Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

legwand77

Also the travel restrictions are really not that big of a deal, outside PA NY and NJ, where you have a two week quarantine upon return. VT you have a 7 day and test. NH it is only asked that you quarantine for 14 days.

The other 4 states CT, MA, RI, ME all you need is a negative test or with some even just say you have had one prior to return and no quarantine.

Overall not as big of an issue as it is made out to be.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wasn't talking about just Disney. They reopened when Florida was near it's peak in daily cases, ever since reopening cases have continued to go down.

People want to talk about how terrible it is that so many are losing their jobs and livelihoods while also thinking that we should keep these economically destructive restrictions in place. Florida reduced restrictions and cases continue to drop.

If anyone cares about keeping people employed, then news like stadiums fully reopening should be applauded. Theme parks reopened a few months ago, people are mostly ignoring social distancing when not in lines (I was just in WDW for 6 days, in a park open to close), and yet, again, cases are going down.
Opening everything with no restrictions doesn‘t automatically bring back all the business. People need to want to go out to eat and go to theme parks and go shopping and what helps that is a lower case load not more spread. You have to look at it from the prospective of the masses, not your personal view. If people don’t feel safe or comfortable they aren’t going to show up. Theme parks are open with capacity limits, mask requirements and distancing. Sitting shoulder to shoulder in a packed stadium with no capacity limits, no distancing and mask rules that will likely be next to impossible to enforce when the stadium is packed is a far cry from WDW today (which I agree is successfully open).

They already are below the required positivity rate (10%) to get off of the travel restriction list, they just haven't been removed for whatever reason. The tri-state area released guidelines saying any state with a +10% positivity rate would be on the restricted list. Florida is hovering around 5% and has been below 10% for well over a month.
They haven’t hit the threshold for cases. It’s both cases and percent positive. The metric hasn’t changed since it was first imposed.
The other side of your IF is the reason it will help Disney. Also there is a chance in the current testing environment Florida will never move below the requirements to be off the travel restriction of the few NE states. Florida might be hitting the floor of positive tests.
We have been through this too many times. When you add in international guests and the “few“ states its a pretty significant chunk of WDWs normal business (over 1/3 of regular visitors). They need tourists to return to get back to making money and get workers back to work. If FL can’t get below the threshold then thats bad news for WDW, which was my original statement. We just disagree on whether opening stadiums and everything else without restrictions will result in more cases. If it does, that’s bad news for WDW.

legwand77

They already are below the required positivity rate (10%) to get off of the travel restriction list, they just haven't been removed for whatever reason. The tri-state area released guidelines saying any state with a +10% positivity rate would be on the restricted list. Florida is hovering around 5% and has been below 10% for well over a month.
Many of those states are also using the 10/100,000 positive cases as well

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Also the travel restrictions are really not that big of a deal, outside PA NY and NJ, where you have a two week quarantine upon return. VT you have a 7 day and test. NH it is only asked that you quarantine for 14 days.

The other 4 states CT, MA, RI, ME all you need is a negative test or with some even just say you have had one prior to return and no quarantine.

Overall not as big of an issue as it is made out to be.
Those states are close to 20% of the US population or about 1/3 of the population East of the Mississippi (WDW primary draw due to DLR out west) and those are a lot of states that are key demographics for WDW as well. When you factor in that 20% of WDW visitors are already international so blocked from coming it’s a big deal.

Dan Deesnee

Back on topic. I really am hopeful that for my November trip they push BACK the opening time and also push back the closing time.

I find it hard to understand why Disney would open the parks in the early/mid morning hours then close them right as evening is settling in. On my trip, it was a mad rush to the Downtown Disney transportation to get dinner and shop. I think it makes much more sense, for example, to open Epcot at noon and close it at 9, open MK at 10-11 and close it at 8-9. It would encourage people to stay till dinner, eat, and shop on their way out.

legwand77

Opening everything with no restrictions doesn‘t automatically bring back all the business. People need to want to go out to eat and go to theme parks and go shopping and what helps that is a lower case load not more spread. You have to look at it from the prospective of the masses, not your personal view. If people don’t feel safe or comfortable they aren’t going to show up. Theme parks are open with capacity limits, mask requirements and distancing. Sitting shoulder to shoulder in a packed stadium with no capacity limits, no distancing and mask rules that will likely be next to impossible to enforce when the stadium is packed is a far cry from WDW today (which I agree is successfully open).

They haven’t hit the threshold for cases. It’s both cases and percent positive. The metric hasn’t changed since it was first imposed.

We have been through this too many times. When you add in international guests and the “few“ states its a pretty significant chunk of WDWs normal business (over 1/3 of regular visitors). They need tourists to return to get back to making money and get workers back to work. If FL can’t get below the threshold then thats bad news for WDW, which was my original statement. We just disagree on whether opening stadiums and everything else without restrictions will result in more cases. If it does, that’s bad news for WDW.

I agree that international is a significant chunk , but not the three states of NY, NJ, and PA. with the exception of Jersey week(s) ;)

The demand is interesting , I have traveled a significant amount over the past few months, it definitely varies by geographic area. I have been in full restaurants/bars with no masks, with no social distancing. (tests are still low in that region after spiking a bit) and also been in strict lockdown locations no indoor dining etc.(tests have shot up there) Been to to Disney multiple times etc.

The areas where people are 'afraid to go out" like you say are the strict lock down areas. This has generally been regardless if the case numbers are high/low etc, or had been in the past.

If some saw how some areas have been living with little to no social distancing or even masks they would be utterly shocked. This is not just rural areas, some are even large cities. Only time you see masks in these areas are at the corporate stores , walmart etc. that require mask nationwide.

Not saying don't wear a mask (I do when it is required, can't physically distance etc.) or don't social distance , it is just an fascinating to see the different ways areas and cities are actually living.

Lilofan

Back on topic. I really am hopeful that for my November trip they push BACK the opening time and also push back the closing time.

I find it hard to understand why Disney would open the parks in the early/mid morning hours then close them right as evening is settling in. On my trip, it was a mad rush to the Downtown Disney transportation to get dinner and shop. I think it makes much more sense, for example, to open Epcot at noon and close it at 9, open MK at 10-11 and close it at 8-9. It would encourage people to stay till dinner, eat, and shop on their way out.
MK opening at 10-11 will never fly with kids and families wanting to go there earlier in the morning.

TrainsOfDisney

Epcot seems the most odd to me. Allow park hopping to Epcot and at least do something on the water. If not a full fireworks shows, maybe the same mini show repeated 4 times from 8-9 pm?

legwand77

Those states are close to 20% of the US population or about 1/3 of the population East of the Mississippi (WDW primary draw due to DLR out west) and those are a lot of states that are key demographics for WDW as well. When you factor in that 20% of WDW visitors are already international so blocked from coming it’s a big deal.
Still think you are skewing a bit high on those numbers , also DLR is still closed, either way the fear and concerns are the hold back more that the restrictions and they will most likely be lifted in the next month or so.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree that international is a significant chunk , but not the three states of NY, NJ, and PA. with the exception of Jersey week(s) ;)

The demand is interesting , I have traveled a significant amount over the past few months, it definitely varies by geographic area. I have been in full restaurants/bars with no masks, with no social distancing. (tests are still low in that region after spiking a bit) and also been in strict lockdown locations no indoor dining etc.(tests have shot up there) Been to to Disney multiple times etc.

The areas where people are 'afraid to go out" like you say are the strict lock down areas. This has generally been regardless if the case numbers are high/low etc, or had been in the past.

If some saw how some areas have been living with little to no social distancing or even masks they would be utterly shocked. This is not just rural areas, some are even large cities. Only time you see masks in these areas are at the corporate stores , walmart etc. that require mask nationwide.

Not saying don't wear a mask (I do when it is required, can't physically distance etc.) or don't social distance , it is just an fascinating to see the different ways areas and cities are actually living.
It’s 7 states not 3 and the numbers are what they are. It’s not an immaterial portion of their guest base.
Still think you are skewing a bit high on those numbers , also DLR is still closed, either way the fear and concerns are the hold back more that the restrictions and they will most likely be lifted in the next month or so.
What’s skewed. WDW primarily draws domestic crowds from the East coast. Not saying there isn‘t cross over. I went to DLR last summer, just that the majority of visitors are from East of the Mississippi and throw in TX. When you take into account the populations of the 7 states you listed it’s well north of 50M people and when you factor in the 20% lost from international guests who also can’t get there it’s over 1/3 of the normal possible visitors and the domestic guests are in a key demographic for WDW. States like NY, NJ, MA and PA have large populations and higher income families who are in tje key demographic for WDW. It’s a big deal for them.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Epcot seems the most odd to me. Allow park hopping to Epcot and at least do something on the water. If not a full fireworks shows, maybe the same mini show repeated 4 times from 8-9 pm?
I don’t know about the show but I’m surprised they don’t allow hopping to EPCOt for dinner. It’s a huge park although a big construction zone in the front half. Maybe they are throwing a bone to the Disney Springs vendors hoping they don’t go under or it could be cost considerations having to run a lot of extra buses.

legwand77

True. Maybe just volume of vendors is higher at DS. Lots of rent to lose. I am surprised they don’t just at least open WS at night and shut the front half of the park down. Seems like a no brainer to turn a quick profit.
Considering WS is pretty much the same as Disney Springs with a cover charge

legwand77

Yeah...You might want to revise that statement.

10/4 1384
10/5 2280
10/6 2519
10/7 3296 (This is when you made that statement BTW.)
leaving out signnificant context, the number of tests run have pretty much gone up the same rate, 10/7 was the most test run in over two weeks. Test positivity has pretty much been flat for the past month.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
leaving out signnificant context, the number of tests run have pretty much gone up the same rate, 10/7 was the most test run in over two weeks. Test positivity has pretty much been flat for the past month.
Positive is positive. If the percent positive is constant but positives go up that means there’s more infection in the community. If the increase in positive tests was the result of increased testing alone then percent positive would be falling.

Dan Deesnee

Positive is positive. If the percent positive is constant but positives go up that means there’s more infection in the community. If the increase in positive tests was the result of increased testing alone then percent positive would be falling.

And the percent positive has stayed relatively steady and well below 10%.

I don't get why some people seem hell bent on things never getting better.

I tried to get this back on topic. You know, about operating hours. Let me know if anyone wants to speculate about that. I'm done arguing over covid.

DisneyDebRob

And the percent positive has stayed relatively steady and well below 10%.

I don't get why some people seem hell bent on things never getting better.

I tried to get this back on topic. You know, about operating hours. Let me know if anyone wants to speculate about that. I'm done arguing over covid.
I’ll bite.
To get back to hours being extended, you need the people. As GoofGoof has tried to explain, you need people. Actually you need people that want to feel safe.
I know Disney is doing what they can, and from most reports, people mostly feel ok. Except for some recent reports it seems to have been that way. Feeling ok is not enough for extended hours. With international travel cut off..with PA,NJ, and NY, the three biggest states of people that go to Disney not traveling, hour’s aren’t going to increase because locals or someone that is going from another state not mentioned wants longer hours.
When I bought into DVC, back in 2004, my host who I still am in contact with told me that those 3 states have always drawn the most people to WDW, and has been that way since opening. Cut them out, all international travel, and people even locals that don’t feel safe aren’t going to go.
I tried to get it back on topic but as you can see it’s really tough to do with the Covid thing.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom