Watching the fireworks from Poly Beach

epcotisbest

So if I eat there or spend money there, then it is ok? What kind of rationale is that? Walt Disney World is ONE large resort, not 20+ different small ones, they want you to explore all of the grounds and spend time in more than just the parks, I really can't understand your mindset

And, I think the idea of the resort areas being open to visitors to see is that people might just see it and stay there themselves some day. Sorta no cost marketing or self promotion.

CaptainAmerica

So if I eat there or spend money there, then it is ok? What kind of rationale is that? Walt Disney World is ONE large resort, not 20+ different small ones, they want you to explore all of the grounds and spend time in more than just the parks, I really can't understand your mindset
That's so silly. "Walt Disney World is ONE large resort so I'm going to bring my putter and some golf balls and play Fantasia Gardens for free. I bought a ticket to Epcot so I'm entitled."

Regardless, the OP is not staying at ANY Disney resort, so your point is irrelevant anyways.

CaptainAmerica

And, I think the idea of the resort areas being open to visitors to see is that people might just see it and stay there themselves some day. Sorta no cost marketing or self promotion.
It's not "no cost." It's no monetary cost to Disney, but it ruins the experience for Poly guests when a bunch of Cousin Eddies show up on their beach with coolers full of baloney sandwiches and Arizona iced tea.

Dave B

That's so silly. "Walt Disney World is ONE large resort so I'm going to bring my putter and some golf balls and play Fantasia Gardens for free. I bought a ticket to Epcot so I'm entitled."

Regardless, the OP is not staying at ANY Disney resort, so your point is irrelevant anyways.
Who said anything about not paying for a venue that is available at the large resort of Walt Disney World

CaptainAmerica

How many times have you seen cousin Eddie show up, in my 8 trips, I have NEVER seen this, you are not being rational
I see it all the time. The worst I've personally encountered is at at Animal Kingdom Lodge but I don't stay in the monorail resorts where I'm sure it's much worse.

correcaminos

I never said it was against the rules. Pool hopping is tacky and it would be tacky regardless of whether there was an official rule against it. I feel the same way about this.

Yes, you CAN do that, as in you can get away with it. You're not supposed to do that. Free parking at Disney Springs is for people shopping or dining at Disney Springs, it's not a way to get around parking fees at the parks and resorts.
Pool hopping is not allowed except for DVC members at select pools. It's a perk... so if a written out perk is tacky, not anything I can say about your opinion.

I agree parking at DS for that is tacky. I would suggest using Lyft/Uber or be prepared to valet park. I think trying to tell people they cannot visit resorts is silly. Disney encourages this.

That said coming to only see fireworks is a bit uncool IMO.

How many times have you seen cousin Eddie show up, in my 8 trips, I have NEVER seen this, you are not being rational
Nor have I. Not being braggy, but I've been a DVC member for 15 years, with regular (multiple so often) trips a year since 2000.

Dave B

As someone who has stayed at the Polynesian many times i see it all the time.
So you are telling me you see people walk up with coolers and open beer cans, slobbishly walking around to the beach and you know for a fact that they are not staying there?

If you have seen this. c'mon now. I can see you thinking maybe someone doesn't belong because maybe they don't meet your dress standards, but how do you know they are not staying at the hotel. I do not see a circumstance where you are sitting in the lobby or parking lot and waiting for people to walk in and then asking them if they are resort guests, you are assuming a lot in your statement!!!! I also cannot believe you approach these people while at the pool or on the beach and ask them if they are staying there

Club Cooloholic

True. The intent is not for people to park and ride for free. Honestly it strikes me as a big time suck to park there and then bus, but Disney could put a stop to it pretty easily if they wanted by checking everyone's magic band to get on the bus. I think Disney is happy any way they can get people on property, because once you're there, you're probably going to spend some money.

Whether visiting a resort is tacky is a matter of opinion. I think a lot of people at least try out a restaurant or lounge at another resort than the one we're staying at, or even just wander through and tour the grounds. There were people at AKL last time I was at Disney who came purely to see the lodge and the animals and whatnot.
Checking everyone's bands would just make the loading process slower. Also they probably figure most people going from that parking lot are headed to another resort to spend money there or go back to their room. So why would they care that much. I would say this would be an issue if there was a lot of people crowding the beaches at the Poly and this was how they were getting there. And maybe it is? I will find out this spring when I am at the Poly. But...my guess is it is not that big a deal. I know I read on here about people popping in on the movies at the beach at the Beach Club, getting the smores and all and not staying there, that seems more egregious to me, but again probably not a ton of people doing this.

Hockey89

We get your mindset...Cheat the system... Bend the rules... Lie... All great traits...

Chi84

Premium Member
Disney is notoriously lax in publishing its rules and policies. It's hard enough to keep track of what is or is not allowed without having to worry about what someone else might think is tacky.

Disney invites non-resort guests to visit its resorts to shop, dine or simply explore the premises in hopes that they will buy something or may consider staying at a resort in the future. They will absolutely restrict parking if their business needs require it. Taking the bus from Disney Springs? Well, resort transportation is supposed to be for resort guests, although, as pointed out earlier, it's unmonitored. I wouldn't do it but others may believe it's allowed. As far as parking at MK and taking the monorail to the Poly to have a drink at Trader Sam's? I can't imagine Disney having a problem with that. Going to sit on the beach to view fireworks may be a different story if the beach is restricted to guests of the resort.

The problem with making up rules based on individual assessments of what they should be is one of line-drawing. If I'm DVC staying on a cash reservation at a moderate or value resort I can visit Animal Kingdom Lodge just to show the members of my party the lobby, but if I'm not DVC then it's tacky? I'm sure Disney would have no problem with people staying in the mods or values visiting its deluxe resorts. That's what we did before we bought into DVC. If Disney is actually inviting you to do something - visit its resorts - then you should do it without worrying about what someone you don't know thinks about it. If Disney was half as antagonistic toward its guests as some people on these boards would like it to be, it would have been out of business years ago.

Part of the problem is Disney’s unique nature. Where else would people be asking if it’s okay to make a restaurant reservation with no intention of eating at the restaurant?

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
We resort hop to different restaurants and hotel gift shops every single time we go to WDW. How am I victimizing anyone when we go over to Kidani and eat at Sana'a, or over to the Poly and enjoy a Dole Whip?
You aren’t. Resort guests are entitled to what Disney gives them, and Disney does not give them exclusive use of the lobby, grounds, etc. It could give them that, but it doesn’t. They may think they’re entitled to that because of what they’re paying, but Disney is not giving it to them. Disney invites people to visit its resorts. If access to the pool or beach are intended for exclusive use by guests of the resort, there will be a sign saying that.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom