WDI Planning Segway Testing Facilities.

MrPromey

Originally posted by ntn_haqqer
Hell -- you can pick up a DVD Player for $80 now. :)

I got one for travel purposes (mostly to show people who couldn't borrow any of my DVDs what they were missing by not having a player) for $45 a month or two back... The cool thing about DVD players is that they don't really cost much more to produce than CD players so we can expect the low end models of this wonderful technology to drop even more in price as the years move on. I wouldn't be surprised if it became a common standard feature in new TVs.

Three words on the Segway - What's the point?

Four more words - They're nothing but hype

Lots more words - okay, there are VERY limited applications where I see them being useful - people who are on their feet and need to stop and go a lot (walking cops, mail carriers, etc.)

But would the average person spend even just $500 for one of these? I sure wouldn't...

Testtrack321

Original Poster
Originally posted by FourFourSeven
Three words on the Segway - What's the point?

Four more words - They're nothing but hype

Lots more words - okay, there are VERY limited applications where I see them being useful - people who are on their feet and need to stop and go a lot (walking cops, mail carriers, etc.)

But would the average person spend even just $500 for one of these? I sure wouldn't...

Get on one then tell me what you think good uses would be. The Segway can climb ramps steeper than any of us can walk up and can stay ballanced from a 3 foot fall.

Snoballego

My Opinion of the Segway...

Once again, may I say how much I enjoy reading everyone’s posts at this wonderful site! My appreciation goes out to all of you, who share your experiences, feelings, and information about Walt Disney World. Lately, I haven’t had much time or what I thought was ample enough input to contribute to a lot of the threads. Until now…

Before I responded to the “Segway thread”, I wanted to do a little research. During my stay in Orlando this summer, I had seen the demonstration at Epcot a total of three times. I have to admit I usually get very excited about seeing potential products of the future.

The first time I saw the presentation:
Our whole apartment had headed over for a day of fun at Epcot. After a few countries and international beverages later we made it over to Innoventions. Immediately through the door, we hit the Segway exhibit. I remember watching the pre-presentation video of the man in the office leaving his desk “Segway-ing” about 8 feet to drop off some papers to his secretary. My first thought was: “gee, pretty practical.” Then my room mate pointed out to us that old people must get really depressed when they walk through Innoventions. That thought distracted me from the rest of the presentation. Finally, at the end the lady opened the floor for all questions. My question was simple thanks to the last margarita: “Is it cheaper then a bicycle?” She laughed and asked if there were any other questions. I was a little upset that she laughed at me and went back to Norway to find comfort.

Since this post is getting a bit long…

Second and Third presentations:
I became pretty passionate that this was the most impractical invention ever. I had the small crowds rocking during questions and answer time. They shortly became believers too. I had the last presenter admit it was cheaper to buy a really nice bike with a basket and a golf cart for considerably less then a Segway ($4950).

I’m sure you have heard lots of comments why people think they are impractical, I just wanted to leave you with the following notes from www.Segway.com:

1)“The Segway HT has not been designed, tested, or approved as a medical device. Riders must be able to step on and off the Segway HT, requiring physical abilities similar to climbing and descending stairs.” (Gee, So it really isn’t intended to help someone who can’t currently walk reasonable distances, nor will it be able to help you once it causes your new disability.)

2)Keolis Group and Segway LLC have announced an agreement whereby Segway will work exclusively with Keolis to develop public transportation applications utilizing Segway™ Human Transporters (HTs) in FRANCE. (The FRENCH think it is a great idea.-They are on a roll!)

3)January 8, 2003 - Subsequent to Loucks' appointment as CEO, George Muller has chosen to resign his position as President to pursue other interests. (why would the CEO leave after several years, right before this potential Nobel winner of a brilliant device hit the market? – Oh, he wanted to salvage what was left of his respect.) .

Well, that is just some extra points to consider when you think “how brilliant is this $5,000 device?” If they ever make it down to New Orleans, I will run full speed and knock the person off of it before blasts into ( at 3 times the speed of an average walker) a small child or worse someone’s foot. That’s all I have to say about that…

Thanks for reading,

Snoballego

Originally posted by Testtrack321
Get on one then tell me what you think good uses would be. The Segway can climb ramps steeper than any of us can walk up and can stay ballanced from a 3 foot fall.

Again, good for certain, VERY LIMITED uses. But how often, when you're walking around, do you need to climb a really steep ramp? Aren't stairs far more likely to be around? How often do you, when walking, suddenly fall up to 3 feet? Even if you did, wouldn't you likely stay balanced?

I still can't see this being worth even $500 to the vast majority of people. $200, maybe, as a novelty item.

Finally, these things have a footprint wider than a person walking, and travel at three times the speed. If people started taking these things on sidewalks in cities, we're going to have a lot of feet run over, as well as far more severe occasional injuries.

rjew

Snoballego

I fully agree that this is strictly a novelty item. Here's an image for you. Imagine about 1000 of these things rolling down Bourbon Street on Mardi Gras??? LOL

NOT!

Testtrack321

Original Poster
While I agree that the Segway isn't for everyone, most comments are totaly based upon the assumption that since this thing is run by motors, the user is in very little controll of it. Hey, since a car is almost the same, then the Segway is the car of the sidewalk.

hehe, nice try.

Lets look at the basics, shall we?

The Segway runs on one principal: dynamic stabalization, or basicly put, it wants you to stay on top of it.

I know your thinking that this is a bunch of BS, but look at it this way....

If a 'child' is even touched by a Segway, the force of just that child will cause the balance on the Segway to shift backwards. Thus, the Segway reverses.

And needless to say, it's not like you won't see the child. Unlike a car that has you in a metal box, the Segway is totaly exposed meaning that you can look all around you with no distortion or a huge hood on the front of your sight range.

Another valid claim: $5000. Sure, I'm not going to spend that much for one. But would you spend $300 on a nice bike then have the added problem of balance durring low speeds, breaking (wich the Segway dosn't do, it instead just goes backwards and recharges the batteries), and carrying capablities.

It's now comming from the horses mouth: THE SEGWAY ISN'T FOR EVEYONE. It's a device that some people will find helpful, others a waste.

And I'll give you a site the proves you wrong on all acounts, including runing over a foot, hand, whatever.

www.bookofseg.com

Oh yeah, happy glideing...

juan

When I was at WDW in Nov. Segways were everywhere
they were opening the gates at epcot
stroling around the park selling lots of different stuff
white-collar CMs using them for transport
CM at Downtown Disney using one

the reason why guests aren't allowed to ride them is because they are considered foreign vehicles and you must have a permit/license to use one (this is only until they start selling the the general public)

And I'll give you a site the proves you wrong on all acounts, including runing over a foot, hand, whatever.

www.bookofseg.com

Oh yeah, happy glideing...
I admit, I didn't take the time read the site, but I'm having trouble understanding the physics of not running over a foot. Could you explain a question I have? Assume you're cruising down the sidewalk at a pleasant 12 mph. You don't see a person in front of you, and their foot is right in the path of one of your wheels. As I see it, the Segway can either:

1) run over their foot (ouch for the foot!)
2) Stop EXTREMELY abrubtly so as to not run over their foot (ouch for the rider!)

Judging from a tooth I no longer have due to a 12 mph childhood bicycle accident, I can assure you that an immediate stop from 12 mph HURTS!

How can the Segway handle this situation?

Blizz

Re: Where can I ride one?

Originally posted by tigger9
I am heading to WDW in 10 days. We plan on going to Celebration on Feb 8 & 9, can you give me some more information on test riding a Segway? Where in Celebration do you have to go, and what hours? Thanks!

In Celebration's downtown area you will find NevR Land (I think thats the name, its something like that) They rent and sell all of Celebration's electric vehicles. I am not sure what their hours are, but I know they have a web site. Try to search for it on Google or something like that.

Testtrack321

Original Poster
I admit, I didn't take the time read the site, but I'm having trouble understanding the physics of not running over a foot. Could you explain a question I have? Assume you're cruising down the sidewalk at a pleasant 12 mph. You don't see a person in front of you, and their foot is right in the path of one of your wheels. As I see it, the Segway can either:

1) run over their foot (ouch for the foot!)
2) Stop EXTREMELY abrubtly so as to not run over their foot (ouch for the rider!)

Judging from a tooth I no longer have due to a 12 mph childhood bicycle accident, I can assure you that an immediate stop from 12 mph HURTS!

How can the Segway handle this situation?

Ouch, sorry about the tooth. But as for the foot, the Segway's wheels use very low tire pressure to stay inflated. Around 15 psi is recomended (while its double for a car).

Also, here is the link to the video and article I was refering to: http://www.bookofseg.com/hand/

In the video he runs over a foot and a hand with little if any pain.

Ouch, sorry about the tooth. But as for the foot, the Segway's wheels use very low tire pressure to stay inflated. Around 15 psi is recomended (while its double for a car).

Also, here is the link to the video and article I was refering to: http://www.bookofseg.com/hand/

In the video he runs over a foot and a hand with little if any pain.

Okay, I misunderstood you before - I thought you were implying the Segway would STOP before running over something.

Needless to say, I'd be worried about reckless users on sidewalks. I wouldn't be surprised if cities that allow them on sidewalks will enact ordinances along the lines of "Segways may travel no faster than a normal human walk."

Testtrack321

Original Poster
Okay, I misunderstood you before - I thought you were implying the Segway would STOP before running over something.

Needless to say, I'd be worried about reckless users on sidewalks. I wouldn't be surprised if cities that allow them on sidewalks will enact ordinances along the lines of "Segways may travel no faster than a normal human walk."

And the Segway can do that. Each key is encoded at a certain speed. So if the city says "Go only 5 mph, 2 mph faster than walking" then Segway will ship free 5mph keys to those who live in that area.

But it would stop if it hit something larger than a foot or hand, such as a child or fire hydrant.

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
Re: My Opinion of the Segway...

Originally posted by Snoballego

If they ever make it down to New Orleans, I will run full speed and knock the person off of it before blasts into ( at 3 times the speed of an average walker) a small child or worse someone’s foot. That’s all I have to say about that…

If I buy a Segway I'll head right down to New Orleans and keep my eye out for you. Its great to see the Segway police show their level of intelect.

How is running over someones foot worse than running over a small child?

jaylenofan86

Me too! Hey, do you know physics? Weightxspeed? Hmmmm....me on segway 200lb.x20mph. You 170 (just a guess) lbs.x15mph. All I have to say is bring it on.:D

BenS

When I went to WDW, I saw someone answering questions about the segways in Innoventions (riding it around). I also bought one of those message twirlers from someone on a segway right before Illuminations. Some kid almost made it roll away while she was giving me my change and all. It was funny.

celestia

ok, so it has nothing to do with testing facilities, but...

segways will soon be here in Portland, Oregon!
They are all over the news this week, and they are thinking about making a law to ban them :brick: we'll see..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom