WDW Railroad-Possible Closure?

bsiev1977

Original Poster
Had read on another WDW related site that the Railroad is to shut down at some point for a period to accomodate the FLE.

Does anyone in the know have any info on this? Will this happen and if so, when?

My family's going in May '11, and we'd be dissapointed if we didn't get to ride.

trr1

I seem to remember that when they built Splash mountain in 1991 it went back and forth from Frontierland to toon town please correct me if I am wong.
So they might do the same thing again

niteobsrvr

Had read on another WDW related site that the Railroad is to shut down at some point for a period to accomodate the FLE.

Does anyone in the know have any info on this? Will this happen and if so, when?

My family's going in May '11, and we'd be dissapointed if we didn't get to ride.

I could see the toontown station closing for a period of time for re-themeing but beyond that I don't see the necessity for closing the RR. Unlike Splash, there is no activity that would directly affect the operation of the trains with the exception of the above mentioned stop unless they would have to reconfigure the tracks to accommodate the far easter portion of the dumbo/pixie area.

raven

This would be Phase II and possibly after the first of the year. Just a guestimate. And there is no longer pixie area planned for over there.

Cmdr_Crimson

One thing I'll miss is the train spiel. I still laugh at the part where after you pass Big Thunder and "magically" enter the backwoods of Virgina hearing the Spirit of Pocahontas singing to John Smith......:lookaroun.....It's amazing to know that a "Spirit" somehow has a full 50 piece orchestra following her don't you think? :lol:

captainkidd

One thing I'll miss is the train spiel. I still laugh at the part where after you pass Big Thunder and "magically" enter the backwoods of Virgina hearing the Spirit of Pocahontas singing to John Smith......:lookaroun.....It's amazing to know that a "Spirit" somehow has a full 50 piece orchestra following her don't you think? :lol:

I agree. These are the little things we love about Disney, and I honestly think, they take them for granted. I was pretty bummed when they changed the narrations on Spaceship Earth and the TTA. I'll be really upset if they change the narration on the WDWRR. Obviously, they'll need to change or edit out any parts about Toontown, but that shouldn't effect the rest of it.

aladdin2007

Thats my favorite part too!!! :wave: So glad Im not the only one. I really hope that doesnt go away, is it suppose to or something? I had not heard. I fear they will replace the narration with the same voice used on TTA now. boring bland and no theme.

rct247

There may be plans to push the railroad track out a bit over near ToonTown. The ToonTown station would be rebuilt, and from what I heard a much nicer one that would also feature restrooms for the area. If this does happen, it will be the first time in quite a while (if at all) that the actual track has been expanded outward. It would also require the railroad to close for a bit.

Take this for what it is. I overheard it from someone's casual conversation, but I'd figured I'd note it here since someone else brought up the closure.

Captain Neo

The Railroad will close for a bit when they demolish ToonTown

Is any of the fantasyland construction visible from the railroad currently?

hosewater

Toontown Station Question...

Before the opening of Birthdayland/Starland/Toontown, did the train stop at the back of the park at all? Or did it just go from Main Street to Frontierland and back around to Main Street?

pumpkin7

The Railroad will close for a bit when they demolish ToonTown

Is any of the fantasyland construction visible from the railroad currently?

there wasn't any visible when we visited a month ago, it's all hidden by trees.

i too hope they don't change the voice on the railroad. i was pleasantly suprised to hear that the guy on the monorail was the same when saying 'please stand clear of the doors' and the last time i went to disney was pre 2000. hopefully it won't change too much but i suppose they will have to add a new speel about the FLE, so may just decide to change the whole thing.

i'm glad they are doing something with toon town, it's starting to look a bit rough around the edges which isn't very disney.

ryno1982

there wasn't any visible when we visited a month ago, it's all hidden by trees.

i too hope they don't change the voice on the railroad. i was pleasantly suprised to hear that the guy on the monorail was the same when saying 'please stand clear of the doors' and the last time i went to disney was pre 2000. hopefully it won't change too much but i suppose they will have to add a new speel about the FLE, so may just decide to change the whole thing.

i'm glad they are doing something with toon town, it's starting to look a bit rough around the edges which isn't very disney.

They've changed the train voice since 2000. It's similar, but it just sounds like an impression of the old guy to be honest.

muteki

I seem to remember that when they built Splash mountain in 1991 it went back and forth from Frontierland to toon town please correct me if I am wong.

By back and forth do you mean it went from FL to TT, then went back in reverse? Or was it a one-way trip, only picking up passengers in FL and dropping them all off in TT, then proceeding around the rest of the loop empty?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think it was shuttle mode between Main Street and Toontown during Splash construction. :shrug:

Wouldn't the Frontierland station have been off limits as it was being rebuilt?
By back and forth do you mean it went from FL to TT, then went back in reverse? Or was it a one-way trip, only picking up passengers in FL and dropping them all off in TT, then proceeding around the rest of the loop empty?

Shuttle mode - meaning back and forth between two stations as opposed to circling the loop.

muteki

I think it was shuttle mode between Main Street and Toontown during Splash construction. :shrug:

Wouldn't the Frontierland station have been off limits as it was being rebuilt?

Shuttle mode - meaning back and forth between two stations as opposed to circling the loop.

So it actually ran backwards? Would have been something to see.

dhall

Before the opening of Birthdayland/Starland/Toontown, did the train stop at the back of the park at all? Or did it just go from Main Street to Frontierland and back around to Main Street?

The second -- went from frontierland all the way around to main street.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom