WDI integration with DCP announced today

CaptainAmerica

Except Disney is notorius for heavy handed medling in licensee products... in what they allow in approvals and designs. They very much influence (and often limit) the final products made by licensees... and that doesn't even include the products that Disney contracts under it's own labels.
But isn't most of the meddling done by the creative segments rather than consumer products? For example, creative approval for Star Wars products comes from LucasFilm (part of the Studio segment), not consumer products. Same with Pixar and the Cars line, Marvel, etc.

You're probably right regarding Disney Princess and any of the Fab Five lines.

brb1006

At least she sounded genuie and caring during the day of Disneyland Paris's 25th Anniversary unlike Chapek and Iger.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But isn't most of the meddling done by the creative segments rather than consumer products? For example, creative approval for Star Wars products comes from LucasFilm (part of the Studio segment), not consumer products. Same with Pixar and the Cars line, Marvel, etc.

You're probably right regarding Disney Princess and any of the Fab Five lines.

Dunno - but I find a hard time believing they keep all that in house when they have an entire division of the company dedicated to these interactions.

Curious Constance

Disney doesn't have toy designers as such. Watch the Netflix documentary "The Toys that Made Us." You seem to not understand how the industry works. What you're thinking of as "toy design" isn't done by Disney, it's done by license holders. LEGO designs LEGO sets, not Disney. Mattel designs the diecast Cars line, not Disney. Hasbro designs the Star Wars Black Series and ForceLink figures, not Disney. Funko designs Pop! Vinyls, not Disney. Nobody at Disney does "toy design" as you're thinking of it. Not in WDI or the old Consumer Products or anywhere else.

The kind of thing they're talking about is stuff like Disney Infinity or Playmation, not the next 1:55 scale Lightning McQueen figure.

You're right, have very little knowledge of how this works. So, it's mainly the video game designers who are now considered "imagineers"?

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I don't know where the idea that Disney doesn't design its own merch comes from. Sure, for licensed merchandise they approve designs that are then manufactured by licensees (like a Mattel princess doll, for example, or Disney Lego set), but up until yesterday, there were full design departments in Parks & Resorts to handle parks merch (mouse ears, etc.), and in DCP to handle in-house merch for Disney Stores (good example: Tsum Tsums are designed in house by DCP).

Now that merch design will fall to WDI, there are a lot of redundant positions and it's kind of a bloodbath right now.

TP2000

Now that merch design will fall to WDI, there are a lot of redundant positions and it's kind of a bloodbath right now.

For a division like Consumer Products that has had weak and/or declining financial numbers for several years now, that's not a good place to be in. I'm sure there will be plenty of layoffs in Consumer Products before the close of fiscal year 2018 in six months. Perhaps some in WDI too.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
For a division like Consumer Products that has had weak and/or declining financial numbers for several years now, that's not a good place to be in. I'm sure there will be plenty of layoffs in Consumer Products before the close of fiscal year 2018 in six months. Perhaps some in WDI too.

So if there are two people doing identical jobs - one at DCP and the other at WDI - I want you to guess which one gets laid off.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't know where the idea that Disney doesn't design its own merch comes from. Sure, for licensed merchandise they approve designs that are then manufactured by licensees (like a Mattel princess doll, for example, or Disney Lego set), but up until yesterday, there were full design departments in Parks & Resorts to handle parks merch (mouse ears, etc.), and in DCP to handle in-house merch for Disney Stores (good example: Tsum Tsums are designed in house by DCP).

Which hopefully means some better quality stuff now that its under WDI....

Last edited:

Curious Constance

See @CaptainAmerica maybe I'm not the only one who doesn't know what I'm talking about!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Do you think this was at all driven by SW:GE? I imagine all sorts of conflict between the two divisions with the parks guys wanting to create all their own branded specific merchandise for the land. Meanwhile the merch crew wanting to shove all the same usual crap... all coming to a head where the solution is just to dissolve them into one unit.

Star Wars merchandise took a huge downturn last year...

It's not just that preferences are changes - though they are - it's that disney isn't doing a good job witu Star Wars...sit back and watch the evidence mount.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Except Disney is notorius for heavy handed medling in licensee products... in what they allow in approvals and designs. They very much influence (and often limit) the final products made by licensees... and that doesn't even include the products that Disney contracts under it's own labels.

Agreed...everything they do is heavy handed...merch would be no different.

I don't think the designers are pushing the repetivite, minimum quality product that floods stores and parks now...that's disney and great guys like chapek and pressler being told bleed every cent from the blood they use in the Chinese sweatshops...

They can't bother to print different tags for the plushes..."disney parks"...lol!

Disney Irish

Premium Member

It's not just that preferences are changes - though they are - it's that disney isn't doing a good job witu Star Wars...sit back and watch the evidence mount.

Which is probably one of the reasons why this move happened, they want to put their better design teams on creating better merch.

CaptainAmerica

Swing and a miss. Rogue One wasn't nearly as kid friendly as The Force Awakens. Nobody was surprised by the dip. It'll be back up with The Last Jedi, then down again for Solo.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Swing and a miss. Rogue One wasn't nearly as kid friendly as The Force Awakens. Nobody was surprised by the dip. It'll be back up with The Last Jedi, then down again for Solo.

Wrong...I wasn't talking about rogue one...

Orders were down 67% for the holiday season 2017. That ain't rogue one.

And that crap is clearance bin now...it's been talked about. Thanks for playing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom