Watched the WD historical documentary on PBS - is it a matter of time....

Pete256

Original Poster
I have always been fascinated by historical elements of WDW and Walt Disney himself. On the recent 2 hr American Experience PBS special, they went into detail on the controversy surrounding Song of the South. (for those of you that don't know, this is the movie that Splash Mountain is based upon).

I had also been fascinated by this historical part of Disney, and on a trip this summer my son liked the Brier Rabbit character and noticed they were selling Thumpers instead in the SM gift shop. There was not much actual Splash Mountain merchandise other than T-shirts, etc and we talked to one of the workers and she explained how they have agreed to not promote the existence of the movie...ever....and James Earl Jones bought up all the rights, etc to retire it due to its racist nature. Again, I found this interesting...I am not taking a side or a political position.

I guess my mind wandered one step further and I asked myself this - Isn't it a matter of time before WDW is asked to get rid of the attraction ENTIRELY? I just think this flies under the radar and the political correctness police have not discovered it quite yet....Even though there is no Uncle Remus anywhere within it, the entire attraction is based on this movie.....I am not trying to stir up trouble, just wondering - I have seen less than this attacked as racist and protested.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Off topic a bit but there was two parts 2 hours each. So 4 total hours. It played two evenings. Try to see the other part as well. I have not finished both parts just yet but have them both on my DVR. Don't know if you knew or not there was two parts but thought I would mention it. :)

216bruce

I've never heard the James Earl Jones aspect of this before. That sounds very 'iffy'. Unless you read that or hear it from a MUCH more credible source I wouldn't pay it much mind. That is right up there with the rumor that Bill Cosby 'bought' the Little Rascals/Our Gang for the same reasons. That one is quite false.

Goofyernmost

The ride is based on one small part of the movie. It has no connection for those that allegedly were racist. I'm not sure who is the most offended or should be offended, if either is necessary. The story depicts Uncle Remus as a wise old man with a lot of common sense and caring for his fellow human beings. The story also showed the "white folk" as ignorant, bigoted, shallow, uncaring, self center jerks with no compassion and cold as ice. I'm not sure who should be offended by that movie, but, I'm thinking the focus is on the wrong group. Perhaps intentionally!

MississippiBelle

Bambi ride!!! Who doesn't want to listen to "April Showers" for 5 minutes? Just sweep the mom death bit under the rug with a bit of clever Imagineering and you got yourself a bonafide offense free ride!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The ride is based on one small part of the movie. It has no connection for those that allegedly were racist. I'm not sure who is the most offended or should be offended, if either is necessary. The story depicts Uncle Remus as a wise old man with a lot of common sense and caring for his fellow human beings. The story also showed the "white folk" as ignorant, bigoted, shallow, uncaring, self center jerks with no compassion and cold as ice. I'm not sure who should be offended by that movie, but, I'm thinking the focus is on the wrong group. Perhaps intentionally!
It's not as much the movie that is the concern (although it had issues when it was released), but rather the source material the movie was based upon....

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
For those who haven't seen it, go to PBS's website and watch. Very balanced - Walt as genius and as all humans are, with flaws. Included interviews with Imagineers and Diane Disney Miller's husband. And makes me understand and appreciate even more Roy's partnership with his brother. More than just the "banker". If it weren't for Roy's level head, especially during the artist walkout, we might not have a place we like to visit......

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Oh, and while you are visiting PBS's website, see if you can stream "Jim Henson - In His Own Words" (I think that's the title). A great report on another genius who left us too soon. Even more relevant with the new Muppet show premièring soon. And there's the Disney connection. ;)

French Quarter

I am only halfway through so far but I agree that it was very balanced. I think it is unnecessarily slow, however. (And the PBS woman interrupting and asking for money every few minutes made it more so but it is PBS after all.)

FettFan

I have always been fascinated by historical elements of WDW and Walt Disney himself. On the recent 2 hr American Experience PBS special, they went into detail on the controversy surrounding Song of the South. (for those of you that don't know, this is the movie that Splash Mountain is based upon).

I had also been fascinated by this historical part of Disney, and on a trip this summer my son liked the Brier Rabbit character and noticed they were selling Thumpers instead in the SM gift shop. There was not much actual Splash Mountain merchandise other than T-shirts, etc and we talked to one of the workers and she explained how they have agreed to not promote the existence of the movie...ever....and James Earl Jones bought up all the rights, etc to retire it due to its racist nature. Again, I found this interesting...I am not taking a side or a political position.

I guess my mind wandered one step further and I asked myself this - Isn't it a matter of time before WDW is asked to get rid of the attraction ENTIRELY? I just think this flies under the radar and the political correctness police have not discovered it quite yet....Even though there is no Uncle Remus anywhere within it, the entire attraction is based on this movie.....I am not trying to stir up trouble, just wondering - I have seen less than this attacked as racist and protested.

1. The documentary is crap. So sayeth the folks who actually knew and worked with Disney.

2. Splash Mountain omitted all of the offensive things. Tar baby replaced with honey, Uncle Remus isn't there, etc.

JIMINYCR

Splash wont be taken down. It is too popular and continues to draw and thrill the crowds. The cries that Song of the South is racist was started by a disgruntled actor and other factions that further inflamed the issue to their benefit. There is a book called "Whos afraid of the Song of the South" by Disney historian, Jim Korkis that describes the matter in great detail. Because protests over perceived racism in this film works to benefit certain interests it will continue to be brought up and keep the film from being released but the ride has no parts included that offends anyone.

216bruce

Splash wont be taken down. It is too popular and continues to draw and thrill the crowds. The cries that Song of the South is racist was started by a disgruntled actor and other factions that further inflamed the issue to their benefit. There is a book called "Whos afraid of the Song of the South" by Disney historian, Jim Korkis that describes the matter in great detail. Because protests over perceived racism in this film works to benefit certain interests it will continue to be brought up and keep the film from being released but the ride has no parts included that offends anyone.
Yup. Any individual or group that has a gripe with dominant culture in this country or has a special interest often uses something that the company did as an example of "what's wrong" or "what the problem is". It gets media attention and is very, visible. Korkis' book is excellent, by the way.
A great example that I see this morning is the group that is protesting "The Muppets" program as "perverted". I mean, really....?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom