News Walt Disney World's COVID-19 reopening plans announced - July 11

aladdin2007

What they are trying to tell you is that you can't just go resort hopping during the initial periods after they open. The only people they want in a resort, are those who are staying at the resort. When they do re-open dining reservations that will be the only other way you'll be able to visit a resort.

which is the way it had been really for the most part.

TTA94

I don't expect it will last all that much longer. They took down the checkpoint in the panhandle and lifted the restriction (governor removed Louisiana from the Exec Order) for Louisiana just a day or so ago. So I believe the only checkpoint left is the one on I95 along with the restriction for the 3 NE states. It feels like it's going to slowly fade away in the coming weeks

So no check point coming in from I75?

donsullivan

Premium Member
which is the way it had been really for the most part.
You never had to have a resort reservation to just hop a bus or walk to any one of the other resorts just to visit it or maybe have a quick-service meal. I've been known to head over the Contemporary to grab dinner at Contempo Cafe on a particularly crazy day at the Magic Kingdom. At least initially as they re-open, that will not be an option for me. I'm sure things will settle down over time but it will be a very, very different place than everyone is used to for a while. And relentlessly complaining about that will change nothing. The best approach is to just watch for how things are right now and adapt to that, and be prepared for some things to be different tomorrow and just adapt to that.

3BratsToDisney

Interesting... we will have a lot to think about if we decide to reschedule. Our trip was planned for July 5-10. Now I wonder if they can’t guarantee a park entrance for a resort guest...what happens then if you had purchased let’s say a 10 day ticket and only 6 of those days you get a park reservation, do they refund you the missed out days or extend the expiration (at least a full year IMO) on unused portions?

aladdin2007

You never had to have a resort reservation to just hop a bus or walk to any one of the other resorts just to visit it or maybe have a quick-service meal. I've been known to head over the Contemporary to grab dinner at Contempo Cafe on a particularly crazy day at the Magic Kingdom. At least initially as they re-open, that will not be an option for me. I'm sure things will settle down over time but it will be a very, very different place than everyone is used to for a while. And relentlessly complaining about that will change nothing. The best approach is to just watch for how things are right now and adapt to that, and be prepared for some things to be different tomorrow and just adapt to that.

we always did the same as well and or we dined with a reservation at GF or Poly, sometimes the lodge without even bothering with a park. That will just be out for the rest of the year at least probably.

the_rich

I do not believe Disney ever said resort guests would have priority for park reservations. Please show me where Disney said that.

In addition, we will also be introducing a new Theme Park reservation system. You will receive access to the Theme Park reservation system before new tickets are sold to other Guests.

Thats what the email from disney destinations said. I was assuming it was sent to resort guests. But it could be it meant ticket holders in general.

Gatomiller

From the WDW site, which I do take it to mean that those with resort reservations will get priority to make a park reservation:

• Park Reservations: Initially, park attendance will be managed through a new park reservation system. To enter a park, both a park reservation and valid admission for the same park on the same date is required.
  • New Ticket Sales: At this time, new ticket sales are temporarily paused. Existing ticket holders and Annual Passholders will be able to make reservation requests in phases before new tickets are sold. Additional details will be shared with these Guests soon. New ticket sales will resume after that period of time.

donsullivan

Premium Member
From the WDW site, which I do take it to mean that those with resort reservations will get priority to make a park reservation:

• Park Reservations: Initially, park attendance will be managed through a new park reservation system. To enter a park, both a park reservation and valid admission for the same park on the same date is required.
  • New Ticket Sales: At this time, new ticket sales are temporarily paused. Existing ticket holders and Annual Passholders will be able to make reservation requests in phases before new tickets are sold. Additional details will be shared with these Guests soon. New ticket sales will resume after that period of time.
I don't see anything in that language that suggests any guarantee or priority above other potential guests for park admission reservations. The ONLY thing I have heard is that the reservation system is expected to open for those who already have tickets (which includes Passholders) to give those people access for some initial reservations with limits on the number of advance reservation days you can have. Then they would start selling tickets again, at which time those newly purchasing tickets would have access to make theme park admission reservations as available. If you have a room reservation but have not yet purchased tickets, you'll have to wait to make a park reservation until they start selling tickets again because you have to have valid admission assigned to your profile to create the park admission reservation. That is the ONLY so-called priority that I've ever seen Disney reference- it is only for those who have already purchased admission and has nothing to do with a resort reservation.

Resort guests with park tickets will have priority access to the new reservation system.
A vitally important distinction. A room reservation has nothing to do with getting access to the theme park reservation, that is strictly governed by having purchased admission tickets valid for the desired day. If you purchased them together that is incidental to the fact that a room reservation alone does not give you priority for theme park admission reservatinos.

EdnaMode

About 20 minutes ago, I received the email from Disney asking "Guests with a reservation at a Walt Disney World hotel between June 22, 2020 and July 4, 2020" to confirm, modify, or cancel their reservations by June 12th."

I clicked on "I'd like to modify." When I chose that, it directed me to call Disney, which I did. (I've been waiting to speak to anyone about this reservation until Disney reached out to us about it.)

When I spoke with the cast member he said that our Passholder discount precluded us booking into any other type of rate. I couldn't cancel and reschedule at even rack rate because there can be no new bookings at all, including rate type changes. He said, however, our rate was a bit of a moot point. He checked every resort on every arrival date in July (for 7 days) and there was absolutely no availability at the DVC villas associated to the resort we'd reserved (which was GF) or to any of the other DVC properties at all during the entire month of July. He said that out of about 50 calls this afternoon, he'd actually been able to modify reservations for only 2 or 3 guests.

I don't plan to call Disney several times a day and recheck to see if anyone has cancelled a reservation that we can pick up...,but that was his (only) suggestion for grabbing a different room in July. I didn't want to bother him with any questions about access to the parks for hotel guests or pass holders, so I didn't ask about that.

I realize it's one data point, but I thought I'd share my experience.

awelpjourneys

I do not believe Disney ever said resort guests would have priority for park reservations. Please show me where Disney said that.
This came from an email I received regarding my August reservation:
”However, because you have valid Theme Park admission, you will have access to the Theme Park reservation system before new tickets are sold to other Guests. There’s nothing you need to do at this time. We’ll be contacting you soon with details on this new system”

The implied message seemed to be priority for park reservations. But looking at the actual words, there's a lot of wiggle room.

donsullivan

Premium Member
This came from an email I received regarding my August reservation:
”However, because you have valid Theme Park admission, you will have access to the Theme Park reservation system before new tickets are sold to other Guests. There’s nothing you need to do at this time. We’ll be contacting you soon with details on this new system”

At face value, the implied message was priority for park reservations. But looking at the actual words, there's a lot of wiggle room.
This is the part where many are getting wrapped around with all the moving parts. It has absolutely nothing to do with a resort reservation

awelpjourneys

Are people with just tickets getting that email? If so then you are correct and its anyone with a ticket.
Interesting question. I can only speak for my own situation, but we have a package with resort reservation, park hopper tickets, and the (now defunct) dining plan, booked as a bounceback from August 2019.

donsullivan

Premium Member
As a Passholder, I received an email that linked me to this:

The key section to this topic is:

We understand how much excitement, thought and time goes into planning your Disney visits and realize some new changes may be disappointing. For example, during this unprecedented time, an annual pass will not guarantee park entry and Annual Passholders will be required to make an advance reservation to enter a park.

Please note that:
  • During the limited capacity period, it may be difficult for Annual Passholders to get park reservations to visit on certain dates. To help manage capacity, total reservation days held at one time will be limited. More details will be shared in the coming weeks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom