• No

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • I stopped caring

Votes: 18 23.4%

• Total voters

eliza61nyc

Lol, all entertainment companies make their money off of intellectual properties. So you're essentially saying it makes zero sense for anyone to complain about intellectual properties at all. Which of course reflects either a gross misunderstanding of what people mean by 'intellectual property' or a strong bias against people who argue this particular point.

I just figured it went without saying that the issue here ISN'T IP itself... no duh, any idea Disney creates it will own, and will therefore be its intellectual property.

The real issues people are complaing about are two-fold— but both have to do not with the concept of companies (in this case, Disney) owning and then using intellectual properties, but rather with how companies (Disney) use their intellectual properties.

1. Disney refuses to create new intellectual properties. This narrows the scope of what Disney creatives are allowed to do and prevents them from creating the best possible attractions in the parks they are designed for...essentially, if you picture the parks as a movie with a running plot (which may help as an analogy, because film is a more commonly understood creative medium), one plot beat leads to another. One land, one attraction leads to another land, another attraction to create a cohesively designed park. Forcing unrelated IPs into a theme park with a core vision is like forcing references and nostalgia **** into a movie. It breaks up the plot and distracts from its themes, it makes it inconsistent and cheapens the artistry of the film. Same goes for forced IPs in the parks.

2. Disney has an obsession with pop-culture film IPs that don't fit in the parks very well. Basically, these films have their own sets of themes, storytelling methods, and artistic directions... ones that are different from the parks. They were never designed with, for example, EPCOT in mind and they therefore do not fit the artistic direction of that park.

These are completely valid criticisms that your comment is designed to basically just ignore and dismiss. Sure you may disagree with the criticisms of film IPs in the Disney parks. But that doesn't mean you can dismiss the mere premise of criticizing the ways a company handles IP at all.
I think one of the disconnects is the people who care are a dying bred. I highly doubt if most of the newcomers even know about Epcot's "original" goal. It seems most are happy that their kids see familiar stuff no matter where it's placed.

LOL imo it's like old people constantly complaining about kids playing endless video games. for good or bad, video games are here to stay, no going back.

Now as you pointed out Disney is creating new Ip, Yes, Epcot was not designed for this but that does not mean it can't change, I for one don't understand the obsession for the "old" Epcot (yes I know everyone here feels it was the greatest thing walt ever did) I never experienced it so I don't have anything to compare it too. I have looked at old videos but I think it may be one of those things where you had to experience it to appreciate it

I don't think previous poster meant to dismiss it, more like as the original poster admitted her or himself, it's basically the 99,000 time we've discussed it, we can essentially have a poll for every ride because people have a complaint for just about every one.

I think we got it. movie IP in the parks is bad, Movie IP in Epcot is right up there with short-sheeting the pope.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I think many people have skipped over the part of not using IP correctly.

Like I stated in the original post... Nemo was executed very well. It could go a step further by imitating the aquarium in the sequel... And by making the ride a bit better.

Frozen Ever After was not executed very well. It replaced an attraction that was unique and fitting for Epcot while being true to the country it resides in. Frozen is just another Magic Kingdom attraction that should have gone in magic kingdom... Or just make a frozen land in HS since that is where HS is going these days.

The Lion King was well executed for its environmental film that used to be in the land.

Rat feels like a studios attraction (ironically being copied from an overseas studios park), but is not as controversial because it didn't replace anything and was essentially shoved out of site in the back corner of the park.

Beauty & the Beast sing-along is the biggest evidence of how messed up Disney is treating Epcot. Which I hope everyone can agree upon that.

Guardians just flat out doesn't work and completely ruined the aesthetic of the park on that side with a big ugly box. Guardians is one of those "at least it KIND of works" arguments...

An example of IP working to fit a park's overall purpose that is NOT in magic kingdom... Original Hollywood Studios. Never seen so much IP in my life! Great Movie Ride in and of itself had a ridiculous amount of IP! Muppets showcasing their 3D technology. Indiana Jones being used to showcase how stunt films were made. Even Rockin Roller Coaster worked to the theme of a band doing a tour in Hollywood as a big record label. If they weren't showing how films were made, they blended it in with the rest of the park such as Tower of Terror, or Star Tours queue looking like a movie set...

Animal Kingdom, for instance...... Bugs Life is a great example of using IP to present a parks message, with it explaining to guests how important bugs are in the animal world too. Joe Rhode made it possible for Avatarland to actually work in AK by showing us how nature will always take back what was once there, the possibilities of life on other planets, and the thrill of discovering new worlds. That, in and of itself, is it's own beastly kingdom.

Chester & Hester was a mistake, but if you looked at the original plans for dinoland, you'd see that the excavation sight and everything planned for that space would have given us insight on how we deal with fossils, and dinosaur in and of itself literally takes us back in time during one of the biggest natural events on earth.

...Epcot??? Frozen, plop it down. No thematic reasoning. Rat, plop it down. No thematic reasoning (other than France.) Guardians, plop it down. No thematic reasoning. Wreck it Ralph meet n greet in Imagination, plop it down. No thematic reasoning. Moana, plop it down. No thematic reasoning.

At least I can find a reason for Nemo being in Living Seas... Heck... It would make even more sense to build a new living seas in AK and just put that next to the nemo theater and have an aquatics section of the park... But alas... It's fine...

The whole meaning behind Moana's water exhibit could have easily been done with a new water exhibit outside of imagination. It was unnecessary. We have up better projects for this.

Even what COULD have happened... PLAY! Pavilion. Plop as many IPs down in world discovery inside one building as possible... No thematic sense.

At least things are starting to make sense in Hollywood Studios. As mentioned before, it's slowly migrating into an islands of adventure style park with fully immersive land. "step inside the movies" park. SLOWLY... but surely.

Epcot? A mess mess mess.

James Alucobond

I broadly agree with many points about placement and prioritization, but I am still not swayed by any of the arguments made about why Moana doesn’t fit when Nemo, Lion King, and others do. There’s just a vague assertion that she doesn’t “feel” right to you, with a subtle implication that the princesses need to stick to their niche in the Magic Kingdom.

Why is Moana locked to one location when the other examples you gave have appeared in multiple parks? What does she lack that prevents her from effectively hosting this attraction?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

At least things are starting to make sense in Hollywood Studios. As mentioned before, it's slowly migrating into an islands of adventure style park with fully immersive land. "step inside the movies" park. SLOWLY... but surely.

Epcot? A mess mess mess.

How do you explain how Disneyland or Magic Kingdom makes sense in your worldview? Walt Disney himself stated that he thought Disneyland should never be completed. Times and people change... that's the only constant

The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be

To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship, welcome.

Epcot is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all.

May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywher
e.

"Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient, and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs, and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony, and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn."

“Walt Disney World is a tribute to the philosophy and life of Walter Elias Disney … and to the talents, the dedication, and the loyalty of the entire Disney organization that made Walt Disney’s dream come true. May Walt Disney World bring joy and inspiration and New Knowledge to all who come to this happy place … a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh and play and learn – together.”

doctornick

I broadly agree with many points about placement and prioritization, but I am still not swayed by any of the arguments made about why Moana doesn’t fit when Nemo, Lion King, and others do. There’s just a vague assertion that she doesn’t “feel” right to you, with a subtle implication that the princesses need to stick to their niche in the Magic Kingdom.

Why is Moana locked to one location when the other examples you gave have appeared in multiple parks? What does she lack that prevents her from effectively hosting this attraction?
On that note, I actually feel like Moana as a representation of Polynesia culture (and the movie was very much embracing the culture) fits better in Epcot than most Disney IPs. Obviously would be more sensible somewhere purpose designed in WS though. That being said, the ideas in the film regarding exploration and wondering kids does harken to old FW - though I don’t think JoW will be focused on that.

Centauri Space Station

Like I stated in the original post... Nemo was executed very well. It could go a step further by imitating the aquarium in the sequel... And by making the ride a bit better.

Frozen Ever After was not executed very well. It replaced an attraction that was unique and fitting for Epcot while being true to the country it resides in. Frozen is just another Magic Kingdom attraction that should have gone in magic kingdom... Or just make a frozen land in HS since that is where HS is going these days.

The Lion King was well executed for its environmental film that used to be in the land.

Rat feels like a studios attraction (ironically being copied from an overseas studios park), but is not as controversial because it didn't replace anything and was essentially shoved out of site in the back corner of the park.

Beauty & the Beast sing-along is the biggest evidence of how messed up Disney is treating Epcot. Which I hope everyone can agree upon that.

Guardians just flat out doesn't work and completely ruined the aesthetic of the park on that side with a big ugly box. Guardians is one of those "at least it KIND of works" arguments...

An example of IP working to fit a park's overall purpose that is NOT in magic kingdom... Original Hollywood Studios. Never seen so much IP in my life! Great Movie Ride in and of itself had a ridiculous amount of IP! Muppets showcasing their 3D technology. Indiana Jones being used to showcase how stunt films were made. Even Rockin Roller Coaster worked to the theme of a band doing a tour in Hollywood as a big record label. If they weren't showing how films were made, they blended it in with the rest of the park such as Tower of Terror, or Star Tours queue looking like a movie set...

Animal Kingdom, for instance...... Bugs Life is a great example of using IP to present a parks message, with it explaining to guests how important bugs are in the animal world too. Joe Rhode made it possible for Avatarland to actually work in AK by showing us how nature will always take back what was once there, the possibilities of life on other planets, and the thrill of discovering new worlds. That, in and of itself, is it's own beastly kingdom.

Chester & Hester was a mistake, but if you looked at the original plans for dinoland, you'd see that the excavation sight and everything planned for that space would have given us insight on how we deal with fossils, and dinosaur in and of itself literally takes us back in time during one of the biggest natural events on earth.

...Epcot??? Frozen, plop it down. No thematic reasoning. Rat, plop it down. No thematic reasoning (other than France.) Guardians, plop it down. No thematic reasoning. Wreck it Ralph meet n greet in Imagination, plop it down. No thematic reasoning. Moana, plop it down. No thematic reasoning.

At least I can find a reason for Nemo being in Living Seas... Heck... It would make even more sense to build a new living seas in AK and just put that next to the nemo theater and have an aquatics section of the park... But alas... It's fine...

The whole meaning behind Moana's water exhibit could have easily been done with a new water exhibit outside of imagination. It was unnecessary. We have up better projects for this.

Even what COULD have happened... PLAY! Pavilion. Plop as many IPs down in world discovery inside one building as possible... No thematic sense.

Epcot? A mess mess mess.
Not really, the park still uses its plot devices pretty well. Other than GOTG I would say everything fits to an extent, and even guardians has some source of education it’s just that it’s for a fictional planet unlike the rest being about real world

James Alucobond

Not really, the park still uses its plot devices pretty well. Other than GOTG I would say everything fits to an extent, and even guardians has some source of education it’s just that it’s for a fictional planet unlike the rest being about real world
This is where I would disagree with you and agree with OP to an extent. To me, Moana works because the topic and content are EPCOT-appropriate, with IP as the window dressing (again, from what we can see so far). Cosmic Rewind, Frozen Ever After, and Ratatouille, on the other hand, focus on the circumstances of the characters’ films and utilize EPCOT itself as the window dressing. Cosmic Rewind is not interested in teaching us anything or even getting us excited about the Big Bang. The entire Galaxarium and pre-show are a ruse to get us to the “fun part” of being in a Marvel film. Likewise, Frozen Ever After and Ratatouille are not interested in exploring the Norwegian and French cultures that inspire and host them. They just exist in those spaces because they happen to be geographically related.

Centauri Space Station

This is where I would disagree with you and agree with OP to an extent. To me, Moana works because the topic and content are EPCOT-appropriate, with IP as the window dressing (again, from what we can see so far). Cosmic Rewind, Frozen Ever After, and Ratatouille, on the other hand, focus on the circumstances of the characters’ films and utilize EPCOT itself as the window dressing. Cosmic Rewind is not interested in teaching us anything or even getting us excited about the Big Bang. The entire Galaxarium and pre-show are a ruse to get us to the “fun part” of being in a Marvel film. Likewise, Frozen Ever After and Ratatouille are not interested in exploring the Norwegian and French cultures that inspire and host them. They just exist in those spaces because they happen to be geographically correct.
I was speaking of the pavilions as a whole. Norway still has the stave Church and culture found through the pavilion. France is far more than just the Rat area. Guardians is more a standalone

BlakeW39

I think one of the disconnects is the people who care are a dying bred. I highly doubt if most of the newcomers even know about Epcot's "original" goal. It seems most are happy that their kids see familiar stuff no matter where it's placed.

LOL imo it's like old people constantly complaining about kids playing endless video games. for good or bad, video games are here to stay, no going back.

Now as you pointed out Disney is creating new Ip, Yes, Epcot was not designed for this but that does not mean it can't change, I for one don't understand the obsession for the "old" Epcot (yes I know everyone here feels it was the greatest thing walt ever did) I never experienced it so I don't have anything to compare it too. I have looked at old videos but I think it may be one of those things where you had to experience it to appreciate it

I don't think previous poster meant to dismiss it, more like as the original poster admitted her or himself, it's basically the 99,000 time we've discussed it, we can essentially have a poll for every ride because people have a complaint for just about every one.

I think we got it. movie IP in the parks is bad, Movie IP in Epcot is right up there with short-sheeting the pope.
Hmmm... well my friend, I'll let you in on a secret: I wasn't even alive for "old EPCOT." And yet, I still care. The YouTuber Poseidon Entertainment, who has brought more awareness to the subjects both of IP in the parks and the de-evolution of EPCOT Center.... is (presumably, I don't know his actual age) too young to have experienced it either.

So I think you're underestimating the longevity of these issues. There will ALWAYS be people to care about this sort of thing ;)

Another secret. "Old" EPCOT didn't exist. It's the same park. I know that seems obvious, but I say this to make sure that we all understand, change is not bad. It would be one thing if EPCOT simply chose a new direction and stuck to it. But that isn't what the park is doing. The same themes and ideas that defined EPCOT Center are still present in EPCOT today. The park simply lacks direction altogether.

So. The question isn't, is change good. Change is not inherently good or bad...it's neutral. The question is whether the specific changes Disney is implementing are good or bad. I would argue, it's a mixed bag. The parks have more quality attractions now than they did 10 years ago. That's a good thing. However, it has come at the cost of certain creative elements and themes...which IS bad... quality does matter. I want Disney to be more than just an amusement park. I want it to be a true theme park, a park with underlying themes and vision guiding its design. Arguably, EPCOT isn't that anymore, and that's why people don't just still care, but I'd argue that (because of the internet, sites like this, YouTube, etc.) they care more now than ever before. And always will.

Tony the Tigger

Everything is where it belongs, because that’s where the Imagineers put it, and it’s their company, their jobs, their decision.

It’s so obnoxious to think message board fanboys and fangirls have thought of these things as if they weren’t discussed during the planning stages? Obviously these thematic questions were all considered and the practical applications outweighed those considerations.

If you let the perfect be the enemy of the good, you’ll end up with a lot less.

And it’s a very different experience to build a new park from the ground up than to replace one attraction at a time over 50 years. A perfectly themed substitute is tricky at best unless you replace the old thing with the same thing.

Tony the Tigger

If it didnt have Moana IP and was just a wlkthrough about the life cycle of water I think a lot of people would think it fit better.
…which demonstrates the weakness and frivolity of that POV.

Take something as boring and basic as the life cycle of water and dress it up with a character kids like and that’s…omg…edutainment!

The idea that it would be nerdier or more authentic or educational with an unnamed character is nitpicky nonsense and silly snobbery.

Boring is boring. Maybe a lot of you were ultra-nerdlings, or maybe being at WDW was enough to trick you into liking classroom vacations, but insisting kids today are as bored as you were just to stand on some imaginary principle is really unfair.

You can always stay home and watch National Geographic or Google “life cycle of water.”

BlakeW39

…which demonstrates the weakness and frivolity of that POV.

Take something as boring and basic as the life cycle of water and dress it up with a character kids like and that’s…omg…edutainment!

The idea that it would be nerdier or more authentic or educational with an unnamed character is nitpicky nonsense and silly snobbery.

Boring is boring. Maybe a lot of you were ultra-nerdlings, or maybe being at WDW was enough to trick you into liking classroom vacations, but insisting kids today are as bored as you were just to stand on some imaginary principle is really unfair.

You can always stay home and watch National Geographic or Google “life cycle of water.”

So basically...

Multiple users on this board: *fair criticism of Disney's treatment of IP*

You: *blatant insults*

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
Without having read all of the comments on thread, and having voted "I don't care," here are my thoughts on this...

EPCOT (the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow) has NEVER been what it was originally intended to be. I'm sure no one reading this needs to hear that, but the perspective of the OP appears to be that it once was. IMHO, EPCOT is utterly mis-named. As a theme park, it is a mish-mash of "stuff" that is largely good, but doesn't fit together. If I had my druthers, EPCOT would be called something different that is more aligned with the global "community" aspect of the international pavilions. It could be a more adult-focused park with appropriate attractions for that audience. Walt's EPCOT was virtually a lost cause from conception and what has happened with it has managed to work. There is tremendous potential for what I am suggesting. It could be argued that the Moana attraction "fits" as a Hawaiian (as yet unrepresented) cultural attraction (like Frozen). That's my .02. =]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom