WDW 2010: Same old pixie dust?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Let's start a new week and a new month with a fun game.

It's called 'is anything new coming to WDW in 2010?' Anything at all?

(is that the sound of pins dropping?)

We all know that IOA will debut the WWoHP next year.

But when asked by a friend today as to what -- if anything -- was coming to WDW in 2010, I admit I was totally baffled.

I can't think of one new attraction, major or minor ... I can't think of any new parades, shows or pyro spectaculars ... I can't think of anything at all even including dining locales and timeshares (which actually count to some of the more deluded fanbois).

Am I missing something? Forgetting something?

What is WDW going to be marketing in 2010? Endless discounting?

~WDW 2010: Four Parks, One Even STALER WORLD~

nerdboyrockstar

This topic came up in conversation over the weekend and it was uncomfortable. We were at Universal over the weekend and saw the shiny new Rockit and Harry Potter looming in the distance. And this is what Universal does when they're BROKE.

But it's better to just ignore the World for now like management is doing and look forward to the new things coming to the Disneyland Resort, or if you're of the Universal variety, WWOHP or even the new attractions at the Singapore park.

But all I can forecast for next year is more price increases, and less bang for those bucks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Drum roll.....

an announcement about the 40th.

At the rear end of 2010.

Why should anything new come? We know how Orlando likes to live of its legacy. Maybe the song could become the new theme for TDO. Plus marketing still likes to plug E:E and TS(M)M as new.

DisneyNut2007

74, your obvious pixie dust-hatred is further proof that you really truly do hate Disney and need to stop going at once if you're going to remain as hateful as you are.

Stop contaminating every known forum and go back to your deep dark depressing hole in the wall and stay there!

P.S.: Don't forget to take your equally-idiotic groupies with you!

jt04

Oh look, the same old tired stale drone from Mr. 74.

And it reads the same as if the new FL was never announced. How utterly predictable and overwhelmingly boring. :snore:

He's walmarted himself. :lol:

Figment632

Oh look, the same old tired stale drone from Mr. 74.

And it reads the same as if the new FL was never announced. How utterly predictable and overwhelmingly boring. :snore:

He's walmarted himself. :lol:

He does have a point there is nothing new for 2010.

CDavid

This is why I have trouble understanding why I'm supposed to be so absolutely and uncontrollably overwhelmed at the prospect of a "new" Fantasyland and Star Tours II. Nothing significant new in 2009; Apparently nothing new in 2010 either. Harry Potter is premiering at Universal, yet from Disney comes the sound of snoring.

Disney used to open maybe one major new attraction per year - literally the very least they can do, or so I thought - and considering there are now four parks just one attraction per year is frankly spreading things pretty thin. Now I'm supposed to get excited over two new attractions (plus some theming, restaurants, and meet & greets) over a five year period? Really?

jt04

He does have a point there is nothing new for 2010.

It is not a big deal considering the scope of the MK expansion that is in the pipeline.

And of course, there is time for more announcements. His complaints ring utterly hollow to me now that the FL plans have been announced and even he admits more is on the way.

The sheriff knows what he is doing and 74's baseless complaints will continue to fade into further irrelevance.

:wave:

Figment632

It is not a big deal considering the scope of the MK expansion that is in the pipeline.

And of course, there is time for more announcements. His complaints ring utterly hollow to me now that the FL plans have been announced and even he admits more is on the way.

The sheriff knows what he is doing and 74's baseless complaints will continue to fade into further irrelevance.

:wave:

I was just saying whe was technically right, but I agree with you why would anything be coming when next year you have ST2, then we get FL expansion.

I still don't see how FL will be done by the time they say it will. They haven't even started construction?

jt04

This is why I have trouble understanding why I'm supposed to be so absolutely and uncontrollably overwhelmed at the prospect of a "new" Fantasyland and Star Tours II. Nothing significant new in 2009; Apparently nothing new in 2010 either. Harry Potter is premiering at Universal, yet from Disney comes the sound of snoring.

Disney used to open maybe one major new attraction per year - literally the very least they can do, or so I thought - and considering there are now four parks just one attraction per year is frankly spreading things pretty thin. Now I'm supposed to get excited over two new attractions (plus some theming, restaurants, and meet & greets) over a five year period? Really?

Disney's days of utterly overreacting and then overreaching everytime someone at USF sneezes ended when ME departed. The sheriff is much steadier and not given to such poor decisions.

jt04

I was just saying whe was technically right, but I agree with you why would anything be coming when next year you have ST2, then we get FL expansion.

I still don't see how FL will be done by the time they say it will. They haven't even started construction?

Piece of cake as long as there are no funding issues, which Disney does not seem to be suffering from.

SMRT-1

But when asked by a friend today as to what -- if anything -- was coming to WDW in 2010, I admit I was totally baffled.

I can't think of one new attraction, major or minor ... I can't think of any new parades, shows or pyro spectaculars ... I can't think of anything at all even including dining locales and timeshares (which actually count to some of the more deluded fanbois).

You become president of wdw and it becomes a 70+ assisted living community. :lol:

drew81

This is wishful thinking but I wish they would announce a few new animal exhibits for Animal Kingdom. I wish they would bring pandas to the park.

KingdomHeart

I think part of it could be connected to that article that was posted about Disney's attendance growth not being great this year. The whole borrowing future vacationers to keep their numbers up by offering such great deals. I am not a brill accounting/marketing person, but I'm not sure they aren't building up before a big thing. Like, calm the waters slightly since everyone has gone lately and in two years make it seem like "OMG YOU CANNOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH HAS CHANGED!" (even if not a whole lot has).

I am also fairly confident, even if people go to WWOHP, they will find like I, that the two parks of Universal are single day parks each. So while they cost less, you leave feeling like you've accomplished less, and while you've paid less, it still was your vacation and its not like it costs so much less that you can suddenly afford a second vacation.

I really have no facts backing that up and its conjecture but I just think about sports teams and rebuilding years. They know something major is coming, that will steal back people who go to Universal, and that'll be great. The other thing is, as I'm sure has been said a lot, HP is hugely popular and has been for years (I've been obsessed since the first book), but likely, it will wane. After the last movie, and the WWOHP opens, there won't be a whole lot propelling the brand, which Disney knows. They've seen flashes in the pan before. Look at Disney on Bway's legacy vs. the Shrek musical which is closing in January (which while not runaway hits, Mary Poppins and The Little Mermaid will both have/have had more performances than Shrek when it closes).

Disney may be banking on given the economy (which, even though it is turning around the article I cannot find had a decent point), while it is turning around, people won't be going away on vacation anytime soon, and the fact that frankly? I don't know that a Harry Potter-land, seeing as its not its own park, but one of the Islands of Adventure, is going to bring in enough business to damage Disney all that much. I still see people going to Disney and spending a day or two at Universal.

-Nicholas

JWG

2010:
-Major progress and work on the biggest MK expansion ever.
-Announcements on what's in store for 2011 - MK 40th
-Year 2 of free admission for being a good citizen (which is more work than having a birthday I suppose)
-While technically late '09, relaunch of SM
-Jungle Cruise???

IoA opened in 1999. It has had NO change (of significance) in 10 years. Some other person in some other thread listed all that Disney has done since 1999. Not do downplay the significant expansion of DAK during that time.

Also, the Potter "retheming" adds 1 new attraction in the end. The 2011-12 Fantasyland expansion is as big as/bigger than HP 2010.

Not too worried about little happening in 2010.

rsoxguy

Higher parking fees= New stripes for every space in 2010!
Higher entrance fees= New map brochures in 2010!
Higher food prices= New napkin designs in 2010!
Higher hotel fees= New sprinkler heads in 2010!
Higher souvenir prices= New plastic in 2010!

How's that?

A lot of WDW may be the same old/same old, but I still enjoy spending time there with my family.

yeti

Disney's days of utterly overreacting and then overreaching everytime someone at USF sneezes ended when ME departed. The sheriff is much steadier and not given to such poor decisions.

Not quite. The FL expansion was announced for a reason, you know. Perhaps not as drastic as a whole new theme park, but still...

The way you're talking almost makes me miss Eisner. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom