WDW, Please fast track attractions, crowd level critical

Driver

You can't fast track construction safely... I'd rather 3 months longer than a coaster derailed...
Actually you can fast track construction safely by having around the clock shifts. I was in construction for 35 years, many time sensitive projects ran around the clock. Multiple shifts means a fresh rested crew each shift. The issue becomes the cost, after hour shifts are typically paid a " shift differential " not exactly OT but none the less more money. Another note, many Disney projects do have some night work. Much of it is to bring in prefabricated items that they don't want the public to see. Such as "Slinky Dog" I saw him come in on flat bed trailers covered up with tarps. This happened with a few trucks after 1:00 am. There are many other cases I have witnessed, too numerous to mention. But pouring the cement for Gaurdians is another example, it went all through the night. It's on the internet in time lapse video. Also putting the bridge beams in place and pouring the cement road bed over them. So to answer the question through the night construction does happen at WDW.

bhg469

I am going to be in florida for work in Late February, like I am the same time ever year. I usually have one day off over the roughly two weeks I am there and its usually a 50/50 shot if I can go to WDW or sometimes Universal. Out of the past 8 years I have gone 4 times. Well I looked at the park hours for my likely day off and much to my dismay the hours are cut back several for every park. It is the last weekend in February. MK closed at 11 last year, rest of the parks were 9 except DAK was 8, but it had EMH that night. This year MK closes at 8PM on a Saturday, and none of the other parks are open past 8... You tell me if Disney is doing everything they can to make sure guests have a complete day to have fun. Seems to me like they are making sure people need to spend more days on site. I wouldn't be so upset I didn't truly enjoy the parks much more at night.

Last edited:

cmb5002

Seems to me that through fp+ and staffing, Disney is attempting to move towards scalable capacity, which wall street loves. The days of "if you build it, they will come" be passed.

lazyboy97o

Seems to me that through fp+ and staffing, Disney is attempting to move towards scalable capacity, which wall street loves. The days of "if you build it, they will come" be passed.
Capacity has always been scalable. Park operating hours would be reduced. Number of vehicles would be reduced. Staffing at dining and retail venues would be reduced. The difference now is that those reductions are not offset by lighter crowds and lower waits. Disney wants you to do the 8 experiences that’ll make you satisfied and nothing more.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Funny to still read comments that Disney raises prices with the goal of reducing attendance. :hilarious:

At DL, they've alwasy had to be very conscious of their utilization of space, and they do what amounts to an amazing job of it. At WDW, they've sadly been lazy about space usage since they day they started planning MK.

bhg469

Check again closer to the dates you will be there-the hours have a magical way of extending most always
I usually do check but Magic Kingdom should not be closing at 8:00 on a Saturday, ever. There is no such thing as a slow season anymore. Guests shouldnt have to hope, and cast members should know when they're expected to work until.

bhg469

Funny to still read comments that Disney raises prices with the goal of reducing attendance. :hilarious:

At DL, they've alwasy had to be very conscious of their utilization of space, and they do what amounts to an amazing job of it. At WDW, they've sadly been lazy about space usage since they day they started planning MK.
Disneyland has a ton of dark rides and even though it was busy when I had visited, it felt like the lines moved much faster... Also they don't use FP+ so take that however you want to.

DavidS1234

Incorrect. You can always fast track, or to use the industry term, accelerate, work. Not to say that Disney will in this case.

It costs lots of $$$. Add more crews so you have two or even three shifts instead of one. Work the weekends, rephase the work to find efficiencies, etc. I have nightmares about acceleration costs.

As always, you have the trinity of construction. Build it cheap, build it fast, or build it well. Choose two.

Interestingly, that's also the Trinity Of Car Performance. 😁

Driver

I usually do check but Magic Kingdom should not be closing at 8:00 on a Saturday, ever. There is no such thing as a slow season anymore. Guests shouldnt have to hope, and cast members should know when they're expected to work until.
And you are correct in saying that " no slow season " Disney has done a great job of selling the parks year round. However they do have reduced crowds, at specific times of the year. I have finished shifts and come back as a guest on days when attendance was way down and almost had the park to myself. Typically this happens on Sunday afternoons during these low volume periods. Being here on a daily basis gives these opportunities. I will also add I checked my schedule from last year at the time slot you mentioned and we had reduced hours back then as well. Something many guest don't consider is, during busy times CM's are working the parks with very little time off. This can go on for weeks and months. When hours are cut back it is a relief for us from mandatory OT. Six days a week for two or three months straight gets old real fast. We look forward to the early park hours so we can have two days off a week and catch up on things in our personal lives. Not complaining just giving you the view from our side of the fence.

SeaCastle

It's difficult to watch people advocate higher prices to keep crowds out. I'm in the tourism industry and have seen first hand how attractions, restaurants, and even entire towns have raised prices and deliberately encouraged expensive, low-capacity projects and lodging in order to bring crowds down. This creates a cannibalizing effect on businesses and resort communities. And this is not some kind of natural "market correcting itself" to respond to crowding- this is a deliberate policy dreamed up by business cartels and enacted at chambers of commerce, city halls, etc. to attract fewer, but richer visitors. Merchants like us complain about lower sales compared to past pre-recession years, decreasing amount of people walking around on the street, and shortening tourist seasons. Those are features, not bugs.

Taking the "I don't need to out-run the bear, just out-run you" attitude towards WDW affordability is fine until that circle of affordability closes in on the people advocating it. It's been the same story on Disney boards for years as people complain about high prices and simultaneously advocate for higher prices to keep crowds down. When that circle of affordability closes in people just can't go to the parks. That's all good and fine but how do you sustain visitation? At some point you tap out the shrinking pool of people who can afford your tourism experience- then what?
This isn't some hippie "the parks are for everyone, man" argument - I'm genuinely wondering what people envision the endgame being here.

BoarderPhreak

Raising prices is heard a lot around here. Price the little people out. Keep out the riff raff, they say.

Sorry, but to a point, sure. But we passed that point long ago. The current cost of a WDW vacation is insane. For 2-3 people, you can't even do a long weekend short of nearly $3k. That's nuts. I love WDW as much as the next person, but for that kind of change, and I hate to say it - but I'll go somewhere else. Case in point... Tried to do a quick getaway with the DW/DD this spring. Just not gonna happen. Instead, we're going to Germany for $1.5k.

Will it control crowds? You betcha. But for ALL the WRONG reasons. Shut the +_@($% gates earlier. The experience is suffering greatly and I have doubts about safety.

rob0519

The way to get them to increase the amount of attractions in development is to vote with your wallet. Don't visit as frequently, and you'll see their reaction and response.
I voted with my wallet and it just seems to have gotten worse.

From 1996-2008 we went one or twice a year. Each trip was 6 or 7 nights with two rooms in a Deluxe Resort, Park Hoppers with Water Park option and almost all meals were on property as well. Then the park crowds started to get out of control and did the room prices. The value and enjoyment level just wasn't there anymore.

We went for five days in just four of the last ten years. So unless millions of other people vote with their wallets, Disney has no reason to care.

rob0519

I am going to be in florida for work in Late February, like I am the same time ever year. I usually have one day off over the roughly two weeks I am there and its usually a 50/50 shot if I can go to WDW or sometimes Universal. Out of the past 8 years I have gone 4 times. Well I looked at the park hours for my likely day off and much to my dismay the hours are cut back several for every park. It is the last weekend in February. MK closed at 11 last year, rest of the parks were 9 except DAK was 8, but it had EMH that night. This year MK closes at 8PM on a Saturday, and none of the other parks are open past 8... You tell me if Disney is doing everything they can to make sure guests have a complete day to have fun. Seems to me like they are making sure people need to spend more days on site. I wouldn't be so upset I didn't truly enjoy the parks much more at night.

Since Disney breaks every thing down into hourly costs, so did I. Divide the cost of a one day park ticket by the number of hours the park is open to get your entertainment value per hour. The shorter hours in general and definitely in November, Early December, January, February and March are hideously expensive per hour when compared to April, May, June July and August.

bhg469

And you are correct in saying that " no slow season " Disney has done a great job of selling the parks year round. However they do have reduced crowds, at specific times of the year. I have finished shifts and come back as a guest on days when attendance was way down and almost had the park to myself. Typically this happens on Sunday afternoons during these low volume periods. Being here on a daily basis gives these opportunities. I will also add I checked my schedule from last year at the time slot you mentioned and we had reduced hours back then as well. Something many guest don't consider is, during busy times CM's are working the parks with very little time off. This can go on for weeks and months. When hours are cut back it is a relief for us from mandatory OT. Six days a week for two or three months straight gets old real fast. We look forward to the early park hours so we can have two days off a week and catch up on things in our personal lives. Not complaining just giving you the view from our side of the fence.
I checked the hours the exact days last year and all the parks are closing earlier by at least an hour this year. The company can plan to stay open, they choose not to. They could staff appropriately, but they choose not to. I'm sorry they pull you in many directions and expect you to work mandatory overtime. That's not cool of them at all. I completely sympathize with the CMs, but it is not their fault that their company is mismanging their time.

smile

Disney wants you to do the 8 experiences that’ll make you satisfied enough to, at most, keep spending money until it's time for you to leave, and certainly enough to, at least, not clamor for a refund (esp before noon)

a gate on the springs would be ideal

Driver

I checked the hours the exact days last year and all the parks are closing earlier by at least an hour this year. The company can plan to stay open, they choose not to. They could staff appropriately, but they choose not to. I'm sorry they pull you in many directions and expect you to work mandatory overtime. That's not cool of them at all. I completely sympathize with the CMs, but it is not their fault that their company is mismanging their time.
Another angle to this is, during slower times is when projects are planned during the night. Often some items need attention and are put on hold till the park is closed for longer periods. I have very often seen heavy equipment, vac trucks, cranes etc. with there crews on standby backstage waiting for the all clear to swarm in and get busy to make the most of the time available. Some of these repairs, changes or upgrades can't be done in 4 hrs. If the park closes at midnight it takes 1-1/2 - 2hrs. To clear all the guest, that would be approximately 2 am and not enough time for certain task. So I guess what I'm saying is there are many reasons for closing earlier. Also closing early is not in Disney's favor from a revenue stand point, if there are no guest then no one is spending money on food or merchandise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom