Was GOTG placed in the right park?

Does GOTG: Cosmic Rewind fit in Epcot

• Yes

• No

• I never cared to begin with

• I've given up on caring

Results are only viewable after voting.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
There is no argument from me against Cosmic Rewind being a good ride. But was it really placed in the right park?

Explain.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
At least they kinda tried to make it fit by making the general premis of it be similar to a World Showcase pavilion. If they just lifted it (as is) and put it in HS, I still don't think it would have fit. They would have needed to design a whole new entrance premises and likely would have needed to create a whole land/mini land around it for it to make sense...

Goofyernmost

I voted "I didn't care to begin with". I've been saying this a lot lately, but I go to WDW to be entertained and have fun. I don't go there to get all OCD about what should or shouldn't go where. It makes absolutely no difference. When you are experiencing any attraction you are part of that attraction, what park it is in never really enters into it. Especially EPCOT! It is the most eclectic park they have and always has been. It's original theme was edutainment but demand changed that to entertainment of vast diversity. It is what it is and it was made whatever it is by the organization that owns and operates it and the public demand identified by attendance.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
I voted "I didn't care to begin with". I've been saying this a lot lately, but I go to WDW to be entertained and have fun. I don't go there to get all OCD about what should or shouldn't go where. It makes absolutely no difference.
I can understand that... But it is supposed to be Disney's job to be OCD about these things so that we could simply just go "Ah! That's really cool!"

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
At least they kinda tried to make it fit by making the general premis of it be similar to a World Showcase pavilion. If they just lifted it (as is) and put it in HS, I still don't think it would have fit. They would have needed to design a whole new entrance premises and likely would have needed to create a whole land/mini land around it for it to make sense...
Imagine how much better that concept you just came up with would have been, though? :)

Poseidon Quest

I voted "I didn't care to begin with". I've been saying this a lot lately, but I go to WDW to be entertained and have fun. I don't go there to get all OCD about what should or shouldn't go where. It makes absolutely no difference. When you are experiencing any attraction you are part of that attraction, what park it is in never really enters into it. Especially EPCOT! It is the most eclectic park they have and always has been. It's original theme was edutainment but demand changed that to entertainment of vast diversity. It is what it is and it was made whatever it is by the organization that owns and operates it and the public demand identified by attendance.

"Fun is cheap. I can have fun in an inflatable pool in my backyard. I can have fun playing basketball by the garage. I can have fun watching videos of snarky cats. This fun costs very little. An inflatable pool costs 50 bucks or less and can be used many times. A trip to a major entertainment venue like a Broadway play or Theme Park can cost many hundreds of dollars per visit, all in. So…are these places just plain fun? Are they hundreds or thousands of times more fun than shooting silly string at each other on the porch? Probably not. Therefore, fun cannot possibly be the motivating factor in the compulsive, repetitive, over-scale patronage of the theme park industry. The motive is simply not competitive enough based on other options. People must be paying this kind of money and making this kind of effort for a reward that is of higher value, more rare, and of greater impact than fun. That reward is many things, among which is the sensation of transport, of being moved magically into another place or another time. It is the intensity of experience which results in permanent memories. It is the rare sensation of cohesiveness, harmony, and thematic organization which allows the human brain to relax and be absorbed. I could go on. But all of these properties reside in the obsessive execution of coordinated detail, resulting in places with a strange otherworldly attraction. And that is not cheap. In fact, theme parks are repositories of human time, effort, and, yes, money…which guests sense through the level of detail, organization, and intensity. Theme parks are a form of communication between designers and audiences… They are relationships. People like worthy, meaningful, invested relationships… Not cheap ones."
- Joe Rohde

SpectreJordan

No. Cosmic Rewind should've been the foundation of a Marvel land in Hollywood Studios. I feel the decision to put that ride in EPCOT is really short sighted. If they do ever build a Marvel land in WDW (please not in EPCOT), it'll feel disjointed since a major Marvel ride is in a different park.

Guardians & Dr Strange would've been pretty good stars of the land since they can't use Avengers, Spidey, X-Men or the Fantastic Four.

I do feel the team did their best to make the ride fit in EPCOT atleast. I really like the "Xandar Pavillion" queue. It does also fill a hole that EPCOT's ride lineup had by not having a thrill ride; but something more thematically fitting like the Mt Fuji coaster would've been preferable.

I also think Disney should really try to aim for Hollywood Studios being their Islands of Adventure competitor. Galaxy's Edge was a step in that direction & Cosmic Rewind would've helped with it too.

Overall, it doesn't really matter since this is my favorite ride ever & it never fails to put a huge smile on my face. But some more thought about where this ride actually went would've been nice.

Br0ckford

"Fun is cheap. I can have fun in an inflatable pool in my backyard. I can have fun playing basketball by the garage. I can have fun watching videos of snarky cats. This fun costs very little. An inflatable pool costs 50 bucks or less and can be used many times. A trip to a major entertainment venue like a Broadway play or Theme Park can cost many hundreds of dollars per visit, all in. So…are these places just plain fun? Are they hundreds or thousands of times more fun than shooting silly string at each other on the porch? Probably not. Therefore, fun cannot possibly be the motivating factor in the compulsive, repetitive, over-scale patronage of the theme park industry. The motive is simply not competitive enough based on other options. People must be paying this kind of money and making this kind of effort for a reward that is of higher value, more rare, and of greater impact than fun. That reward is many things, among which is the sensation of transport, of being moved magically into another place or another time. It is the intensity of experience which results in permanent memories. It is the rare sensation of cohesiveness, harmony, and thematic organization which allows the human brain to relax and be absorbed. I could go on. But all of these properties reside in the obsessive execution of coordinated detail, resulting in places with a strange otherworldly attraction. And that is not cheap. In fact, theme parks are repositories of human time, effort, and, yes, money…which guests sense through the level of detail, organization, and intensity. Theme parks are a form of communication between designers and audiences… They are relationships. People like worthy, meaningful, invested relationships… Not cheap ones."
- Joe Rohde
👏 👏 👏

JIMINYCR

YES you could make a case for it. It is by MS which is space related. They’ve set a precedent by putting MS in Ep. So it’s a “space” themed area.
At the same time I could also answer NO because neither fit what EP was envisioned to be.
No matter what it brings a decent attraction to a park that has needed more.

doctornick

The queue/general premise of the ride is actually pretty decent for Epcot and World Discovery. The execution during the ride could have been better regarding the time traveling element and big bang.

I would have probably put a GotG ride in a new land in DHS if I had my way (along with other Marvel stuff that’s allowed) but wouldn’t have gone with this ride premise there.

mwhite93

I think they are pretty restricted with growing DHS. Not a ton of land to expand on. At Epcot they at least have some space (no pun intended) to potentially expand and add more marvel attractions.

CaptainAmerica

No, but also I never cared in the first place.

EPCOT Center died once and for all on January 9, 2007, the day the iPhone was announced. The wonders of technology and futurism that could be captured in a theme park environment were permanently outpaced once an affordable supercomputer was available to everyone in a device the size of a deck of cards.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I don't think Marvel should be entirely in one park so, yes, a HS Marvel pad would be nice but even if that existed would that preclude Marvel from EPCOT and AK? GOTG is pretty shoehorned where it is but it works well enough as a space corner of the park, and for any offended sensibilities anyone has about it, it's at least tucked into a corner of the park and not in the center.

doctornick

I think they are pretty restricted with growing DHS. Not a ton of land to expand on.

There’s definitely land to use. If they demolished Launch Bay (the old Animation building) including the backstage office space, that’s a sizable footprint for new stuff. There’s also space between Animation Courtyard and RNR that could be used and allow connecting those two areas. Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge has expansion space already allocated. Echo Lake has room that could be used, especially by replacing the IJ theater. I believe there is some designated expansion space around the BATB theater.

But there’s also significant parts of parking lots that can be used to enlarge the park boundaries - particularly around/behind Echo Lake and Galaxy’s Edge.

donaldtoo

Ah, so you've "given up on caring".

I care but it doesn't bother me. Which is kind of similar.

No. I care, that’s why I posted.
I just think TWDC these days is a convoluted mess. It just seems not to have the core vision that it had back in the day.
They all seem to be separate teams working against each other, instead of Walt’s way of all working together for a common goal.
Walt united his people to produce as close to perfection as humans could do, for the entertainment of his Guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom