WDI's opinion of the Hat

HMF

Original Poster
Just got the Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Hollywood Studios and the Sorcerers Hat is obviously on the cover which is strange considering that it will probably gone within two years. We know the WDI opinion on the Hat from the 20th Anniversary event when Bob Weiss' Eric Jacobson and Tom Fitzgerald implied that they hate the Hat. Yet in the new Field Guide Imagineer Alex Wright claims that the hat is "a marvel of engineering" and goes on about how it symbolizes "creativity" and serves the same purpose of Cinderella Castle' Spaceship Earth and the Tree of Life. What is WDI's real opinion?

JimboJones123

I think wanting to create groupthink for WDI is dangerous. Sure, some hate, others may like.

We clearly have a situation where both opinions are present. Why does there need to be a unified front?

Is it just to make a point that you don't like it? Just say it.

Creating another hat hate thread isn't necessary, is it?

MarkTwain

Just got the Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Hollywood Studios and the Sorcerers Hat is obviously on the cover which is strange considering that it will probably gone within two years. We know the WDI opinion on the Hat from the 20th Anniversary event when Bob Weiss' Eric Jacobson and Tom Fitzgerald implied that they hate the Hat. Yet in the new Field Guide Imagineer Alex Wright claims that the hat is "a marvel of engineering" and goes on about how it symbolizes "creativity" and serves the same purpose of Cinderella Castle' Spaceship Earth and the Tree of Life. What is WDI's real opinion?

I bet Weis and Fitzgerald were probably speaking for a majority of WDI when they said that, and probably felt they could be a little more candid given the fan-focused nature of the event. But I feel it's sort of the job of the Imagineering Field Guides to glorify the parks a little bit, flaws and everything, considering it's probably editted and approved by the higher-ups in the company. I don't think my Magic Kingdom Field Guide speaks an ill word of the Magic Kingdom, going so far as to describe the New Management of the ETR as a fresh twist on an old attraction, or something like that. In other words, I bet Alex Wright was just BS-ing a reason for the hat's existance for the sake of explaining in the book (as opposed to "Giant Sorcerer Hats fit in perfectly in an idealization of Old Hollywood"), and what he wrote has little to no connection to the actual opinion held by Imagineering. Just my guess.

But I question how this discussion could be considered News or Rumor?

AEfx

Yeah, the book showed up unexpectedly on my doorstep, too - I've had a pre-order for like a year and a half, I was very surprised to see it appear, LOL.

I kept hoping they were delaying it because they were waiting to get the God-awful hat out of the way, but as the OP says it's right there on the cover.

Since they took the Big Ugly Wand down, I have more confidence that someday the Big Ugly Hat will come down as well. One can hope!

CaptainJackNO

I am guessing that if you were involved in the design and placement of that grotesque example of engineering ( da hat) as Alex Wright probably was and your new bosses openly hate it, you must feel compelled to provide some legitimacy to its building so you don't look like a total buffoon. :lol:

That hat serves the same purpose as Cinderella Castle and Spaceship Earth the same way me putting on high top tennis shoes makes me an all pro NBA Basketball Player. He is FULL of you know what......

HMF

Original Poster
I am guessing that if you were involved in the design and placement of that grotesque example of engineering ( da hat) as Alex Wright probably was and your new bosses openly hate it, you must feel compelled to provide some legitimacy to its building so you don't look like a total buffoon. :lol:
The Hat was designed by Eric Jacobson who ironically is now one of the Imagineers who hates it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The Hat was designed by Eric Jacobson who ironically is now one of the Imagineers who hates it.

But he was under the impression it was to be there for a limited time. Very different to what actually happened.

cookiee_munster

i know people may actually hate "the hat" but i think a predominant amount of people may hate it purely because of where it is...? its literally slap bang in the centre of the park, right infront of the chinese theatre which is basically a representation of movies etc. its the castle/tree/big-ball of Disney Studio's.

If it were placed somewhere else, maybe just outside the park, i think a lot of hate towards it would eventually die down...?

i know people may actually hate "the hat" but i think a predominant amount of people may hate it purely because of where it is...? its literally slap bang in the centre of the park, right infront of the chinese theatre which is basically a representation of movies etc. its the castle/tree/big-ball of Disney Studio's.

If it were placed somewhere else, maybe just outside the park, i think a lot of hate towards it would eventually die down...?

I completely agree with you... I think the hat is pretty and nice and all, but smack dab in the middle of a "Hollywood 1940's 'set/themed' park" is just wrong. Even the castle is a marking point (the hub), so it's serving as a gateway to other lands (including Fantasyland), so it makes more sense than a hat / pin shop that's not leading you on to any more "stories". It's just out of place right there.

Judy :)

fireworkz

Agreed, the hat isn't too bad, but it's location is what makes it evil. The entrance would be a good idea, but I would rather see it moved it to the circle at the top of the "queue" into Fantasmic (washroom area). I think it would be perfect there as a themed entrance and service area. Just gut out the pin shop stuff in the middle to allow people to pass through. You could even have shops and services still there, just have them in new buildings circled around the hat. It would provide some much needed shade while were waiting in line for food.

SeaCastle

I believe it was Lee who said that Imagineering is like a custom tailor, building to fit the requirements or limits of what management wants. I get the sense that Imagineering takes pride in whatever work they do, but not necessarily the product itself. Did John Hench think it was a good idea to have the Leave a Legacy plaques in the main entrance plaza? We'll never know, but one could imagine that he may not have been thrilled by the idea. I also wouldn't take what is written in the Imagineering guides as WDI's real sentiments on the matter. Who knows how much writing was sanitized before it made its way to the presses?

In all honesty, I enjoyed the wand, and to some extent the hat, but I wasn't heartbroken to see them go. They are/were symbols of a management that didn't care about its company's legacy. They destroyed sightlines carefully planned decades before, and were built with the purpose of being attention-grabbing, shiny, and distracting. It worked.

stargrl33

Honestly, I really dislike the entire set-up of Hollywood Studios. It just doesn't flow very well. The hat is the least of my problems!

cookiee_munster

I would rather see it moved it to the circle at the top of the "queue" into Fantasmic (washroom area). I think it would be perfect there as a themed entrance and service area.

what an excellent idea :) it fits in with fantasmic pretty well

i havent actually been to the parks since it was built. but apart from the shop, is there any kind of effects anything actually "in" the hat? the actual pointy bit...

Testtrack321

First lets go over this engineering comment. Engineering is based on facts and figures, and from them, the Hat is a fantastic piece of work. It truly is amazing what they did and in it's location.

Second, everyone's problem with the hat IS location. That's the issue. Some say they should put it infront of the gate, others (like me) say it should be placed back near the Feature Animation tour like they have in DSP.

As for the symbol of creativity, etc, well, gotta remember, you won't see Disney insulting and complaining about their own work in one of their own publications, will you? Shall we go over the amount of positive praise that was said about the wand when they changed it over to saying "Epcot".

mp2bill

That hat serves the same purpose as Cinderella Castle and Spaceship Earth the same way me putting on high top tennis shoes makes me an all pro NBA Basketball Player. He is FULL of you know what......

I think it was just intended to have that same purpose. The problem with it is that they didn't originally have it as the centerpiece and instead tried to make it the centerpiece after the fact. Instead, it just became an obstruction for other parts of the park.

It's sad too, because I like the actually looks of it (probably cuz I like the movie so much)...it's just poor placement.

imagineer boy

Agreed, the hat isn't too bad, but it's location is what makes it evil. The entrance would be a good idea, but I would rather see it moved it to the circle at the top of the "queue" into Fantasmic (washroom area). I think it would be perfect there as a themed entrance and service area. Just gut out the pin shop stuff in the middle to allow people to pass through. You could even have shops and services still there, just have them in new buildings circled around the hat. It would provide some much needed shade while were waiting in line for food.

The only problem with that is that it would be too close to ToT thus throwing its proportions out of whack. Plus it wouldn't look good to have a big goofy hat next to a sinister haunted hotel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom