WDW Railroad-Possible Closure?

RunnerEd

I took the "Behind the Magic Steam Trains Tour" (very cool) where I learned this. The only place that they can service the engines in the park itself is at the Toon Town Fair Station. They have to keep fuel and water in them or they don't go very long...I think it's every 5 loops, they have to re-provision. So, in my opinion, the station may close for renovations but the train will have to stop back there. There's no room at FL or MS Stations to even do a temporary "filling station."

asianway

So it actually ran backwards? Would have been something to see.

The train did run backwards from Main Street to Starland when the built Splash Mountain and the new Frontierland Train Station. Then they demolished the old Frontierland station, they also removed the water tower and servicing elements that now reside in Toontown.

If Toontown station closes, the entire railroad will need to close as it cannot take on water anywhere else - at this time anyway.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The train did run backwards from Main Street to Starland when the built Splash Mountain and the new Frontierland Train Station. Then they demolished the old Frontierland station, they also removed the water tower and servicing elements that now reside in Toontown.

If Toontown station closes, the entire railroad will need to close as it cannot take on water anywhere else - at this time anyway.

Interesting...thanks for that info and the confirmation of what I remembered. :wave:

disneyWX

It's a little early for any closure of the train system, plus riding it wouldn't confirm anything either way.

True. I guess what I was getting at is, no one has given an actual account of the altered train route since the closure of the ToonTown station. lilclerk was your ride the same as usual? (minus the occasional bulldozer :))

Wait - has the ToonTown station already closed or no?? I was under the impression that it had.

Rob562

True. I guess what I was getting at is, no one has given an actual account of the altered train route since the closure of the ToonTown station. lilclerk was your ride the same as usual? (minus the occasional bulldozer :))

Wait - has the ToonTown station already closed or no?? I was under the impression that it had.

Everything in Toontown Fair is still open, including the train station, and it will stay that way in the immediate future.

Disney has said they will make announcements before TTF closes.

-Rob

officeboy

There is no doubt that the train could take on water somewhere other than TTF. They water the big guys on steam train excursions via fire trucks and hydrants, but there is more there than just water and a few wrenches TTF. The blow down muffler is also at the TTF station. The occasional 'blow down' is a requirement for boilers of this type. I can't imagine the folks in mouse clad monkey suits (read lawyers) would allow the required blow downs to happen elsewhere on the line.

Just before the original TTF station rusted and fell down on its own they tore it down and replaced it with the current structure. To the best of my recollection they didn't shut down the RR for long if at all while the station was being replaced, but there were some walls quite close to the train. The train stopped at TTF for regular maintenance while the station was closed. I assume something similar is in store for the FLE. If the RR closes I suspect it will be for track maintenance or possibly a right of way realignment. I doubt they are doing much near TTF as the spur switch is close by, as are a bridge on the spur, and I doubt they are going to move the bridge the train goes under just before TTF.

While the question has been asked there has been no chatter on WDW RR forums I have seen regarding a suspension of service. Speculation is that is that the RR will continue to operate throughout FLE construction. But the truth is I don't think anybody outside those in charge know yet.

mikeymouse

It wasn't really much going backward on the train. I remember getting a crick in my neck trying to look back at everything. Check out Martin's WDWRR video!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom