• No

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • I stopped caring

Votes: 18 23.4%

• Total voters

J4546

I don't understand your lion King point. Lion King was put into The Land pavilion to specifically educate people about the land. Moana is just doing Moana things in a park Moana doesn't belong in.

There's nothing wrong with Star Wars characters being only available in Galaxy's Edge. Disney has soooooooooooooo many IPs to work with. Finding your favorite character at one park is, you'd think, would be a great business strategy to get people to go to every park.

"Oh, you saw Elsa in Hollywood Studios... We don't have to go to Epcot."

Why limit yourself to Moana in two parks she doesn't belong in, when you have dozens of different options that actually WOULD make sense in that park?

I really am not totally against IPs in multiple parks... As long as it makes SENSE. People just recently started defending Moana as a cultural representative.. but that's not even what that section of Epcot is about. If she was here for cultural purposes then why not put her in her own pavilion in world showcase?

Let me brainstorm for a second...... What if instead of Moana for Journey of Water....... We had just waited a little longer for Pixar's "Elemental" film to come out? Then we would having a pavilion dedicated to ALL the elements. My goodness, that would make so much more sense for Epcot. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to just think about what would work better.
It literally a walkthrough to educate people about the journey of water.

James Alucobond

I don't understand your lion King point. Lion King was put into The Land pavilion to specifically educate people about the land. Moana is just doing Moana things in a park Moana doesn't belong in.
What makes you think this? From the placards we can read so far at the attraction, it is explicitly about the water cycle, with Moana used as a guide or representative to teach us about it. How does that differ from what you just said about the Lion King?
Let me brainstorm for a second...... What if instead of Moana for Journey of Water....... We had just waited a little longer for Pixar's "Elemental" film to come out? Then we would having a pavilion dedicated to ALL the elements. My goodness, that would make so much more sense for Epcot. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to just think about what would work better.
Again, I agree I would personally utilize the space differently and likely lean on different properties. I also agree that I would utilize more varied IP and spread it out more across the parks. That still has little to do with why, looking at this attraction in isolation, Moana is such an inappropriate or unappealing character. It seems like it’s just “because princess”.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
If you haven't figured it out The Walt Disney Company isn't a democracy. They do market research, observe customer feedback and then make plans to do things they want. I wish you well in your reconstruction of Epcot 82 , YesterCot.
That is still just blatantly dismissing a debate that is more than acceptable to have on a fan forum site. 🤷‍♂️ It's okay to talk about things we cannot change. It's okay to debate Disney's decisions. That's what fans do.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
What makes you think this? From the placards we can read so far at the attraction, it is explicitly about the water cycle, with Moana used as a guide or representative to teach us about it. How does that differ from what you just said about the Lion King?

Again, I agree I would personally utilize the space differently and likely lean on different properties. I also agree that I would utilize more varied IP and spread it out more across the parks. That still has little to do with why, looking at this attraction in isolation, Moana is such an inappropriate or unappealing character. It seems like it’s just “because princess”.
I'd like to make this clear -- I don't disagree with you...

But it could have been done better, as I have pointed out... And as you have pointed out. Therefore, I'm not willing to back down on an opinion by leaving it at "Disney does what they want so deal with it." Nah. I'm still going to complain.

"Because princess" is my argument as to why she doesn't fit in Epcot. "Because princess" is also Disney's argument as to why she DOES fit in Epcot. Ya get my drift? Lol

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

That is still just blatantly dismissing a debate that is more than acceptable to have on a fan forum site. 🤷‍♂️ It's okay to talk about things we cannot change. It's okay to debate Disney's decisions. That's what fans do.
Ok, well, I’ve had enough of the whining club, so I’ll leave you to your hypothetical rehashing. Maybe frame it that way in your OP next time and those of us who want to discuss real things can skip it. Or maybe post it in the Imagineering section where people can come up with different ideas. You know, a positive experience instead of a gripefest.

#unfollowthread

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Ok, well, I’ve had enough of the whining club, so I’ll leave you to your hypothetical rehashing. Maybe frame it that way in your OP next time and those of us who want to discuss real things can skip it. Or maybe post it in the Imagineering section where people can come up with different ideas. You know, a positive experience instead of a gripefest.

#unfollowthread
Like I originally stated... I'm only replying to people who specifically have replied to me.

You're not discussing anything... You're just name calling... I really don't mind having a conversation about why Moana in Epcot doesn't work for me. That is literally the point of this thread. It's either that or vise versa. If you just choose not to care, then that's it. That's your post. There's nothing else to talk about. So post that and move on. 🤷‍♂️

None of your responses have been respectful, informative, or welcome to discussing different debates.

BlakeW39

#unfollowthread

#ignore

Brer Panther

they've been fairly upfront that the new "theme" of EPCOT is humanity itself.
You mean the new "theme" of EPCOT isn't just "whatever IPs are making Disney the most money"?
Let me brainstorm for a second...... What if instead of Moana for Journey of Water....... We had just waited a little longer for Pixar's "Elemental" film to come out? Then we would having a pavilion dedicated to ALL the elements.
Maybe if the film is successful, that can be what they replace Wonders of Life with (the Play Pavilion is definitely off the table, right?).

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Maybe if the film is successful, that can be what they replace Wonders of Life with (the Play Pavilion is definitely off the table, right?).
Well then the theming on that side of EPCOT would be SUPER off... Elements would be on the "World Nature" side, right?

So not using Elemental was a potential Epcot-attraction loss...

James Alucobond

Well then the theming on that side of EPCOT would be SUPER off... Elements would be on the "World Nature" side, right?

So not using Elemental was a potential Epcot-attraction loss...
^ This. I would honestly rather see Elemental move into Imagination and Figment move to Wonders or Odyssey as it also pairs fairly nicely with the PLAY! concept and would allow them to just bisect former Future World as Nature in the west and Discovery in the east, but I imagine suggesting Figment vacate the pyramids is tantamount to blasphemy. 😆

LeighM

I don't have strong feelings about Moana one way or another, but if Disney is using popular IP characters to make a potentially boring topic interesting to young minds to get them excited about learning, I'm all for it. I think children are more likely to pay attention with Moana as a guide versus a middle aged actor they don't know. To me, it's an equivalent of what Magic School Bus and Ms. Frizzle did with my generation. Disney is not always trying to create new projects with the adult Disney fan in mind. We're being aged out and they are building attractions for the younger generation and to build loyalty to the parks within the next generation. And to that point, I think Disney is doing as well as they can to build attractions for all generations with a few duds thrown in. I care less about what IP goes where and more about why did they put so few accessible seats on Tron.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom