Wand finally coming down?

Iakona

I was checking Re-Imagineering, the blog created by Disney fans at Pixar, and I just noticed this post: http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/2007/02/cannonballing-down-through-sky.html

Now, I normally would ignore this information coming from just about anyone else, but these folks are not just "anyone."

I think this is very intriguing considering who the contributors to that blog are. It would be interesting to see if Lee or Corrus could drop us some hints.

I think this is just someones opinion, although it is creatively and hilariously portrayed :lol:.

True, someone's opinion, but the people on that blog have some very good connections.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I wouldnt read much into that.

The fact is, the wand gives Epcot much needed identity to being a Disney park. It's hard to understand for fans, but lots of people did not know that Epcot was a Disney park, or even part of WDW. The wand makes a very big statement underlining Epcot is infact a Disney park.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

The fact is, the wand gives Epcot much needed identity to being a Disney park. It's hard to understand for fans, but lots of people did not know that Epcot was a Disney park, or even part of WDW. The wand makes a very big statement underlining Epcot is infact a Disney park.

Good point and I'm not just saying that cuz you're the all powerful wdwmagic guy. I was talking to my mother in law about that on our recent trip and I pointed out that the geosphere was a beautiful austere architectural statement. She said, "Way too austere. I didn't even know what this place was supposed to be when it first opened. Now, I at least I identify it as a Disney park." That's an exact quote and it changed my thinking on the topic a bit.

donaldfan

Disagree - if you have branding problems this is not the solution. I don't think they necessarily have a brand issue either since this is the most attended "non-MK theme" park.

Xadllas

Once again Take it down we dont need a sign telling people your at Epcot, you already have a more appropriate one at the entrance to the parking lot.

CheriBibi

And as for marking it disney, Renaming it Disney's Epcot wouldn't trouble too many people, the name's already been changed a few times...

Nobody calls Animal Kingdom "Disney's Animal Kingdom" but whenever it's mentioned they got the word Disney attached to it and that works fine as marking it.

But now that I see the purpose (excuse) of the wand still being up there... i'm still pretty convinced getting it down is costy and would force an even more costy major repainting of the whole sphere... So untill they have the budget or or valuable marketing purpose in loosing it... we're stuck with it.

mkepcotmgmak

Once again Take it down we dont need a sign telling people your at Epcot, you already have a more appropriate one at the entrance to the parking lot.

Think of it as more of Disney personality than just a sign - I don't care if it's there or not - but it does add some "Disney personality" to the geosphere - Steve made a great point about it early in this post...

Omnispace

Sorry, I don't want my parks labeled Magic Kingdom #1, #2, #3 & #4. It's important that they each have their own identity -- variety is what creates interest. What defines a Disney park is the attention to theming and quality attractions. One doesn't need to have a part of Mickey's anatomy present.

As for the wand structure, all they have to do is get a big crane out there -- it could easily be dismantled in a couple of days. They recently did this with all the extra 50th Anniversary stuff on Cinderella's Castle and they can do it here. No need to repaint Spaceship Earth since it's already covered with low-maintenance aluminum panels.

It doesn't really matter to me what they decide to do, I like SSE with or without the wand. I think the wand is a good idea though, at least first time tourists won't be referring to Epcot as "the Giant Golf Ball park" or something like that. But, I doubt it'll be coming down anytime soon.

Thurp

Original Poster
That is the most awesome picture of all time! Oh, the joy that that image brings to an EPCOT fans heart.

Not sure if you've noticed it, but you can click on it and get a full sized copy of the picture which looks awesome as a desktop picture.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom