Was GOTG placed in the right park?

Does GOTG: Cosmic Rewind fit in Epcot

• Yes

• No

• I never cared to begin with

• I've given up on caring

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jrb1979

I voted "I didn't care to begin with". I've been saying this a lot lately, but I go to WDW to be entertained and have fun. I don't go there to get all OCD about what should or shouldn't go where. It makes absolutely no difference. When you are experiencing any attraction you are part of that attraction, what park it is in never really enters into it. Especially EPCOT! It is the most eclectic park they have and always has been. It's original theme was edutainment but demand changed that to entertainment of vast diversity. It is what it is and it was made whatever it is by the organization that owns and operates it and the public demand identified by attendance.
If I want fun I go to Cedar Point. When I
want immersive theming and entertainment I go to Disney. With them adding things like this is to Epcot and shoehorning in IP everywhere they are going away from that immersive theming. At one time each park had its own theme and attractions that fight that theme. Now they are all blending together.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
YES you could make a case for it. It is by MS which is space related. They’ve set a precedent by putting MS in Ep. So it’s a “space” themed area.
Yea... Test Track truly screams "Space" to me. lol
No matter what it brings a decent attraction to a park that has needed more.
and @bmr1591

This is what I hate... The whole "well, it's a good ride, so why complain?" mentality. All of the 'new' fans think this way, and it really does hurt the quality involving the intricate details of the parks. It is a shame.

J4546

I think its in the right park, although I def see the case for it being in DHS. Problem with that is if you put it in DHS, where would it go? Even if you demolished the launch bay/animation courtyard building and all the building behind it there is barely enought room if at all in that entire expansion.....If they demoed all that stuff and cleared it out and only built 1 ride that would be a massive waste of space imo because the space is big enough for a massive land with multiple rides. Maybe you could have it in the southern quadrant, get rid of star tours and surrounding stuff and build it out into the parking lot that night have worked but I am still glad it came to Epcot because Epcot badly needed a major e ticket exciting attraction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nope. But it’s a corporate no brainier (more so for those who didn’t know or didn’t care what an Epcot was):

Replace an attraction that needed major investment
New and shiny
Desperately boost attendance and satisfaction
It’s spacey so surely it fits.

SpectreJordan

I feel like they would've been better off retheming Rock 'n' Roller Coaster to Guardians.
Nah, I'm happy with Cosmic existing & not being a retheme. Cosmic is sooooo much better than RnRRC.
I think they are pretty restricted with growing DHS. Not a ton of land to expand on. At Epcot they at least have some space (no pun intended) to potentially expand and add more marvel attractions.
I've seen people theorize that they could move the backstage area behind Animation Courtyard to RnRRC & use that to expand. I'm not sure how realistic that is, but it sounds nice lol

SplashJacket

Nope. But it’s a corporate no brainier (more so for those who didn’t know or didn’t care what an Epcot was):

Replace an attraction that needed major investment
New and shiny
Desperately boost attendance and satisfaction
It’s spacey so surely it fits.
Not a challenge, but do you think the original Big Bang proposal would’ve worked at Epcot?

SpectreJordan

I don't think Marvel should be entirely in one park so, yes, a HS Marvel pad would be nice but even if that existed would that preclude Marvel from EPCOT and AK? GOTG is pretty shoehorned where it is but it works well enough as a space corner of the park, and for any offended sensibilities anyone has about it, it's at least tucked into a corner of the park and not in the center.
One of the big things about the Marvel brand is that it's all of these separate franchises that exist in the same world. I feel theme park versions of that brand should replicate that.

Now Guardians is the easiest Marvel franchise to separate from the others, since it takes place in space vs Earth. But it would've been a really good anchor for a potential WDW Marvel land.

& I don't think Marvel belongs in either EPCOT or Animal Kingdom; maaaaybe Iron Man or Ant-Man in EPCOT, but only if it was really tech focused & they can't even do that anyway. I feel like Magic Kingdom would be pushing it too tbh. Hollywood Studios is the perfect place for Marvel. This is coming from a massive Marvel fan too (comics & movies), so I'm not all "Ewww, Marvel bad".

Goofyernmost

"Fun is cheap. I can have fun in an inflatable pool in my backyard. I can have fun playing basketball by the garage. I can have fun watching videos of snarky cats. This fun costs very little. An inflatable pool costs 50 bucks or less and can be used many times. A trip to a major entertainment venue like a Broadway play or Theme Park can cost many hundreds of dollars per visit, all in. So…are these places just plain fun? Are they hundreds or thousands of times more fun than shooting silly string at each other on the porch? Probably not. Therefore, fun cannot possibly be the motivating factor in the compulsive, repetitive, over-scale patronage of the theme park industry. The motive is simply not competitive enough based on other options. People must be paying this kind of money and making this kind of effort for a reward that is of higher value, more rare, and of greater impact than fun. That reward is many things, among which is the sensation of transport, of being moved magically into another place or another time. It is the intensity of experience which results in permanent memories. It is the rare sensation of cohesiveness, harmony, and thematic organization which allows the human brain to relax and be absorbed. I could go on. But all of these properties reside in the obsessive execution of coordinated detail, resulting in places with a strange otherworldly attraction. And that is not cheap. In fact, theme parks are repositories of human time, effort, and, yes, money…which guests sense through the level of detail, organization, and intensity. Theme parks are a form of communication between designers and audiences… They are relationships. People like worthy, meaningful, invested relationships… Not cheap ones."
- Joe Rohde
That was Joe Rohde's job.

I pay money to be entertained and when you consider how many hours of entertainment we get on a single day's visit, I just want to get my money's worth. Until the recent "flip them upside down and shake every cent out of them", operating philosophy, I got that feeling and that is why I went. I fully understood what the original reasoning was and it was great. But unless the entertainment factor stays consistent with what people want it is no longer important. EPCOT's mission changed with the times so unless we compare it to its original thought it is doing just fine with its changed mission. We have to change with it if for no other reason then we don't have control of it.

You will also notice that Joe Rohde is no longer there., Whether asked to leave or he left of his own desire. It is a definate indication that thing officially and forever changed. So our choice is to accept what it is or not spend the money there. It's simple really but constantly thinking that complaining about it will make any difference is probably a sure sign of insanity and I am having a hard enough time maintaining my sanity in todays world as it is, so I will let some things go just for my own health..

Tony the Tigger

Oh, look - a conversation about something that won’t change either way.

It fits in more than one park. Epcot is fine.

From a business perspective, one day ticket prices are very high. I’m sure some people are not hitting all 4 parks. If they go to Epcot, they’ll get Marvel, Frozen, Ratatouille, multinational cuisine, drinks, and an aquarium. Something for everyone in the family.

Goofyernmost

If I want fun I go to Cedar Point. When I
want immersive theming and entertainment I go to Disney. With them adding things like this is to Epcot and shoehorning in IP everywhere they are going away from that immersive theming. At one time each park had its own theme and attractions that fight that theme. Now they are all blending together.
Well, there you go. You made your choice, but if you go all out you will now have to no longer go to WDW. Perhaps you can find a place that has what you want in a sufficient quantity to live up to your expectations since you don't think that Disney lives up to it anymore. Those are your choices. To paraphrase Shakespeare 2 go or not 2 go... that is the question.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
One of the big things about the Marvel brand is that it's all of these separate franchises that exist in the same world. I feel theme park versions of that brand should replicate that.

Now Guardians is the easiest Marvel franchise to separate from the others, since it takes place in space vs Earth. But it would've been a really good anchor for a potential WDW Marvel land.

& I don't think Marvel belongs in either EPCOT or Animal Kingdom; maaaaybe Iron Man or Ant-Man in EPCOT, but only if it was really tech focused & they can't even do that anyway. I feel like Magic Kingdom would be pushing it too tbh. Hollywood Studios is the perfect place for Marvel. This is coming from a massive Marvel fan too (comics & movies), so I'm not all "Ewww, Marvel bad".
Agree that a Marvel land or campus or whatever wanting it to be, that'd be great for HS. However, I think we're well past EPCOT and tech and we need to move on. At this point a technology link to get to Iron Man or Ant-Man would be more forced and out of place than what they've done with Guardians.

JIMINYCR

and @bmr1591

This is what I hate... The whole "well, it's a good ride, so why complain?" mentality. All of the 'new' fans think this way, and it really does hurt the quality involving the intricate details of the parks. It is a shame.
You start out yourself saying it’s a good ride… then you flame me for saying the same thing!
Secondly I don’t see TT as being included. I said MS and GotG are connected as being space themed related.
I’ll remember not to answer in another one of your polls.

Vegas Disney Fan

I went back and forth between yes, no, and don’t care because as a space coaster it works, but the guardians IP doesn’t work.

I’ve always thought of that side of Epcot as the motion side so in that sense a space coaster fits well, even under the new world discovery name a space coaster works well, the Guardians tie in muddies the fit though. Guardians doesn’t fit but the ride itself, without the theme, fits well so I settled on yes.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

and @bmr1591

Don't expect an echo chamber. Epcot started as a plan by Walt. Walt passed and his plan was turned into something else loosely based on Edutainment and a permanent Worlds Fair with corporate and country sponsors. They were not able to keep up with the changes in technology, availability of transportation, and geopolitics. They've kept the doors open while trying to figure out where the demand is exactly for the current and future customers. Its turned out to be a mix of things.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
You start out yourself saying it’s a good ride… then you flame me for saying the same thing!
Secondly I don’t see TT as being included. I said MS and GotG are connected as being space themed related.
I’ll remember not to answer in another one of your polls.
I can understand how my response sounds hostile. But my point was that we shouldn't just say "at least it's a good ride" and leave it at that.
I have no complaints about the ride or experience itself. What I'm saying is, it literally IS the least Disney could do.

To the point where I disagree with trying to find a justification. That's how debates and conversations work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom