Ways to stay cool and housing question

CJR

Original Poster
I just accepted a Custodial position for Fall Advantage 2008. It wasn't the role I wanted (hospitality), but I thought it was better than nothing. Since I am going to be working there during the summer, I thought I would ask, are there tricks that past CM's have done to keep cool in the summer. I tend to sweat easily when it's even warm outside and I'm sure most guests don't want to talk to a CM covered in sweat. So, if you have any tips to stay cool while working in the sun, I'd love to know them.

Also, the website made it sound like they choose the housing complex for you. I want to stay at Chatham. Are we allowed to request a specific complex?

Thanks for answering, I'm really excited about working at WDW!:sohappy:

joanna71985

I can't answer the first qustion (since I sweat down there too).

But for the second one- at check in you can request which one you would like to stay in (comeplex and apartment size). They will try to give it to you. I have gotten the comeplex/size I have wanted all 3 times.

ImaYoyo

Won't a hospitality College Program take place mostly indoors? Just curious... Isn't it Housekeeping/Front Desk/Resort Concierge/Resort Guest Show? I could be totally off here, it's been a while since I've had any attachment with the College Programs or International Programs... Things were WAY different when I went through... lol.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Won't a hospitality College Program take place mostly indoors? Just curious... Isn't it Housekeeping/Front Desk/Resort Concierge/Resort Guest Show? I could be totally off here, it's been a while since I've had any attachment with the College Programs or International Programs... Things were WAY different when I went through... lol.
The OP wanted Hospitality, but got Custodial... :lookaroun

I just accepted a Custodial position for Fall Advantage 2008. It wasn't the role I wanted (hospitality), but I thought it was better than nothing. Since I am going to be working there during the summer, I thought I would ask, are there tricks that past CM's have done to keep cool in the summer. I tend to sweat easily when it's even warm outside and I'm sure most guests don't want to talk to a CM covered in sweat. So, if you have any tips to stay cool while working in the sun, I'd love to know them.

Also, the website made it sound like they choose the housing complex for you. I want to stay at Chatham. Are we allowed to request a specific complex?

Thanks for answering, I'm really excited about working at WDW!

zeroFantasy

Don't know about the cooling part. I almost passed out 3 times when I got stuck on an outside position sometimes.

You can choose your housing complex (although sometimes you can't if they're packed), which is why it's a good idea to choose the earliest arrival dates AND get to the check in at Vista as early as possible!

flower4pwr

Well they are going to say this to you a million times during your training but make sure you stay hydrated! It's easy to forget when you are busy but when you start to feel dizzy, you'll remember! They give you water bottles you can clip to your belt loop so just keep it filled so your water doesn't get hot and you're good to go!
Another important thing is to take a breather when you need one! All my managers were awesome (and I'm sure this is probably an across property policy) but if you start to feel bad because of the heat find some shade and a fan and take a breather!
I'm like you and I sweat a lot and still get over heated easily! I once almost passed out on stage during a flag retreat (Which is in the middle of mainstreet during a solemn ceremony!) I learned my lesson after that. It's not worth your health... just sit it out if you don't think you can make it! :wave:

CJR

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers! I can't wait to go. As I told my mom, I might be sweeping trash, but I'm sweeping Epcot trash! :ROFLOL: I've heard nothing but good stuff about the actual custodial role. I think I'll like it for the most part. I kind of had a feeling I would be told to drink water and take breathers, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks again for the replies!

The second question answers led me to a third question. If I do that thing to know my roomate in advance, can I pick the complex and size earlier? I don't know how else they could tell you who you're rooming with if they don't already know where you're staying.

Thanks for the answers and have a great week!:sohappy::sohappy:

CJR

Original Poster
^ I don't intend to be one of them. I want my section (where ever that may be) to look as if Walt Disney himself had cleaned it. :D I'm a perfectionist, so I'm sure I'll take my job very seriously.

joanna71985

Thanks for the answers! I can't wait to go. As I told my mom, I might be sweeping trash, but I'm sweeping Epcot trash! :ROFLOL: I've heard nothing but good stuff about the actual custodial role. I think I'll like it for the most part. I kind of had a feeling I would be told to drink water and take breathers, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks again for the replies!

The second question answers led me to a third question. If I do that thing to know my roomate in advance, can I pick the complex and size earlier? I don't know how else they could tell you who you're rooming with if they don't already know where you're staying.

Thanks for the answers and have a great week!:sohappy::sohappy:

That's a great way to look at it!:) I did it, and I enjoyed it (and I actually was at Epcot, in the WS).

most people i knew who did custodial ended up spending most of the time in the breakroom

:shrug::shrug:

I wasn't.

joanna71985

good to hear that both of you did your job properly!!! i hated people who tried to cheat the company.

I could never do that. I really want to work at Disney FT once I graduate.

Also, this is kinda lame. But I feel my claim-to-fame is, over 3 CPs, I have not called in once.:eek:

Nic4Mick

Custodial people sweep through the stores and queue lines as well. Great way to cool off in the AC while still working. If the heat gets a bit much you can always find a shady tree to stand under, or talk to some guests in the shade. You don't have to be cleaning constantly but at least you would still be onstage. And your water bottle is your best friend!
xxx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom