WDW "local" visits DL

Skyway

Original Poster
(I put this trip report in "News and Rumors" because it touches on a lot of our typical discussions in this forum)

First, some quick background. I have been a WDW AP for the past 10 years. However, before that I was a DL passholder for about 5 years, and at one time considered that my "home park". Recently, I had the unique experience of returning to DL after nearly a decade in Florida and was able to compare the two resorts.

Also for background, I don't like to play the "WDW vs DL" game, since both are amazing places. My opinion is that WDW is an amazing resort for a unique, weeklong experience. However, I've always considered DL to be the highest quality individual park (followed by MK, Epcot, AK, and DHS. I have no interest in visiting DCA until after the makeover.) That last point is important because, after my recent visit, I still have the opinion that DL outshines MK---but the degree to which it sparkles seems to have been exaggerated in my mind, and the two are much closer in quality than I would have imagined.

During my DL visit, the park was EMPTY. We did 20 attractions (with 2 more duplicates) in 8 hours, with the longest wait 25 minutes for Nemo Subs. All the rest were 5 minutes or less.

What follows is a rambling list of observations. Feel free to discuss!

-------------

ESPLANADE -- Considering Disney's amazing landscaping abilities, the Esplanade is just not a very attractive entrance to DL. Sure, it beats the terribly ugly 1970's TTC, as well as the former DL concrete parking lot. But I expected more.

DISNEYLAND ENTRANCE-- I gotta give points to the MK for having a fun "Good Morning" welcome show with the characters riding in on the train. DL does not have the space for such a show. Instead, guests are allowed in about 15 minutes before "rope drop" at the other end of Main St. A bit anti-climactic.

ENTRY TUNNELS-- I forgot how wonderful the DL "lobby" is, with the attractions posters lining the tunnel. The posters are much larger in size than MK's, and contain several brand-new designs (such as for the Nemo Sub Voyage and Remember fireworks). MK has never re-installed the Haunted Mansion posters after the rehab, and there is not as much variety, with a few duplicates even within the same tunnels.

MAIN STREET--- I expected Main St to feel so much smaller and quainter than MK. And although it is a smaller scale, the street is a lot bigger than I remembered. The quality seemed about the same. However, the real brick sidewalks in DL give it a texture and authenticity that MK is lacking. The store interiors are a bit more elaborate than MK, but again, not as much as I had assumed.

TOMORROWLAND--- Much of the land was covered in construction walls. But despite all the criticism that MK gets for having a "cartoony" TL, I'll take the Florida version any day (not just the look, but also those attractions). The absence of the People Mover and the elevated Rocket Jets really kills the energy DL's TL used to have. (During my last visit, the Rocket Rods kept things alive, but their fingernails-on-chalkboard screetching is certainly not missed) The new paint scheme is much better than the '97 makeover, but the texture of the buildings is so much less "futuristic" than WDW.

SPACE MOUNTAIN-- This was the ride I was most looking forward to, and was not a bit disappointed. The new queue and ride is outstanding. The music is great, the track is incredibly smooth, the mountain unimaginably pitch-black, and a surprising sensation was how cold the dome was air-conditioned. But I gotta admit--I DO NOT WANT this version for the MK rehab! The 70's kitch that has become a trademark of SM is gone, and I think I kinda missed it. Although the MK coaster is in severe need of some technical and cosmetic upgrades, I won't be disappointed if it's not an Extreme Makeover. And trust me, I am surprised to be writing this. Originally I was hoping MK's ride would be a completely rebuilt, 21st Century "Not Your Grandfather's" Space Mountain. But after riding--and enjoying-- DL's new version, I really hope MK retains its original charm.

FINDING NEMO SUBMARINE VOYAGE--- After reading online forums about how the Epcot Nemo ride was supposedly a bit more successful from a show quality standpoint, I gotta say, I was absolutely and completely blown away by the Subs. It is so wonderful that they spent a fortune to save those rusty 1950's vehicles (and thank goodness Pressler was too cheap to fill in the lagoon). Unlike Space Mountain, I did NOT miss the original kitchy version. The thrill of boarding those unique underwater vehicles in the sparkling blue lagoon is identical to the old Sub Voyage. But the new show is truly state-of-the-art. The combination of wet sets, dry sets, and projections is practically seemless. The audio system is a technical marvel. And clocking in at 15 minutes or so, the ride belongs among the ranks of Pirates or Haunted Mansion in terms of the immersive experience.

BUZZ LIGHTYEAR---- The ride sets are certainly different than MK's--but not necessarily better or worse. Likewise, I enjoyed the hand-held gun that has lights on the barrel, as well as the targets that light up when you hit them. But without the gun mounted to the vehicle, it was much harder to aim at targets. Some have suggested that MK upgrade its guns to the DL version, but I'm happy with having two completely different experiences.

FANTASYLAND-- Without a doubt, DL's FL is much more beautiful than its MK counterpart, with many more attractions. But more impressive than the look of the darkride buildings, I came to appreciate the narrow queue paths winding through concrete and (faux) wood buildings. Rather than MK's dull, giant, paint-chipped switchbacks, you could look at and touch the details of the DL queues, and it all felt more intimate than "cattle herd" Florida queues.

With additional dark rides like Alice, Toad, and Pinnochio, as well as Storybook Land and Casey Jr. Trains, DL's FL just feels more complete (just as MK's Tomorrowland is more active)

MATTERHORN-- Although this ride is a DL classic, I'm glad they never cloned it. It has charm because you know the rickety ride is nearly 50 years old. But if they were to build it in Florida, it would seem like a piece of junk to the newer audience. I'm so glad WDW got the 21st Century-caliber Expedition:Everest. But I also love riding Walt's original mountain coaster.

ITS A SMALL WORLD-- I'm not an insanely rabid Disney fan, but I can be a bit of a purist. I hate the MK Tiki Room and would have really been unhappy if they put Stitch in the MK Space Mountain. With that said, I had absolutely NO PROBLEM with the new "Disney characters" in IASW. True, some are better than others. But most are very tastefully done, and do capture the ride's artistic look. Knowing that DL's audience is more local/repeat-customer driven than WDW, I can see how the "Where's Waldo" search for characters will give the typical DL audience a reason to ride this attraction again. Also, it seemed like the lighting and colors in the newly-rehabbed ride were much more impressive than when MK's ride re-opened a few years ago.

TOONTOWN-- It's definitely lost a bit of its energy with the Trolley no longer operating. But the facades are still much more impressive that MK's "temporary" Toontown. And Roger Rabbit is still a fun, unique ride.

ADVENTURELAND--- Its neat seeing so many attractions squeezed so close together, but MK's large thick jungle creates a much more exotic atmosphere.

TIKI ROOM--- The original still packs them in. It was so neat to see families FILL the lanai waiting for the outdated yet wonderful show. It had a wholesome vibe, like a generation raised on crude reality shows sitting down to watch "I Love Lucy." The freshly-painted building is much more inviting than MK's neglected attraction. The location also helps, as well as the Dole Whip bar that has a separate serving counter inside the lanai.

JUNGLE CRUISE-- The MK jungle is thicker, longer, and more immersive. But I really liked the newly-installed shooting gorillas, as well as the new piranas (which were more numerous and impressive than I imagined). I hope these upgrades get moved to MK (although the MK does not have an unused dead spot like DL's to place the piranas).

INDIANA JONES-- I forgot how incredible this ride is. The excitement it generates through the music and wild vehicles truly makes your heart race. But again, I'm glad this was not cloned at WDW (and I'm surprised to say that). I love that Disney took a chance on creating a unique attraction with that same ride system. I do enjoy Dinosaur, and understand that by being "outside" they must keep the ride darker than the well-lit "temple" on Indy. But because there is so much to see (and those visuals make you appreciate how fast you're moving) Indy is a superior use of those vehicles.

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN -- It's no secret that MK got the "Cliff Notes" version. But what I did not appreciate was how much more DL did during the "Jack Sparrow" rehab. Yes, you CAN tell the difference that DL received much more extensive lighting, better sound, and more fluid animatronics. I didn't think it would be that noticeable. I was wrong--it's a huge difference. And I visited POTC just days before it was about to be rehabbed, so I presumably saw it in its worst condition! Unfortunately, the MK version will now feel cheap.

HAUNTED MANSION -- Take what I just said about POTC and reverse it. After the MK's recent rehab, it blows the DL original out of the water. Sure, DL added upgrades every few years, and MK was just catching up to all the changes. But the sound, lighting, and of course the added scenes, makes MK's Mansion far superior.

PIRATES LAIR AT TOM SAWYER ISLAND--- I've got mixed feelings about this. For the DL local/repeat-customer audience, it's the perfect addition to get people back out to the long-ignored island. And the additions are great. I REALLY liked them. My complaint is that i wish there was just a little bit MORE to make it a fully new experience. At this point, the Island can't decide whether it wants to be Tom Sawyer or Pirates, and both themes suffer from the indecision. I would NOT want this brought to MK's TSI. But I could easily see MK building a small cave between POTC and Jungle Cruise and including the wonderful special effects and props found on DL's island.

WINNIE THE POOH--- Since I can go see the Country Bears anytime I want, I wasn't too disappointed to see them evicted. I also loved being able to walk right on Pooh in the lush wooded setting, instead of waiting nearly an hour in the dull metal switchbacks in Florida. It's ironic that Disney build a much higher-capacity ride in California (3 rows of seats, and two "beehives" dispatched together) but the obscure location keeps the crowds away. As for the ride itself, it was MUCH more colorful than MK's, and the rooms seemed larger. But the set pieces seemed farther away, reducing the intimacy.

BIG THUNDER MOUNTAIN-- For some reason I had convinced myself the DL version was better, perhaps because it was the identical (but mirrored) coaster jammed into a much smaller and tighter mountain. But after riding it again, I think I prefer MK's larger and better themed corner of Frontierland. Also, the DL coaster seemed much more bumpy and shaky than MK.

IN CONCLUSION: If I had to rank the parks, I'd still put DL above the MK...but not as high as I had previously convinced myself. This trip reminded me the two parks are really "apples and oranges" and can't really be compared because they are quite different. There is a ton I love about DL, and lots of things I think the MK can greatly improve on. But I was also surprised to find things that are more impressive and enjoyable at WDW.

I avoided the true "clones" (like Star Tours) because I can ride the WDW versions whenever I want. But I really enjoyed exploring the differences of non-identical rides shared by both parks (like Space Mountain, Pirates, and Pooh). As we discuss attractions at other theme parks that could potentially be transplanted to Florida (like The Little Mermaid or Carsland) I have no problem with the duplication, but I hope the rides are given many unique elements.

shaelyn

thanks for the reviews! having not been out to DL in more than a decade, it's nice to hear some details all in one place, and an objective comparison of analogous rides and lands. Better add a trip to cali to my agenda ;)

Adventure

Thank you for taking the time to write this. I have never been to DL but have been to WDW 10 times. Two friends who ususally go to WDW with me went to DL last year and came back with terrible reviews. I had pretty much decided that I would never be taking the trip cross country to see it. Reading reviews like yours makes me think I should definitely go and check it out. It is inevitable that comparisons would be made but each park should stand on it's own merit and uniqueness.

Katherine

Thank you for taking the time to write this. I have never been to DL but have been to WDW 10 times. Two friends who ususally go to WDW with me went to DL last year and came back with terrible reviews. I had pretty much decided that I would never be taking the trip cross country to see it. Reading reviews like yours makes me think I should definitely go and check it out. It is inevitable that comparisons would be made but each park should stand on it's own merit and uniqueness.

I would definitely go to DL someday. I really do like DL more than MK, if DL had Epcot I'd be in California all the time. It's a great place and ToonTown and New Orleans Square make the park.

Thanks for the update SkyWay!

magicmaya

I actually like both parks equally! Each coast has something special about it! I love both east and west welcome shows.Disneyland was my home park for 10 years but i'v been going to disney world every year for those 9 years.I used to go to disneyland twice a month.Now since I have moved to atlanta for the last 4 years, I'v been visiting orlando twice a year and disneyland once a year.So disney 3 times a year.This year, I'v decided to take a break and go to disneyland once this year.Disneyland does have better versions of the rides! But I like them equally.When I first say disney world's small world and the teacups were under a tent, I thought that someone was playing a trick on me and I didn't get a good reaction seeing those rides.

Skyway

Original Poster
Just thought of a couple more things---

ENTRY TURNSTYLE--- Instead of WDW's "finger scan", DL arms its employees with handheld grocery store bar code guns. One shot of the bar code, and you're in. The lines move SOOO much faster! (I would imagine, unlike WDW, there is a lot less fraud because there are a lot less multi-day tickets. Most folks likely scan a one-day ticket) Since there's no finger scan, DL still uses handstamps for re-entry. That surprised me.

FASTPASSES--- DL uses a different (and more annoying) FastPass distribution machine. At WDW, the machine sucks your park ticket inside, dumps your Fastpass into a tray, and holds your park ticket in the slot until you pull it out. At DL, you must slide your ticket into the slot and immediately slide it back out (like a gas pump credit card swiper). With your hand still holding your park ticket, the FastPass shoots out with no tray to catch it. Almost every time it hits the ground. So you're always fumbling with tickets and paper in your hands while trying to keep Fastpasses from blowing away.

bgraham34

Very well written. I am going to save this and show to my wife when we plan to make a trip out to Cali. I have been once before and enjoyed it but my wife has not.

Thanks again.

Skyway

Original Poster
Due to time issues we skipped Splash Mountain this trip. Plus it was not a priority for me since I think Splash is one of the few superior attractions at WDW.

Skyway

Original Poster
I was under the impression splash in disneyland has quite a bit more AA's

Actually, I think WDWs has more.

It seems like they replicated all the old America Sings AAs for Florida. But what makes WDWs better (in my opinion) is the extra Song of the South characters they added. The best of those is the multiple sighting of Brer Frog, who is actually a politically-correct version of Uncle Remus (who tells the story. DL doesn't have as strong of a story). There is also the Fox and Bear spying on Rabbit that is unique to WDW, as well as the "hopping rabbit" (when it works)

What else makes WDWs better is the slower boats through the show scenes, more complete and brighter sets, higher capacity logs (less wait time!) and the fountains that leap over the boat.

But if I had gone on DLs Splash, Im sure I would have seen a better maintained mountain. Plus I prefer DLs music.

jonnyc

A great read, unfortunately i did not win the £110 Million jackpot on the Euromillions last night, so i won't be visiting DL anytime soon :cry:.

DisneyPrincess5

It seems like they replicated all the old America Sings AAs for Florida. But what makes WDWs better (in my opinion) is the extra Song of the South characters they added. The best of those is the multiple sighting of Brer Frog, who is actually a politically-correct version of Uncle Remus (who tells the story. DL doesn't have as strong of a story). There is also the Fox and Bear spying on Rabbit that is unique to WDW, as well as the "hopping rabbit" (when it works)

What else makes WDWs better is the slower boats through the show scenes, more complete and brighter sets, higher capacity logs (less wait time!) and the fountains that leap over the boat.

But if I had gone on DLs Splash, Im sure I would have seen a better maintained mountain. Plus I prefer DLs music.

I've never been to DL so I can't compare but I do love this aspect of the WDW version. I like how the logs are not one person per row and I love how it goes slow enough for you to enjoy everything.

DDBB

Disneyland's has more, but you go by them so quickly that you may not notice them all. I also enjoy the music of the Disneyland version better and wish they had included the Burrow's Lament scene in the MK version. Also, for whatever reason the drops in the DL versioin seem more intense to me. Now that I think about it I guess I enjoy both versions of Splash Mountain equally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom