Watch out for the birds at WDW!

CarlFredricksen

Original Poster
Just getting back from a short 3 day trip to the world, and aside from a few minor things, had a great time. Alot under scrims/refurbishment, but lines generally 20m or less and Fastpass was readily available, so no complaining.

The one thing I'll take away from this trip was the birds - specifically seagulls - were out of control. This was my 9th in as many years and I've never seen more seagulls flying around, being VERY aggressive towards guests. In EPCOT I saw one swoop down and literally knock a funnel cake out of a guys hand, only to have about 20 seagulls on it within seconds. Same thing at MK near splash with a corn dog. And I feel like in the past the birds would generally stay away from humans; not anymore. I saw more guests running from the birds than birds from guests! I even saw a few scared little kids crying it was so bad! The auxiliary path/bridge in fronteirland that runs from splash along the water to liberty square had so many birds on it no one was walking on it.

I know WDW can't make the birds 'go away' forever, however I feel some deterrents need to be applied to keep them at bay. Maybe this is a seasonal thing? I feel some sort of super high pitched sound humans can't hear could work, or smell that keeps them away? Anyone seen it this bad or CM doing anything to keep them at bay?

rct247

Disney has a special "bird in distress" audio file that they play through the BGM loops when necessary at any of it's parks. I have heard it on Main Street twice and in Tomorrowland once. It usually has to be called in by a manager. For the most park, this does result in the bird calming down and laying low for a bit. It doesn't stop it from happening, but does help. The birds seem more prevalent in the Winter months.

If you food does get snatched up by a bird like that, just notify a nearby cast member with any part of the food you can salvage. More than likely, they can try to provide you a replacement, especially if you have proof.

Vtlsgns2

We were at MK and Epcot on Sunday, and I can attest to this. I saw dozens of them in places I'd never seen them before in the MK!

Two years ago I saw a seagull swoop down and snatch a fried dough from a little girl and fly off. Talk about *MINE!*. And the little girl just stood there like "what just happened?" I was amused, but it's crazy how comfortable they've gotten around people.

Although, the gulls that like to walk around on the tarps above the outdoor tables at Rose & Crown are entertaining to watch - all you can see is their little foot prints walking around above you. I even took a video of it :lol:

Cosmic Commando

And I feel like in the past the birds would generally stay away from humans; not anymore. I saw more guests running from the birds than birds from guests! I even saw a few scared little kids crying it was so bad! The auxiliary path/bridge in fronteirland that runs from splash along the water to liberty square had so many birds on it no one was walking on it.

Sounds like Skynet taking over. :lookaroun

Seriously, though. I wonder if we could eventually see natural/artificial selection take hold. If you think about it, the birds that are most aggressive in taking food from people could have a reproductive advantage over the passive birdies. Of course, if these angry birds eat nothing but french fries and funnel cakes, they could very well drop dead before they have a chance to reproduce. I guess time will tell.

Cmdr_Crimson

I had an encounter with those little rat with wings during 2005. I was at MK during the press event for the Year of A Million Dreams when the first family got to stay in the Cinderella Suite..I decided to get some lunch so I can watch it..I went to Casey's and brought my food down to the other side of Main street as it get's closer to the river. Well no sooner as I start putting my condiments on I turn my head to see fireworks shoot off for the press event...When I turned back....My Hot Dog vanished and my fries taken! I look down to see eight seagulls nomming my fries and one Literally deep throat the hot dog, choke it up and eat it again....All I had left were two fries and my drink..Luckily a CM saw the whole thing and I got a new meal for me..After which I ate inside and do not trust those little bad winged birds..

sweetpee_1993

My boys would sooooo love to help Disney out with the bird problems. I don't think Disney would be so keen on turning them loose in the parks with airsoft guns, .22's, and slingshots. Oooh, or toss a fist full of alka-seltzer tablets on the ground for the gluttons to beat each other up for. Lol! Seriously, having the bird droppings all around is soooo unsanitary. It's a problem people create, though, when they feed the stinkin' birds thinking its cute. It's not cute. We once lived in a town house complex where people fed the ducks constantly. It's all fun until the whole brood was on your patio pooh'ing all over and pecking their bills against the glass door begging. Ducks have disgusted me ever since. Yuck!

GoofyRacer11

I'm not saying that this would stop all the birds
from coming into the parks, but if people stopped
feeding them then most likely they wouldn't be
hanging around the parks as much. This would also
lower, if not get rid of all the food snatching, after
they learn that they don't need to rely on us for food.

captainkidd

I've come up with my own way for dealing with the birds. I bring a loaf of bread into the park, along with a box of rat poison. I crunch little bits of the poison inside pieces of bread, and chuck them at the birds. That usually teaches them.

Patrick_Ears

I've come up with my own way for dealing with the birds. I bring a loaf of bread into the park, along with a box of rat poison. I crunch little bits of the poison inside pieces of bread, and chuck them at the birds. That usually teaches them.

ummmmmm that would not go over well... people would see them dropping like flies :eek: then Disney would take the heat for that. But i know what ya mean on that, something has to be done to stop it.

sweetpee_1993

I was being extremely sarcastic.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if that's what they did. Lol!

I'm totally remembering the scenes in the movie 'Steel Magnolias' when Julia Roberts dad & brother's were launching arrows & rockets with firecrackers attached into the trees surrounding her wedding reception to rid the area of the pesky pooh factories. Disney could park a few characters dancing around nearby or maybe Davy Crocket with a musket and pass it off as pyro for a show. :lol:

raven

Best thing to do to make them go away: don't feed them.

Most of the ducks and other birds hang around guest areas because they are fed.

When they were building Bay Lake Tower the construction workers used to throw food out to the vultures near the lake. When I went for the Open Mouse (cast preview) we dubbed the area "Buzzard Beach" due to so many of them being around. :lol:

Patrick_Ears

I was being extremely sarcastic.

yeah it's alright , but we all know if the birds would start dropping like that. Someone would get all huffy puffy, ohh why is Disney killing birds... :ROFLOL:

i tell will you a short story when i worked there in 1990 i was in MK and the seagulls was going crazy, this CM took his broom and started to whack at them. Let's just say it gotten ugly really fast because a lady walked up to him and told him something, it was not nice. I walked away from it because my boss was standing there saying move away. :lol: but they was attacking a young girl for her ice cream. Yes the CM did not get fired, but they moved him to another location. ahhh the memories... :ROFLOL: seen so much..... :eek:

Brer Mickey

In May 2009, I was at DHS with my friends walking past Indiana Jones toward Star Tours when something hit me hard in the chest. It almost felt like getting hit with a paintball. Turns out a bird pooped from the tree above me and the wind caught it halfway down. Needless to say I have hated birds ever since.

powlessfamily4

The problem is if Disney did try to deter the birds I am sure PETA would be all over them. I don't like to see any wildlife coming to harm but when a non human is fighting you for your food that draws the line. I am sure Disney consulted experts on what to do years ago and since the problem is still happening I would have to guess that there is no real anser to the problem. Eat fast and carry an airsoft! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom