WDW 2012 Fashion Critique For Men

Patricia Melton

You know what? My feeling is that life is really short. I'm inching closer to 60 every day and I don't honestly know where most of the time went. ZOOM! It flew by.

When I was much younger, I would refuse to leave the house if I didn't have a cute little outfit to wear. For many years before I had kids, most of my money after the rent was paid went to buying clothes. Back then, I'd think nothing of spending a few hundred dollars at a time, every week, on clothes. Now, I look at that money and think of either how many groceries I could buy or what I could do to invest that money for my niece and nephew's college education. Priorities change with age.

I see other commenters posting about what people wear while on vacation and making fun of some of it -- but the thing I try to keep in mind is that a lot of these people have stressful jobs they probably hate and many of them wear uniforms (or at least the middle management "uniform" of a shirt and tie in the office, with khaki pants or whatever). Going down to Florida for a hard-earned vacation means leaving the uniforms behind.

A lot of these guys don't have a lot of "vacation" clothes and don't have the money to buy a new wardrobe just to go on vacation. So they come down to WDW wearing what they'd wear around their own house on the weekend -- things they are comfortable wearing.

I love that they have no qualms about being themselves. I love that they don't care what other people think of them. As long as their clothes are clean and cover modesty requirements, I think people should wear whatever most makes them comfortable and happy. If it's clothes that other people think are junky or funny-looking, who cares.

Going to WDW is not signing up to walk the catwalk on Project Runway and vacationers should not be worried about any armchair Nina Garcia or Michael Kors judging how they look.

It's vacation! Have fun! Wear what you want without worry and be a kid at heart again!

Patricia Melton

I dont' know exactly what it is, but everytime I see someone wearing a disney shirt at disney, it makes me wonder what they were thinking? Seriously, what are they thinking? I haven't a clue...

The other day, when I was picking up my daily dose of SotMK cards at MK, I saw a whole family wearing their 2007 family reunion t-shirts- ah- it's 2012.

It's about going to the parks and reveling in it.

For some people, that trip to Disney might be the only one they ever can afford to take. So they wear their Mickey shirts. Some people actually buy these when they begin planning their vacations, and they wear them on the plane down to Florida. It's a big deal to go to the parks for most families.

I think the super-fans forget this sometimes, but the majority of people in the park each day are people who are going to Disney for their first and only time in their lifetimes.

They are wearing the Mickey shirt because this is a dream come true and they are just so excited they want to have something with Mickey on them at all times.

I go to WDW every year with my family and every day I wear a different shirt I bought in the parks...and on the last day we are there, I buy a new shirt to put into the rotation for future years. It's my little tradition.

The only time I love doing laundry is when I am washing these shirts because every time I see one I get to relive the wonderful memories I made with my family in my favorite place on Earth.

PS -- that swipe taken at the "2007 reunion family" didn't take into account how expensive getting shirts printed is. Yes, it's 2012...but maybe this family couldn't afford to get 2012 reunion shirts printed. So they wore what they had. Clearly, they wanted this to be a family outing and wanted shirts that matched and this was their only option.

Another thing to consider: perhaps those shirts were the last reunion that Grandma or Grandpa was alive for. They could have sentimental meaning.

Before you mock a family, try to consider that they might not have as much money as you do and there might also be a sentimental aspect to something they are doing that you don't understand.

Patricia Melton

Sorry to offend you, but I still don't agree with it. My choice, your choice, life goes on. I will still chuckle at what people wear when I go to Disney just to people watch...

Just know that no doubt people are laughing at you too I am sure.

Probably more than you realize, and probably not laughing "with" you but "at" you.

rsoxguy

Original Poster
Let me add, wearing non Florida team gear ! Keep your horrible team outta Florida.

Here's a completely useless fact that no one will care about: I am a huge fan of the Dolphins, and I can't stand the cheating dog that goes by the name Bill Belichick or the team that blindly follows his illegal tactics.

NYwdwfan

Here's a completely useless fact that no one will care about: I am a huge fan of the Dolphins, and I can't stand the cheating dog that goes by the name Bill Belichick or the team that blindly follows his illegal tactics.

See that's where you're wrong - completely useless fact that I am THRILLED to hear about - that man makes my skin crawl. Who announces their resignation at the press conference to announce they are the new coach. WHO DOES THAT??? An egomaniacal [very bad word] [even worse word]. Now I hate the Dolphins too - but not nearly the way I despise the Patriots. *bitter Jets fan signing off*

Uncle Lupe

I know I will get massive heat for this....but one thing I can not stand as an accessory is the ' pack'. No matter how hard you try to convince me of its convenience and its necessity for the security of all of your valuables, it makes a guy look absolutely ridiculous.

I had a friend who wore one when he took the trip with me a few years ago. I tried so hard to hide it in the room, but he had to have it.

Yuk.

I have to disagree, I rocked the pack. I did not wear one for the first two days but after almost losing my wallet on Space Mountain I changed my mind. I was already the pack mule with a huge backpack so why not add a pack. I had a less worry-some vacation using mine.

NYwdwfan

I have to disagree, I rocked the pack. I did not wear one for the first two days but after almost losing my wallet on Space Mountain I changed my mind. I was already the pack mule with a huge backpack so why not add a pack. I had a less worry-some vacation using mine.

If I didn't discover the wonder that is the Vera Bradley mini-hipster I'd still be wearing one as well. It's just convenient. And after shelling out a few grand for a vacation I am going to go to any length to make it more enjoyable - and that includes stashing my stuff in a convenient and well protected place.

rsoxguy

Original Poster
See that's where you're wrong - completely useless fact that I am THRILLED to hear about - that man makes my skin crawl. Who announces their resignation at the press conference to announce they are the new coach. WHO DOES THAT??? An egomaniacal [very bad word] [even worse word]. Now I hate the Dolphins too - but not nearly the way I despise the Patriots. *bitter Jets fan signing off*

Jets clothing makes people look like big green vegetables. Just saying, fashion thread and all...

Uncle Lupe

If I didn't discover the wonder that is the Vera Bradley mini-hipster I'd still be wearing one as well. It's just convenient. And after shelling out a few grand for a vacation I am going to go to any length to make it more enjoyable - and that includes stashing my stuff in a convenient and well protected place.

Thanks,
I am in touch with my feminine side but not that ready to commit.

rsoxguy

Original Poster
Art Deco utilizes these colors masterfully. Besides, the bright Florida sun blinds us to colors, so we just walk around asking, "what is that you're wearing?"
That, and we bump into things a lot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom