News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
On top of ticket price increases, food price increases, soda price increases annually... all while the parks remain delapitated.

Can you Imagine the good press that they'd get if say they didn't increase ticket prices one year while Universal did? That's assuming TDO cared about the goodwill of the company of course :rolleyes:

It's just about igers golden parachute...and if either of these unimaginative clowns that apparently are groomed to take over do...it will be about theirs.

That's your corporate strategy to 2035.

What's shocking is this: were rasulo and staggs pushed out because they weren't corporate enough and "too creative"?

...I'm trying to digest that one 😳

Scuttle

Safe to safe, with almost three thousand post on this site alone, this very well may be the straw that breaks the camels back with an awful lot of people
Doubtful but I sure hope so. Disney (TDO) need to be sent a message finally. I'm a DRP shareholder, but I value the customers experience and I'd rather have them reinvest in themselves and miss the quarterly earnings report once or twice to reinvest in the business. I'm not talking stock buybacks either... I'm talking reinvest in infrastructure, increase pay for housekeeping and other hard working services, fix broken AAs, reinvest in new monorails, reinvest in new boats and ferries, build more gondolas that actually connect more than a few resorts, bring back random topiaries, I could go on and on.

John park hopper

There are just too many cars on WDW property and with all the new resorts being built something needs to be done to reduce them. The new Star Wars resort, the new one in front of Epcot, the River Country resort, the new Tower at Swan and Dolphin and others not yet announced. When all is said and done you will have thousands of new rooms and cars on property if something isn't done. Maybe charging at the resort isn't the answer but no longer giving free parking at the Parks to people staying onsite.
Someone who drives to the resort and park their car and uses Disney transportation to and from the parks what negative effect does that have. Peope staying off site or visiting the parks for the day yes the park parking lots are reaching capacity. How does charging for parking at the resorts on site eliminate that. Please explain your thughts

Horizons1

Nothing is going to break the camel’s back. Disney will not revert this policy because over time outrage will die and this will become the norm. It’s the same logic behind how the parks are run into the ground. Over time the less and less becomes the norm and standard, and then that standard becomes all that people have ever known. It just takes time. Disney knows and operates off of this idea, and it works wonderfully for them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Someone who drives to the resort and park their car and uses Disney transportation to and from the parks what negative effect does that have. Peope staying off site or visiting the parks for the day yes the park parking lots are reaching capacity. How does charging for parking at the resorts on site eliminate that. Please explain your thughts

This has absolutely nothing to do with parking lot space...but here's the valid angles:

1. Cash grab
2. Pushing to Minnie vans (bigger cash cow)
3. Another "benefit" to buy $200 dvc points

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nothing is going to break the camel’s back. Disney will not revert this policy because over time outrage will die and this will become the norm. It’s the same logic behind how the parks are run into the ground. Over time the less and less becomes the norm and standard, and then that standard becomes all that people have ever known. It just takes time. Disney knows and operates off of this idea, and it works wonderfully for them.

Agree...though I'm starting to wonder how much notice we'll get when they finally do run the ship aground.

People better buy the disney streaming cable...if they do not, the next recession may actually destroy them based on their using park price increases as a stock/dividend crutch

eliza61nyc

How is this practice fair to those who don't cheat the 60-day Fastpass window for resort guests? Why are people still able to keep Fastpass reservations for room nights that they canceled? Basically what you're saying is that they have no problem with reducing Fastpass availability for everyone just because they don't want to pay for parking? I get that the fee introduction is kind of a kick in the pants, but that's not an excuse to cheat in such an awful way. I've been on the phone and e-mail with Guest Services this morning to make sure they know about this loophole and that they should fix it.

This loophole has been standard practice for years Willow. sorry, not saying it's right or wrong. it is what it is. rumor has been swirling that travel agents have been known to advise clients to do it. Don't know if that is true.

It's especially popular at the Ft. Wilderness campgrounds because they are so cheap (around 50 bucks a day).
Off site guest want the same chance of getting fp for popular rides, it started long before the fee for parking went into effect.

Disney has known about it. Fp's are based on the length of your ticket not the length of you stay onsite. as long as that is how it works, people will take advantage of it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m shocked the parking fee wasn’t structured like the park passes by the day to make it cheaper the longer you stay or even arrive and park for the car the entire trip cheaper fee. I know a lot of people never crank their vehicle once they arrive until they leave to go home.

Oh I wouldn't discount that possibility yet.

Anyone surprised if it's double to park on 12/24 one day? Or triple on 12/31?

yensid67

I just did a yahoo search, "is parking included in room at Disney Parks?" and here is what I found...

PARKING
Guests staying at Disney Resort hotels enjoy complimentary standard parking at Disney Theme Parks, Disney Water Parks and Disney Springs Area.

They have changed EVERYTHING! Its a sad day for Disney fans everywhere!
CRYING DISNEY.jpg
They are crying because of the greed that they see in Management of Disney Parks. They are crying because the vision Uncle Walt had for his parks to a happy place and a place where families could visit is gone!(unless things change) PLEASE CHAT, EMAIL OR CALL WITH YOUR OPINION ON THE NEW PARKING FEES! OUR VOICES CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF WE ALL JUST TAKE 5 MINUTES OUT OF OUR DAY TO DO SOMETHING THAT WILL NOT ONLY IMPACT US, BUT CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR OTHERS! #5MINUTEMAKESADIFFERENCE

yensid67

Just wait, the day is coming when all those nice perks for resort guests are at a fee...Early/Late Magic Hours, the Ferry, Monorail, Bus fee, security bag check fee, all the roads become toll, the put doors on the entrances to Disney Springs and charge and admission, resort guests will start paying for parking at the parks, Disney Springs, etc where the parking is free right now!

Keith2426

We all should have known better with all the new additions coming to WDW and the fact that they are rushing to play catch up with Universal after years of inactivity that they would have to dream up more ways of paying for these new expenditures. Buckle your seatbelts the new parking fee is just the tip of the iceberg.

IanDLBZF

They are crying because of the greed that they see in Management of Disney Parks. They are crying because the vision Uncle Walt had for his parks to a happy place and a place where families could visit is gone!(unless things change) PLEASE CHAT, EMAIL OR CALL WITH YOUR OPINION ON THE NEW PARKING FEES! OUR VOICES CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF WE ALL JUST TAKE 5 MINUTES OUT OF OUR DAY TO DO SOMETHING THAT WILL NOT ONLY IMPACT US, BUT CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR OTHERS! #5MINUTEMAKESADIFFERENCE
And I've said this before too...
"I am calling for a peaceful protest of the Walt Disney World Resort's greedy actions as a result of the implamentions of the overnight parking fees and other money grab actions that have ruined the magic for guests. I call upon YOU the disappointed Disney Fans - will you come together with and protest for Disney to stop taking the magic away from Walt Disney World? I am also urging you to contact Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer and Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs and tell them you are feed up with Disney!!
THIS HAS GONE TO FAR! ITS TIME FOR US TO RISE UP AND TO SPEAK WITH OUR VOICES RATHER THAN OUR WALLETS!
#stopDisneyGreed #wearethe99percent #occupyorlando"

Nubs70

I don't know about "saving thousands," but as far as the trip to Scotland that I mentioned went, the numbers were at least in the same ballpark:

- DH and I paid a total of $6,400 for a 10-day "Best of Scotland" Rick Steves Tour, which included hotel/B&B, most of our food including a couple of upscale dining meals with alcohol, a guide and motor coach transportation, and all of our touring admissions (museums, castles, ferry boats, tram service, art galleries, whiskey distillery tasting and tour, Loch Ness river cruise, etc.). We paid an additional $1,100 for economy airfare and $500 for additional meals and souvenirs. Total cost for 10 days was $8,000, or $800/day.

- For us to spend 10 days at WDW in a deluxe hotel (which offers fewer amenities than the places we stayed in Scotland, where we enjoyed daily hot breakfasts and even oceanside views, but it's the closest comparator) -- let's say Beach Club pool view during the same end of September-beginning of October time period we went to Scotland, with parkhopper tickets -- the total cost is $8,067. Add $600 for roundtrip airfare on JetBlue and our total is nearly $8,700. But WAIT, we still need to eat! Add in 10 days' worth of the DDP for over $1,300 and the total cost for 10 days at WDW is $10,000, or $1,000/day).

I realize there are ways to make either trip more or less expensive, but if I'm trying to craft a Disney trip that has an apples-to-apples comparison with the accommodations, amenities and activities that were involved in our 10-day Scotland tour, that's how the numbers shake out.

Last summer, I did 14 days (7 Scotland/7 Berlin) for about $8500 for family of 3. Used air BnB, flights from DTW to Glasgow, Glasgow to Berlin, Berlin to DTW. Ironically, it took less planning than WDW.

yensid67

And to think, I DO NOT EVEN STAY ON PROPERTY! But I do think its wrong for others to have to pay higher prices! I would LOVE to see everyone with a current reservation for any hotel on property, to cancel and move it to off site hotel...and tell Disney that is what you are doing! Maybe if they get enough doing that they may do something!

eliza61nyc

Those people need to plan my vacations. I don’t know how they’re saving thousands by doing Europe instead!

Really not that hard 21. Now this is just for me and one advantage I have is that I live near 3 major international airports (Philly, Newark and JFK). Airfare is the big budget killer for most folks.

So lets look at my trip to Paris last year 6 nights/7 days. first I did not have to spend 1300 dollars in park tickets for 3 people. You can get a museum pass that will get you admission to almost all major attractions for what 50 bucks a head. Next I got 2 rooms and r/t coach airfare for 3 adults 3300.00 that's was including taxes, transfer fees etc. This was for a 3.5 star hotel. so probably on par with wilderness lodge and Contemporary but not the Grand Floridian.

So without going into food a week in Paris for 3 with airfare from philly and all our attractions ran us 4,000.00 bucks. let's do Disney shall we. 5 day park hoppers for each person from undercover tourist? 450.00 per person. total $1350.00
r/t flights from philly to orlando 287.00 pp = 861.00
room at the Wilderness lodge for 6 nights/7 days was 2100.00 with a 20% passholder discount.

So my Disney vacation was actually more expensive than going to Paris. And you know darn well the food in Paris was much cheaper and better

Now of course there are ways to save at both locations but this is my fear with Disney, families are figuring out that there are simply way more options in the same price range that give better value.

seascape

Agree...realize that you're disputing with the same duster argument: "all that disney does is correct"

The stance kills any valid points made.
I actually have said I hate parking fees and would never pay it . I was the first person to suggest driving to the airport long term lots and park for $3.00 a day and use magic express. I also suggested it would be a great opportunity to build a parking lot on 192 and provide a shuttle to hotels. Then I suggested Disney should build a huge lot at Flamingo Crossing and provide one round trip ticket to customers.

Now for anyone to say that the parking lots at MK, Epcot, HS and AK never fill up is crazy. When SWGE opens up the lot will be full everyday. The only solution to allow locals and those staying off-site to visit the parks is to stop resort guests from driving there. That is why the skyline is being built to value resorts and not just deluxe and medium. The roads and parking lots can't handle what the demand will be. A much larger mass transit system is needed.

Kingtut

There are just too many cars on WDW property and with all the new resorts being built something needs to be done to reduce them. The new Star Wars resort, the new one in front of Epcot, the River Country resort, the new Tower at Swan and Dolphin and others not yet announced. When all is said and done you will have thousands of new rooms and cars on property if something isn't done. Maybe charging at the resort isn't the answer but no longer giving free parking at the Parks to people staying onsite.
If TDO can't figure out how to handle their planned growth then maybe they shouldn't be adding all of the new resorts until they get an solution that works. As it is they have decided that the capacity of the 4 parks is all they are willing to build/support/operate ( the new additions are adding minimal daily guest capacity to what is being replaced and will not support the folks staying at those new resorts you mention). So you have a resort whose main attraction is the theme parks where TDO will not add capacity but they will build every hotel room where they can find space. ?????

After thinking about it for a while I am really coming around to the thought that TDO at some point is going to drastically limit the number of people into the parks who are not staying in a Disney owned room. You you want to take little Bobby and Mary to the Magic Kingdom you better plan on staying onsite unless you want your visit to be limited to the new fifth gate - The Historical Ticket and Transportation Center where you can ride the exciting state of the art 1970's parking trams, the 18th Century Boat, or the past future themed decrepit run down Monorail - but you can't get into any of the other parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom