WDW Magic... Some People Get It... Some People Don't

DSNYKID

Original Poster
What a great name for this site! We are getting ready for our next trip to WDW. This will be our third trip since December 2005. Many people ask us why? Why do you keep going to the same place over and over? We are traveling from Illinois, so it's a big deal for us to go this often.

I can understand why people that have NEVER been to WDW might ask why go so often. These people tend to think that WDW is a glamourized carnival or something. Once they go for themselves, some get it while others still don't.

The way we explain it is that anything you want to do can be done at WDW. Beaches, swimming, boating, race car driving fine dining are just some of the examples we give. EPCOT allows you to travel the world. Some people just dont get the magic.

Do you know what I mean?:confused:

campdisney

Works both ways sometimes. Hubby's cousin & family won't do WDW anymore since they got caught in Hurricane Charlie a couple years back (it was their 2nd trip in 5 years). I can understand how a hurricane would ruin any trip anywhere, yet even after their first WDW trip a few years before, they just described it as being "OK". Yet they go to Vegas, kids in tow, every year -- sometimes twice - and absolutely rave about it.

Hubby & I went to Vegas for the first time this year to attend a wedding. Personally, I didn't get the attraction. It was fun, but not fantastic. And after 4 days, we were both more than ready to go home.

So we shake our heads when they tell us they're going to Vegas again -- and they shake their heads when we tell them we're going to WDW again. To each his own. :lol:

KrazyKowboy

I get the Magic ! Compared to so many other vacation destinations, WDW just has so much more to offer. I never get the feeling I'm repeating last years vacation, because even after a full week, there are things I have'nt seen yet or want to do again. And each year there's always a new show, parade , or attraction to see.
I remember taking my first family to WDW back in the 80's and until 2004 always wanted to go back someday. Through the years I've been so many places like Universal, Busch Gardens, Wash. DC, Biloxi, Las Vegas, and others and enjoyed them all, but nothing compares to the overall value and diversity of entertainment that WDW has.
We went to Universal on Spring break this year and stayed there 5 days. I'll never get that close to WDW again and not go. All that week I compared Universal to WDW and Universal always came up short. There's just no comparison to WDW!

Chape19714

To me, there is no other place on earth with so much happening on an everyday basis, it's hard not to like it! Besides, Daytona is pretty boring, it's a great escape! That's what Disney is to me an escape, even though I visit 20+ times a year, it's still an escape!

5mins2disney

Hey we're from Illinois too...Elmhurst here! We liked it so much we tried to buy a place in the Windsor Hills Resort where we first stayed last May....and there were none available. So....we loved it so much we came back a year later...then bit the bullet and bought a place that's just 5 minutes from the main gate..it's awesome, now we can go all the time...and...since it's an investment property..I can write off travel, food, rental car, 2x a year to go back down! We rave about how great it is to friends and family here all the time...some get it..some don't. Our one sister/brother in law won't fly...and they don't do "rides"...we keep trying to convince them to go and explain that real "rides" are such a small part of it!! You can spend days alone wandering Epcot and not go on one single thrill ride if you won't want to!!

Anyhow, that's another battle...but we're making progress in our goal to get everyone we know to visit and especially, take their kids! The one I love hearing from the other parents of 3-5 year olds is... oh..my kids are far too young.... :brick:

Epcot82Guy

I just got back from a trip that clearly didn't get the magic. THey went as kids, but it ended. I really think WDW is like a modern art museum (bear with me here). On it's face, it really is sort of basic and boring. Four theme parks, some hotels, not really near a beach, nothing THAT different from anywhere else. However, there are intangibles that are there to be figured out. What makes you able to feel like a kid again? What are the intricacies of the design that make it work? What is new (or seems like it's new even though it's been there for years)? These are just some of the questions it poses. And, to many people, realizing them makes them very happy. I think a lot of people don't analyze it that much; they see the fun, the magic. But, the result is the same. You get a hope, a happiness from being kind to others, seeing old and new sites, and being able to be care free for just a little bit. It is hopeful, innocent, and, when done right, a place where everyone can be a part of something more.

mrtoad

There are really 3 camps.

First are the die hards. Would go all the time if they could. Does not mean you have to go all the time to be a die hard as it is expensive and some just can't go all the time.

Second are those that enjoy it but would rather go to the beach or the mountains or where ever and go to WDW a few times in their life.

Third are the people who either have gone and did not care for it or have never gone. They feel it is overrated and too commercial.

I've been die hard since 1972 and don't get the other 2 camps at all....

smayco

There are really 3 camps.

First are the die hards. Would go all the time if they could. Does not mean you have to go all the time to be a die hard as it is expensive and some just can't go all the time.

Second are those that enjoy it but would rather go to the beach or the mountains or where ever and go to WDW a few times in their life.

Third are the people who either have gone and did not care for it or have never gone. They feel it is overrated and too commercial.

I've been die hard since 1972 and don't get the other 2 camps at all....

I think there's a 4th camp, the one that I'm in. This group would fall somewhere between the 1st and 2nd groups. I absolutely LOVE WDW, but after spending a week there, I feel like I need a break from it. :hammer: I don't even think about it again until a year or so passes by, but by then I really miss it and can't wait to go! We try to go every 2 or 3 years, and then we stay for a full week, and that seems to work best for us. There's no other vacation that's ever been as much fun.

~Sue

hammysammy59

I almost wish I didn't get the magic as much as I do! I've only been able to go three times, and I honestly don't know when I'll get to go again...

But I guess that's part of what makes it so special. I don't think the magic would hold up as well if I didn't have to wait years between each trip. However... I will be saving up for a WDW trip once I get a real job. :)

majortom1981

hmm

The crowds and all the work involved in going to disney world vs anywhere else can also be a factor.

People go to vacations to get away from crowds and if you go to wdw and thats all there is then you might get discouraged and not come back.

Disneyfanman

How about families that fit into multiple camps. I am in camp 1, and leave looking sooooo much forward to my next trip. The moment that I catch sight of the castle from the monorail or ferry, the "magic" catches me again. I read and write on fan sites, purchase guide books and essay books every year, plan our trips, make meal ressies, etc. And I am a fairly successful, somewhat serious, business professional. What the heck happened to me? LOL!

My daughter (17) joins me in camp 1. My son (20) says that he loves Universal more, but his heart stays with us. I can just tell. They wear their ears proudly.

My wife is in camp 4. She adores it, and then has plenty, and doesn't need to return soon. She doesn't catch the magic until she is back IN the park. Then she has it.

My son is in camp 3. I think when he is older (he is now 13) that he will tell people about the torture of visiting Disney every year. I bet he never goes again (after leaving home) until he has his own kids. He really doesn't get the "magic".

When I was 6, I visited Disneyland with my Grandmother and Aunt in 1967. I remember that trip to this very day. I was scared to death on "Adventure through Innerspace". I loved the Matterhorn. Pirates. TSI. The Jungle Cruise. Mission to Mars. The subs. I got a blister on Main Street.

You never know when it will happen.

Figment571

Yeah, I get people who think I'm crazy at school when I talk about WDW. They just want to ride roller coasters and can't try want they have all ready deterined as boring. I can say that it always changing and growing but it is like they are wearing blinders. They think it is too childish and stupid. I myself am a freshman in high school.

Well I hope to even become an Imagineer someday and I love WDW and the joy it brings. Some people even teens just can't be a kid at heart. They think the world is place for evil things and they can't see simple joy in life, but we can. That is why we belive in the magic of WDW.:)

Tinkerbella16

I get it almost everyday from someone asking why I go to WDW so much. I've been going almost every year since I was 6 years old, and have an upcoming trip in November. People will say " Don't you wanna go to an island and relax all day in the sun and do nothing? " and I'll say NO, I'd rather be occupied with the hundreds of things to do in WDW. There is something new in the parks every year. There is nothing like it. I think waiting for our trip is a lot of fun...Counting down the days, planning out what we'll do each day, making reservations for meals (which we did today yay!!), getting the suitcase on the floor and start putting some things in it 2 weeks before we leave, TRYING to fall asleep the night before (which is nearly impossible) because you know where you'll be heading off to the next day...Walt Disney World!! I don't think anywhere compares to the things you see and do while on your vacation. It is truely magical, and some people will never understand until they experience it for themselves. From the classic rides that you just can't miss like POTC, HM, BTM and SSE etc... To the newer ones like Soarin' and EE. On every trip, I cannot leave without visiting my favorite resort...the Polynesian, just to walk around and eat breakfast, then riding the monorail over to the MK. When I have kids, I want to do the same as my parents did for me and bring them to the magic. As soon as we step on disney property, I am a little kid all over again, and I love it. Being at the happiest place on earth with the people I love the most is all I can ask for in a vacation...and nowhere else can compare to that.

smayco

People will say " Don't you wanna go to an island and relax all day in the sun and do nothing? " and I'll say NO, I'd rather be occupied with the hundreds of things to do in WDW. There is something new in the parks every year. There is nothing like it.

I totally agree with this! I went to the Bahamas for a week with some friends years ago, and it was so boring! Yeah, the water's gorgeous and warm, but that gets old after a day or two. At WDW, you can never run out of things to stimulate your brain. :sohappy:

My BIL has never been to WDW, not once. He raised 2 sons with his first wife (and they're now grown) and never took them. (How does that happen? :veryconfu ) He now has a 5 yo son, with my sister, and I've been trying to convince him to go for years. He just sees WDW as a place that's overcrowded and not worth the money.

~Sue

Senderella

I totally agree with this! I went to the Bahamas for a week with some friends years ago, and it was so boring! Yeah, the water's gorgeous and warm, but that gets old after a day or two. At WDW, you can never run out of things to stimulate your brain. :sohappy:

My BIL has never been to WDW, not once. He raised 2 sons with his first wife (and they're now grown) and never took them. (How does that happen? :veryconfu ) He now has a 5 yo son, with my sister, and I've been trying to convince him to go for years. He just sees WDW as a place that's overcrowded and not worth the money.

~Sue

My sister & BIL are the same way. Well.. my BIL's the same way so my sister goes along with it. This is the same BIL who managed to convert a chili relleno & fajita loving girl into a vegitarian :rolleyes: . Anyhow, I don't get it myself. They've got 2 little boys now. So what if the adults think WDW is too "commercial" and not worth the money? My sister knows good & darn well how WDW can affect a kid.. she was with us on my very first trip when I was 7. She's seen the wonder & magic with going with a kid. Not to mention, how much more kid friendly and "good clean fun" can you get? :rolleyes: Oh well.. *I* am going to go hit the showers and get ready for our 20 hr DRIVE TO WDW YAY!!!!

Nansafan

This topic gets brought up every few months it seems and I'm happy to post each times it does. Years ago while at my ophtalmologists office, a receptionist saw my cell phone with the Mickey Mouse cover and then noticed my earrings and watch. She smiled at me with that knowing smile and said, "I see you've been dusted with pixie dust." I looked up at her as I was writing a check out and saw her Mickey Mouse watch, I nodded and smiled back. It is sort of like a special club we all belong to, those who get it as opposed to those who don't. I thought she summed it up best when she said that those of us who get it "have been dusted with pixie dust." She doesn't even have children at home anymore and she and her husband visit yearly. My baby is 19 and he too has been "dusted". Vacationing with him at WDW or DLand is one of the few things we still enjoy together since he seems to never be home anymore.

Nobody at work asks anymore where are you going on vacation, they simply ask, when are you going back to Disney?

BTW, I do like Vegas for a couple days each year too but if I miss it a year or 2 it is not devastating like missing Disney would be.

Dr Albert Falls

There's no doubt about it. NASCAR is one of America's most popular sports. Millions pack into racetracks across the country. The industry itself generates billions.

But I'm sorry. I just don't get it. I don't see the excitement of watching a car go round-and-round the track. I'd rather do something else with my Saturday afternoon.

Likewise, many people feel that way about WDW.

Nobody's "right" or "wrong". I don't appreciate NASCAR, even though I understand its a popular sport that much of America really finds fascinating. That doesn't mean I'm stupid, or snobby, or ignorant. With all the activities we're lucky to have in this country, I happen to find other events more fulfilling.

For some people who punch the clock and put up with an annoying boss, a "vacation" means quiet rest and relaxation, away from the fast-paced world. Yes, there are quiet spots of WDW. But c'mon, WDW is NOT the place you go to relax. (Likewise, there are people who prefer to spend their vacations mountain-climbing, kayaking, or running marathons. To them, WDW is too dull and unadventurous).

I know there are many exceptions, so don't flame me on this. But in my experience, people who appreciate WDW the most are the ones who visited there as children. They remember what it was like when Tigger was a real-life animal (and not a man in a suit who may or may not be a pervert). They remember the terror of boarding Space Mountain for the first time, and the feeling of bravery when they rode the Speedramps past RYCA-1 having just overcome that fear. To return to the parks and see familiar sights is comforting, especially in a world where childhood landmarks are often bulldozed over to make room for new shopping malls or subdivisions.

The other group that seems to appreciate WDW more are adults who come with children. Their brains may tell them Mickey Mouse isn't real, but when their child smiles and runs up to hug the big rodent, it becomes real. The happiness that keeps bringing those families back year after year is not the concrete mountains or plastic trees, but the joy of experiencing it all together.

mikey

From the very first time I stepped foot into a Disney Park, I got it! That was in 1988 (and I wonder why I'd waited so long to get there!).

I've been back 11 times since then, and we started planning our *next* trip while on the plane, flying back home from the *last* trip!

The thing I really like about it is that Disney is what YOU want it to be.

You want theme parks? Golf? Boating? Shopping? The Kennedy Space Center is an hour away. Emeril has two restaurants in Orlando (I know, they're both over at that *other* park, but I need an occasional BAM.)

I used to be a commando in the parks, and now it's as leisurely as can be. This past trip, we spent almost entire days at the Pop Century pool, and headed for dinner at the parks late in the day.

I gave up trying to explain (and even defend) Disney to those who don't get it sometime ago. I figure it's their loss, and there'll be one less person standing in front of me at the Dole Whip counter!

Only 46 more Wednesdays...

mikey

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom