WDW Resort Reservations: Are they truly reservations?

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
But even still...the reason I gave needs to be understood - because it is 100% the truth.

It has nothing to do with requests or trashed rooms...it’s about filling the rooms 100% which WDW hotels do like no others on earth.

People think of it like Marriott or holiday inn express...that doesn’t happen there.

I agree completely. There is a really good post on another site explaining the difficulty Disney (and other hotels) have booking rooms - a particular class of room may be booked through May 23 and available again May 27, so if you're looking to book May 24-28, you can't get it. But the issue here is someone purportedly wanting to book a room and knowing their exact room number as of the day of booking. That isn't real and it doesn't happen. The closest I've seen to this (and I travel EXTENSIVELY) is hotels that let you pick your room WHEN YOU CHECK IN about 24 hours in advance, or maybe when you book a room block in advance and they extend you the courtesy of booking a particular class of room.

Demeter Tess

I do wish it worked more like Disney Cruise Line, where you choose your room number at the time you book. (Or if you want to save a few bucks, you can opt for "Best Available Room" and allow Disney to choose your room. At worst you end up with a standard room. At best you get a sweet upgrade.)

tonymu

Premium Member
I totally get your frustration, Pappy Tom. (Disney expects us to have to plan and book everything for its budgeting convenience months ahead of time, but won't do us the same courtesy by guaranteeing rooms, park hours, attraction availability, etc. in advance).
Yup

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do wish it worked more like Disney Cruise Line, where you choose your room number at the time you book. (Or if you want to save a few bucks, you can opt for "Best Available Room" and allow Disney to choose your room. At worst you end up with a standard room. At best you get a sweet upgrade.)

Question:
Does everyone on the a cruise ship get on and off at the same time??

tonymu

Premium Member
...Nope....

You can’t guarantee hotel rooms!! Not under any circumstances. This is nuts
Sorry, I totally get that. That is why I just quoted the part jabbing Disney for making us plan everything months in advance. I dislike the fact you have to schedule your rides and times and what park you will be in 60 days before your trip. It was just a gratuitous jab at fastpass. Count me as a person who would rather go back to just standby lines.

TrojanUSC

No hotels operate like this, as it would be impossible. Cruise lines can do it since all guests check out at the same time every week. At a mega resort like Disney, you have guests staying for various amounts of time, extending without notice, etc. Just no way to pre-block a room number months in advance. You can request your preferred bedding, as you can with most hotels.

Not sure how booking with Disney is any different than anywhere else.

Patcheslee

It appears that is going to be an option in the near future for Caribbean Beach Resort. I would imagine they will probably roll it out at all applicable resorts.
View attachment 310568
I like this vut as a group of only 3 we don't need the 5th sleeper, because they charge a lower rate without the guaranteed 5th I haven't seen one open up since I've held my booking 2 months ago. It's a nice option but from my understanding almost all rooms at Carribean have one so why pay the extra?

Also the only time I've seen any hotel show at booking what floor you'd be on was when we planned to visit Chicago. Sure you could book a room that was on a certain floor, but it cost extra.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sorry, I totally get that. That is why I just quoted the part jabbing Disney for making us plan everything months in advance. I dislike the fact you have to schedule your rides and times and what park you will be in 60 days before your trip. It was just a gratuitous jab at fastpass. Count me as a person who would rather go back to just standby lines.

No disagreements there. But prebooked room assignments is mathematically impossible. That’s a clear distinction.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I like this vut as a group of only 3 we don't need the 5th sleeper, because they charge a lower rate without the guaranteed 5th I haven't seen one open up since I've held my booking 2 months ago. It's a nice option but from my understanding almost all rooms at Carribean have one so why pay the extra?

Also the only time I've seen any hotel show at booking what floor you'd be on was when we planned to visit Chicago. Sure you could book a room that was on a certain floor, but it cost extra.

They have been building/converting all the DVC singles to 5 spots with a drop down bed.

It’s a pretty clear tactic to do this at carribean...because they’re turning it into a low grade timeshare with the option to expand that concept more.

nickys

Premium Member
They have been building/converting all the DVC singles to 5 spots with a drop down bed.

It’s a pretty clear tactic to do this at carribean...because they’re turning it into a low grade timeshare with the option to expand that concept more.

How does adding the 5th bed at some CBR rooms equate to “turning it into a low grade timeshare”? Have they applied for a timeshare licence? I am willing to put money on that they have not, and will not be doing so!

It just means they are adding beds to some rooms to cater to families of 5 (or 4 who want separate sleeper spaces for a boy and girl). Who at the moment aren’t accommodated everywhere.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How does adding the 5th bed at some CBR rooms equate to “turning it into a low grade timeshare”? Have they applied for a timeshare licence? I am willing to put money on that they have not, and will not be doing so!

It just means they are adding beds to some rooms to cater to families of 5 (or 4 who want separate sleeper spaces for a boy and girl). Who at the moment aren’t accommodated everywhere.

It would allow them to do an easy overflow/expansion with minimal construction costs...if they choose to do so.

This makes more sense from that angle than it does allowing the soon to be former “moderate” customers the ability to not book multiple rooms.

nickys

Premium Member
I thought all rooms at CBR had the pull-down?

According to the website, some standard rooms just have two queens, others have two queens and a pull-down.

They have now added a bookable category of 5th sleeper standard which therefore guarantees that pull-down bed.

JennSmith

For example, a family of four WILL NOT get an Animal Kingdom Lodge king bed room because those rooms have a maximum capacity of 3.
We were there in December of last year, family of 4 with the youngest being 8. I asked for a king bed room at check in and got it. Just to be clear, I asked nicely too lol. I didn't demand it or ask like a jerk.

CaptainAmerica

We were there in December of last year, family of 4 with the youngest being 8. I asked for a king bed room at check in and got it. Just to be clear, I asked nicely too lol. I didn't demand it or ask like a jerk.
I wasn't clear. You asked and they gave it to you, that's fine. My point was more that a family who doesn't want a king bed won't be stuck with one against their will.

Skibum1970

I think another point is that sometimes (if available) people extend their stay. when that happens, they probably request being able to stay in the same room that they were already in. I know that, due to availability, that would be rare that someone could extend easily but we have had to do that in the past (just not at WDW). Thus, a specific room may not be available. Plus, what if it needed a quick refurb due to the previous tenant?

Mainly, I would think that WDW wants to get you a room as quickly as possible. If a room fitting your reservation becomes available (ex. water view in the Magnolia section of POR), WDW will assign that room to you so that you can occupy it. I think that they even state that "requests can be made but not guaranteed" on the website. So, as @CaptainAmerica America said, a lot of variables come into play and I haven't listed nearly all of them. Even the speed of housekeeping, checking out times, number of people checking out that day, location of the room all factor in.

As others have stated, no hotel guarantees what room you will have prior to checking in. With as many rooms as Disney has to manage, it would be a bit of a nightmare scenario.

nickys

Premium Member
I think another point is that sometimes (if available) people extend their stay. when that happens, they probably request being able to stay in the same room that they were already in. I know that, due to availability, that would be rare that someone could extend easily but we have had to do that in the past (just not at WDW). Thus, a specific room may not be available. Plus, what if it needed a quick refurb due to the previous tenant?

Mainly, I would think that WDW wants to get you a room as quickly as possible. If a room fitting your reservation becomes available (ex. water view in the Magnolia section of POR), WDW will assign that room to you so that you can occupy it. I think that they even state that "requests can be made but not guaranteed" on the website. So, as @CaptainAmerica America said, a lot of variables come into play and I haven't listed nearly all of them. Even the speed of housekeeping, checking out times, number of people checking out that day, location of the room all factor in.

As others have stated, no hotel guarantees what room you will have prior to checking in. With as many rooms as Disney has to manage, it would be a bit of a nightmare scenario.

To pick up on one point.

Rooms are assigned about 5 days prior to your arrival. That’s just how far ahead they work. Which is why Touring Plans send s the faxes at that point.

Assigning rooms has been likened to one giant game of Jenna. Officially, as @Master Yoda has said, the CMs are told to bin faxes. In practice, this will depend on the CM and who trained them. Clearly they don’t all just bin them.

However I still think the best way to make requests is direct with the reservation CMs. That way it is on your reservation. But the most important thing there is not to select any of the online check-in options. That over-writes anything written on your reservation.

I see nothing wrong with making requests. As long as people realise they are requests. What I think is out of order is complaining about a room assignment. Somebody gettimg angry about their room assignment is totally obnoxious. And if I were the CM, I would refuse to move you the minute you utter certain key phrases or raise your voice. Like “we’ve paid a lot of money”, “do you realise how long ago ....”. Thinking about it, I am going to correct myself. I would move them to the room over-looking the garbage dumpster instantly!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom