News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's not really stunning or surprising. I'm fairly sure most here believed it would take a long while before folks felt comfortable, or were even allowed to travel to and from the US/Orlando.
I’m not “surprised”...at all...but I still “had to see it”

There is no way Disney plays this game for long with no out of town travelers.

I still believe their instincts was to bag the year...and short of that to move into September at the earliest.

I doubt Disney in many things...but not their instincts reading travel and demand.

Jrb1979

I’m not “surprised”...at all...but I still “had to see it”

There is no way Disney plays this game for long with no out of town travelers.

I still believe their instincts was to bag the year...and short of that to move into September at the earliest.

I doubt Disney in many things...but not their instincts reading travel and demand.
I am starting to believe they weren't planning on opening this early or at least not everything. Universal forced their hand. Either Lex Luthor (Bob Chapek) was wrong. The demand isn't there. This is going to hurt their future plans even more. Don't expect much for the 50th

Jrb1979

The Magic Kingdom felt the same way on Saturday, I was kind of surprised by the number of people in the park.
Weekends seem busier and it's most likely from AP holders. Those are the ones most going to the parks. The problem is that they don't spend the same amount of money as a resort guest does.

Q_Division

I get there's very little demand in the resorts, but Hollywood Studios felt nearly like a normal day yesterday.

The Magic Kingdom felt the same way on Saturday, I was kind of surprised by the number of people in the park.

Whilst numbers were likely to increase as someone that can't currently get in the country to go, it's beginning to feel like it may not be worth it and that is disappointing. It's expensive to come and I could accept changes if it was quieter and with shorter queues but my "spot checks" over the weekend via the app seemed to suggest it was busier and there were some serious queues in places (which I get is partially down to lower capacity on the attractions).

tirian

I am starting to believe they weren't planning on opening this early or at least not everything. Universal forced their hand. Either Lex Luthor (Bob Chapek) was wrong. The demand isn't there. This is going to hurt their future plans even more. Don't expect much for the 50th
I’m concerned for my friends who still work for the company. At this point, it’s costing Disney more to stay open than to stay closed. There’s a sense of dread that mid-level layoffs will ripple throughout P&R and WDI again, after just happening a year or so ago.

Magic Feather

I’m concerned for my friends who still work for the company. At this point, it’s costing Disney more to stay open than to stay closed. There’s a sense of dread that mid-level layoffs will ripple throughout P&R and WDI again, after just happening a year or so ago.
The College Program existing and being an easy cut is the reason that WDW hasn't already had the same levels of layoffs and people remaining furloughed (not that there aren't still some) as UOR.

That said, I would still expect to see some firings and layoffs, especially in middle management where there is a little bloat.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The College Program existing and being an easy cut is the reason that WDW hasn't already had the same levels of layoffs and people remaining furloughed (not that there aren't still some) as UOR.

That said, I would still expect to see some firings and layoffs, especially in middle management where there is a little bloat.
You know as well as anyone that indefinite, longterm cancellations of the CP and IP means they expect this to go on for along time.

It’s free labor at a minimum...generates money a lot of the time.

peter11435

But thats wrong...

It’s a 25% capacity cap and the vloggers - the honest ones - are admitting the lines are slow due to capacity limitations, not crowds
Yeah the parks are dead. But it’s not entirely lack of demand it’s also the incredibly low attendance caps they have set. Even if they could feel more resort rooms (which they can’t) there would be no room in the parks to put those guests now. Although at present they are often struggling to fill the park capacity they have. It’s going to be rough.

YodaMan

But thats wrong...

It’s a 25% capacity cap and the vloggers - the honest ones - are admitting the lines are slow due to capacity limitations, not crowds

Yesterday was about twice as busy as any normal day. I still haven’t gotten confirmation but I do believe capacity was increased for Studios.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah the parks are dead. But it’s not entirely lack of demand it’s also the incredibly low attendance caps they have set. Even if they could feel more resort rooms (which they can’t) there would be no room in the parks to put those guests now. Although at present they are often struggling to fill the park capacity they have. It’s going to be rough.
Oh I agree...

Just to give an idea of how this thing is still spreading (I’m not commenting on the dangers or unknowns)

The National Security Advisor - one of the highest clearance intelligence officers in the world - contracted covid from his daughter at home.

We need a re-evaluation and a “program”...thats plain as day.
Disney too...everyone.

Off the soapbox 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom