Walt Disney World theme park parking fees set to rise tomorrow

tissandtully

Okay so why the up in price?

Are they hiring extra security with this money?
Pay raises for existing security?
Sneaky underhanded way of trying to get more people in the resorts? (5 days worth of parking = $85 = extra night in a value resort)

Or are they just being money grbbing corporate buttholes?

Uh, when was the last time you checked what it costs to stay at a value resort?

alphac2005

The last many months on WDWMagic Rumors Forums: Read posts every few weeks, hang in there and chat for some time, and the majority of the threads each and every time focus on one topic, the prices of something going up. Over and over again. I'm over the Mouse. If they return to sanity, I will. Otherwise, whatever.

Communicore

Haha I just got back from the parking lot as I parked for free, for fun, and I noticed several doing the infamous "Return to Magic Kingdom parking lot" maneuver hahaha, saw like several cars behind me on Vista and Floridian Way. I shoulda shot a video.

WDWDad13

The last many months on WDWMagic Rumors Forums: Read posts every few weeks, hang in there and chat for some time, and the majority of the threads each and every time focus on one topic, the prices of something going up. Over and over again. I'm over the Mouse. If they return to sanity, I will. Otherwise, whatever.

...but why are we so surprised? Prices go up all around us in most aspects of life... Disney isn't the only culprit here.

Tom Morrow

...but why are we so surprised? Prices go up all around us in most aspects of life... Disney isn't the only culprit here.
Because they aren't doing much of anything that guests will actually benefit from by spending more? One day ticket prices were almost 40 bucks cheaper in 2006. How much more value do you get for a ticket today? Oh, right, there's hardly anything new.

Mr. Moderate

Disney may not be the only culprit in raising prices, but they're not doing it because they have to or because of current economic conditions require it so they can stay afloat. They're doing it out of pure greed and imo, it just isn't necessary to gouge their loyal fan base to death. I've been part of of online discussions on different websites/forums dedicated to Disney for well over 10 plus years and have watched this same pattern year after year, with most of the same comments get recycled year after year as well. It's like the names change, but the posts remain the same. Bottom line for me is this. Disney doesn't have to raise prices every year, but can do so because they can and their fan base isn't going to do anything about it. At their current rate they're going, just imagine what the ticket prices, along with everything else, will be in another 5 to 10 years? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making a very healthy profit and good for them, but I'm just uncomfortable with the direction Disney is heading and has been for a long time.

Every year there's a ticket price increase, the onsite hotels rates (which are over priced as it is) seem to increase, food offerings either go up, become poorer, or choices become more limited, and now we have this parking lot rate increase. It just never ends and is really tiring to loyal people like me who have willingly handed over untold thousands of dollars over the past 12 years of going to both parks WDW and DLR (sometimes both in the same year), on a regular basis. It's gotten to the point where I'm thinking of maybe selling my DVC next year and moving on because I'm getting damn tired of being gouged. There comes a point where even the diehard fans like me, start asking themselves is all this really worth it? It's getting harder to justify it, year after year. Just wanted to vent a little.

WDWDad13

Disney may not be the only culprit in raising prices, but they're not doing it because they have to or because of current economic conditions require it so they can stay afloat. They're doing it out of pure greed and imo, it just isn't necessary to gouge their loyal fan base to death. I've been part of of online discussions on different websites/forums dedicated to Disney for well over 10 plus years and have watched this same pattern year after year, with most of the same comments get recycled year after year as well. It's like the names change, but the posts remain the same. Bottom line for me is this. Disney doesn't have to raise prices every year, but can do so because they can and their fan base isn't going to do anything about it. At their current rate they're going, just imagine what the ticket prices, along with everything else, will be in another 5 to 10 years? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making a very healthy profit and good for them, but I'm just uncomfortable with the direction Disney is heading and has been for a long time.

Every year there's a ticket price increase, the onsite hotels rates (which are over priced as it is) seem to increase, food offerings either go up, become poorer, or choices become more limited, and now we have this parking lot rate increase. It just never ends and is really tiring to loyal people like me who have willingly handed over untold thousands of dollars over the past 12 years of going to both parks WDW and DLR (sometimes both in the same year), on a regular basis. It's gotten to the point where I'm thinking of maybe selling my DVC next year and moving on because I'm getting damn tired of being gouged. There comes a point where even the diehard fans like me, start asking themselves is all this really worth it? It's getting harder to justify it, year after year. Just wanted to vent a little.

ok but isn't there another discussion going on right now about cast members wanting a pay raise? There's a lot of arguing going on there as well saying they should get one but from a business perspective it's like the minimum wage hike, someone has to pay for it...that someone is us as their customers

WDWDad13

Because they aren't doing much of anything that guests will actually benefit from by spending more? One day ticket prices were almost 40 bucks cheaper in 2006. How much more value do you get for a ticket today? Oh, right, there's hardly anything new.

wages go up, taxes go up, material for construction or basic upkeep goes up, gas goes up, etc. etc. etc. it isn't all Disney's fault.

by the way... you win for having the coolest avatar name on wdwmagic! :)

Tom Morrow

wages go up, taxes go up, material for construction or basic upkeep goes up, gas goes up, etc. etc. etc.
I know, but I gotta agree with others about the parking fees at least. The fact that they stop charging for parking two or three hours before park closing shows that its absolutely nothing more than a way to gouge you of more money. Most people would probably be okay with $10.00 to park. But 15, 16? It's getting absurd. Like another poster said, what kind of impression does that leave, when you're very obviously being ripped off before you even get in the gates?

WDWDad13

I know, but I gotta agree with others about the parking fees at least. The fact that they stop charging for parking two or three hours before park closing shows that its absolutely nothing more than a way to gouge you of more money. Most people would probably be okay with $10.00 to park. But 15, 16? It's getting absurd. Like another poster said, what kind of impression does that leave, when you're very obviously being ripped off before you even get in the gates?

I'm not disagreeing with that... the parking prices are RIDICULOUS... but the other parks down the road are I believe $15 and $16 as well (Uni was higher than Disney for a while there). At this point it seems to be a watch and follow game... when one raises ticket prices, the other isn't far behind it seems. Competition is a good thing for what they offer, but not what they charge in these cases haha

I'm glad I don't pay for parking to be honest...and maybe park of this strategy is to get more people to stay on property

maybe they will raise them to $20-$25 per car to help fund monorails and people movers to all parks and resorts? lol

Mr. Moderate

ok but isn't there another discussion going on right now about cast members wanting a pay raise? There's a lot of arguing going on there as well saying they should get one but from a business perspective it's like the minimum wage hike, someone has to pay for it...that someone is us as their customers

You know they're making more than enough money to justify paying their employees more and have been for a long time. Disney has been raising prices steadily year after year and the employees never saw much of an increase, so that talking point you're trying to use, isn't going to work. You don't have defend every decision Disney does in raising prices, like most of us here don't understand how business works. I own my small business and have for almost 14 years. So I'm not someone who is ignorant in how running a company works and I could never get away with charging the premium Disney does and plus on top of that, raise my prices every year to boot.

Point blank, is that Disney raises the prices because they can get away with it and it's a short sighted business model to do this for quick gain, but it can bite you in the rear as time goes on. It's getting to a saturation point where people are saying, enough already. Healthy profit is a good thing, over the top greed isn't, but that's just how I feel and I'm throwback to days where being moderate and not gouging people, was how things were run. Obviously your experience differs and you feel otherwise.

hokielutz

Hasn't universals parking fee been more expensive than Disneys for a bit?

Edit: Universals parking is $16 so it was a dollar higher than Disney's. At least they have a parking garage which helps during the summer

Just an opinion, not based on research... but given the volume of vehicles that Disney sees everyday... you really don't want a parking garage or else the traffic going in/out is likely to be a bit unmanageably. Ramps, turns, tight spaces would slow the process down quite a bit... and for what benefit? keeping the car shaded in the summer?

WDWDad13

You know they're making more than enough money to justify paying their employees more

so with that argument any company that makes "enough" money by your standards should be paying their employees more....regardless it's all about the amount they bring in? If that's the case everyone will want to work for whatever company it is who brings in the most profit because they will be making more regardless of the job right?

hokielutz

I did a little research and figured that parking at MK alone brings Disney in over $200k a DAY. Just at MK!! Wow

I doubt it is that high a figure for one park.
$200K / $15 fee = 13,300 vehicles Assume an avg of 3 passengers per car... that gets to the 40K avg of visitors per day figure mentioned earlier.

Cut it in half to account for annual passholders & resort guests.

WDWDad13

Hasn't universals parking fee been more expensive than Disneys for a bit?

Edit: Universals parking is $16 so it was a dollar higher than Disney's. At least they have a parking garage which helps during the summer

yeah... Uni has to have a parking garage because they don't have room like Disney so they have to stack them up more (like what's going to happen at DTD).

Uni's parking was more than Disney's for awhile... where was the lashing when they last raised their parking prices? I must have missed it.

Truth be told they all follow each other in one way or another... one raises ticket prices, the other one follows soon behind

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom