Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Looks like Florida is in some trouble with travel possibly being restricted should be interesting to see what the President does
Not good news for Disney. I don’t think they will go as far as attempt to restrict travel to/from FL or any other place with an uptick in cases particularly from the variants but it’s much more possible the CDC puts out guidlines recommending people not travel to those places and names them specifically. Could be a blow to tourism and specifically WDW even if some people ignore the recommendation. Not everyone will ignore it. Interesting to see how it plays out.

legwand77

Not good news for Disney. I don’t think they will go as far as attempt to restrict travel to/from FL or any other place with an uptick in cases particularly from the variants but it’s much more possible the CDC puts out guidlines recommending people not travel to those places and names them specifically. Could be a blow to tourism and specifically WDW even if some people ignore the recommendation. Not everyone will ignore it. Interesting to see how it plays out.
It will go nowhere. Notice how thin the sources are in that article. Cases dropping like a rock will drive more people.

Miss Bella

It will go nowhere. Notice how thin the sources are in that article. Cases dropping like a rock will drive more people.
If it does scare people off from going to Florida maybe I'll make my third trip during this pandemic. I actually enjoy this WDW more than the over crowded 2019 version.

I still think we might have at least one more surge before this is over. I have nothing scientific to base it on. It's just a gut feeling. Things just keep getting weirder and every time I think the world couldn't get any weirder it does.

legwand77

If it does scare people off from going to Florida maybe I'll make my third trip during this pandemic. I actually enjoy this WDW more than the over crowded 2019 version.

I still think we might have at least one more surge before this is over. I have nothing scientific to base it on. It's just a gut feeling. Things just keep getting weirder and every time I think the world couldn't get any weirder it does.
ha, very true, your gut feeling just as good as some the "science" predictions lately.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Low crowds may be nice for us but it doesn’t help Disney as a company or the employees out of work. Not saying people shouldn’t enjoy the lower crowds now and what may come as a result of this, but it’s not good overall.

There definitely could be another wave for this pandemic. The hope is enough people get vaccinated that it’s avoided, but if the vaccine rollout isn’t fast enough it’s likely another wave ramps up sometime in Spring or even Summer. I am very hopeful that won’t happen and enough people will take the vaccine to make this wave that’s currently slowing down the last one (at least in the US).

The variants do add a level of uncertainty to the whole equation and that’s why there’s so much focus specifically on the spread of variants. So far the variant that’s spreading wild in FL is the UK one and that variant is still susceptible to the vaccines so not as bad as the S African one. I don’t think there will be any travel bans put in place on domestic travel now, but if the S African variant takes hold somewhere in the US I think that could change.

GimpYancIent

Low crowds may be nice for us but it doesn’t help Disney as a company or the employees out of work. Not saying people shouldn’t enjoy the lower crowds now and what may come as a result of this, but it’s not good overall.

There definitely could be another wave for this pandemic. The hope is enough people get vaccinated that it’s avoided, but if the vaccine rollout isn’t fast enough it’s likely another wave ramps up sometime in Spring or even Summer. I am very hopeful that won’t happen and enough people will take the vaccine to make this wave that’s currently slowing down the last one (at least in the US).

The variants do add a level of uncertainty to the whole equation and that’s why there’s so much focus specifically on the spread of variants. So far the variant that’s spreading wild in FL is the UK one and that variant is still susceptible to the vaccines so not as bad as the S African one. I don’t think there will be any travel bans put in place on domestic travel now, but if the S African variant takes hold somewhere in the US I think that could change.
So the spin changes again. From stopping the spread, to flattening the curve, reducing the infection rate and now "if" a variant appears! The fear mongers are enjoying themselves. The vaccines, masks, distancing and common sense are working while all the travel bans and lock downs have not. I guess the reality T.V., manufactured drama has a become a media staple. Truth, facts and statistics are boring.

legwand77

Stock at record high. Overall Disney is fine, they will ride this out.

Variant focus in the media is more fear than science. How many cases of the UK variant is "spreading like wildfire" in Florida. Only 350 cases in the last month or so, out of 250K cases in a month. Florida is only leading because the are sequencing it more than other states. Yes there will be a lot more, but as you said vaccine works against it. Have you seen the south African case numbers and how they are trending, where the S. African variant is and they have no vaccine for it, might want to check.

Miss Bella

The crowds seemed similar to 2010-2012 levels. I love not having to worry about fast passes.

When Disney opens up all their resorts maybe we'll start seeing some good discounts to lure people back to staying on site. The Summer resort prices seem out of line with everything else going on, but what do I know the governments handing out a lot of money right now. Strange times.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So the spin changes again. From stopping the spread, to flattening the curve, reducing the infection rate and now "if" a variant appears! The fear mongers are enjoying themselves. The vaccines, masks, distancing and common sense are working while all the travel bans and lock downs have not. I guess the reality T.V., manufactured drama has a become a media staple. Truth, facts and statistics are boring.
I don’t think it’s fear mongering across the board. The CDC just recently announced that the quarantine requirements are being relaxed for anyone who was vaccinated. Not a move that would be done to monger fear. The focus is still on vaccines, masks, distancing and common sense. That never changed. The truth of the matter and the facts support that there are more contagious variants and the hope and intent is to stop them from becoming more prevalent here. That’s not reality TV or manufactured drama. We have international travel restrictions on flights from the places that have these variants already.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Stock at record high. Overall Disney is fine, they will ride this out.

Variant focus in the media is more fear than science. How many cases of the UK variant is "spreading like wildfire" in Florida. Only 350 cases in the last month or so, out of 250K cases in a month. Florida is only leading because the are sequencing it more than other states. Yes there will be a lot more, but as you said vaccine works against it. Have you seen the south African case numbers and how they are trending, where the S. African variant is and they have no vaccine for it, might want to check.
The stock is fine and I never said they were going bankrupt or out of business if crowds don‘t return right now. That doesn’t change the statement that limiting the number of people coming to WDW is bad for their business.

As far as the variant goes, isn’t that the point? Do something preventative now to stop it from spreading everywhere. We tried the “ignore the virus” approach with downplay and conspiracy theories last year and that didn’t work so well. I don‘t see how we can simply ignore the risk of these variants (especially the S African one) because cases are down in S Africa. Very short sighted and foolish. We just need to stick to the basic plan. Continue mitigation efforts, vaccinate everyone and move on with life. If part of the short term mitigation efforts includes not visiting certain areas to avoid national spread of variants than so be it. It’s only being discussed right now anyway. It’s smart to start thinking about potential solutions before the problems are too far along to stop them.

As far as WDW is concerned I don’t think any types of meaningful crowds will be back until the summer anyway when the majority of people will be vaccinated so any temporary travel restrictions or CDC recommendations now aren’t going to be in place still by the summer. It’s still a potential hit to already low crowds, but the locals can still go as well as anyone who ignores a potential recommendation. Disney will certainly have no part in enforcing any sort of travel restrictions.

GimpYancIent

I don’t think it’s fear mongering across the board. The CDC just recently announced that the quarantine requirements are being relaxed for anyone who was vaccinated. Not a move that would be done to monger fear. The focus is still on vaccines, masks, distancing and common sense. That never changed. The truth of the matter and the facts support that there are more contagious variants and the hope and intent is to stop them from becoming more prevalent here. That’s not reality TV or manufactured drama. We have international travel restrictions on flights from the places that have these variants already.
Absolutely true "We have international travel restrictions on flights from places that have these variants already." Fact, nothings has been stopped. "More prevalent here" quite clearly means they are here already. The spin needs to go and media need to accept the fact reality, fact and truth can be boring.

legwand77

The "relaxation" of quarantine is only 3 months for vaccinated people, after three months must quarantine.

Media is all about the variants, mutations, which is what virus do all the time, nothing new. pick a strain any a strain. It is fear of possbility that every Dinsey site pushed/posted, yesterday. Which was much ado about nothing. The White house has now even refuted it.

I don‘t see how we can simply ignore the risk of these variants (especially the S African one) because cases are down in S Africa. Very short sighted and foolish.

Foolish? Cases have dropped dramatically in S.A. the past month not just down and without vaccine, pretty significant data point if you ask me, especially when talking about adding new restrictions. To ignore that would be foolish

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Absolutely true "We have international travel restrictions on flights from places that have these variants already." Fact, nothings has been stopped. "More prevalent here" quite clearly means they are here already. The spin needs to go and media need to accept the fact reality, fact and truth can be boring.
How do we know the international flight restrictions are doing nothing? Nobody is saying or has said from the beginning of this that covid restrictions are absolutes...do this and cases go to zero. It’s all about reducing. If we still allowed flights in from those places would the variant be more prevalent? Seems very likely. So if your only criteria is absolute protection than yes, no point doing it. Also no point in wearing a mask, distancing, washing your hands or getting vaccinated. None of those things are absolute either.
Foolish? Cases have dropped dramatically in S.A. the past month not just down and without vaccine, pretty significant data point if you ask me, especially when talking about adding new restrictions. To ignore that would be foolish
Foolish to say the variants are no big deal because cases are down in S Africa compared to some previous level. It’s the same tired spinning of statistics. What you or I think is not relevant anyway. If there are future attempts to limit travel, especially to hotspots with higher levels of these variants, it’s going to impact travel and tourism. They don’t need to ban travel outright to have an impact.

Rich Brownn

The "relaxation" of quarantine is only 3 months for vaccinated people, after three months must quarantine.

Media is all about the variants, mutations, which is what virus do all the time, nothing new. pick a strain any a strain. It is fear of possbility that every Dinsey site pushed/posted, yesterday. Which was much ado about nothing. The White house has now even refuted it.

Don't forget we're coming off the wave of holiday infections from people who spent Xmas and NYE with family and friends.

Miss Bella

How do we know the international flight restrictions are doing nothing? Nobody is saying or has said from the beginning of this that covid restrictions are absolutes...do this and cases go to zero. It’s all about reducing. If we still allowed flights in from those places would the variant be more prevalent? Seems very likely. So if your only criteria is absolute protection than yes, no point doing it. Also no point in wearing a mask, distancing, washing your hands or getting vaccinated. None of those things are absolute either.

Foolish to say the variants are no big deal because cases are down in S Africa compared to some previous level. It’s the same tired spinning of statistics. What you or I think is not relevant anyway. If there are future attempts to limit travel, especially to hotspots with higher levels of these variants, it’s going to impact travel and tourism. They don’t need to ban travel outright to have an impact.
I haven‘t talked to any healthcare managers or crisis recruiters that are certain this is over and that there won’t be another surge. Nobody knows what to think. These rapid increases an decreases of cases make hospital staffing a challenge to say the least.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I haven‘t talked to any healthcare managers or crisis recruiters that are certain this is over and that there won’t be another surge. Nobody knows what to think. These rapid increases an decreases of cases make hospital staffing a challenge to say the least.
I agree. Nobody knows. The hope is the vaccines kick in before the next wave. Without vaccines we almost certainly would have another wave. With them there’s a chance we don’t.

Miss Bella

I agree. Nobody knows. The hope is the vaccines kick in before the next wave. Without vaccines we almost certainly would have another wave. With them there’s a chance we don’t.
I can't speak for other states, but they did a good job of predicting the two surges in my state. The one thing they were off on was how fast the decrease was after the peak. It's led to some overstaffing issues. There are no predictions for a third surge, but they're not ruling it out either. It really depends on if the vaccine works or not.

I'm going to assume this next stimulus package includes money for healthcare staffing just in case. These crisis workers are getting a little spoiled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom