Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They already have our money, and if they sell a standard ticket they can sell the park twice.

Also, I find it hilarious that we finally have a fall with no MNSSHP and they're still closing MK at 6 🤣
I think the problem is they don’t feel like they have ENOUGH of your money. That’s Iger. Aps are “takers” now.

One thing I can say about Eisner...he never thought that way.

The real interesting thing is they have near zero out of state travel/demand...so limiting the AP entries seems more “insidious” to me

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They already have our money, and if they sell a standard ticket they can sell the park twice.

Also, I find it hilarious that we finally have a fall with no MNSSHP and they're still closing MK at 6 🤣
And I’m sure the reason why they’re closing at 6 is the refunded Halloween tickets. Grumpy face all around

Last edited:

Thelazer

I am always amazed every day... that Disney thinks the answer to there problems is to just outright pretend that locals and AP pass-holders don't want to visit the park... and somehow tourists will magically keep the place a float while there is no one coming (and likely won't be for the next 8 months)

You'd think someone would get fired over that line of thinking.

JohnD

I think we can all agree we want the pandemic to be over and things to get back to “normal”—whatever that looks like when this thing is over.

OTOH, when else are you going to have an opportunity to go to a park with 50% capacity , no FP+and the ability to go on almost every attraction with minimal wait times. With that kind of environment is it any wonder Disney is cutting back hours. Guests visits are wrapping up approx 1-2 hours prior to close because they are getting everything done they want to get in. Why keep the parks open, then? Of course, part also has to do with people not traveling so of course hours will be adjusted based on resort reservation numbers.

So, I’m going to take advantage of this rare time of low crowds while it’s available.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am always amazed every day... that Disney thinks the answer to there problems is to just outright pretend that locals and AP pass-holders don't want to visit the park... and somehow tourists will magically keep the place a float while there is no one coming (and likely won't be for the next 8 months)

Tourists don’t “keep the place afloat”...they provide damn near all the rich, ripe profits to be had.

The approach to locals and APs so far is “intriguing”
Since reopening...my spidersense is tingling

...it’s either that...or I have gas? 🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think we can all agree we want the pandemic to be over and things to get back to “normal”—whatever that looks like when this thing is over.

OTOH, when else are you going to have an opportunity to go to a park with 50% capacity , no FP+and the ability to go on almost every attraction with minimal wait times. With that kind of environment is it any wonder Disney is cutting back hours. Guests visits are wrapping up approx 1-2 hours prior to close because they are getting everything done they want to get in. Why keep the parks open, then? Of course, part also has to do with people not traveling so of course hours will be adjusted based on resort reservation numbers.

So, I’m going to take advantage of this rare time of low capacity while it’s available.
The reduction of hours is straight to limit costs.

With far less people...they are moving way less Merch. They’re bleeding money. I don’t have to be the corporate accountant to guarantee that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Tingling, as if to say it's almost like they WANT the park to fail and close up..... ?
My fears?
1. Yes...they want to be closed (I’m on record with that opinion and I know many hiding in the weeds have been tipped off to that)
2. They want to kill the passes...there has been off and on buzz around that for at least 5 years. Nothing mainstream though...hints and whispers

JohnD

The reduction of hours is straight to limit costs.

With far less people...they are moving way less Merch. They’re bleeding money. I don’t have to be the corporate accountant to guarantee that.

I agree with that. If wait times are down and you get everything in 1-2 hours before close, WDW is bleeding money keeping the parks open. As the recent economic report showed, profits were down 85%. So if they’re going to reopen they need to manage expected income (guests’ spending) with costs (running WDW). So, I can’t blame them. For me, I’ll enjoy the parks while there are fewer guests.

Just remember, “normal” is high crowds almost every day and long standby lines which necessitates longer hours for guests to visit attractions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree with that. If wait times are down and you get everything in 1-2 hours before close, WDW is bleeding money keeping the parks open. As the recent economic report showed, profits were down 85%. So if they’re going to reopen they need to manage expected income (guests’ spending) with costs (running WDW). So, I can’t blame them. For me, I’ll enjoy the parks while there are fewer guests.

Just remember, “normal” is high crowds almost every day and long standby lines which necessitates longer hours for guests to visit attractions.
I believe that report - laughably - was revenues were down 85% but profits were “up” a small percentage

...I’ve also been laughing for 4 days 😂

crawale

This is a smart move. Given the lack of crowds, there really is no reason for the parks to be open past 6 o'clock anyway. And no, there is no reason to reduce prices. I swear most of y'all are so cheap. By that logic, I should demand my local grocery store reduce prices since they're now open from 7 am-8 pm and not from 6 am-10 pm like they were before the pandemic. Get a grip 🤣🤣🤣
Actually some of us like to dine in the park at dinner time rather than late lunch. At MK you'd need to eat around 5pm to make it back to your hotel on the transport.

SoFloMagic

By that logic, I should demand my local grocery store reduce prices since they're now open from 7 am-8 pm and not from 6 am-10 pm like they were before the pandemic. Get a grip 🤣🤣🤣
Um. You don't pay by the hour at the grocery store.

But if they started selling 6-packs of beer with only 5 bottles or pounds of beef with only 12 ounces I bet people would be upset.

Touchdown

This is a smart move. Given the lack of crowds, there really is no reason for the parks to be open past 6 o'clock anyway. And no, there is no reason to reduce prices. I swear most of y'all are so cheap. By that logic, I should demand my local grocery store reduce prices since they're now open from 7 am-8 pm and not from 6 am-10 pm like they were before the pandemic. Get a grip 🤣🤣🤣

My grocery store hasn’t stopped selling items though here’s a partial list of what Disney has stopped showing With no replacements:
-Festival of the Lion King
-Finding Nemo the Musical
-Rivers of Life
-Voyage of the Little Mermaid
-Frozen Sing a Long
-Fantasmic
-Star Wars Galactic Spectacular
-Epcot Forever
-Castle Show
-Festival of Fantasy Parade
-Happily Ever After
-Once Upon a Time

I’m also not required to make reservations to go to my grocery store and then only allowed to visit one department per day. This is a pathetic park experience and something I refuse to support.

However, I don’t feel I’ve been robbed of my AP value as I did enough trips prior to this that I feel I got my value out of everything but the waterparks (one visit to TL only)

ParentsOf4

I'm reposting something I wrote on a different thread.

Below are some photo's from my son's trip July 19-23 (Sunday to Thursday).

Multiple headliner rides were walk-on. He experienced Flights of Passage 5 times (was even allowed to cut through the FP+ line at one point), Smuggler's Run 5 times, Test Track 3 times, Space Mountain 5 times, Rock n Roller Coaster 5 times, Expedition Everest 5 times. For most, it was a matter of his group simply getting bored with the attraction and deciding to move on.

Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Train was the longest line, followed by Slinky Dog Dash. (This last because it was down for most of the day.)

Crowds were light throughout the trip, with Disney Hollywood Studios feeling the most crowded, by far.

As his photos show, it was possible to encounter moments of modest crowds but also see the parks nearly empty, with many of his contrasting photos taken within an hour of each other.

These give you a sense of what it was like for my son during his weekday trip in mid-July. This is what Disney is dealing with at the moment. Just imagine what September is going to be like.

Epcot Sunday Evening:

Epcot July 2020.jpg

Bridge Leaving Pandora Monday Morning:

Bridge to Pandora Midday Monday.jpg

Leaving Animal Kingdom Monday at 5:30 PM:

Leaving Animal Kingdom after 5 PM Monday.jpg

Magic Kingdom Tuesday Opening:

Magic Kingdom Opening Tuesday.jpg

Walkway To Tomorrowland Tuesday Noon:

Walkway to Tomorrowland Noon Tuesday.jpg

Waiting for Rise Of The Resistance Wednesday at 1 PM:

Waiting for Rise of the Resistance Wednesday Midday.jpg

Galaxy's Edge 1 Hour Later:

Galaxy's Edge Midday Wednesday.jpg

Disney's Hollywood Studios Wednesday Afternoon:

Disney Hollywood Studios Wednesday Afternoon.jpg

One of the more crowded images of Disney's Hollywood Studios (according to my son):

One of the more crowded scenes at DHS.jpg

Mrtko

I think you are right on point here. Disney at the top expected people to be waiting in line to visit the parks. They admitted they were surprised at the low turnout. I think they will be surprised when demand does not return quickly. They may be surprised when the movies don't do as well when theaters reopen and how sports are not as popular as before. I am not sure the full impact of this virus has been realized and how it has changed people's thinking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom