WDI integration with DCP announced today

Curious Constance

Not that I care much about Star Wars or Marvel toys, but I have a son who does, and we look in the toy aisles often at their selections and it doesn't ever appeal much to him. Their toys are kind of lame and cheap but yet cost tons of money.
He loves the Lego sets, but not much else.

George Lucas on a Bench

The new Star Wars toys don't sell for a variety of reasons.

- The toys are lame. The new movies just aren't very toyetic. The OT and Prequels lent themselves well to toy lines.

- They're too expensive. Figures should cost 5 or 6 bucks, not 10+ dollars. Who would spend that kind of money on a little doll of a character that is undeserving of the name Rose? No one. That's why they're practically giving them away now.

- Collectors are getting burnt out on the whole thing. Who can blame them?

Curious Constance

- The toys are lame. The new movies just aren't very toyetic. The OT and Prequels lent themselves well to toy lines.

- They're too expensive. Figures should cost 5 or 6 bucks, not 10+ dollars. Who would spend that kind of money on a little doll of a character that is undeserving of the name Rose? No one. That's why they're practically giving them away now.

Most of the figures are $20 now. Nope.

Curious Constance

I'm surprised they sold one Rogue One toy. That was the biggest collection of horrible, unlikable characters I've ever seen. My son will usually identify with one character from a movie and then want to be like the character and buy his toys. That movie? Nope.

Side thought. I might try to end all my posts with the word nope from now on. I don't think it would even be that hard.

Phroobar

Hasbro has had problems the last few years with distribution. They put out too much of wave 1 & 2 but the stores never order waves 3-7 since they can't sell what they got. As collectors we go elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 107043

We all know the Disney (and Disneyland) we grew up with (especially oldsters like me) and loved doesn't exist anymore. And the current form of the Disney Monster has little interest in its past. But... Anyone else here getting the feeling that Disney's zombification into complete soullessness has been accelerating lately? Like... to the point where it might just be a few more years until the name "Disney" really doesn't mean anything anymore (Aside from shallow, cookie cutter, over-scheduled, overpriced family vacations).

I dunno, it's felt like that to me for a while; the flood of IP everywhere, diminishing guest experience as a result of a flood of APs, the constant price increases, the dumb add-on "experiences", up charges for services that are free at other Disney parks, and of course DLR's recent disastrous PR moves, and on and on. The only difference now is that it's so blatantly obvious it's impossible to deny.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I dunno, it's felt like that to me for a while; the flood of IP everywhere, diminishing guest experience as a result of a flood of APs, the constant price increases, the dumb add-on "experiences", up charges for services that are free at other Disney parks, and of course DLR's recent disastrous PR moves, and on and on. The only difference now is that it's so blatantly obvious it's impossible to deny.

???

D

Deleted member 107043

Ahhh...so a list of slow rolling bad press? I thought you were talking about a specific incident...I gotcha

I was talking about several specific incidents, all within the last year. The most telling for me was when Disney went after the LA Times last fall for questioning political favors it has received for doing business in Anaheim, a story, which by the way, made national news. The ongoing debate about its low wages and homelessness among cast members, which the company responded to with one of the most insensitive and dry corporate responses I've ever head from a DLR spokesperson, has also received broad national attention.

http://www.newsweek.com/disneyland-...tle-they-struggle-afford-food-and-risk-824309

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...struggle-to-pay-for-food-shelter-survey-finds

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...h-homelessness-and-food-insecurity-2018-03-01

But that's more of a local thing...which Anaheim "issues" tend to be.

Each of these stories has received national news coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was talking about several specific incidents, all within the last year. The most telling for me was when Disney went after the LA Times last fall for questioning political favors it has received for doing business in Anaheim, a story, which by the way, made national news. The ongoing debate about its low wages and homelessness among cast members, which the company responded to with one of the most insensitive and dry corporate responses I've ever head from a DLR spokesperson, has also received broad national attention.

http://www.newsweek.com/disneyland-...tle-they-struggle-afford-food-and-risk-824309

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...struggle-to-pay-for-food-shelter-survey-finds

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...h-homelessness-and-food-insecurity-2018-03-01

Each of these stories has received national news coverage.

I follow disney as much as the next guy...and it didn't get that much play. The poverty thing did...that's an issue. And the Anaheim city council going "anti-disney" did as well.

Not the best time for the management...I'll concede that.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Modern Action Figures are atrocious these days. Twice as expensive for half the quality.
I've reverted to buying back the classic 80's and 90's TMNT figures.
About the only modern thing I collect anymore are Pop! vinyls.
...Speaking of, I wouldn't mind a few more Disney Park exclusives (you listening WDI?!?!)

Rich T

Modern Action Figures are atrocious these days. Twice as expensive for half the quality.
...Speaking of, I wouldn't mind a few more Disney Park exclusives (you listening WDI?!?!)
Well, I *was* collecting Disney Infinity figures (sad trombone sound) because I loved the art style. I still buy an occasional Nintendo Amiibo -- mainly the more obscure characters that will probably never have another shot at toydom (Duck Hunt Dog! Mr. Game & Watch! :D) For me, the design is everything: I love the new toony Weta Workshop Vinyl Mini-Epics (bought Gimli and Gollum)!

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Well, I *was* collecting Disney Infinity figures (sad trombone sound) because I loved the art style. I still buy an occasional Nintendo Amiibo -- mainly the more obscure characters that will probably never have another shot at toydom (Duck Hunt Dog! Mr. Game & Watch! :D) For me, the design is everything: I love the new toony Weta Workshop Vinyl Mini-Epics (bought Gimli and Gollum)!
I bought the Rey Forces of Destiny figure because it actually looks more like her than the awful action figures.

Never thought I'd be into Vinylmation either, but there are some fun Epcot-centric ones that I've found.

Phroobar

How about backing this:

s11-u5-img-02.jpg

s11-u5-img-12.jpg

3386 of 5,000 backer goal | 11 days to go | $499. Comes with Jabba and Yak Face figures. 4ft long. I have a feeling it will show up at the Parks backed or not.

https://www.hasbrolab.com/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom