News Walt Disney World says goodbye to the final remnants of its COVID-19 safety protocols

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyinMT

If they are smart they’ll avoid reservations until/unless they’re absolutely necessary, they are about to get a huge influx of people trying out other vacations.

If hotel prices are any indication Universals demand is already way up though, I’ve heard for years how cheap Universal is but there’s nothing cheap about their hotel prices next January, sure they’re cheaper than Disney but I wouldn’t call $250 a night for a moderate or $500 a night for a deluxe cheap... and $360 for 2 day park hoppers is insane, we may just pay the extra $50 and get the cheap APs just in case we decide to make another trip next year.
Time of year matters so much, too. When looking at next Thanksgiving week (2023) for a family of 4 "adults", an eight night stay at Beach Club water view 2Q vs the same room at Royal Pacific is a $4K difference in Universal's favor (5 day hopper+ to account for VB access in the "unlimited ticket" promo at Universal). Even more if you buy G+ daily for your party. Don't want easy walking access to 2 parks? Cabana Bay vs POFQ (the most compact moderate) is still a $2.8K difference. All Star Movies>Dockside by almost $2K.

We love our WDW and UOR vacations for very different reasons. Same way we like cruising both DCL and (newer) Carnival ships.

sullyinMT

I guess I just don't see it as very likely that Epic Universe gets slammed while the other parks sit empty. It's a big park with a lot of attractions, so it should be able to absorb a significant amount of demand without resorting to park reservations even if that first summer is particularly crowded. It's not opening like DAK did with very few attractions, for example. Maybe there are plenty of examples where this did happen, but I am always cautious when people start predicting mad hoards descending on a new theme park as through my lifetime that never seems to have quite happened and instead far more reshuffling seems to occur between existing parks.

Uni is in a very different place now than it was then, but I remember similar predictions about how IOA was really going to burst the Orlando theme park scene wide open and that park's take-off ended up being far rockier than everyone seemed to expect until Potter showed up.
I agree 100%. It's why I tried to air quote "nobody" in my comment. There are still a lot of good reasons to be drawn away from the new, shiny thing down the street, and Universal seems to be continuing the maintenance schedule on their current offerings. I see the out of towners and first-timers crashing Epic's gates while return guests and locals take a more balanced approach after their first few days of taking in the newness.

Smiley/OCD

Used to be a COVID protocol. Thanks to Disney's MAGIC, it's now a staffing management tool.
See, that exactly…they can address BOTH sides with the same argument…guests, we can’t fill the positions…but they can also use it as a budget tool…it’s a win-win for them, we’re the dumb losers and Chappie and the BoD laugh all the way to their CPA’s office…

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I would like them to offer a way to buy yourself out of this. Sold at a price or (capped quantity) that is small enough that it works.

Perhaps a new ticket that costs twice as much (or more?). Not the best. Plus, you already pick a ticket start date.
Perhaps a much higher priced park hopper that removes all hopping time restrictions. Ticket still locked to certain days.
Perhaps a slightly higher priced park hopper that moves up the hopping time.
Perhaps a day of instead of entire stay park hopper upcharge to move up the hopping time. Maybe variable base on how much earlier.

Each of those, in reverse order, would add more cost but also remove some restrictions. Then, I could choose how much restrictions vs cost I'm willing to accept. Just like there is already Park Hopper and Park Hopper Plus at different costs. Similar to how Southwest prices Business Select, Anytime, Wanna Get Away Plus, and Wanna Get Away. They're all for the same flight but with different restrictions.

Have them figure out a way to allow me to buy my way out of the restrictions. Maybe I'll accept that, maybe I will not.

Turning people away at the turnstile is clearly the worst possible option. All of these are stop gaps to being able to support more guests than are showing up (just a little bit more, not wasteful amounts more).
How about if it was a new onsite perk? Onsite tickets and hoppers can go as they please.

WDW has more info on these guests. They know exactly which days they’re in the bubble and a pretty good idea about those visiting patterns.

But would they replace chopped perks before absolutely needing it?

mmascari

How about if it was a new onsite perk? Onsite tickets and hoppers can go as they please.

WDW has more info on these guests. They know exactly which days they’re in the bubble and a pretty good idea about those visiting patterns.

But would they replace chopped perks before absolutely needing it?
Whatever fixes it. In an ideal world, they could go back to the "before way". However, by now, we all know the "before way" was starting to crack and fail all on it's own already. Perhaps more than just "start" depending on who you ask.

So, great, they've come up with ways to patch the cracks. Give me (or someone with enough $$$) a way to get back the "before way" until (and if) they are able to build more capacity to handle the new guest size.

Maybe they already did and I just didn't recognize it. Maybe they're unable to provide the "before way" to any sizeable population at all and the incremental staggered price offerings wouldn't work. Maybe the only way to get the "before way" is a VIP tour, which they have today. That feels unlikely, but maybe that's it.

If you really want a WDW vacation like it used to be, or, how the rose glasses say it used to be, the cost is just $4,000 a day now. 🤷‍♂️

doctornick

Widespread adoption of hand sanitizer use probably contributed to the lower incidence of other illnesses over the past 2 years.
Maybe? But plenty of other factors like mask wearing, staying at home, more conscientious hand washing, etc could play roles. Also people who were sick - even without COVID - were probably more aggressive with avoiding others to limit spreading than normal.

I’d really like to see “wearing a mask in public if you are sick” become a regular thing. Just considerate to others.

disneyfireman

I’m absolutely sure the amenities are AAA+++, but again I’m asking the question, can I ride HM, CoP, BTMRR, etc? Nope, it’s just a Disney tease for me IMHO ONLY…
Exactly. You could replace mickey with Scooby Doo. And call it a Hanna Barbarra cruise. The only thing Disney is optics. I have no desire to be bored on a cruise. Just sounds like watching paint dry to me. I’d rather be in the parks. Riding real attractions. Either DL or WDW any day any year over a Disney cruise.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Exactly. You could replace mickey with Scooby Doo. And call it a Hanna Barbarra cruise. The only thing Disney is optics. I have no desire to be bored on a cruise. Just sounds like watching paint dry to me. I’d rather be in the parks. Riding real attractions. Either DL or WDW any day any year over a Disney cruise.
Some people don’t like limiting their vacation routine to one or two places. They like variety. DCL and cruising in general is one way to achieve that.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I’m absolutely sure the amenities are AAA+++, but again I’m asking the question, can I ride HM, CoP, BTMRR, etc? Nope, it’s just a Disney tease for me IMHO ONLY…
No. But you can visit a bunch of places and countries you may have never been to before. Experience real and different cultures. Catch great entertainment. Or just relax. As I said, it’s a different form of vacation for those that like to mix it up.

Disone

So no, you have not. I would highly recommend giving it try. I think you would be very pleased at how truely Disney it feels even without your HM, COP BTMRR. It's way more then a tease. That all said I do agree the Disney Stores were a tease and I even worked at one for four years during the heyday when each store had animation and magic and cast members were the stars, the experience was the priority and the Merchandise just happened to be Disney. And then they slowly turned into the stores that sell Disney stuff. Once they did that then they realized they don't need stores to sell disney stuff they can do that online.

UNCgolf

No. But you can visit a bunch of places and countries you may have never been to before. Experience real and different cultures. Catch great entertainment. Or just relax. As I said, it’s a different form of vacation for those that like to mix it up.

You can do that without being on a cruise, though.

Not that I'm knocking cruises -- I have no problem with them or other people enjoying them. There's just nothing appealing about them to me. I don't want to dock in Barcelona for a day; I want to spend several days there then catch a train to Madrid and spend several more (which I've actually done).

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Not that I'm knocking cruises -- I have no problem with them or other people enjoying them. There's just nothing appealing about them to me. I don't want to dock in Barcelona for a day; I want to spend several days there then catch a train to Madrid and spend several more (which I've actually done).
You can. There are many types of vacations. That’s sort of my point.

Wendy Pleakley

Losing the signs and sanitized stations is fine. Most of us know the risks and anyone in denial about COVID wasn't reading the signs anyway. Just have sanitizer for sale for those who want it and forgot to bring it. It's not expensive. A tiny bottle lasts a long time.

What I would like Disney, and any other tourist destination, to do is encourage people to stay away when sick. Yes, travel insurance is a thing but many people skip it. Disney is, obviously, expensive so what does someone do when they get sick while at WDW? They suck it up and head to the parks anyway.

It would be good if Disney could work with anyone who gets sick at WDW. Send a COVID test to their room, and if positive work with the guest to keep them isolated. Give them a credit or way to reschedule their lost vacation days another time.

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Wow, lots to address here.

1. Before the pandemic, Iger recognized that guest enjoyment of the parks were measurably lower (GSATS) when it was overcrowded. That hurt the brand. People can't pay for overpriced meals if all the restaurants are already full. They're just standing there trying to find food at QS's that don't have a 30 minute line. They leave, and they don't come back. This hurts "the brand" and "the brand" is Disney's most valuable asset. It makes people pay extra not only for really good services and goods... but they'll also give Disney a pass and pay extra for stuff that's only 'meh.'

2. So, Disney had been looking for ways to reduce peak attendance and bring in more people to the 'off times' so that the parks would be constantly and comfortably full for maximum profit.

3. So, Disney kept raising prices while offering discounts to the dead-times, to even out the highs and lows. The holiday parties in the Fall were to entice more people to those previous dead times, and that worked tremendously.

4. And yet, park overcrowding still happened, especially at MK. They were a victim of their own success. And so, let's make this clear: IT WASN'T WORKING PERFECTLY LIKE YOU CLAIM IT WAS. At least, not in the past decade. Millions more people were crowding into WDW year after year and it seemed no matter how much Disney jacked up the prices way above inflation and the cost of living, more and more people attended WDW every year. This is what happens when anyone with a ticket or AP can show up whenever they want, and they all show up on the same weekend and holiday days creating a very unpleasant overcrowding situation. It wasn't working.

5. Park reservations was the obvious answer, but, it was also the nuclear option, since guests would hate the restrictions it imposed. Something which I kept on saying on these forums for years before the pandemic.

6. When the pandemic hit, do you remember "six foot distancing"? You can't let the usual 50,000 people enter the MK and maintain six foot distancing. On top of that, the governments weren't letting large entertainment venues operate at full capacity and limited them to just 10% or 25% or 50% of normal. But, when Disney sells "any time tickets" and has tons of AP holders, how do they limit attendance? With park reservations. The pandemic pretty much forced them to limit capacity.

7. So, how do you limit capacity? Well, on Christmas or New Years Day, you can just turn people away at the tapstile and tell them you're full because there's an hour line to use the restrooms, like WDW has done in the past. (See, it didn't always work in the past). Or, you can make people make reservations so you never get to that level of attendance that overwhelms the facilities and your staffing.

8. So, yes, park reservations, which was always an option, but a nuclear one, was the only real solution, due to severe capacity reductions imposed by the pandemic.

9. And yes, of course they're keeping it. And I understand the hate for it. I struggled with it on my visits in December and May. But, it's the only solution that will work to keep capacity from overwhelming staffing (and there is still a labor shortage despite some peoples' disbelief). The only other solution is to keep raising prices dramatically until they find the tipping point at which people won't pay... and apparently, it's much, much higher than anyone thought it would be.

I understand you want to go the MK anytime you want. But so do 21 million other people. And letting them all chose whatever day they want is just crazy. There will be days that just too many show up. What do you do, let in 90,000 people into the MK to live in 2 hour long lines and scrambling to find something to eat in 40 minute lines?

[And yes, Disney's fault for not increasing capacity, but what if consumer demand constantly outstripped increased capacity?]
Yes, ostensibly, the park reservations are a way to manage guest satisfaction by ensuring the parks are never overcrowded. However, we all know that's not how they're being used: the parks are more consistently crowded now than ever before, with long waits for everything from E-tickets to popcorn. That's feature of the park reservation system, not a flaw.

Even during the most restricted periods of operation after the shutdowns, it was rare that any domestic park not named Disney's Hollywood Studios to have no capacity available. Sure, there may not have been availability for certain blocks of tickets (CM sign-ins, APs, etc), but most parks had same-day availability the overwhelming majority of the time. Even Studios was relatively easy to get into if you planned a few days in advance. And all that was when the parks had severely reduced entrance capacity.

Now that those capacity restrictions have been long lifted, the reservations remain in place. Not as a way to ensure that guests are able to get through the park entrance, but in order to throttle the park's capacity on a given day to ensure consistent levels of crowding regardless of the number of people in the park. It's not a way to ensure a great guest experience, it's a way to allow Disney to do the bare minimum to get by.

Everything from the number of cashiers at restaurants, to the number of vehicles cycling through an attraction, to the number and types of entertainment, to the length of the park's operating day is finely tuned, creating an equally miserable experience on an off-season weekday as a weekend during spring break.

Of course, any long-time CM worth their salt could predict crowd levels on any given day to help forecast staffing needs, but now that Disney knows the exact numbers in advance, they can fine tune the staffing levels to ensure a day with only 10,000 guests in the park still has waits as long as a day with 60,000 guests. Rather than reducing the number of guests to ensure a high-level of service, they allow in as many as are interested and reduce the capacity across the board to make sure no guest accidentally gets an outstanding day. It's the Harrison Bergeron of customer service.

Yes, it's Disney's fault for not adding adequate capacity to meet the growing demand in the late 2000's. It's Disney's fault they tried to try and further avoid meaningfully adding capacity through the 2010's with the much-maligned NextGen/My Magic+ project. And yet again it's Disney's fault that they're still attempting to ration theme park capacity, rather than finding a way to address the root of the problem. All four of WDW's parks are underbuilt for their attendance, and have been for at least a generation. Instead of working to ensure the best guest experience possible, they're content to make everybody miserable, regardless of the season. I'm sure that's doing wonders for their beloved GSAT numbers.

Nubs70

Spent 5 days in Madrid in June. Absolutely fantastic and affordable

disneygeek90

Long before COVID cruise lines had hand alcohol dispensers at the entrance to their dining rooms with a staff person watching and encouraging everyone to use it.

Rhinovirus and flu are still a thing.
I was on this sailing on Independence of the Seas. Only 332 "reported," but it was easily over 1000, probably 2000. Both parents got it. Nasty stomach virus. Went to dinner on one of the last nights and only about half of the normal guests attended dinner, shows were cancelled or modified because members of the bands were sick, etc.
1659720177317.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom