Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

techgeek

So true, those arguing that, are stuck in March 2020
Oh wow, so wishing death upon me now.
Succumb to the virus? Really?

You do all realize that no one on this forum makes decisions regarding how the world reacts to this, right? We're not working for the media, we're not deciding what airlines fly into MCO next week, none of us are even in charge of the operating hours of the WDW resort... (which is what this thread was about, before it got derailed, yet again...)

So what's your point? What are you trying to prove? Who are you trying to convince? We're just hanging out because we're board and fascinated by the inner workings of the Disney company - which is currently reacting to business realities that, while you may disagree with their fundamental basis, are in fact still realities. Even if we all said 'hey, you're right!', ripped off our masks and went skipping down Main Street hand in hand, nothing said here really matters, and nothing in the greater world or WDW would change. So... why?

If you're trying to use your voice towards change in park hours, perhaps try to get the ear of Bob Chapek or some other executive of the company, or better yet the legal and HR departments they are advised by. Tell them Universal is doing a much better job than they are. If you want to debate the latest numbers and pretty graphs and what they mean, there's already other threads for that both in this category and in the deeper depths of this forum. If you want to find an echo chamber of like-minded souls, there's countless other places on the web where you don't have to put up with all of us, our 'realities', and our 'concerns'. Go hang out on Reddit or a Facebook group, or troll the comments section of the Washington Post or something. You've got a better shot at succeeding at whatever you're trying to do there then convincing a bunch of Disney geeks to 'open their eyes and think for themselves'. We're a stubborn lot, and we're already deeply invested in one cult.. we really don't have the energy for another.

Thank you for reading my rant. At risk of drifting off topic further, I really don't like the new paint job on the castle. The turrets are too saturated, and the gray on the bottom looks unfinished. There. I said it.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Covid is most certainly NOT an order of magnitude worse than the flu at this point. Not even half an order.
So true, those arguing that, are stuck in March 2020

About six months since the day the world shut down, we are at just under 200k deaths (remember when Barbara Brix said we could have 120k-250k deaths and people scoffed at her?). Now, on average, the flu kills about 34k people per year. Bat its highest in the last 50 years, it killed about 61k. 1200 people are currently dying every day from COVID (a relative lowpoint). Extrapolate that over the next six months, and you have a total 1 year death toll from COVID of 419,000, a full order of magnitude higher than almost all flu seasons except the most recent one. That's assuming that we continue at our current pace for the next six months. Most epidemiologists think we will hit at least one more wave, maybe two, in the winter months, so by next March the total could be ~600k.
To be fair isnt you calling the policy disastrous also political? I mean that would require context as to what is success vs failure and you have not provided such.

Ok, fair. Sweden advocated that by not having any kind of lockdown or restrictions, but relying on people's good sense, that they would avoid economic recession while preventing the spread of the disease and death. The result is that they have the highest death toll per capita in the Scandinavian region and are among the top in the world. And they did not stave off economic recession, as their GDP decline of 8.6% last quarter surpassed that of their Scandinavian neighbors.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney CFO presented at a BoA conference today. Here are some highlights on the parks segment:

Jessica Reif Cohen

So, let's go through the divisions because there's a lot to talk about. So, as you said, this is just unprecedented having the park shut down, but you have a number of parks up now in Shanghai, Paris, Tokyo, Orlando. COVID cases have gone down finally in Florida. Are you seeing the change in consumer behavior there?

Christine McCarthy

Well, the consumer behavior that we looked at, we do a lot of surveying ourselves as well as we look at the other consumer research done on habits and consumer behavior what people did before COVID, what they intend to do as they would now when we don't live in a world with a vaccine, an effective vaccine, and what the intent to do things like go to a theme park, go to a movie theater, go to restaurants.

So, in Florida, we're not going to update more than we did on the earnings call in early August. But we have seen – we're opening up and people are coming. As we mentioned, there was a spike in July in in Florida, and that had an impact on the visitation that we had expected because people couldn't – didn't choose to necessarily travel to Florida. So, what we did was we shifted to more local visitation as well as opening it up more fully to annual pass holders.

So, we continue to once again adjust the business depending on what issues we're dealing with. And once again, this is such an unpredictable virus that we have to stay flexible.

Jessica Reif Cohen

And how is the reopening of hotels, the Disney hotels progressing in Orlando?

Christine McCarthy

Well, we're really looking at maximizing – really utilizing that yield strategy. So, we're not going to be opening up things if we don't have sufficient demand. But by the end of this fiscal year, we expect to have a little over 50% of our hotels, resorts opened, and that also includes hotels, DVCs that are being utilized currently with the NBA for housing, the NBA for operating in the bubble down in Orlando.

No real breaking news here. The fiscal year ends 9/30 so it doesn’t look like any additional resorts will open this month. Not a shock. Further confirmation that the summer was a swing and miss and the key driver was the spike in cases in FL in July. People were not traveling into FL so they focused more on local guests and AP holders. Sounds like stuff we were talking about here. Hopefully the rush to re-open bars again and other generally questionable behavior doesn’t lead to a reversal of the downward trend In FL we’ve seen. Just as it happened this summer that will kill any hope for a bump in demand for the holidays.

Here’s the full transcript:

Hawg G

About six months since the day the world shut down, we are at just under 200k deaths (remember when Barbara Brix said we could have 120k-250k deaths and people scoffed at her?). Now, on average, the flu kills about 34k people per year. Bat its highest in the last 50 years, it killed about 61k. 1200 people are currently dying every day from COVID (a relative lowpoint). Extrapolate that over the next six months, and you have a total 1 year death toll from COVID of 419,000, a full order of magnitude higher than almost all flu seasons except the most recent one. That's assuming that we continue at our current pace for the next six months. Most epidemiologists think we will hit at least one more wave, maybe two, in the winter months, so by next March the total could be ~600k.

And by next March we’ll have a another flu season worth of deaths.

And how do you extrapolate a number that includes the wiping out of nursing homes and sick people?

So, you’re saying IF we have a WORSE second wave, and NO flu deaths this winter, Covid just MIGHT be an order of magnitude worse.

Wow, thanks for that info, skippy.

SoFloMagic

Anyone else feel like they may extend MK hours to 8 or so for Christmas? They could probably pay for it with all the light up crap they could sell...

Hawg G

Yeah, ignore. I'd never used it and forgot the name. And yes, they disappear (unfortunately only from your view...)

But you left before telling me what science proves watching fireworks can spread Covid, or how having two parties on a ride vehicle will cause them all to get Covid. Or the science proving we’re going to have a second, worse wave.

Why, oh why did you leave me? I’m so lonely...

Dan Deesnee

My wife and I are looking forward to experiencing some Disney time in the evenings not in the parks. We typically go from open to close every single day.

Should be interesting. Going to try eating at a few resort restaurants we haven't been to and spending a little extra time in Disney springs.

Flew out to California this week and the flight both there and back was packed. Just about everywhere I went to seem to be pretty crowded.

Things might get back to normal a little sooner than we think. For Disney's sake I hope so.

Ldno

I have a trip in 60 days but I must have spent this past evening seeing and reading how scientists and doctors are warning of a bigger spike because of upcoming winter season, more than anything Fauci is cautioning now that bars and dining restaurants are causing spikes, so now they are considering another shut down to bars and sit in/restaurants, nothings set in stone from what i read, but as I see Disney news this week, everything’s been favorable for the upcoming trip, savi’s reopening, mini xmas decorations, I’m hoping by the time I fly out(omgggg tickets are dirt cheap!!!) and the magic your way pricing, Things will be back to the new normal I hope... We will see

Still in the back of mind i am worried now that they upgraded hurricane season to Hyper season😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

but at the end of day I feel by the time I fly the hours will be back to normal, maybe parades, i could do away with fireworks, but the main reason I get suckered to go in at the parks is for that sweet, sweet merch! 😥

JoeCamel

I have a trip in 60 days but I must have spent this past evening seeing and reading how scientists and doctors are warning of a bigger spike because of upcoming winter season, more than anything Fauci is cautioning now that bars and dining restaurants are causing spikes, so now they are considering another shut down to bars and sit in/restaurants, nothings set in stone from what i read, but as I see Disney news this week, everything’s been favorable for the upcoming trip, savi’s reopening, mini xmas decorations, I’m hoping by the time I fly out(omgggg tickets are dirt cheap!!!) and the magic your way pricing, Things will be back to the new normal I hope... We will see

Still in the back of mind i am worried now that they upgraded hurricane season to Hyper season😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

but at the end of day I feel by the time I fly the hours will be back to normal, maybe parades, i could do away with fireworks, but the main reason I get suckered to go in at the parks is for that sweet, sweet merch! 😥
And in breaking news Florida will allow bars to open with limited operation Monday. Should be ripe and done just in time for your trip.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I have something booked in 50 days...

...it’s not happening. It would take divine intervention...which means the chances are nil.
And in breaking news Florida will allow bars to open with limited operation Monday. Should be ripe and done just in time for your trip.
Yep...early summer tactics in a more ripe virus season...should work out great...again

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Anyone else feel like they may extend MK hours to 8 or so for Christmas? They could probably pay for it with all the light up crap they could sell...
I think it’s possible. If the demand goes up there could be a holiday bump which could lead to increased hours, at least back to summer hours and MK open to 7 or maybe even 8. I wouldn’t count on anything more. It’s dark by shortly after 5 after daylight savings so that would give us 2 to 3 hours of darkness. As the CFO said in her speech yesterday they don’t expect to have more than half their hotel rooms open any time soon. Right now the crowds they are getting on weekends is heavily skewed towards locals and AP holders. They need more people to be willing to fly in to get a meaningful bump in attendance and that’s just not happening now. The FL case trend is/was looking good, but it seems to have plateaued at a level too high to get off of the travel quarantine list. As Christine McCarthy reiterated again yesterday, the spike in cases in July caused a negative impact on park attendance, specifically people who chose not to fly to FL. That needs to change to get park hours back up.

Tha Realest

Whose science? There is no single opinion on the "science".

"It's science - BOOM!" is an intellectually vacuous refusal to engage with others or address the attendant social ills that result from our response to this virus. The "science" on the pathology of this virus is changing, as are treatment recommendations. But there are numerous public policy decisions that can't be viewed solely through the prism of the epidemiology (e.g., return to schools, which businesses are essential, which public outdoors activity like protests or sports are deemed okay) and some of those who take differing views on the public policy decisions throw up their hand and yell "SCIENCE!" We have a local elected official who took to social media to criticize elementary school kids for playing maskless in a park but has been very supportive of large protests. Go figure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom