News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

21stamps

I just stayed at POP last week, and while the resort was likely at capacity, There was always a ton of extra parking spots.....

There was barely any parking available at all when I was staying at GF on Thanksgiving weekend in 2016.
My girlfriend had to park by the convention center.. all the way at the end. I guarantee that the lot wasn’t full from hotel guests only.

Scuttle

Just think of the business opportunity for a parking lot on 192 proving free transportation to Disney hotels and back. This is just like off-site airport parking. I think charging $8.00 a day would be very profitable.
Thatd be hilarious if a business decided to try that. Not sure it'd work with ride sharing these days but still funny to think about.

Figmentation

“Do you have a car?”

Nope!

Problem solved.

Except they'll look at the computer:

"The front gate says you used your magicband to get in."

Taxi's don't use magic bands to get in.

Saying you don't have a car won't save you here.
If you have a car, you're using your magicband to get in... and I'm sure they'll be using a computer to track that stuff.

Mainahman

There was barely any parking available at all when I was staying at GF on Thanksgiving weekend in 2016.
My girlfriend had to park by the convention center.. all the way at the end. I guarantee that the lot wasn’t full from hotel guests only.
Busier times of year I could see, but the day guests is where the money should be coming from. Not the people already paying insane amounts to sleep there.

tissandtully

All the monorail resorts have ridiculously small parking lots, which is why they usually are more stringent at enforcing parking limits and entry.

Mainahman

If you have a car, you're using your magicband to get in... and I'm sure they'll be using a computer to track that stuff.
Absolutely! They will get you one way or another, or a boot for you! or even better yet tow you to ticket and transportation center, where you have to fight in those lines to get your car back.

I can see the TV show now. Parking wars Disney edition

LSLS

I have read what the announcement says, and I do not see anything about "resort fees".

I think WDW resorts/hotels should be like every other major hotel in Orlando and other major destinations and charge everyone that wants to park at the resorts regardless of shopping or Dining (except signature dining).

I can also tell you that the prices are far less than what you will pay at the Hilton or Marriott for parking, plus then you will still have to pay the resort fee.

Maybe the parking fees will go to getting new monorails. :D

How many people (including myself) park at a resort to avoid paying the parking lot fee at the parks? This would put an end to it.

Before anyone rips me for being in favor of the fees, please note that I work in Hotels /Resorts and I have a understanding of what WDW is trying to do here. It is not really about charging people more money (yes it is), but it is about getting more people to use the Magical Express and / or Minnie Van system (trapping people on Disney property).

Most are assuming resort fees will be next. The problem with what you are saying is it won't put an end to parking at the resorts to head to the parks for free, you can still park for free during the day, it's only overnight guests being punished.. I think most understand they are doing it to keep people on site and bring in a lot more revenue, but it is still insane considering what they charge for rooms at this point.

Amos1784

Actually multiple times that I have been in an Uber the Security has asked to scan my magic band when entering.

However I agree the "nope" I don't have a car will not work, there will be something in place.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't understand the logic of charging overnight guests who are actually staying there and not charging day visitors etc

I think it's another angle of the 'just get more money'.

Notice it's a charge that will be automatically added to your checkout. You'll also notice that such a policy about 'overnight' makes it even harder to enforce towing, not making it easier.. as unless Disney is handing out parking passes, it still is hard for the company to effectively tell who is a short term parker, who is a overnighter, who is overstayed their period, etc. They can now easily tell from your MB that you have parking rights when entering the lot but the 'how to deal with short term parking' is the same problem it has always been.

TL: DR - This just tacking on a per night charge is a blanket, easy way to boost revenues.. and won't do a damn thing to actually address parking abuses.

Figmentation

I'm assuming they are going to ask at check in if you are parking a car, and then apply it to the bill. I don't see them installing hardware across the resort this quickly to do anything further.

I believe it'll be pretty easy to track these using magicbands coming in and out of a resort.
The only issue this would cause is if you're staying at a resort and you have family or friends locally driving you around.

21stamps

I could *almost* understand this if it applied to the resorts where parking is an issue (monorail/Epcot) IF they also included a fee for day guests to park, ADR or not.

But it's just laughable to think about them charging to park at some of these other more far-flung resorts where parking is never an issue

Yeah, I don’t say this often.. but this is a stupid move by Disney. Either charge to park, or don’t. But dayguests are free and overnight pays? So stupid.
Busier times of year I could see, but the day guests is where the money should be coming from. Not the people already paying insane amounts to sleep there.
I agree! That’s my one and only complain about staying at the monorail resorts.

All the monorail resorts have ridiculously small parking lots, which is why they usually are more stringent at enforcing parking limits and entry.

They did enforce parking at Poly when I was there over Labor Day in ‘15. My friend was forced to valet until she could meet me and get a pass. I’ve heard they do this on 4th of July and other holidays as well.. but it doesn’t sound like they enforce it often.

AshaNeOmah

SO much for us that live close enough to drive. Well to me 700 miles in a car costs me about 40 bucks 1 way in gas. Sadly paying the 25 a night ( hoping to upgrade to deluxe next time) and gas, is still cheaper than flying from Nashville to Orlando where theres no good route other than up north and back down...Going to have to find a few dollars savings elsewhere...

I drive down from Chattanooga an average of twice a year. Somethimes more.

This is the first change that I actually find distasteful.

deeevo

Since you get free parking at the parks when you stay on property.

1521046726590.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom