WDW Price Comparison - COMPLETED

Nubs70

Purpose: To categorize the price of alternative vacation prices to that of WDW.

Date: Aug 17 - 28
Travel Party: 4 adult, 1 child (age 13)
Travel Mode: Air - 1 stop (shortest flight) or non stop

WDW - $8,110.09
  1. All Star Sports = $6005.09
  2. 10 Day MYW + Park Hopper
  3. 1 stop flight - GRR to MCO = $2105
London - $7572.32
  1. Air BnB = $1800 = = $1611.82 after return of security deposit
    1. 3 bedroom
    2. 2 bath
  2. Non stop - ORD to LGW = $ 3500
  3. London Pass + Travel Card = $ 1144
  4. Buckingham Palace Tour - 107 lb = $136.50
  5. Excess Rail - 160 lb = $189
  6. Lunch/Dinner = $991
In this case, it is cheaper to travel to Europe than to WDW.

Item of note: we did lose 1 day due to cancelled flight from ORD to LGW which would have incurred an additional $120 for food and rail pass. Sightseeing were all day events and we did not see every thing we wanted. We need to go back.

Last edited:

Nubs70

Original Poster
Yes.

After going through the trouble of planning a vacation, asking if WDW, Denver or London, London was the most affordable option. Additionally, I did not want to pollute another thread.

So if others could place their comparisons in this thread, it would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Purpose: To categorize the price of alternative vacation prices to that of WDW.

Date: Aug 17 - 28
Travel Party: 4 adult, 1 child (age 13)
Travel Mode: Air - 1 stop (shortest flight) or non stop

WDW - $8,110.09
  1. All Star Sports = $6005.09
  2. 10 Day MYW + Park Hopper
  3. 1 stop flight - GRR to MCO = $2105
London - $5,300
  1. Air BnB = $1800
    1. 3 bedroom
    2. 2 bath
  2. Non stop - ORD to LGW = $ 3500
You left out attraction fees... The Eye, The Jack The Ripper Museum, Madam Tussaud's, The Tower of London, local transportation fees, at least one theatrical production...

That'll push up the London total quite a bit...

Upvote 0

Mickey5150

If you are going to compare maybe try flights from the same airport, rather then ones 200 miles away from each other. Also add the $940 for passports. Adding the cost of the park passes isn't a fair price comparison unless you plan on only walking around London. So subtract $2600 from the Disney trip. So now it's $5510.09 for WDW and $6240 for London. I guess Disney is cheaper.

Upvote 0

21stamps

If you are going to compare maybe try flights from the same airport, rather then ones 200 miles away from each other. Also add the $940 for passports. Adding the cost of the park passes isn't a fair price comparison unless you plan on only walking around London. So subtract $2600 from the Disney trip. So now it's $5510.09 for WDW and $6240 for London. I guess Disney is cheaper.
Even assuming they already have passports, I’m still betting that Disney would be the lower total cost between the 2.

I didn’t even catch the airport thing.:hilarious:

Upvote 0

Nubs70

Original Poster
Can you compare the total out of pocket once you add transportation, entertainment, and food in London?

I think London will come out higher in the end
Comparison is not complete.
Will adjust as data comes available.
Passport fee not included as already purchased years ago and is fully depreciated.

Upvote 0

21stamps

Comparison is not complete.
Will adjust as data comes available.
Passport fee not included as already purchased years ago and is fully depreciated.
Ok.. I understand not including that, I wouldn’t either. But as it stands currently, definitely an unfair comparison. Will be interested to see the new data.

Upvote 0

Nubs70

Original Poster
How did you determine London was more affordable if you had not considered all the data?
More affordable at this point.
Flight to LGW is marginally cheaper.
Accommodations are significantly cheaper and larger in London.
Food is an assumption at this point but is believed to be less than the $60ppd that is DOD.

Again, this is an ongoing tabulation.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Is your estimate based on 2 rooms at All Sports? What, exactly is 1.3 bedrooms? I suspect it means a room that isn't really a bedroom, ie bed sleeper in the living room, or an area that doesn't have a wall between other rooms. Wouldn't 4 adults want 2 bedrooms, and it might be tough sharing a bed with the 13 year old. I stand corrected - the 1. was your point list, and you're talking about a 3BR. Also, you could get an airbnb near Disney, so you would have to really compare apples to apples. Either look at staying offsite at WDW, or staying in a lower end, US style hotel in London.

Whether or not you can eat in London on $60(US) per day as a tourist is dependent upon what and where you plan on eating. I know I couldn't do it when I was there - but I wasn't trying to do so. If you can find a hotel with GOOD full English breakfast you might be able to skip lunch - I did. But that would involve getting a better hotel.

Tickets for all of the tourist attractions in London for your group - approx $800 US. Transportation costs to London will depend upon where you are staying and how you choose to get there - bus or train, or even which bus you take. You may or may not have to factor in additional transportation costs from a bus or train station. The cheapest fares might have time restrictions, ie, if you miss the bus you're out of luck and have to pay for another ticket - or private transport. It will cost around $100 by uber (as of 2015). And you might have difficulty with the number of people, so it might cost more. And it will involve more planning to get cheap transportation in London - best bet is to get an Oyster Card.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Yes.

After going through the trouble of planning a vacation, asking if WDW, Denver or London, London was the most affordable option. Additionally, I did not want to pollute another thread.

So if others could place their comparisons in this thread, it would be greatly appreciated.
Except that your price comparison doesn't include actually doing anything in London. To make it an apples-to-apples comparison, you need to plan for activities that will keep your entire family busy and entertained from 9am to 9pm every single day. You can't include the price of park admission on the WDW side but only airfare and lodging on the London side.

Also, Airbnb is gross.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I think he meant Point # 1 is that it has 3 bedrooms, and Point #2 being 2 bathrooms.

OK, so 3 bedrooms. I know that airbnb does have 1.3 bedroom rentals, lol. But as I pointed out, if you are comparing airbnb you should compare the same in the WDW area - many people do rent larger accommodations offsite. Or compare the same number of hotel rooms in both places. And factor in cost of transportation, all day. TO/From airport, getting to/from parks twice per day versus getting around London from attraction to attraction. Plus factor in time spent having to research bus routes, opening/closing times (London attractions aren't open for the same hours as WDW) etc.

It may very well be less expensive. Or it may be more expensive.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom