News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Many hotels charge for parking though. And no one blinks an eye (where's the outrage at Universal, who does this). I don't support this decision at all, but just saying ... Universal charges to park at their resorts, which bothered me, considering I have an annual pass and don't pay to park at the parks .... it's ridiculous they charge for parking. Disney should be different but are we really surprised by this? I'm disappointed. But we should have seen this coming.
My sentiments would mirror yours. Not surprised, just disappointed.

disneygeek90

Except it is much more lucrative to an AP to park at the Boardwalk or Yacht/Beach Club and enter WS for a bite to eat and drink, especially during festivals. It's also easier to park at say contemp and walk over than park at the TTC. It happens A LOT.
While it's convenient in theory, actually succeeding is quite difficult as parking at the Boardwalk can be a huge hassle. Also, the walk to Epcot is a lot longer than it appears.

seascape

I don't yhink they can just add a parking fee to the DVC resorts in the middle of the year. DVC owners pay for all the costs associated with the resort, that included parking and transportation. In other words we already pay for parking, magic express and the Disney World Transportation system. BTW many of us DVC Members pay for transportation twice as we have annual passes too.

Casper Gutman

To be fair, I have never stayed at Universal for this EXACT reason. But with how much the prices have gone up on hotels, I just can't imagine paying that here. I can't imagine paying $170 for All Star Sports and then a $20 fee on top of it, or $280 for POR and then another $20. Very anecdotal, but it would push us off site for good (and when we go off site, we venture to other parks/attractions in Orlando and spend less days at Disney).
Yup - when you're staying at Portofino for 225 a night, parking fees aren't as infuriating as when you're paying twice that for the dethemed Yacht and Beach. Plus, the upkeep is better and it's much more pleasant to get around Uni without a car.

Of course, it's even cheaper to stay off-property and just drive to the WDW or Uni park of your choice, parking fees or no.

Just as a general plea, please, PLEASE stop joining DVC.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I'm flying, and I'm renting a car because I have an infant.
Cool, although I wouldn't say you're in the majority. Others that fly who once would rent a car, may not any longer. Uber will probably be used instead. No point in having a car sitting in a lot for 7 days spending $200 bucks on parking for no reason.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
the devil will be in the details.... I've heard some things but I'll wait until I see it happen and with the facts before I know what to believe

in my opinion... it should be if you are staying at that resort or maybe have a dining reservation there (although some abuse this too) then it should be free. I actually could see them charging AP holders or even DVC members that aren't staying at that resort a fee... however this would bring into question pool hoping for DVC members at some resorts as well.

Casper Gutman

If it's more hassle than it's worth, why not park at Epcot and take the shuttle in?
Also, Disney should be actively encouraging it - it makes guests walk past a lot of shops and restaurants. The idea is supposed to be to encourage folks to spend as much time on WDW property as possible so they drop cash.

disneygeek90

Also, Disney should be actively encouraging it - it makes guests walk past a lot of shops and restaurants. The idea is supposed to be to encourage folks to spend as much time on WDW property as possible so they drop cash.
The biggest problem with this is the lot at the Boardwalk is already insanely small. It doesn't take much for it to fill up, and there's not a ton of movement once people are parked.

disnyfan89

If it's more hassle than it's worth, why not park at Epcot and take the shuttle in?
Time to pass through the toll plaza, time to park, time to board/ride the tram, line to get through security, line to get through the turnstile.
And if you are going specifically to drink in WS (Especially during food and wine and other festivals) the time to walk through future world.
While you still have some of these to deal with at IG it's usually much simpler/less busy than going to the main plaza. I imagine the Skyliner will have a huge impact on this "Shortcut" in the future.

Casper Gutman

The biggest problem with this is the lot at the Boardwalk is already insanely small. It doesn't take much for it to fill up, and there's not a ton of movement once people are parked.
Yeah, this has always been an issue at Boardwalk - given it's intended function as a smaller Pleasure Island, they never provided adequate parking.

SeaCastle

Any chance of this being a bait and switch- Disney announces new (high) resort parking fees, faces backlash, "reconsiders" as facesaving measure, then comes back with a slightly lower fee that they had planned all along?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom