WDW needs a "port of entry"...agree or disagree

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
Stick with me on this. It takes me a little bit to chart out this thought, but I think there's a real payoff here.

So I'm streaming one of the D-Tunes stations and listening to the Disneyland entrance loop...not the park loop, but a version from the central Disneyland Resort entrance plaza (or "Esplanade" as the kids are calling it now).

I know it can't be from the park itself because of the variety. Along with the usual suspects like "A Pirate's Life For Me" and "Grim Grinnin' Ghosts," there are tunes relating to DCA from Muppet*Vision, Soarin', Paradise Pier, etc. Indiana Jones and Star Tours (which are in Disneyland Park, of course) are represented too.

So it gets me thinking that one of the best things (to me) about Disneyland is that simple area between the parks and the feeling of limitless "choose your path" possibility that exists there...and a music loop that ties up experiences from both parks is such a wonderful mood setter.

Then I think about WDW, and it kind of makes me sad that there's not an analogous area where you can look around, take it all in, and basically say "my Disney adventure starts here."

Now geographically, I realize that it's impossible to stand in one place at WDW and "drink in" all the parks and assorted experiences at once. But I think the idea is still important enough to be worth pursuing.

My first thought was that maybe the old WDW Preview Center that welcomed guests before the MK's opening could be re-packaged into some kind of ultimate WDW Welcome Complex, showing you just a bit of what was waiting further down the road. There could be films and walkthroughs, a variety of food and merchandise from all over property to make the thing almost an attraction unto itself...a shrine to all of WDW within WDW itself.

But I do wonder if people would be willing to stop at a place that basically just existed to tell you more about other places that weren't right there. I like the idea, but it might get overlooked by many people.

I think the best solution would be the return of a WDW radio station...a kind of virtual "port of entry" that played music from all the different parks and resorts: The majesty of Future World's entrance loop, the big band/jazz numbers on Sunset Boulevard, the familiar Magic Kingdom songs, the rustic instrumentals from Wilderness Lodge (shortened versions, obviously) all rubbing elbows to let you know what lay ahead.

I guess the bottom line is it's a shame WDW stopped broadcasting on its own station...but the clips I've heard of the old WDW station aren't really what I have in mind anyway. Too much chatter and promotion, not enough mood-setting.

I suppose with MP3 players and streaming stations like D-Tunes, we can already achieve this on our own to some extent...so maybe it's not so much a problem after all. :)

Krack

It's not the worst idea I've ever heard, but I would think it would work best as an added area of DTD - kind of a "While you're eating and shopping (and not enjoying the Adventurer's Club) here's all the things you could be paying $80/day to experience) area.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I think it would have been more of a draw when there were resort, ride and park specific merchandise available. A single location that carried it all would be a godsend. I don't know how many times I saw something in a store but didn't buy it only to change my mind but forget where I saw it.

Nowadays, with the pathetic, generic "Disney Parks" merch and much less unique stuff it probably wouldn't be as interesting.

loveofamouse

I would love a station that I could tune to the closer I got to WDW. As we get closer to orlando, we could pick it up and it could "lead us home."

I would also love if they brought back specific merch not only for rides and attractions(more of it) but resorts and for it to be located at more than just the immediate area of the attraction.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
If I'm following you...

...I think it's a good idea..Especially for first-second and third timers.
Maybe for some of the vets it may seem like a waste of time - "that's nice
get me to the parks d*mn it!"

But I do like the idea of a central location to 'take it all in' and get some
preview of the parks...a live action Disney Vacation Video..:)

Wilt Dasney

Original Poster
But I do like the idea of a central location to 'take it all in' and get some
preview of the parks...a live action Disney Vacation Video..:)
Now that you say that, I think this non-existent place could also feature a 360 degree film with footage from all over property. Oh, and let's make it 3-D too, since this is the blue sky stage. :lol: Really get people excited!

I also thought of putting it at DTD as Krack mentioned, and I can see the logic there. Maybe in the former Virgin Megastore! It could become an "opening night" tradition for families who get in town a bit too late to rush to the parks. They could land or park, check in to the hotel, then head to DTD for a few hours at the Trip Preview Center, get dinner, and go to bed with visions of sugar plums and all the rest... :)

TheKeeler7

I love this idea, both the radio station since we drive to the world, but also the DTD location, both our trips down there we start off by heading to DTD to relax and stretch after the long drive and also to take in the "Disney feel" as we prepare for the days ahead.

ShookieJones

I also thought of putting it at DTD as Krack mentioned, and I can see the logic there. Maybe in the former Virgin Megastore! " :)

Perfect place for it - and it would be 'selling' the park experience to all the newbies and vets alike, instead of yet another spot selling the generic piles of cr*p they pass off as park merchandise these days.

R W B

I also agree that DTD would be a great fit for something like this. Like mentioned above, I always drive in (probably always will since its only a 10-11 drive) and by the time we get there its usually 6pm or 7pm and kinda too late to check in, drop off bags and what not and still have time for the parks so we always head to DTD that night and I think a "Gateway to the Magic" type of place would be perfect.

Not sure if the RIDEMAKERZ and the old Virgin store is the same place but I think the RIDEMAKERZ place would be a good spot especially since its closing now, lol.

ShookieJones

Not sure if the RIDEMAKERZ and the old Virgin store is the same place but I think the RIDEMAKERZ place would be a good spot especially since its closing now, lol.

One and the same...I couldn't think of the name of that place...but I knew it wouldn't last.

It would be so nice to have a 'taste' of the parks outside the parks..interactive shopping, entertainment and information...instead of some of the cr*p that currently lines DTD...

R W B

One and the same...I couldn't think of the name of that place...but I knew it wouldn't last.

It would be so nice to have a 'taste' of the parks outside the parks..interactive shopping, entertainment and information...instead of some of the cr*p that currently lines DTD...
I thought I read they were the same place before.

I would also think it would bring in more money for Disney by having its own merchandise there then just collecting "rent" from a third party retail store. I know it would cost some to put in Video screens to show videos of the parks and what not. I think if they broke it up into 4 different parts for the 4 different parks with a little merchandise from each park in its own section it would be rather profitable. I could be totally wrong though since I dont know much about how Disney is ran, lol.

Animaniac93-98

What if such an area was made at Orlando International? One where you could try some of the things OP listed to help sell the "experience" to visitors while giving them something to do while waiting for their luggage, bus etc.

I like the idea of a radio, but not as much a place to sample the world in it. I'd sooner just go to wherever when I'm on property than a smaller, less detailed alternative.

ShookieJones

This ain't a bad idea..

..plus it would be a great place to hang out when I'm waiting in the airport to go back home to my not-so-wdw-state of Connecticut...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom