News Walt Disney World restaurants to begin expanding plant-based menu options

higgipoker

... Turn it around and it sounds ridiculous because it is. Just as a plant-based imitation meat. Just eat plants. Why eat a plant that looks like an animal product? It’s insane.
Not at all. Now, of course there are exceptions to every rule, but you'll find that 99% of vegans or vegetarians who like the imitation meat stuff are people who were brought up eating animals for 20 or 30 years. Once they make the moral decision to transition to a cruelty free diet, these things just make the transition easier. It's tough to change from one day to the next when you are used to the taste and texture of animal products. You can't change your physical tastes overnight just by thinking about it, like you can with your moral tastes. Lifelong vegetarians or vegans tend not not eat the modern imitation meat at all.

Also, as someone else already pointed out, most of the "imitation" stuff has nothing to do with animals whatsoever, they are just common culture names for the convenient shapes that people recognize. Burgers, sausages, dogs, "cheese slices" etc are just names for shapes that are convenient to work with!

There is absolutely nothing "insane" about liking the shape and form of a burger or a hotdog and wanting a plant-based alternative. These shapes and forms have NOTHING to do with animals, nor do they look like animals. You will rarely see, for example, imitation meat in the form of a rib-eye on the bone or a turkey leg... no, we just like the convenience and form of a couple of buns, a patty, a bit of lettuce and tomato and maybe a nice sauce to top it off... you know... a convenient hand-held sandwich... you find that insane and ridiculous? I really don't get why.

It's quite ironic actually, that most animal products are processed and molded so they DON'T look like animal anatomy. I doubt the big mac would be quite as popular if it had a cows head hanging out of it.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Yeah, it's not uncommon to talk about the "meat" of particular fruits, for example, when distinguishing from the skin or rind or whatever.

The link I provided offers some really fascinating background:

Narrower sense of "flesh of warm-blooded animals killed and used as food" is attested from c. 1300 (earlier this was flesh-meat, early 12c.). There is a similar sense evolution in French viande "meat," originally "food." In Middle English, vegetables still could be called grene-mete (15c.) and white meat was "a dairy food or product" (early 15c.).​
I'm glad I have a rock-solid linguistic defence to invoke the next time someone says "plant-based meat" is nonsensical. I may even start calling it "grene-mete" in homage to our medieval ancestors!

Last edited:

higgipoker

I'm glad I have a rock-solid linguistic defence to invoke the next time someone says "plant-based meat" is nonsensical. I may even start calling it "grene-mete" in homage to our medieval ancestors!
Hehe all true but it doesn't really matter if you ask me. The language is constantly evolving anyway. Even if "meat" had only ever been used to refer to animal flesh, still wouldn't see a problem with the term "plant meat" catching on. *shrug*

LittleBuford

Hehe all true but it doesn't really matter if you ask me. The language is constantly evolving anyway. Even if "meat" had only ever been used to refer to animal flesh, still wouldn't see a problem with the term "plant meat" catching on. *shrug*

Oh, I quite agree, especially since “plant-based meat” is clearly referring to the word’s modern sense anyway. I just thought it was fun to beat our linguistic naysayer at his own game.

higgipoker

Oh, I quite agree, especially since “plant-based meat” is clearly referring to the word’s modern sense anyway. I just thought it was fun to beat our linguistic naysayer at his own game.
Now, the only mystery that remains is why this "animal meat-lover" is so desperate to make his meat foods look like anything BUT animals... burgers, hot dogs, fish sticks, chicken nuggets cheese slices... and then accuse us of being ridiculous for wanting plant versions of these "animal products" that don't look like animals... 🤣😇

higgipoker

You know what i meant 🙄
Not really. If you are just having a bit of fun then OK, quite funny :D ... but it's difficult to judge on an internet forum. Perhaps you were intending to offer up a genuine counter? In which case I'd just respond by saying that this is a quirky recipe intended to be attractive to kids and not really relevant in the context of vegans/vegetarians wanting burger shaped food because it is convenient, and not because it looks like food which has traditionally been made out of animals.

Cheers!

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Not really. If you are just having a bit of fun then OK, quite funny :D ... but it's difficult to judge on an internet forum. Perhaps you were intending to offer up a genuine counter? In which case I'd just respond by saying that this is a quirky recipe intended to be attractive to kids and not really relevant in the context of vegans/vegetarians wanting burger shaped food because it is convenient, and not because it looks like food which has traditionally been made out of animals.

Cheers!
You were cheering on a post that said "should we have triangle tofu instead" . I was just pointing out that it isn't a new thing so the "burn" is pretty mild. But keep on keeping on with your burning discussion.

higgipoker

You were cheering on a post that said "should we have triangle tofu instead" . I was just pointing out that it isn't a new thing so the "burn" is pretty mild. But keep on keeping on with your burning discussion.
As so you DID think you were making a legitimate point. OK, I think it was a pretty solid burn, and a recipe for kids parties doesn't cool it down. The point was that the OP had some weird objection to vegans/vegetarians wanting conveniently shaped food, because there already exists food in those shapes made from animal ingredients.

The triangle tofu quip was, excellently in my opinion, pointing out that the shapes have nothing to do with the contents, just the convenience. Why avoid the circular shape of burgers just because burgers have been traditionally made of animals? Should we use a triangle instead? With triangle buns to go with it?

So yeah, still an excellent burn if you ask me. Got the point across clearly and succinctly, unlike me, who took two paragraphs to explain it ;)

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
As so you DID think you were making a legitimate point. OK, I think it was a pretty solid burn, and a recipe for kids parties doesn't cool it down. The point was that the OP had some weird objection to vegans/vegetarians wanting conveniently shaped food, because there already exists food in those shapes made from animal ingredients.

The triangle tofu quip was, excellently in my opinion, pointing out that the shapes have nothing to do with the contents, just the convenience. Why avoid the circular shape of burgers just because burgers have been traditionally made of animals? Should we use a triangle instead? With triangle buns to go with it?

So yeah, still an excellent burn if you ask me. Got the point across clearly and succinctly, unlike me, who took two paragraphs to explain it ;)
Not really a burn. It could be used as a solid marketing ploy . There is at least one burger chain that makes a big deal about the shape of their patty being different.

higgipoker

Not really a burn. It could be used as a solid marketing ploy . There is at least one burger chain that makes a big deal about the shape of their patty being different.
Again, just missing the point. The point was that we were called insane for wanting plant food in convenient shapes because there already exists animal food in said shapes.
The burn was in succinctly pointing out how ridiculous this logic is. The food comes in that shape because it is convenient, not because it is made of animals. Thus, nothing insane or ridiculous about wanting plant versions in the same shapes.
Would you be happier if I changed the example to "what should we do, eat hexagonal pyramid plant burgers, just to desperately avoid the circle shape because animal burgers traditionally come in circles?" It's a less subtle version of the burn, sure, but maybe easier to understand...

Cheers.

P.S. just like the triangle example, when you find some weird recipe for hexagonal pyramid tofu burgers, it doesn't diminish the burn, just misses the point!

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I'm a meat-eater...can I just take a moment to say how nice it is to see discussion between vegans and non-vegans that doesn't involve one trying to force the other to conform to their way of gaining sustenance? It's all about understanding! Sometimes these conversations can be tricky, and emotions may run high, but they shouldn't be avoided.

I know you guys are still arguing, but at least it's a different argument! 🤷‍♀️

PeoplemoverTTA

I wish you guys wouldn't argue semantics, though. Yes, I eat tofu triangles. No, not on a bun like a 'burger.' No, not everyone who eats this way proselytizes incessantly (although if family asks, I am happy to share insights, resources and advice, having the experience of working as a marketing executive at a whole food, plant based company, plus my husband reversed his heart disease -- and a 99% coronary artery blockage -- at age 41 by eating a whole food plant based diet).

I mean really, how does this have anything to do with there being more food options in WDW now than there were before? There's more food. Some people will try the new options. Some people won't.

Some folks on here will find anything to argue about, it seems...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom