News Walt Disney World restaurants to begin expanding plant-based menu options

higgipoker

I'm really not here to cause trouble or break any rules... but is there any chance of getting an explanation for the deletions and edits being done by the mods? If nothing else it would be nice to know what I'm doing to people off so I can avoid it in the future! Don't wanna get banned over a misunderstanding! :p
Cheers.

John park hopper

I could care less what your reasons are for not eating meat --that is your personal choice. I really am not interested in your perceived moral high ground--- oh I don't eat meat because its torture and killing blah blah blah

LittleBuford

I could care less what your reasons are for not eating meat --that is your personal choice.

To be fair, these reasons have been offered only in response to others’ questions. This thread never needed to turn into a debate, but some people here seem to be adversely affected by the introduction of new food choices that will have absolutely no bearing on them.

higgipoker

I could care less what your reasons are for not eating meat --that is your personal choice. I really am not interested in your perceived moral high ground--- oh I don't eat meat because its torture and killing blah blah blah
And I *couldn't* care less that you are not interested in my reasons for not eating meat. Works both ways me thinks. Fair game.

I do think it's relevant to the thread though, why is Disney expanding their plant based options? If you are not interested in the topic, don't read the thread. It is INEVITABLY going to touch on reasons people want more plant based options. Seems pertinent to the topic, and the direction Disney is taking in this respect.

Cheers.

ImperfectPixie

I'm really not here to cause trouble or break any rules... but is there any chance of getting an explanation for the deletions and edits being done by the mods? If nothing else it would be nice to know what I'm doing to **** people off so I can avoid it in the future! Don't wanna get banned over a misunderstanding! :p
Cheers.
Most often it seems to be because comments have strayed too far off topic or are irrelevant, but it can also be if comments are name-calling, attacking, etc. If you scroll to the bottom of the page and read the "Terms and Rules" you'll be far less likely to get in trouble. :)

dreamfinder

There is no parallel to artificial sweetener, as people who wish not to consume sugar don't do so for ethical reasons.

Not true. A hard core vegan will sometimes refuse to eat refined white sugar. Many white sugars are bleached using bone char. So while the sugar itself is animal free, animal byproducts were used in it's processing, and thus the sugar is deemed non-vegan.

There are alternatives, without having to resort to artificial sweetener. Beet sugar, "sugar in the raw", agave, maple syrup, etc.

I would actually be surprised if most of the vegan options at WDW go that far, but it would be interesting to see if they do.

Incomudro

Not odd at all. People develop a physical taste for the flavor and texture of animal flesh. Why on earth would you think that taste magically disappears the instant they make a moral decision not to support the torturing of animals?

You can't make an "ethical" decision to stop enjoying the taste and texture of "meat." You have no choice in the matter, so it is your position which seems odd to me.

I wouldn't thinks the taste magically disappears.
I would believe that people who go this route would find something that mimics animal flesh to be abhorrent.

higgipoker

I wouldn't thinks the taste magically disappears.
I would believe that people who go this route would find something that mimics animal flesh to be abhorrent.
Why? They have been conditioned to like the taste and texture of animal flesh. They make a moral decision that they don't want to contribute to or support the unnecessary torture and killing of animals. They find it difficult, due to the years of conditioning, to enjoy meals without that taste and texture they are used to, so to help them along with the process they can enjoy plant-based substitutes that don't contribute in any way to animal suffering but make it easier for them to transition to a cruelty free diet.

I really don't see why anyone, except for those who have been on a plant diet their whole lives, would or should find meat substitutes abhorrent.

SeaCastle

It floors me that everytime the plant based/alternative diet at WDW stuff comes up that it ends up being controversial. There is no indication that offering alternatives is zero sum with having meat available to eat.

Preachy vegans and preachy meat-lovers (and preachy gluten free people at that) all exist and the rush to virtue signal what you eat or what you don't automatically ratchets up the discussion to unhelpful degrees.

higgipoker

It floors me that everytime the plant based/alternative diet at WDW stuff comes up that it ends up being controversial. There is no indication that offering alternatives is zero sum with having meat available to eat.

Preachy vegans and preachy meat-lovers (and preachy gluten free people at that) all exist and the rush to virtue signal what you eat or what you don't automatically ratchets up the discussion to unhelpful degrees.
Agree with everything here except that it doesn't floor me. It is an inherently controversial topic, unfortunately. For the record, I never mention my dietary/ethical stance unless directly questioned, or in a thread dedicated to that specific topic. I think that's reasonable. What I do find odd, if not surprising, is the "meat-lovers" like you say seeming to hunt out these threads to complain because they think that the decision to expand the plant-based options will have a negative effect on their dining experiences in the parks and resorts. *shrug*

SeaCastle

Agree with everything here except that it doesn't floor me. It is an inherently controversial topic, unfortunately. For the record, I never mention my dietary/ethical stance unless directly questioned, or in a thread dedicated to that specific topic. I think that's reasonable. What I do find odd, if not surprising, is the "meat-lovers" like you say seeming to hunt out these threads to complain because they think that the decision to expand the plant-based options will have a negative effect on their dining experiences in the parks and resorts. *shrug*

I almost never divulge the reason I don't eat meat unless asked nor even volunteer the fact that I don't eat meat (this post aside), but the # of people around me who came out of the woodwork to shame/interrogate/debate/personally attack me once they found out that I didn't eat meat was a shock. I would never think for a second to confront somebody with "Well, why do you eat meat?"

Roy G. Dis

I almost never divulge the reason I don't eat meat unless asked nor even volunteer the fact that I don't eat meat (this post aside), but the # of people around me who came out of the woodwork to shame/interrogate/debate/personally attack me once they found out that I didn't eat meat was a shock. I would never think for a second to confront somebody with "Well, why do you eat meat?"

Just wait until you decide to quit drinking!

LittleBuford

I think your confusion is stemming from the belief that those who choose not to eat meat are repulsed by it. While that may be true for many vegetarians and vegans, it isn’t true for them all. A helpful analogy is the consumption of bacon substitutes (including kosher turkey bacon) by people who won’t eat pork for religious reasons.

PeoplemoverTTA

My husband and I are plant based, and are raising our daughter plant based as well. If you really want to be peppered with annoying questions, raise a plant based child. Oh. My. Goodness.

JohnD

Everyone knows exactly what is meant by the term. Can you think of an alternative that describes the product as clearly? It’s no more illogical than “soy milk”, and considerably more logical than “hot dog”, which I assume is a term you have no objections to.

Vegans don't eat meat. Therefore, plant meat makes no sense. And, no, not everyone knows exactly what it means. It's a contradiction in terms.

You want to eat a plant-based diet. Knock yourself out. Go for it. Enjoy yourself. What strikes me as odd, though, is after deciding to eat a plant-based diet, then eating food that looks like it came from animals which you've already decided not to consume.
  • Soy milk
  • Tofu burgers
  • Plant meat
Just eat fruit, veggies, and starches, and be done with it.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Vegans don't eat meat. Therefore, plant meat makes no sense.

I assume you don’t eat canine meat yet are happy to call hot dogs by that name. What about the terms “fruit salad”, “turkey bacon”, and “peanut butter”? “Peanut” itself should be objectionable to you, since the thing it describes is neither a pea nor a nut.

And, no, not everyone knows exactly what it means. It's a contradiction in terms.

Again, can you think of a suitable alternative to describe the product? Would the more literal “plant-based imitation meat” work for you? If anyone is initially confused upon hearing the more streamlined “plant-based meat”, is it really that big a deal? All of us have to Google things now and again.

You want to eat a plant-based diet. Knock yourself out. Go for it. Enjoy yourself. What strikes me as odd, though, is after deciding to eat a plant-based diet, then eating food that looks like it came from animals which you've already decided not to consume.
  • Soy milk
  • Tofu burgers
  • Plant meat

By this logic, people should be prevented from using artificial sweetener, applying a fake tan, or wearing faux fur. Let’s scrap World Showcase while we’re at it—only the real countries should be allowed to exist!

Why does it bother you what I or others choose to eat?!

Last edited:

JohnD

I assume you don’t eat canine meat yet are happy to call hot dogs by that name. What about the terms “fruit salad”, “turkey bacon”, and “peanut butter”? “Peanut” itself should be objectionable to you, since the thing it describes is neither a pea nor a nut.

Again, can you think of a suitable alternative to describe the product? Would the more literal “plant-based imitation meat” work for you? If anyone is initially confused upon hearing the more streamlined “plant-based meat”, is it really that big a deal? All of us have to Google things now and again.

By this logic, people should be prevented from using artificial sweetener, applying a fake tan, or wearing faux fur. Let’s scrap World Showcase while we’re at it—only the real countries should be allowed to exist!

Why does it bother you what I or others choose to eat?!

I’m craving a meat plant right now. It must be a meat-based imitation plant. A ribeye that looks like broccoli maybe. Turn it around and it sounds ridiculous because it is. Just as a plant-based imitation meat. Just eat plants. Why eat a plant that looks like an animal product? It’s insane. I’m pointing out the craziness of eating plant based products that look like they came from animals. Huh?

Your analogy for “hot dog” is stupid. No one really knows what is in a hot dog but it’s meat and people eat it. But even if really a “dog” while some may decide “No thank you”, dog is a staple in Asian culture and is still meat. So your analogy there is pointless.

Last edited:

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
What strikes me as odd, though, is after deciding to eat a plant-based diet, then eating food that looks like it came from animals which you've already decided not to consume.
  • Soy milk
  • Tofu burgers
  • Plant meat

Geez, you're talking about the names and shapes of food. Because milk is white, all other white beverages should be off limits to vegans? The shape of a burger patty just happens to be convenient. Would you rather that vegans consume tofu triangles? Companies call them "milk" and "burger" for marketing purposes. The name "Impossible Burger" must sell better than "Impossible Pea Protein Patty", just like "hot dog" sounds more appealing than "meat trimmings capsule".

Anyway, I'm super happy with the changes WDW is making. They're a business and they wouldn't be adding all these plant-based menu options if there wasn't a demand for it. I just came back from Shanghai Disneyland and there was virtually nothing in their QS restaurants that didn't have meat. The majority of their guests must have different demands than those in Florida.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I really like this website: https://vegandisneyworld.com and Disney now has an official page at https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/plant-based/

LittleBuford

I’m pointing out the craziness of eating plant based products that look like they came from animals. Huh?

No-one is forcing you to purchase, eat, or even think about these products. Why follow a thread about them if they bother you so much?

Your analogy for “hot dog” is stupid.

What about "fruit salad" (which contains no salad), "turkey bacon" (which isn't real bacon), and "peanut butter" (which has nothing to do with peas, nuts, or butter)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom