Walt Disney World Withdrawl ..... ?

sittle

Original Poster
Hey guys!!! First time poster right here!! I've made three trips to WDW, (98, 00, and just 2 weeks ago Jan 05) and my question is this. Does anyone on here suffer from WDW Withdrawl??

I find my symptoms last for about one month, and the first two weeks are the worst! The first week back at work, is unproductive at best. I find I spend way too much time listening to MouseWorldRadio, (and getting choked up when I hear the ride music I love), and spend way too much time on sites like this one (cause it frickin' rawks), Doombuggies, and looking for other Disney World related websites (I just found some sweet ones for The Adventurer's Club) and reading up on all sorts of Disney World related articles. I also get all misty when I put on my shoes that I wore to Disney World for the first time, or find a box of mints that I bought at Disney World, or even a receipt from one of the restaurants.

When the symptoms subside after a month or so, I'm okay, but when it comes around to the anniversary of the last visit, I get the symptoms again, usually I will call and order the vacation planning video! And I have a constant need to watch the Classic Animated pieces, like Snow White, Peter Pan, and the Walt Disney Treasures collections.

My wife loves Disney World and she has been close to 17 times, but she doesn't and hasn't ever gotten it this bad. And she getting sick of me starting conversations with her by saying "Did you know.. (insert some random bit of WDW related trivia here)"...

Does anyone else have the same problem?? How do you deal with Walt Disney World Withdrawl Syndrome (WDWWS aka Walt's Happiness?)??

Thanks!

tigsmom

Believe me when I say You are not alone. We all go thru that to some extent. Thats why we're here... to get out daily fix. :lol:

Welcome aboard. :wave:

coasterphil

It was horrible after my first trip in 2000, I needed to get back as soon as I possibly could and ended up earning enough money to take another trip late that year. Since then though I've been so caught up in coasters that I haven't missed Disney as much, that was until I got the new DVD. I can't wait for my trip in April.

Laura

Premium Member
I was there about the same time as you (end of January, beginning of February) and I'm having a horrible time getting back to normal life!

sittle

Original Poster
Allright, but how do all of you guys deal with it, do you just ride it out, or do you have things that distract your mind of it, or do you relish in it??

Here is something else that I will tell you, something I do when I have "Walt's Happiness" and it's a deep dark secret. I actually watch "The Golden Girls" ... just to see the House set that used to exist at MGM Disney Studios on the Backlot Tour, that was used as the establishing shot for the show... there are even a couple of times I swear I could see the Earful Tower through the trees on the left side of the house. I will watch that show everytime it is on right now.... and I'm like 25!! A man in the prime of his life, watching Golden Girls... does anyone have it that bad??

I'd like to hear from General Grizz on this one, he's always wise in these situations..

coasterphil

I basically read guidebooks and watched the old planning video until I drove myself completely insane. I would try to find something you really enjoy to fill your spare time with so you don't start think about Disney.

Laura

Premium Member
LOL, I distract myself by planning more disney vacations for the future. I just finished doing that and I was still not back to normal so now I'm looking into getting an equity loan to make improvements to my house and buy furniture. That's helping me get my mind off Disney.

Doesn't help though that my 3 year old is sitting here with me watching his favorite video (the Disney vacation planning video LOL)

sittle

Original Poster
diesel said:
ok. so now i can stop seeing the shrink?????????????? This is abynormal????

I don't know, it never bothers my wife, or her family, even her sister in law who's been twice...

For real, 25 year old male, watching Golden Girls... Bea Arthur, Estelle Getty.. just to see establishing shots of house.. I think that's a touch to the abnormal pole...

What's your disney vice diesel??

diesel

There is a "vice" of some sort of Disney in every room of this house. Some things that most everyone has at least one of and a few other things that are true one of a kind. I always look for the things that no one else has. But mostly it's in the memories and the photos of my kids as they have grown up "somewhat" In Disney world. I only had the chance twice when i was a boy growing up to visit. Now that i have the ways and means to visit at least one a year. I DO. It still amazes me. I have a 14 year old boy (my oldest) he's into skateboards,ozzy and all other kinds of strange things. But when he's their. something changes and i get to see my little boy again. Makes me feel good. Cuz i guess i never grew up either. (where's the fun in it)

the-reason14

I know exaclty what you are dealing with. Im now blessed(with the help of you guys, and the discovery of the Annual Pass) to go down there every other month. And so I remember when I went down there I think for a 4 day weekend in October, I remember the next day having to go back to school, and man was I in pain. I already, then, not like my school, but I kept thinking about what I did yesterday or how much fun I had last weekend. But about thurs. I was back in the caught up of normal life and was OK.

I remember Martin Luther King day weekend I also went down for the 3 day weekend, and when I got back, I just forger everything that happened that weekend, and did everything I needed to, then the next weekend I remembered the unforgettably weekend at WDW.(like any trip to WDW is actually forgetable ;) )

Pan

We just got back Sun night after a great week at WDW, and I'm just depressed. Disney is just a total escape from reality, such a magical place. What's hard is that I know we can't go back for 2 or 3 years. I think I might post a trip report, I think it will be therapeutic to relive all the fun we had last week. It's nice to know others share my pain.

General Grizz

sittle said:
Allright, but how do all of you guys deal with it, do you just ride it out, or do you have things that distract your mind of it, or do you relish in it??

Here is something else that I will tell you, something I do when I have "Walt's Happiness" and it's a deep dark secret. I actually watch "The Golden Girls" ... just to see the House set that used to exist at MGM Disney Studios on the Backlot Tour, that was used as the establishing shot for the show... there are even a couple of times I swear I could see the Earful Tower through the trees on the left side of the house. I will watch that show everytime it is on right now.... and I'm like 25!! A man in the prime of his life, watching Golden Girls... does anyone have it that bad??

I'd like to hear from General Grizz on this one, he's always wise in these situations..
Give it a little time. :) Wanna know how I deal with it? I chat with the WDWmagic here on the boards. You seem like a passionate fan, and I think you'll appreciate the various discussions. You always have the Disney movies and internet fan sites.

Soon, you'll be back to normal, but we'll always be here discussing Disney. Until your next trip.

And, don't worry. I, too, watch the Golden Girls. ;)

daveemtdave

I was told by many friends to get a life - Disney is JUST a place that takes money - but to our family it is an escape - the first time we went was our families first family vacation - our girls were 16 and 15 - one month after we got home my mother died unexpectedly - since then - Disney has become our energy boost to get through the ho-hum trials of life - since our first visit I have also lost my father and my mother-in-law's health is failing - but our family is much stronger than ever and we plan our trips to get that boost -- when does the let-down stop - it doesn't - but take that let-down feeling and when it is raining or SNOWING AS IT IS HERE remember what made you laugh and what made you cry and yes, what made you mad about your trip and say -- I CAN'T WAIT TILL I GO BACK -- THEN DO IT -- GO BACK AND LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boo's Mom

oh gosh I had disney fever a few weeks ago. I would hear music on a tv show or commercial and it would remind me of disney. I would smell certain smells throughout the day and it would remind me of disney. I would see some random object and it would remind me of disney. I even said if I won the lottery, I'd buy me a Mustang and build me a house outside of disney's gates :lol: I got disney fever, I got disney fever.... :lookaroun

Jekyll Baker

I was also there the last week of January this year, and was ready to go back the next week. Fortunately I have an AP and live only 200 miles away, so I'll probably be back down there in 2-3 months for a few days and maybe a quick day trip before then. And definitely a week's worth in November. Until then, I'll watch my vacation planning videos/DVDs and hang out on WDWmagic forums for my fix. Maybe I'll even start decorating my master bathroom like the Haunted Mansion this year - I've been thinking of it for a while now (it's the best room, since I'm the only one to see it and it won't freak out my friends and family when they come over :)

sittle

Original Poster
Boo's Mom... yeah, I was lying in bed thinking last night, If I won a nice jackpot, I would spend an entire month at Disney. I would got to every park, when ever I had the whim, get every characters autograph, stay at a couple of the bestest resorts (ie: my faves) ride every ride and just soak it all in! Saturate myself in Disney World.

Grizz... thanks, I'm glad to know I'm not the only male watching the Golden Girls...

As I write this I am finishing my very last Mickey Mouse mint, purchased from the Confectionary Store on Main Street in the MK.... *sniffle*... be strong..

Thanks for the great advice guys!! Anyone else care to weigh in??

LuckyBug

I have to admit....on my way back from from the trips I've been on, I start planning my next trip. I justify to myself, as always having something to look forward to!!!

Another think I do....I have the CD of the park music in my car...and I listen to it daily on my way to work. It always seems to make me happy before I get to work! I'm off from work and have a long weekend next weekend and it's driving me crazy that I'm not going to disney!!!!!!

welovewdw

sittle said:

my husband and i are the same age, and we have the same problems!!!! we listen to the disney parks radio stations almost every night, and we belong to several wdw sites. our last trip was in aug. and we cant wait to get back!!!! we love it so much, when we get out of school we want to try to move to florida to be closer. yep, we're crazy

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom