WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One of the companies I use for CME still shows a conference occuring at YC/BC 6/5-6/7 if that means anything.
They haven’t cancelled hotel reservations for the first week of June. You just can’t book new ones. They have been canceling one week at a time and haven’t gotten to June yet. Not saying it will or won’t be cancelled.

Epcotbob

1589031886897.png

seascape

I pray for the sake of the CMs and the central FL economy that Disney opens soon. Disney will be ok as a company but my concern is that the CMs and the central FL economy don’t have much shelf life left.
I agree. That is why at the very start of this I said isolate those at risk and have everyone else work and play. I pray for Central Florida and every other area being destroyed by Covid19 and the close down.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have a July 6-16 booked and was sent a survey today on my trip.
At least twice in the survey cast members and guests both wearing face coverings was mentioned. Probably no surprise since Shanghai is doing the same, but worth a mention. One section, pasted below, was about what would make me consider canceling my trip. I think this provides some concrete insight into their thinking, as well as expectation that in some capacity WDW will be open by July. As a side note, under normal circumstances they would be looking to appease the largest number of guests. With such limited capacity, I'm curious how they'll use the data. Some restrictions, which might drive away large groups of people, might then become favorable.
View attachment 469337
View attachment 469341
Interesting. Thanks for posting. :) I definitely think Disney is still deciding when to open and wants to have all of their ducks lined up with as much market data as possible.

I think part of this is to judge what demand will be under different scenarios. I know there’s a lot of focus on what the situation on the ground is in central FL, but Disney knows that people need to show up from all over. A lot of the areas that have been least impacted are also less populated. Population centers (particularly the Northeast) have been hit hard and that’s one of the primary sources of customers for Disney World. I’m sure they are concerned that if case loads stay high in those areas less people will travel.

The other thing they are probably trying to determine is how likely are you to cancel your reservation. If enough people check yes to some of the items on things closed that gives them a general idea on how many people may cancel in different scenarios. On the resort question it is highly likely that not every resort opens or opens at full capacity when they re-open things. There could be a bunch of moving people around at least in the very beginning.

Epcotbob

I pray for the sake of the CMs and the central FL economy that Disney opens soon. Disney will be ok as a company but my concern is that the CMs and the central FL economy don’t have much shelf life left.

Yeah, it’s always the little guy that gets hurt when the economy takes a hit. It’s easy to say “oh the company will be fine”, but tell that to the poor worker living paycheck to paycheck who just got laid off because there is no work.

The head of the Orlando airport authority said he doesn’t expect travel to recover to pre-covid levels till 2025. Sure “the airport will be fine”, but thats a lot of misery for the people who rely on that for their livelihoods.

CLEtoWDW

Yeah, it’s always the little guy that gets hurt when the economy takes a hit. It’s easy to say “oh the company will be fine”, but tell that to the poor worker living paycheck to paycheck who just got laid off because there is no work.

The head of the Orlando airport authority said he doesn’t expect travel to recover to pre-covid levels till 2025. Sure “the airport will be fine”, but thats a lot of misery for the people who rely on that for their livelihoods.
I think domestic travel rebounds significantly in 2021 but I think international travel could take until 2025 and obviously this couldn’t have come at a worse time for MCO given the recent expansion.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think domestic travel rebounds significantly in 2021 but I think international travel could take until 2025 and obviously this couldn’t have come at a worse time for MCO given the recent expansion.
If they have a vaccine before next summer I could see a big rebound for travel from pent up demand from this summer.

brianstl

As far as vaccines are concerned I heard that the ones that go to human trials are starting mass production so when/if it clears the inventory will be there to immediately ship out.
People should be very cautious about getting their hopes up for vaccine in the short or medium term. It takes years to develop vaccines. It would be beyond fantastic if we get one before that, but I just think way too many people are under the impression one is just months away.

ToTBellHop

As far as vaccines are concerned I heard that the ones that go to human trials are starting mass production so when/if it clears the inventory will be there to immediately ship out.
Sort of. Mostly, it cuts about 6 months off the far end. But once (if) a vaccine is proven effective, they won’t immediately have 7 billion doses. Luckily for Americans, we will be among the first in line, for better or for worse...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Airline companies aren't as optimistic as you are.
Airlines are circling the bowl

They have to have 77% of the seats filled to break even domestically

How’s that work if they can only sell or are limited to 50% capacity

They’ve lost $113 bil estimated already...

So the they would have to slash the flight schedule to save costs AND charge double...basically.

I know it’s been awhile and the millennial generations have been trained to think money only increases...but here’s where the cycle corrects that. Severe recession...not gonna be fun for really anyone for awhile.

But as a Disney consumer - it’s actually very needed. Most people aren’t gonna like it though.

Last edited:

Driver

Thank you for your concern. Some of us are doing fine others are desperately struggling. On furlough we qualify for FL unemployment and the extra government subsidy. However some CM's don't qualify for the max FL unemployment do to their pay grade. While others used to depend on picking up extra shifts to make ends meet. The alternative of going for another job is not viable because unemployment is high. So in summary we wait and encourage each other to make it through each day and week. And like guest we wait in anticipation for good news. Thank you for caring.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thank you for your concern. Some of us are doing fine others are desperately struggling. On furlough we qualify for FL unemployment and the extra government subsidy. However some CM's don't qualify for the max FL unemployment do to their pay grade. While others used to depend on picking up extra shifts to make ends meet. The alternative of going for another job is not viable because unemployment is high. So in summary we wait and encourage each other to make it through each day and week. And like guest we wait in anticipation for good news. Thank you for caring.
And all this sucks...truly.
Appreciate your perspective without any agenda.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is true. The normal process is to wait until all of the trials are done and there’s approval before starting production. There are already several vaccines in human trials that they already ramped up production under the hopes they will get approved. It cuts 6 months to a year off of the normal time frame.

The most promising vaccine from the Oxford team has already proven 100% effective in monkeys and passed phase 1 of clinical trials. They are running phase 2 and 3 simultaneously right now in England. They are expected results in June on whether it’s effective. One of the largest vaccine producers in the world has already ramped up production on the vaccine assuming it will work. There is a chance that if everything falls perfectly they will have approval and begin distribution as early as September. Several of the US based vaccines are in human trials and if they pan out could be ready to roll by Q1 next year. The government is pumping money into ramping up production early on these projects as well.

peter11435

And most have yet to see any money from unemployment due to the inadequate system.

CLEtoWDW

If they have a vaccine before next summer I could see a big rebound for travel from pent up demand from this summer.
Therapeutics are going to come into play first and most estimates have them available no later than this fall. This would help immensely for the at risk population and would also increase the public’s confidence in recovery from the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom