WDW as a solo parent

kings&giants

Original Poster
I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for doing Disney as solo parent? My DH is sitting this trip out so in November I will be going with alone with my 2 DS (age 5 & 7). Any help is appreciated.

journ116

First off, you are a very courageous & dedicated mother for doing WDW "alone" with two kids!! Although I have never done WDW by myself with either DD (who are 6 & 3), I can guesstimate what might work best (based on my DH and splitting up with each DD sometimes while we're down there):

1. Keep the mindset that you might not get everything in. Ask each son what ride they really, really want to do, & remind them it's just mom taking them & that you'll need their help with everything!

2. Don't overdo it in the parks. Take mid-day siestas, keep everyone fed (timely meals & snacks) & hydrated, & take potty breaks ("Yes," you should be able to take your boys in the Ladies Room).

3. Keep any dining reservations to a maximum of 1, this way if you need to change plans because "someone is having a meltdown," you can, without the fear of incurring the Disney penalty to your credit card. I'd maximize quick-service restaurants with A/C (or heat depending on the weather then).

4. Don't underestimate an empty bench.

5. Arrive at any park shortly after park opening, so you're not trying to keep track of the kiddos amongst the early morning herds.

6. Leave any park at least 1 hr. prior to park closing, for the same reason as above (even with 2 parents, I shutter at the thought of standing in a long line for a resort bus, just to watch it pull away right before you could hop on due to capacity). This might not be the trip to stay out late every night.

7. Don't leave rules & consequences at home...bring them with and remind the kids of this.

8. Bring an iPad or iPod, or some type of handheld game, to keep the boys occupied while waiting for a parade or in line.

9. Consistently re-evaluate everyone's moods & endurance.

10. Play games: follow the leader; find hidden mickey's; take a stuffed animal along and take random photos of it around the parks; word association (i.e. I say, "sky," my DD6 says, "blue"); or take a guided tour (ex. "Behind the Seeds" in EP's Future World).

You know yourself & sons best...when in doubt, take 'em out of the parks & enjoy the on-property amenities at your resort!!! Have fun!!!!

kings&giants

Original Poster
Great advise - thanks! Do you think there will be any issues with us all being able to ride together on any of the attractions? The only two I can think of off the top of my head would be Astro Orbiter and Tomorrowland speedway, they will only fit two.

wdwmomof3

I have kind of sort of done a solo parent trip, during the day anyway. I took the kids to the parks during the day while DH was in meetings. We had the best time ever! There was no stress, we did what they wanted to do and we just played it by ear. In some ways it was easier just making sure the kids were happy and not having to keep DH happy too. Of course DH was with us at night, but we just took things easy then and tried to do the things that we all enjoyed.

At the time we did this, my son was in first grade and my DD and her friend were in the fourth grade. I would not hesitate to do a trip with the kids alone at all, but I would make sure that I was staying on site so that I wouldn't have to drive far. I would plan to take breaks to keep everyone from getting to tired. I would let the kids ride together when we couldn't all ride in the same car. When they were on an attraction that I was not on, I would wait at the exit. Use the family restrooms because I found that I felt safer with my son staying with us and not going into a men's restroom alone. We all stayed together at all times.

Go and have fun!!

kings&giants

Original Poster
Thanks! I was thinking the same thing, as terrible as it sounds. The boys & I move well together. We live right outside of NYC and have done many day trips just the 3 of us and I almost find it easier to maneuver with just them. Glad you found no issues with the rides, I think that is almost my biggest concern. I'm sure the cast members have dealt with 3 riders before and will help the board if I'm already on then I can just wait at the exit for them. I am really looking forward to this trip! I think we are going to have a ball!!!!

journ116

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing, as terrible as it sounds. The boys & I move well together. We live right outside of NYC and have done many day trips just the 3 of us and I almost find it easier to maneuver with just them. Glad you found no issues with the rides, I think that is almost my biggest concern. I'm sure the cast members have dealt with 3 riders before and will help the board if I'm already on then I can just wait at the exit for them. I am really looking forward to this trip! I think we are going to have a ball!!!!

Well, all I have to say, if you're a savvy NYC traveler, you should be able to tour WDW with the same insight and intuition as you do NYC!!

I can completely relate to the "traveling without Dad" comment: sometimes my DH and I are conflicted on how to "deal with" our children in crowds, or the mall, or the store, so in these situations, one mind IS better than two (and, my mind is usually right;)).

I didn't even think about the "ride situations," but I'm sure you will find most rides can accommodate 3 riders: on 2-seat coasters, one of you will be seated with another guest, while the "clam-mobile"-type rides should be able to seat all of 3 of you (even if one of you has to sit on the "other side" or in the middle). The only rides I could think of that you'd have a problem with are the ones you already mentioned.

I have done a local amusement park by myself with both DD's in tow, but I was glad I was only a 40 min. car ride from home (but they were 5 & 2 when I did that). If you're staying on-property, you'll only be an average of 20 min. bus ride from "home."

Sending happy thoughts and a "high five" your way!!:)

kings&giants

Original Poster
Thanks! We are staying on property and since I'm such an "over planner" (especially when it comes to Disney! It's how I pass the time until November) this is the only grey area. Most sites say - bring a friend, which is not that helpful. So thanks for all your insight!

I have no kids and am fairly young.

However, depending on your demeanor and assertiveness a trip a solo parent can work.

I remember at the age of 8. So that make my brother 11 and my sister 4. My mother took us to the magic kingdom while my father played golf, we had fun and until this day my aunt call my mom a saint for taking on that duty.

THen several times after that because of school conflicts any pair of sibilings would travel alone with Mom while dad stayed home and watched the third.

So, I guess it can work?

Tinkerkell

I've taken several trips alone with my kids.

All of the above is good advice. Take lots of breaks, and have fun. Make sure they get plenty of sleep.

One thing I'd recommend is that although character meals are a lot of fun, buffets are A LOT of work if your kids need help filling (and refilling) their plates, you need to fill your own plate, you have to time everything so you're at the table with camera ready when characters rotate, etc. I preferred relaxing meals. The character breakfast at 'Ohana and the dinner at Garden Grill are served family style, keeping you from getting up and down multiple times for food. Doing a buffet is possible, but I think it's much more relaxing to just sit with the kids and enjoy the meal.

My most relaxing meal with the kids was at Sci Fi. They sat in front of me and happily stared at the screen the whole time. I zoned out for a while and it was a good mental break. LOL

This is a great opportunity for your kids to pitch in and help with having fun. They can be big helpers getting napkins, ketchup, etc. at meals. They can carry light luggage, etc.

Since you're traveling with boys, be aware that there are a couple of restrooms with 2 entrances. You can send them in together, which is good and an option I didn't have.

wiigirl

Lots of breaks......keep it easy going..... good luck! ;)
75.gif

kings&giants

Original Poster
I've taken several trips alone with my kids.

All of the above is good advice. Take lots of breaks, and have fun. Make sure they get plenty of sleep.

One thing I'd recommend is that although character meals are a lot of fun, buffets are A LOT of work if your kids need help filling (and refilling) their plates, you need to fill your own plate, you have to time everything so you're at the table with camera ready when characters rotate, etc. I preferred relaxing meals. The character breakfast at 'Ohana and the dinner at Garden Grill are served family style, keeping you from getting up and down multiple times for food. Doing a buffet is possible, but I think it's much more relaxing to just sit with the kids and enjoy the meal.

My most relaxing meal with the kids was at Sci Fi. They sat in front of me and happily stared at the screen the whole time. I zoned out for a while and it was a good mental break. LOL

This is a great opportunity for your kids to pitch in and help with having fun. They can be big helpers getting napkins, ketchup, etc. at meals. They can carry light luggage, etc.

Since you're traveling with boys, be aware that there are a couple of restrooms with 2 entrances. You can send them in together, which is good and an option I didn't have.

Thanks!
I hadn't thought of the potential buffet trouble! I have ADRs for the Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's and Boma but everything else is sit down. Maybe I can ask to be seated near the buffet to minimize the walk. I knew there would be things like this I didn't even think of! Thanks for the heads up!! I'll just take it slow - if it takes us all night to eat - so be it!

Tinkerkell

One more tip--are you flying? If so, position yourself in the middle of the kids during TSA's security check so you can take care of them on both ends should there be any concerns. Let the oldest go through first, then you, then the youngest so the youngest can follow the directions and go straight to you.

We actually practiced airport security at home by taking our shoes off, knowing that even stuffed animals had to be put on the belt, etc. At the airport, the kids felt like pros and there were no surprises for them going through security.

journ116

We actually practiced airport security at home by taking our shoes off, knowing that even stuffed animals had to be put on the belt, etc. At the airport, the kids felt like pros and there were no surprises for them going through security.

The last time we flew (our return flight was 11/1/11), our children were told they no longer need to take their shoes off, and they were even allowed to keep their light coats on!

kings&giants

Original Poster
Good tip! I know Orlando has a "family area" but I don't think our airport does. I will start practicing - 65 days until we go! I think the key is going to be allow plenty of time for anything. I want to get to the airport very early - who cares if we have to sit by the gate? I just don't want to be rushed, that's when things fall apart!

journ116

Good tip! I know Orlando has a "family area" but I don't think our airport does. I will start practicing - 65 days until we go! I think the key is going to be allow plenty of time for anything. I want to get to the airport very early - who cares if we have to sit by the gate? I just don't want to be rushed, that's when things fall apart!

We leave in...hold on...let me get this down to an accurate count: 63 days, 14 hrs., 52 min.!! We'll be there Oct. 31-Nov. 8th (my DD6 was slightly bummed because she won't get to trick-or-treat around the neighborhood again this year). If I see a mom with two young boys having the time of their lives, I'll know it's you!!

DisneyGirl3820

Good for you! I traveled to Orlando with my 2 children by myself this past Spring and was proud of myself for doing everything without my husband and it forced me and my kids to work together. Since you mentioned you're staying on the Disney property that's key, I think. It makes things a heck of lot easier. Be gentle with yourself and don't try to do everything. Go through each park with your kids on paper beforehand and really pick out only the main attractions that are worth going to and then if you do additional things when you get there, all the better! I would do a park and then come back to the hotel for down time and then get back out there again later. For me, getting a park hopper for the trip was worth it--it'll allow you and the kids the flexibility to do everything you want. Hit some fun restaurants as well and maybe ADR's won't be in order since you can try new quick service restaurants you otherwise wouldn't have been able to do with the whole family. Good luck!

kings&giants

Original Poster
Good for you! I traveled to Orlando with my 2 children by myself this past Spring and was proud of myself for doing everything without my husband and it forced me and my kids to work together. Since you mentioned you're staying on the Disney property that's key, I think. It makes things a heck of lot easier. Be gentle with yourself and don't try to do everything. Go through each park with your kids on paper beforehand and really pick out only the main attractions that are worth going to and then if you do additional things when you get there, all the better! I would do a park and then come back to the hotel for down time and then get back out there again later. For me, getting a park hopper for the trip was worth it--it'll allow you and the kids the flexibility to do everything you want. Hit some fun restaurants as well and maybe ADR's won't be in order since you can try new quick service restaurants you otherwise wouldn't have been able to do with the whole family. Good luck!
Thanks! We got the hopper & have the DDP (I let the boys choose the restaurants). I am viewing meal time as our down time, especially sit down. If we take an hour and a half to eat - so be it! They generally have pretty good stamina, and like their Mom, want to see everything they can. So I am not initially scheduling "back to the room rest time" but more breaks in the park through out the day. Also, we are going in November so the parks aren't open too late so we should be back to the room and sleeping at a fairly reasonable time. I also decided, after much back and forth, to bring a collapsible stroller for the 5 year old. I think it will come in most handy at the end of the night - getting back to the room. He has a tendency to fall asleep in the car (or in this case bus) and I REALLY don't want to carry a sleeping 5 year old plus whatever else all by myself! ;) I think the key for me is going to be flexibility. As long as we go with the flow, we should be good. I'm sure there are things iI'm not thinking of (like the buffets and airport security - thanks Tinkerkell) but I am getting such good advise, I'm sure it will be one of our best trips! We may even have SO much fun, we may choose to leave the DH home next time too! :p

journ116

I see you mentioned that you might bring a collapsible stroller for your 5 y.o., but I want to throw out one more option: rent one.

We've rented from MagicStrollers.com & were very pleased with the stroller (City Mini Double) and the service! For our upcoming trip, we're renting a City Mini GT Double with glider board from KingdomStrollers.com. You could conceivably rent a single and add on a glider board for an extra $10 (in case your 7 y.o. wants to ride). Another site to check: OrlandoStrollerRentals.com.

It's just an option, plus it be will less stuff for you to carry thru the airports!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but when you purchase things from park shops (and DTD), you can have it delivered to your hotl, so you don't have to lug it around all day. The only exception to this rule is your last day, because hotel delivery won't occur until possibly as late as 3p the following day.

Resting at the park works well, and there are attractions that work perfectly for "reset time", even outside of the restaurants. The shows, for example.

I do it without stroller (I use Daddy's shoulders), but with two kids I think one is a good choice!

I go with my kid solo each year since she was 5.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom