Walt finally gets oswald back!

Number_6

The thing about this is, Al Michaels shouldn't feel bad about this at all. He'll get a good contract from NBC for his new Sunday Night Football gig, plus he'll likely be sent by NBC to cover the Olympics during NBCs run of airing the games(not this year, probably, but starting with the Beijing games in 2008) which will get him more cash. Plus, what Disney got in return for allowing him to sign with NBC was worth more than one broadcaster, even someone as great as Al Michaels. Remember, Ryder Cup broadcast rights(which would have to be taken as an overall PGA Tour package) alone were going to cost more than ABC or ESPN were willing to spend trying to outbid NBC and CBS. As a result of this deal, they get the Friday live broadcast of the Ryder Cup tournament along with being able to re-air whatever NBC shows later, they get expanded highlights of alot of major events, which for a sports network like ESPN, if they can air more coverage outside of NBCs for certain events, like the Olympics, then it's all the better for your shows like SportsCenter. Add to that the fact that they get to air promos for ESPN on NBC during Sunday Night's game(which would be like the Boston Herald advertising in the Boston Globe) which is pretty darn good. Oswald is the icing on the cake for Disney, but it's not like Universal was really going to do anything with him. If they had, they would have needed to say that he was a Walt Disney creation, which they were in no way going to do.

jrriddle

Great news!
Now I hope that Iger can do something about getting that other Disney rabbit with copyright issues back in the spotlight.
I like Roger OK?

Figment571

Most likely Oswald will be introdued by Mickey Mouse himself in some sort of publicity thing. Or he may just pop up here and there in the parks and so forth.

Vernonpush

dandaman said:
If it weren't for this particular cartoon (and lack thereof... thank you, 1927 Universal :rolleyes: ), the Walt Disney Company would most likely have never gotten off the ground. We all know "it was all started by a mouse", but what exactly spawned the mouse in the first place? Walt was thinking him up after the loss of Oswald, on the Santa Fe back to California. I'd like to think it was pretty much started by a rabbit.

...But the mouse is better. :lookaroun
I agree, It was started by the Mouse. There would be no Disneyland or WDW if Walt didn't learn about copyright laws with Oswald. Walt learned, that it's all about who owns the property. Why would he start again with a character that looked like that rabbit, but different enough, and then proceed to make him a star? He had learned his lesson. Pixar learned his lesson. Who owns it and who can make or break you (thank you Joan Crawford).

mrtoad

From what I heard on ESPN radio the other day actually was that Michaels wanted to make the move over to NBC. So it actually worked out for all parties involved.

I am glad a long lost Disney character is back in the fold but glad that he also was taken away in the first place as what we have now, might never have been otherwise.

Everything happens for a reason I guess.

Number_6 said:
The thing about this is, Al Michaels shouldn't feel bad about this at all. He'll get a good contract from NBC for his new Sunday Night Football gig, plus he'll likely be sent by NBC to cover the Olympics during NBCs run of airing the games(not this year, probably, but starting with the Beijing games in 2008) which will get him more cash. Plus, what Disney got in return for allowing him to sign with NBC was worth more than one broadcaster, even someone as great as Al Michaels. Remember, Ryder Cup broadcast rights(which would have to be taken as an overall PGA Tour package) alone were going to cost more than ABC or ESPN were willing to spend trying to outbid NBC and CBS. As a result of this deal, they get the Friday live broadcast of the Ryder Cup tournament along with being able to re-air whatever NBC shows later, they get expanded highlights of alot of major events, which for a sports network like ESPN, if they can air more coverage outside of NBCs for certain events, like the Olympics, then it's all the better for your shows like SportsCenter. Add to that the fact that they get to air promos for ESPN on NBC during Sunday Night's game(which would be like the Boston Herald advertising in the Boston Globe) which is pretty darn good. Oswald is the icing on the cake for Disney, but it's not like Universal was really going to do anything with him. If they had, they would have needed to say that he was a Walt Disney creation, which they were in no way going to do.

steviej

well since the movie people did the ultimate horror fighting movie with freddy vs. jason, maybe disney could give us the ultimate cartoon fighting movie, oswald vs. mickey. jk, welcome home oswald :wave: I'm sure mickey has open arms right now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom