Want to see Song of the South?????

jmarc63

Thanks for the info jerm, I have been trying to find this film to add to my Disney collection for years as well as the Kurt Russell films from the 60s

jmarc63

yeah, thats what I had been told, I seem to remember somewhere that it is available in the UK on the PAL format. But what I dont understand it Gone With the wind has some of the racial overtones that Song of the South has and you see that everyyear on Turner stations.

On another note, when it was made in the 40s that was how society was in thoes days, and some of the early Disney cartoons hade some of the same racial overtones as well. I just dont get it. If it was made now I would totaly understand the reasons but it was made over 55 years ago. I consider this Censorship weather Disney made the decision volintary or was forced into it by public outcry.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by thedisneyfan
Song of the South will never be released on video due to its racial overtones.

Song of the South HAS been available on vhs in the UK, it was a good few years ago though - (probably 10 yrs)

Jekyll

As a child I saw it the last time it was out and I remember nothing about it but the animated segments. Could anyone tell me what (besides the slave ownership) would prevent it release again?

-J

bearboysnc

Originally posted by thedisneyfan
Song of the South will never be released on video due to its racial overtones.

SotS will never be released in AMERICA because of the racial overtones. The rest of the world can look past the racial content and see a wonderful movie.

ToTBellHop

A lot of people don't like the idea of a happy, singing slave...to put it simply, people are stupid. This is a part of American history and it's hard to see people being any more ignorant than trying to censor our own history...kinda like Pirates of the Caribbean--"You can't portray pirates the way pirates really acted!". Soon, they won't be able to teach slavery in history classes...it's very much like 1984, trying to censor the past..

millercv

I've got the Japanese laserdisk (you can watch it in english there are just japanese subtitles during the songs).

The animated scenes are great but some of the live action just doesn't hold up too well (particularly w/ the parents).

Honestly if they didn't make a big deal about it I think it would be in the same boat as "So Dear To My Heart"

I think we will see it someday in the US but in a heavily edited form or with a long explanation at the beginning.

dalton30720

I bought a PAL version on ebay last year and converted it to VHS. It's an excellent movie. Too bad it will never be officially released here.

Chropistopy

Has anyone ordered the movie from the above website? What was the quality? I get concerned ordering things from a website I'm not familiar with. Thanks!!

westie

I picked up a UK version off of ebay. We enjoy it as a family were pretty liberal. Now our collection is near complete.

cruiseman

I love Brer Rabbit he is one of my favorite characters. I have watches, toys books and got my movie on e bay. There out there and not to expensive

Jerm

Original Poster
Originally posted by bearboysnc

SotS will never be released in AMERICA because of the racial overtones. The rest of the world can look past the racial content and see a wonderful movie.

Song of the South was set to be reraleased a few years ago in the theater with a into from James Earl Jones that would also have the short John Henry (put on Legends this year) but everyone threw a fit. I think you should never say never, Black Cauldron was never to be released either.........But I have seen it and I think everyone who throws a fit about it has never seen it. Heck the hero is Uncle Remus and the bad guy is the father of the two kids.... Screw PC!!!!! So far being PC has changed a hand full of my fav Disney movies and messed up PotC!!!!! :zipit:

J

jmarc63

Originally posted by Jekyll
As a child I saw it the last time it was out and I remember nothing about it but the animated segments. Could anyone tell me what (besides the slave ownership) would prevent it release again?

-J

I last saw it In the 70s I dont remember if I saw it in the theater or at WDW when they had a small theater in the fiesta fun center in the Contempoary. They used to show many disney shorts and features in that theater.

To answer your question jekyll It could be the phrase that is considered a negative conitation like the "N" word. The phrase Is "Tar Baby" which is what at least I think is some of the things that they are in an uproar about.

kaos

There is a PAL DVD version that was released in Europe about 2 years ago. It exists!!! I have seen it... (lucky devil who has it would NEVER let me borrow it...):brick:

Big Pooh

It amazes me that Disney won't release the movie and yet they built a ride based on the movie. I might add that Splash Mtn. is one the best attractions Disney has ever come up with.:brick: :brick:

Cheers:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom