Warranty Sticklers?

The_Jobu

Original Poster
Hey all,

Anyone have and experience dealing with dealerships and warranty repairs? The engine on my car suddenly blew out and towed it to a dealership. Turns out there's this common issue with my model that the company agreed to cover related damages in a lawsuit. First we were quoted a huge number for an entire engine swap, but after much back and forth with head office, they never fully admitted it was known issue related, but they agreed to cover parts and we just pay labour, about 2k. We say fine go ahead, a week later dealership calls back and says they opened it up and the problem was somewhere else (though still related to the known issue) and its going to be an extra 2k. Dealership manager says he tried repeatedly to get head office to cover these costs but they refused. Then he adds on, there's an issue somewhere else that might become a problem and to fix it now would be another 2k. They wont let me talk to the corporate manager directly, but is there anything I could do? Should I keep arguing its all connected to the known issue? Should I get a lawyer? Should I argue that we bought the extended warranty that took us to 100k and now the car is around 102k so cant they give us coverage?

tl;dr engine breaks over likely known common problem, head office never admits that is what happened but says they will cover 2k on whats adding up to 6-8k repair. Also the car is barely over its extended warranty kilometers.

JoeCamel

Hey all,

Anyone have and experience dealing with dealerships and warranty repairs? The engine on my car suddenly blew out and towed it to a dealership. Turns out there's this common issue with my model that the company agreed to cover related damages in a lawsuit. First we were quoted a huge number for an entire engine swap, but after much back and forth with head office, they never fully admitted it was known issue related, but they agreed to cover parts and we just pay labour, about 2k. We say fine go ahead, a week later dealership calls back and says they opened it up and the problem was somewhere else (though still related to the known issue) and its going to be an extra 2k. Dealership manager says he tried repeatedly to get head office to cover these costs but they refused. Then he adds on, there's an issue somewhere else that might become a problem and to fix it now would be another 2k. They wont let me talk to the corporate manager directly, but is there anything I could do? Should I keep arguing its all connected to the known issue? Should I get a lawyer? Should I argue that we bought the extended warranty that took us to 100k and now the car is around 102k so cant they give us coverage?

tl;dr engine breaks over likely known common problem, head office never admits that is what happened but says they will cover 2k on whats adding up to 6-8k repair. Also the car is barely over its extended warranty kilometers.
Sorry I just saw this. I have dealership experience but the brand, model and year would make all the difference and if you have a link to the class action settlement you referenced I might be able to help.
You have probably settled this by now but if you do have questions I will help as I can.

The_Jobu

Original Poster
Sorry I just saw this. I have dealership experience but the brand, model and year would make all the difference and if you have a link to the class action settlement you referenced I might be able to help.
You have probably settled this by now but if you do have questions I will help as I can.

Yeah, nothing much I could do but just pay up to get my car back, they had me stuck. Though I kept all my receipts in case I pursue legal action in the future. It's a 2016 Subaru Forrester. Which is ironic because I tried to do some research and Subaru was always rated high in reliability. Figures I get catastrophic engine failure. Head office said they'd give me a small block but everything else was on me. Came out to 4.5k. I tried arguing that if they're giving me a small block because it's a common problem, shouldn't they cover everything? There was another "problem" the dealership warned me about, said coolant leaked onto the exhaust system or something and we should replace it. Brought it to my mechanic instead, said it looked fine, and it's been fine ever since. Though my parents have 2 Subarus (that I encouraged them to buy... feeling guilty now) that I'm worried about.

This was the class action settlement. But it's for America and I'm in Canada. There's an ongoing class action suit in Canada though, so I might look in to that.

Did you used to work for a dealership?

JoeCamel

Yeah, nothing much I could do but just pay up to get my car back, they had me stuck. Though I kept all my receipts in case I pursue legal action in the future. It's a 2016 Subaru Forrester. Which is ironic because I tried to do some research and Subaru was always rated high in reliability. Figures I get catastrophic engine failure. Head office said they'd give me a small block but everything else was on me. Came out to 4.5k. I tried arguing that if they're giving me a small block because it's a common problem, shouldn't they cover everything? There was another "problem" the dealership warned me about, said coolant leaked onto the exhaust system or something and we should replace it. Brought it to my mechanic instead, said it looked fine, and it's been fine ever since. Though my parents have 2 Subarus (that I encouraged them to buy... feeling guilty now) that I'm worried about.

This was the class action settlement. But it's for America and I'm in Canada. There's an ongoing class action suit in Canada though, so I might look in to that.

Did you used to work for a dealership?
Yes, I was a Subaru master at one time. Now that you bring Canada into it I understand what happened and why. Most of the cars are great, you did get the one you should have paid for the extended warranty. I never say to get the extra warranty, the odds are not in your favor.

Subaru is one of the toughest companies to cover warranty, the dealer I was at was Hyundai too and the difference on warranty claims was night and day.
Sorry to hear this happened to you, I think you did the best you could. Glad to hear you have an independent shop, dealers cut pay so much there are very few "good" techs there any longer.

I don't know Canadian coverages for insurance but here some types of coverage will pay for this type of repair. If you have full coverage it may be an option to submit a claim.

If you ran out of oil I am sure you are checking the level on a regular basis now, at least I hope you are.

The_Jobu

Original Poster
Yes, I was a Subaru master at one time. Now that you bring Canada into it I understand what happened and why. Most of the cars are great, you did get the one you should have paid for the extended warranty. I never say to get the extra warranty, the odds are not in your favor.

Subaru is one of the toughest companies to cover warranty, the dealer I was at was Hyundai too and the difference on warranty claims was night and day.
Sorry to hear this happened to you, I think you did the best you could. Glad to hear you have an independent shop, dealers cut pay so much there are very few "good" techs there any longer.

I don't know Canadian coverages for insurance but here some types of coverage will pay for this type of repair. If you have full coverage it may be an option to submit a claim.

If you ran out of oil I am sure you are checking the level on a regular basis now, at least I hope you are.

Interesting that there could be such a difference in cultures in car companies. And yes, I'm always sure to check oil and maintain regular service, even before. I check on my parent's cars as well. Actually, the only reason we got the small block was because I was able to show evidence of our regular maintenance and oil changes.

JoeCamel

Interesting that there could be such a difference in cultures in car companies. And yes, I'm always sure to check oil and maintain regular service, even before. I check on my parent's cars as well. Actually, the only reason we got the small block was because I was able to show evidence of our regular maintenance and oil changes.
FWIW Hyundai in Canada has a 3/36,000 bumper to bumper (or did it's been a while) while Hyundai America had 5/60000 B2B and 10/100000 powertrain coverage at the same time. Most coverage in Canada is less than here.

The_Jobu

Original Poster
FWIW Hyundai in Canada has a 3/36,000 bumper to bumper (or did it's been a while) while Hyundai America had 5/60000 B2B and 10/100000 powertrain coverage at the same time. Most coverage in Canada is less than here.

Hmmm, that's interesting. Wonder why that is? That's a pretty huge difference. Maybe I should just buy my next car in the US, heh.

JoeCamel

Hmmm, that's interesting. Wonder why that is? That's a pretty huge difference. Maybe I should just buy my next car in the US, heh.
If you bought it here it would have US coverage. I would get snowbirds wanting US coverage all winter for Canadian sold vehicles.

The_Jobu

Original Poster
If you bought it here it would have US coverage. I would get snowbirds wanting US coverage all winter for Canadian sold vehicles.

I can see why, ha. I mean, I'd get hit pretty hard on the dollar exchange, but it might be worth it for almost triple the warranty coverage.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Subaru is generally reliable, but their turbocharged engines are infamous for head gasket issues, and once they changed their automatic transmissions to CVTs, they started to develop issues. Beyond that, they are insanely stingy when it comes to warranty work - they will question every single detail before paying out a cent to the dealer.

While in full warranty, with a full dealer service history, and zero modifications, I had to fight twice to get twice to get the alternator and transmission replaced on my WRX. Thank god my wife's an attorney and was willing to send them a nastygram on her letterhead, but having to get to that point to get them to cover their contractual obligations was ridiculous.

Once the transmission was replaced, I traded the car in immediately for a Mazda before that transmission replacement hit the carfax.

The_Jobu

Original Poster
Once the transmission was replaced, I traded the car in immediately for a Mazda before that transmission replacement hit the carfax.

Ha! Good to know.

Apparently the oil consumption fault was a big issue for 14-16 Forresters, but they did a good job of keeping a lid on it.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Ha! Good to know.

Apparently the oil consumption fault was a big issue for 14-16 Forresters, but they did a good job of keeping a lid on it.
I was doing oil consumption studies in 2000 on this brand for warranty. With the cylinder arrangement it is tough to keep the oil in the engine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom