Walt Disney World theme park parking fees set to rise tomorrow

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Sometimes, but the "ways to manipulate" are nothing more than saying a number that sounds cooler. I make my living in the ticketing industry, and I promise sporting events are usually very close. The worst offenders are festivals and theme parks. I have seen people announce 200% or more and cringe because it is so far off from the very accurate numbers I give them.

Sorry to be so OT - but I agree with the inflating the numbers thing. If you have a moment... http://b1027.com/jazzfest-2013-ties-attendance-record/
The population of Sioux Falls, SD is 160k(ish) and there is NO WAY there were 90k there. I was at the event...I've been in a football stadium that holds 60k and I KNOW there were not 90k at this concert.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
We stayed at the Hard Rock for a week last year at UNI, they charge you daily to park at the hotel. At least that's free at WDW, plus of course parking at the parks is as well.

So yeah Uni is a rip off compared to WDW in this regard.

We went to DL last year - all off property hotels charge daily for parking...in their hotel parking lot. @raven24 can verify if the 3 DL hotels charge for parking or not.

Well they finally did it!!!!! The cost of paying for the privilege of parking your car now costs more then it did to originally get into the parks!!!!

Disney seems to be doing their best to make ALL Disney destinations an exclusive resort for the rich or moderately wealthy. Just solidifies why I can not afford to give the Disney experience to my child in the near future. I use to go to Disney SO much when I was younger with my family. Not sure how anyone can honestly afford to spend a few thousand dollars at a minimum for a Disney vacation. I am with the majority here and agree that Universal has substantial reasons to hike prices because of their expansions. Just think of the thousands of people who aren't on forums and will be blind driving into a price hike scenario. Ok enough complaining. :)

Last edited:

Mr. Moderate

so with that argument any company that makes "enough" money by your standards should be paying their employees more....regardless it's all about the amount they bring in? If that's the case everyone will want to work for whatever company it is who brings in the most profit because they will be making more regardless of the job right?

What argument? All I did was respond to your statement, that on the previous thread where Disney workers want a pay increase, you mentioned, will cause Disney to pass the increase on to us. While that part is true and I have no doubt they will, but all I pointed out to you is, Disney has been raising prices steadily without fail the past decade and the workers haven't seen really much of any increase. That's all I pointed out. I didn't say anything of the kind on what you wrote above. A lot of assumption there on your part and incorrect.

As for your comment to me, "any company that makes "enough" money by your standards should be paying their employees more", (btw, I didn't care for the "by your standards line" and sounds like it came right out of talk radio or Fox news, but here it is. For me, I do feel a company who is making huge profit and is raising prices every year without fail, should pay their employees a living wage, so those very same employees aren't turning to the American tax payer to help supplement their income. By using safety net programs like heat assistance, food stamps, free medical care, etc, which in some cases the company even leads the employee in that direction. For example, Walmart's employee resource service, have been caught even helping their employees fill out the required paperwork that's needed in applying for government assistance. That's just not right.

IMO and for the record, the American tax payer should not be in the business of supplementing the pay of seasoned employees, who work for major companies like Disney, who in turn, makes a very healthy profit. That's not what those safety net programs were designed for and is just as much abuse as the cheaters who work the system that a lot of folks squawk about. It wasn't my intent to take this thread back into that previous discussion, but you did bring it up and trying to twist my words into something I didn't say or think. I think we should stay on topic and that is the fact that Disney is looking kind of ridiculous in the annual price increases.

Killnme

Heck I was just in Orlando and had to pay 5 bucks to park at The Pirate Adventures Dinner show.

I also don't like how any hotel (not Dinsey hotels) you go to now charge you to park. Why not just have that in with the price of the room?

tissandtully

Heck I was just in Orlando and had to pay 5 bucks to park at The Pirate Adventures Dinner show.

I also don't like how any hotel (not Dinsey hotels) you go to now charge you to park. Why not just have that in with the price of the room?

Well, not many other hotels have the capacity that WDW hotels have, lots of people just use hotels as free parking for other events or activities nearby.

Mr. Moderate

Because it's the sneaky way they do business and lead you to think you're getting the room for price A, but with the parking fee, daily resort fee, and what ever else they can tack on, you're really getting the room for the unadvertised, true amount. Remember the old saying, It's easier to beg for forgiveness, than to ask for permission, which seems to be their motto. When you're at the front desk checking in or checking out and you then see all the fees, it's already too late.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Sadly, this increase in parking fees doesn't surprise me one bit, as I have become accustomed to higher and higher prices at WDW. Higher and higher prices, I may add, without even a remotely-close-to-commensurate increase in attractions, experiences, etc. Disney has every right to charge whatever they feel they can charge for parking, tickets, food, etc. And people are free to pay those prices or take their entertainment dollars elsewhere. But looking at this increase not in a vacuum of the now but in a more broad time frame, Disney has increased it's annual profits for the past 3 FY's, going from $3.96 billion in FY 2010 to $6.13 billion in FY 2013. What have guests received for an increasing amount of their vacation dollars? A wristband system that seems to be hated more than it's loved, a C-ticket ride copied from DL, an(other) overpriced eating establishment, a couple of meet-and-greets, and eventually a D-ticket coaster, but that's just at MK. In Epcot, there's been.... umm... at DHS they've added... Well, at AK there's... hmmm... Yeah, beating a dead horse there, I know, but it's absolutely frustrating as hell that the last E-ticket addition was E:E, now almost 9 years ago, and prior to that it was 10 years since RnRC.

Disney seems to be of the mindset that if you charge the most, then people will think they are experiencing the best. I cannot figure out any other explanation for their semi-to-annual price increase merry-go-round and subsequent lack of investment in significant, new attractions in *any* of the 4 parks. The profit they have been raking in since 2010 ($20.5 billion in net income in that time) has gone where, exactly? Stockholder dividends? Executive pay, bonuses, etc.? I don't know, but I can virtually guaran-damn-tee they haven't funneled more than 10-15% of that back into their cash cow in Orlando in capital investments. Instead, TDO cuts live entertainment, refuses to spend $2000 to fix a nickelodeon, and saved what I'm sure was a boat-load of money by not storing the Spectromagic floats in an indoor storage facility.

So, does this mean that paying the most for parking will translate into your parking experience "being magical" and thus Disney will market the bejeezus out of it as the best one around and it's part of "making Disney memories" or whatever unimaginative, unoriginal trash they are passing off as a marketing campaign this year? :rolleyes: *pixiedustSNORT* :eek: Or, maybe the increased parking fee is just to help pay for all of the monorail track maintenance they are doing so that they monorails can run all day, every day. Oh wait... :mad:

Speaking of the monorail, my wife and I were talking about transportation last month while at WDW for her running the Princess half-marathon. This is based on nothing but her observations and is nothing more than a theory, but I think she's on to something with this. She mentioned the number of new buses and the new ferryboat dock being built at the TTC, and said (paraphrasing) that she thinks Disney is spending more money on buses and docks and related things because they're planning to eventually phase out the monorail to MK and the monorail resorts because, "they think it costs too much to keep running the monorail when buses are cheaper in the long run". Disney would just keep the TTC-to-Epcot line going just long enough to figure out a way to shut that down as well. What made me mad was that as I thought more about what she said, the more I realized what she was suggesting was completely plausible and definitely seems to fit into the TDO "cut costs wherever we can" mantra. And as someone who has enjoyed and LOVED the monorail since roughly 1979, when he was about 8 years old, thinking about that even possibly happening es me off in ways I cannot properly explain and so thoroughly that I don't have the words to describe my level of anger at the thought/specter of not being able to ride the monorail in the future. But I can sum up what my actions will be quite simply - I will never spend another dollar at WDW if Disney were to shut down the monorail. Period. End of story. Our DVC ownership would be sold as quickly as possible. I would put my money where my mouth is and I very honestly and quite literally would never set foot on WDW property again. Because to me, the monorail being gone means "the magic" is dead and I have no reason to go there anymore, because the monorail has been such an integral part of the whole WDW experience for me during my life and for our family over the past 15+ years.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Universal has put parking up to $17, and increase of $1 over its previous pricing.

BigTxEars

Agree, but it's the world today I guess.

Did you like the Pirate dinner, I thought it was pretty well done, I enjoyed it.

DisneyCane

Well they finally did it!!!!! The cost of paying for the privilege of parking your car now costs more then it did to originally get into the parks!!!!

And, in other news, Gas costs more than 5 cents a gallon. $17 in 2014 would have been approximately $2.93 in 1971. Comparing costs without taking into account inflation is meaningless. It can certainly be argued that $2.93 would have been too high in 1971 for parking if you want to.

Now, on the admission cost side of things, the $17 admission in 1983 would only inflate to $40 today so the price is over twice as much now in real dollars and I'm sure many people would say the experience was better in 1983 (I was too young to remember).

articos

If you consider that every 5-7 years the lots need to be repaved and keep in mind they have some of the largest parking lots in the world then add in the trams and the cost of maintenance, re-striping and sealcoating the lots every 2 years, maintenance on the drainage / water retention systems in addition to staffing and cleaning, expenses do add up. Now i'll agree they do make a profit but it is a justifiable one considering the millions in maintenance costs per year. Additionally part of that profit goes towards maintaing the feeder roads.

I understand your sarcasm, I just think it's unjustified.
Minor note: the drainage and water retention systems for the property are budgeted and maintained by the District, not the individual operating units. Same with the feeder roads, outside the lots themselves.

bhg469

And, in other news, Gas costs more than 5 cents a gallon. $17 in 2014 would have been approximately $2.93 in 1971. Comparing costs without taking into account inflation is meaningless. It can certainly be argued that $2.93 would have been too high in 1971 for parking if you want to.

Now, on the admission cost side of things, the $17 admission in 1983 would only inflate to $40 today so the price is over twice as much now in real dollars and I'm sure many people would say the experience was better in 1983 (I was too young to remember).
I cant remember back then but I do remember it around 96 being much better. Then in 99, still better.. Things sorta went down from there.

Killnme

Agree, but it's the world today I guess.

Did you like the Pirate dinner, I thought it was pretty well done, I enjoyed it.

I liked it! We had a lot of fun once inside. The main problem there was it took forty minutes to get into the place because they don't have a will call window.

roj2323

Minor note: the drainage and water retention systems for the property are budgeted and maintained by the District, not the individual operating units. Same with the feeder roads, outside the lots themselves.

I'm sure WDW pays property taxes though and that money is certainly put towards maintaining those items. Basically the money goes though a few different accounts but it's still ultimately spent in the way I described.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sadly, this increase in parking fees doesn't surprise me one bit, as I have become accustomed to higher and higher prices at WDW. Higher and higher prices, I may add, without even a remotely-close-to-commensurate increase in attractions, experiences, etc. Disney has every right to charge whatever they feel they can charge for parking, tickets, food, etc. And people are free to pay those prices or take their entertainment dollars elsewhere. But looking at this increase not in a vacuum of the now but in a more broad time frame, Disney has increased it's annual profits for the past 3 FY's, going from $3.96 billion in FY 2010 to $6.13 billion in FY 2013. What have guests received for an increasing amount of their vacation dollars? A wristband system that seems to be hated more than it's loved, a C-ticket ride copied from DL, an(other) overpriced eating establishment, a couple of meet-and-greets, and eventually a D-ticket coaster, but that's just at MK. In Epcot, there's been.... umm... at DHS they've added... Well, at AK there's... hmmm... Yeah, beating a dead horse there, I know, but it's absolutely frustrating as hell that the last E-ticket addition was E:E, now almost 9 years ago, and prior to that it was 10 years since RnRC.

Disney seems to be of the mindset that if you charge the most, then people will think they are experiencing the best. I cannot figure out any other explanation for their semi-to-annual price increase merry-go-round and subsequent lack of investment in significant, new attractions in *any* of the 4 parks. The profit they have been raking in since 2010 ($20.5 billion in net income in that time) has gone where, exactly? Stockholder dividends? Executive pay, bonuses, etc.? I don't know, but I can virtually guaran-damn-tee they haven't funneled more than 10-15% of that back into their cash cow in Orlando in capital investments. Instead, TDO cuts live entertainment, refuses to spend $2000 to fix a nickelodeon, and saved what I'm sure was a boat-load of money by not storing the Spectromagic floats in an indoor storage facility.

So, does this mean that paying the most for parking will translate into your parking experience "being magical" and thus Disney will market the bejeezus out of it as the best one around and it's part of "making Disney memories" or whatever unimaginative, unoriginal trash they are passing off as a marketing campaign this year? :rolleyes: *pixiedustSNORT* :eek: Or, maybe the increased parking fee is just to help pay for all of the monorail track maintenance they are doing so that they monorails can run all day, every day. Oh wait... :mad:

Speaking of the monorail, my wife and I were talking about transportation last month while at WDW for her running the Princess half-marathon. This is based on nothing but her observations and is nothing more than a theory, but I think she's on to something with this. She mentioned the number of new buses and the new ferryboat dock being built at the TTC, and said (paraphrasing) that she thinks Disney is spending more money on buses and docks and related things because they're planning to eventually phase out the monorail to MK and the monorail resorts because, "they think it costs too much to keep running the monorail when buses are cheaper in the long run". Disney would just keep the TTC-to-Epcot line going just long enough to figure out a way to shut that down as well. What made me mad was that as I thought more about what she said, the more I realized what she was suggesting was completely plausible and definitely seems to fit into the TDO "cut costs wherever we can" mantra. And as someone who has enjoyed and LOVED the monorail since roughly 1979, when he was about 8 years old, thinking about that even possibly happening es me off in ways I cannot properly explain and so thoroughly that I don't have the words to describe my level of anger at the thought/specter of not being able to ride the monorail in the future. But I can sum up what my actions will be quite simply - I will never spend another dollar at WDW if Disney were to shut down the monorail. Period. End of story. Our DVC ownership would be sold as quickly as possible. I would put my money where my mouth is and I very honestly and quite literally would never set foot on WDW property again. Because to me, the monorail being gone means "the magic" is dead and I have no reason to go there anymore, because the monorail has been such an integral part of the whole WDW experience for me during my life and for our family over the past 15+ years.

Whats amazing about your post is the amount of abuse I got for even SUGGESTING that WDW would discontinue the monorail, Fast forward a couple months - regular people are wondering WHEN Disney will be closing the monorail. Now with the "maintenance" keeping the monorails shut down for most of the day, One really wonders whether the maintenance is simply a test to see if they can get away with shutting them down.

I'm long term DVC too and I've considered selling as more and more is cut while prices climb at rates far exceeding inflation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom