Rumor WDW is considering a Universal-like Express Pass

IanDLBZF

It's already being discussed here...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
It's already being discussed here...
Yeah, this is a different topic. And that thread is a giant mess.

Not to mention Genie+ doesn't exist any more. That thread needs to be put down.

Gusey

If they adopt Disneyland Paris' Premiere Pass instead of Lightning Lane Multipass/Single Pass it would be so much better. At DLP, you choose to purchase a Premiere Pass for certain attractions, where you pay for each individual attraction and enter at the next available time (e.g. Pirates is $5). You can also choose to purchase Ultimate Premier Pass where you can purchase in advance, use on all attractions at any time, once per attraction. The key thing is that it's limited so it doesn't actually affect the standby lane

MrPromey

Disney does not have the attraction capacity to pull this off relative to the number of guests they serve.

A move like this would be incredibly anti-consumer and devalue the entry ticket even more.

It's interesting they might be thinking the money they can make by finding a third way to charge for what people have already paid to access will offset in profits, the guests they sour on the park experience as a result.

And on that, I have to wonder, did someone in management forget that their big money-maker in Florida is resort stays and DVC sales?

Isn't that a numbers game based on volume?

JD80

Didn't see this thread. My post previously:

This WSJ article from yesterday indicates Disney averaged $250MM/year from 2021-2024 for what was known as Genie+. (Doesn't say if that includes what we now know as LLMP and LLSP combined. Doesn't say which parks.)

I was previously told that combined domestic Genie+ and ILL revenue was between $500 to $800MM annually, and I'm still comfortable with that as a ballpark.

The other thing to take into account is that the average number of LLMP uses per guest remains below 3. Three rides. Three. Per family per day.

This pass is talking about all the rides in one or two parks - a use increase of 500%.

So Disney's going to risk:
  • $500 to $800MM in annual revenue
  • VIP tour revenue
  • Other high-end products
And put more 500% more people in the LL, thereby making it worth less?

Let's say Disney sells 70 VIP tours per day across WDW and DL combined, at $4,000/each. (I think that's absurdly low, but work with me.) That's another $100MM in annual revenue.

So we're looking at $600 to $900MM in annual revenue in their line-skipping programs.

How much ... how much money would they need to charge for Premier Pass to mitigate the risk to that $600-$900MM?

The alternative would be a pass with such limited quantities that it doesn't materially affect any of the above. So that's a possibiilty.

I think you and Touchdown have good points here, let me interject a few random thoughts as the caffeine hasn't hit me yet.

1. Would Disney have the data of the following:
    1. People who have done the VIP tour and wouldn't again because of the cost?
    2. People who may have inquired about the VIP tour but passed on it because of the cost?
    3. People who have purchased G+ or LLMP who have higher spend profiles (club level, deluxe stays, high income, large ticket packages, high spend in merch/dining, frequent visitors) that have responded unfavorably to the current system?
If Disney does have this information, could Disney be considering that there is a untapped market for a middle option between LLMP and VIP where they weren't converting LLMP to VIP?

There may be a Goldie Locks price point where they would convert LLMP to this new pass but also not cannibalize VIP sales but also not make it insanely popular. Remember how they thought G+ would only be purchased by 25% of guests prior to launch? Is this an evolution to this?

(Sorry if I annoyed Touchdown and Len with extra tags)

MouseEarsMom33

So a few initial thoughts...
- Depending on the price, I would likely buy it, especially for MK. It would allow me to get everything done in one day and even add in breaks. I am coming in from out of state and only visit 1-2 times per year. So my goal is to maximize my time and I don't want to wait in long lines if I can prevent it. I already purchase After Hours and we don't get a full park day with that. We like pool days and other WDW experiences as well, so it is a challenge to get all the rides done even when we are there for a full week, especially during the summer when we take breaks during the day.

- I wonder if for WDW if this is a sign they are worried about Universal. If more guests start going to Universal, they may think WDW is too big and not worth splitting a stay. But if you purchase one of these passes, for each park you could do all rides in 4 days. That could lead to people spending less days and money over at Disney. But if they are worried people are going to stop going altogether, focusing on 3-4 days is better than no days. So you could do 4 days at Disney and 3 days at Universal.

bmr1591

I'm not sure I agree with this. When changes to Genie+ were announced earlier this year, quite a few people in this board kept saying they wished Disney went with Universal's system instead. Yes, less people would buy, but that is the goal.

I think the main difference is people assuming Disney will still keep Lightning Lane Multi Pass as well, which just means even more people are in the fast lane.

jason976

I think the main difference is people assuming Disney will still keep Lightning Lane Multi Pass as well, which just means even more people are in the fast lane.
Good point but I wonder if it would really have that effect. I think there is a subset of people already purchasing Multipass that would decide to spend the premium. I suppose those premier pass holders would end up getting more LLs than previously so perhaps there is some impact there but not sure how much.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
If the article is accurate, Premier Pass is basically pay (a most likely) substantially higher price than Multipass and the only advantage is being able to bypass making a reservation time for the attraction? And you can still only ride each attraction once per day?

I wouldn't exactly compare that to Express Pass. Unless they include Premier Pass with specific Deluxe resort reservations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom