News Walt Disney World's iconic Twilight Zone Tower of Terror billboard to be permanently removed

JoeCamel

There used to be a few "Attraction" billboards on Disney. I remember the bugs life, that had smoke coming out of it. There was this one (TOT) and I think if I recall Epcot had one that was illuminations with a glittering mirror 3d effect.

Sadly, another touch removed by out of town and out of touch money men.
I always thought of these as "Look what the best theme park company in the world would do if they made billboards" statements. Not boring and flat but 3D and animated.
In the outdoor advertising world the wavers, smokers and flashers command premium pricing along the roadsides with long term contracts. Cash cows out in the field they are called.

crxbrett

There used to be a few "Attraction" billboards on Disney. I remember the bugs life, that had smoke coming out of it. There was this one (TOT) and I think if I recall Epcot had one that was illuminations with a glittering mirror 3d effect.

Sadly, another touch removed by out of town and out of touch money men.

I am sad to read that they are removing this! There also was a Mission: SPACE one too where the thrusters from the rockets of the ship were illuminated at night. I just loved those little things that Disney did. I also miss all of the Universal ones that used to be dotted along the highway near there (think it was I-4) from like 1990-1995.

Here was the MS one...

Attachments

• DSC_0222.JPG
    DSC_0222.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 148

Vinnie Mac

This forum isn't even fun anymore (nothing against you wdwmagic!). The overwhelming majority of news coming out of Disney just has this nasty, negative taste to it, since around the time Chappy took the position of chairman.
I agree. Although sometimes I do actually agree with the sentiment of these forums, a lot of other times I just feel like it's ridiculously negative. The response to this is actually a lot tamer than I thought it would be. As soon as I saw the article title my immediate thought was "oh lord these forums are about to be on fire". Pleasantly surprised though.

Skywise

This isn't a big loss per se (compared to others) but it's just another removal of a small bit of charm that Disney World had that doesn't have anymore.

I was always surprised as I passed it that they would be advertising such an OLD ride like that and I think it speaks to the lack of innovation on the part of the parks over the last decade or so. But to get rid of it without a replacement just... diminishes the fun. (Remember fun?)

The ResortTV channel still hurts a little more.

brb1006

They turned it off shortly after this video and it never ran again as far as I know.

I'm not all that surprised - it seems like this was only ever intended to be there for a few years. I was shocked it was still there in the 00's.

Also, they haven't taken proper care of the ride itself in over a decade, why should we expect them to maintain the billboard for it?
Any videos of the billboard with the screams on?

yensidtlaw1969

Thats BS and you know it. The outrage is literally every single thing. Usually even before it happens. There are plenty of things to be PO'd about. That doesn't mean every single thing that happens requires outrage and/or being upset.
Seems like you misread his post - his literal point is that there are already a lot of people who were ed at Disney before this move.

Where your opinions divide, it seems, is that he sees that preexisting outrage as something that’s been justified, a symptom of the way the parks have been run in recent years, and you seem to see it as some sort of sign of the times where people just choose to be outraged habitually and things get swept into that vortex. Am I close?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom