WDW Airstrip

ppiew

Wasn't the airstrip put their for a proposed vertical take off and landing aircraft that never materialized? I think the acronym was 'STOL."

Blizz

Correct. It was a STOL-port. (I believe it stands for Short Take-Off and Landing)

And while Walt never took off or landed at this airport. I am sure he flew over it many times while finding the right land.

Also, I wonder if the last time the air strip was used, was to transport Walt's plane to be used at MGM Studios on the backlot.

I am sure if you were gonna either land in swamp (like the ValueJet flight) or land in a no fly zone that was once an airport the FAA would allow you to land at the Disney Air Strip.

s25843

The airstrip was also used this year to get busses around the MK Toll Booths on Grad Nite (I was a chaperone) They drove us down a road just before the MK Entrance, on the airstrip, and then back around (This extra deversion was also used so they could give the busses their parking assignments)

trendymagic

That no-fly zone is jsut over the MK. You can take heli rides over the entire place (minus MK) when the zone is active during the 'high' terror level. When it is 'elevated' like it is now, I do believe they allow more fly overs.

s25843

Re: You Dont Understand

Originally posted by edwardtc
You obviously don't understand the concept of NO FLY ZONE. There are US Military Fighter Jets flying around WDW with the authority to shoot down planes that are unidentified or pose a threat to WDW. If a cesna is flying randomly (as it would with a dead engine) and is headed toward the MK, a fighter would indeed take it out - period. You have a 1% chance of survival landing at WDW, and at least a 50% chance at the local air fields.

In addition, the landing strip at WDW was used by Walt and company to visit the property during purchase and construction. No Oversized parts were hauled in. This can be reinforced knowing that the landing strip is less than 2.5 mile long - which is required for a large commercial jet to land or take-off. Also, in old Disney books, you can see photos of the 20,000 subs, JC elephants, and train engines being driven through town - thus confirming that large supplies and props were indeed delivered on land.

They currently use it to stage busses & train drivers. If a plane were to land there as an emergency (assuming they were not blown away), they would not be allowed to take off again from there due to FAA regulations - that strip is NOT a legal airstrip, thus no planes may take off from it.

Im just curious, why did you bring back so many old threads?

Blizz

Re: Re: You Dont Understand

Originally posted by s25843
Im just curious, why did you bring back so many old threads?

Just a new member thing I guess, i believe i did the same thing when I joined.

Anywho, to argue this futher, the fighter jets you speek of are not flying around WDW. The gov. sees disney as a target becuase it is something America is known for, but the jets are just sitting at some airbase in the central FL area. They of course could be moved into place, but I highly doubt they would shoot down a personal air craft that has declaired an emergency over his/her radio. I am sure he/she would still be in trouble, but i doubt they would shoot you, considering if they did, you still would be landing on disney property.... it tact or not....

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Re: You Dont Understand

Originally posted by edwardtc
You obviously don't understand the concept of NO FLY ZONE. There are US Military Fighter Jets flying around WDW with the authority to shoot down planes that are unidentified or pose a threat to WDW. If a cesna is flying randomly (as it would with a dead engine) and is headed toward the MK, a fighter would indeed take it out - period. You have a 1% chance of survival landing at WDW, and at least a 50% chance at the local air fields.

You obviously don't understand the F.A.A. First off.. its not a true no fly zone... It’s just restricted airspace UNDER 3000ft. Go below 3000ft in the restricted zone and you'll get a stern warning from air traffic control...

Second... fighters are not scrambling around WDW 24/7 looking to shoot down a Cessna 152. If you fall below 3000ft, the Air traffic control people will try and contact you... if there is no contact established with said aircraft breaking the restriction... then the military is notified, and goes to assess the situation.... establish visual contact... etc...

To shoot down civilian aircraft for unnecessary reasons is not the military or F.A.A.'s priority. Its a VERY LAST RESORT SITUATION :wave:

jaylenofan86

Originally posted by DMC-12
You obviously don't understand the F.A.A. First off.. its not a true no fly zone... It’s just restricted airspace UNDER 3000ft. Go below 3000ft in the restricted zone and you'll get a stern warning from air traffic control...

Second... fighters are not scrambling around WDW 24/7 looking to shoot down a Cessna 152. If you fall below 3000ft, the Air traffic control people will try and contact you... if there is no contact established with said aircraft breaking the restriction... then the military is notified, and goes to assess the situation.... establish visual contact... etc...

To shoot down civilian aircraft for unnecessary reasons is not the military or F.A.A.'s priority. Its a VERY LAST RESORT SITUATION :wave:
Thanks for taking my job Jer. :p Also, they will let you flight into the restricted zone for traffic spacing.

Shaman

Originally posted by DMC-12

Thanks for clearing things up Jer...I was worried I would have to look out for falling debris (from planes shot down) on my next trip to Disney....:animwink:

:lol:

WDWSwashbuckler

Re: Re: Re: You Dont Understand

Originally posted by objr
Thanks for clearing things up Jer...I was worried I would have to look out for falling debris (from planes shot down) on my next trip to Disney....:animwink:

:lol:

:lol: :lol: Ah, yes, don't want a plane crushing 100 people on Main Street USA, do we not?

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Re: Re: Re: You Dont Understand

Originally posted by jaylenofan86
Thanks for taking my job Jer. :p

:lol: sorry Adam... all this useless knowledge just comes from my past experience from routing News & Traffic Choppers and planes... trust me... I have gotten in trouble for some minor class BRAVO airspace and restriction rule bending... :lol: :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom