WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DVCakaCarlF

Wouldn't surprise me. I don't think the leaders in Florida are so interested in the data, but rather the business aspect of it. Then again, the reason why Barbershops and Salons are opening up Monday is because they specifically set up a meeting to convince the Governor to do it. Guess it worked.
Lobbying dollars at work...election year, too.

Epcotbob

Wouldn't surprise me. I don't think the leaders in Florida are so interested in the data, but rather the business aspect of it. Then again, the reason why Barbershops and Salons are opening up Monday is because they specifically set up a meeting to convince the Governor to do it. Guess it worked.

Sure, they definitely have a more pro-business/economy leaning so that will factor into their decision making.

Even though Disney would have the green light to do limited opening of the parks at phase 2, it’s pretty much a given that they will take a wait and see approach. But I still think they will start their limited openings of the parks in June.

ToTBellHop

I have a feeling the more video from SDL, HKDL etc gets posted, the less resistant people will be about wearing masks.
We’ve come around, honestly. A month ago, we were a hard “no”. Now, we realize life must go on and are making plans for more fun with our kids. We are not canceling a year of their childhood. With that said, we are hoping to visit Universal and take a Disney Cruise first, and push off WDW to next February so they can figure out exactly how all this will work (and what will stay long-term).

Tom P.

We’ve come around, honestly. A month ago, we were a hard “no”. Now, we realize life must go on and are making plans for more fun with our kids. We are not canceling a year of their childhood. With that said, we are hoping to visit Universal and take a Disney Cruise first, and push off WDW to next February so they can figure out exactly how all this will work (and what will stay long-term).
I'm curious... why would you put a cruise ahead of Walt Disney World when society is dealing with a pandemic? I'm not being snarky; I'm genuinely curious about the logic. Cruise ships are known to be hotbeds for transmitting disease due to the close quarters. I would think WDW would be a far less likely place to catch a virus, statistically speaking.

Giss Neric

This is what I'm talking about. Reduced park capacity and what do we have. Walk-ons on most attractions. I would be riding Tron 10 times if it was 5 minutes all day. Mine Train and Peter Pan 5 minutes.

I would definitely not postpone till all is back to normal. I would gladly wear a mask if these are the wait times back here.

Giss Neric

What’s time was that board filmed? Judging by the FP return times, it appears to be not long after opening.
They opened at around 9:30 AM and will close at 7. On a normal day, an hour after park opening Pirates, Soarin and Tron reaches two hours.

Peter Pan's Shadow

Someone on Twitter brought up a good point. If they have to beef up staffing or general staffing but reduce attendance. Would Disney even make much of a profit? They might stay closed longer to save more money.
It doesn't work like a store that you or I would own. It's not about the day or the short term, it's about the big picture and they have to get back after it to make the Disney machine work. It's coming soon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Someone on Twitter brought up a good point. If they have to beef up staffing or general staffing but reduce attendance. Would Disney even make much of a profit? They might stay closed longer to save more money.
When asked the specific question Chappie said on the earnings call that they would not open the parks if they were not contributing positive operating income. In other words they won’t open and run at a loss just to be open. It’s possible they do a very brief (week or 2) ”soft opening“ to get CMs up to speed on procedures but outside of that the parks won’t open if they can’t make money.

There will be a lot of increased costs for additional staff to enforce new rules, but some of that can be offset by reduced costs from closing some more expensive to operate rides, most or all parades, night shows and theater shows plus cutting most character and some entertainment staff. They can also further cut costs by closing all or parts of some of the resorts. That reduces some variable overhead directly related to the resort closed plus transport costs. There’s also a consistent rumor that EPCOT won’t open for a while so they won’t cut prices for multi-day tickets but you have 1/4 of parks closed.

aliceismad

What are the legal ramifications for Disney to consider?

It was suggested that Disney be sued for the poor child killed by the alligator. Could Disney or other businesses be sued by someone who contracts covid-19? If you are at Disney for a week, stay at Disney, visit Disney parks, eat in Disney restaurants, and then get covid, would you have grounds to sue? People are already trying to sue to cruise lines because they said the cruise lines didn't do enough to protect people. Perhaps there are measures that Disney feels it must adhere to, such as masks, just to CYA.

havoc315

Don't agree on the mask part though.
I believe they are essentially useless under most circumstances.

Most studies disagree with you.

"Models show that if 80 percent of people wear masks that are 60 percent effective, easily achievable with cloth, we can get to an effective R0 of less than one. That’s enough to halt the spread of the disease. Many countries already have more than 80 percent of their population wearing masks in public, including Hong Kong, where most stores deny entry to unmasked customers, and the more than 30 countries that legally require masks in public spaces, such as Israel, Singapore, and the Czech Republic. "

havoc315

What are the legal ramifications for Disney to consider?

It was suggested that Disney be sued for the poor child killed by the alligator. Could Disney or other businesses be sued by someone who contracts covid-19? If you are at Disney for a week, stay at Disney, visit Disney parks, eat in Disney restaurants, and then get covid, would you have grounds to sue? People are already trying to sue to cruise lines because they said the cruise lines didn't do enough to protect people. Perhaps there are measures that Disney feels it must adhere to, such as masks, just to CYA.

The answer is yes.
But there is a lot of nuance.
You can sue anybody for anything -- But let's look at 3 stages:
1 Will it get immediately dismissed?

Answer is, no, it probably would not get immediately dismissed with some exceptions. If Congress or Florida legislature pass some sort of law giving immunity, then it would be immediately dismissed. Lawsuits by employees could be immediately dismissed, because they have to go through the worker's compensation system.

But a suit by a guest, unless there is some new law blocking those suits, would not immediately get dismissed.

So Disney now has to, at a minimum, spend thousands of dollars defending the suit. Even if Disney were to eventually "win" they would still be out between $30,000 and $300,000 defending the lawsuit.

2. Would it get dismissed as summary judgment or get up through trial?

Here, we really get into the gray, and get into Disney's control. We look at the evidence -- Is there sufficient evidence that a jury *could* conclude Disney acted unreasonably in protecting public safety. Is there evidence Disney wasn't cleaning thoroughly enough. Was Disney dangerously cramming people close together.
If Disney can really show they took EVERY reasonable step.. then MAYBE they can get the case dismissed here. But this is still pretty unlikely.
Also, Disney would face a somewhat unfair situation here:
If they get 1 case dismissed.... great, but it doesn't really establish a standard for other cases. (other plaintiffs can't be penalized for a case they weren't involved in)
But if 1 plaintiff survives a summary judgment motion, it can establish a precedent that can be used against Disney in other cases. (since Disney was involved in the case they lost, it can now be used as a precedent for all the other cases against Disney).

So what types of cases might get dismissed?
Scenario: The infection rate has gotten very low. Disney has taken extraordinary steps to control the infection. In 1 month period, only 10 infections and 1 death are traced to Disney. Disney might be able to get the 1 case dismissed, as certainly they can't be expected to avoid all sickness.
Scenario: In a 1 month period, 2,000 new infections are traced to Disney along with 20-30 deaths. While Disney has taken some social distancing steps, there are still locations in the park that lead to people congregating. Good luck getting those cases dismissed.

3 Would it win at trial?

The answer simply doesn't matter. Disney likely wouldn't take a case to trial. It would be settled before it got to this point.
And here, we look at the strength of the case. If there was a strong case -- Evidence Disney knew the in-park transmission rate was rising, evidence they knew there were specific locations where people were congregating dangerously, evidence they weren't disinfecting fully.... and a younger person died as a result -- it would be a huge settlement.
Very weak evidence -- extremely isolated cases, Disney was taking a ton of reasonable steps, an older person.... it would be a small settlement.

But you can see why it is in Disney's interest to be conservative and take all reasonable infection control steps:
1 -- fewer infections means fewer lawsuits.
2 -- better infection control makes it more likely you can win the lawsuits (or reduce the prospective settlement)

Would Disney rather defend 5 lawsuits which they may settle for an average of $200,000 each... or defend 50 lawsuits that they have to settle for $2 million each?

Here is what their lawyers are telling them right now, "you want to reduce your risk exposure"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom