Walt Disney World: New Horizons

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Sorry, I didn’t see it when I first read it.

Technically, they did fix those during the 2016 refurbishment; albeit the Compies now use screens.
No worries.

Oh, really? I didn't know that. It's been so long since I last rode it.

Well if Wakanda couldn’t be added there’s also putting in either a Black Panther attraction were it was supposed to be a normal tour through Wakanda till Hydra attacks or a meet & greet for the Black Panther in the Africa section. You don’t have to though.
The thing is, I'm not sure if using Black Panther would violate the contract between Disney and Universal. Would it?

Okay, everybody, this is going to be a big one. I've always had a few ideas up my sleeve for a fifth park for Walt Disney World. And now, at last, I am going to share this wonderful new idea with you.

Everybody ready? Then let's "dive in"...

~ ~ ~
Ah, the sea... What is it about the sea that makes our minds race? Is it the thrill of racing across the waves? Or maybe just wondering what lies beneath the mellow blueness? Haven't we all wanted to swim like a fish, or pilot our own submarine? It's not for nothing that so many stories involve the sea, awakening new dreams for one and all. And as the sun rises on this new era in Walt Disney World history, we too, can explore the wonders beneath in a whole new way. All aboard for adventure, because now, I cordially invite you to join me as we explore Walt Disney World's long-awaited fifth gate...

Port Disney

tokyo_disneysea_007.jpg

"Come with us
to a world of discovery and imagination.
Where each discovery
begins with fairytale inspiration.
Come with us...

Cross the sea!
Let the stars chart our way!
May the waves be our guide!
On a dream we will glide,
we will glide...

Cross the sea..."

Imagination sets sail at Port Disney, the long-awaited fifth richly immersive park at Walt Disney World. An American cousin to Tokyo DisneySea, Port Disney is the place where the exotic ports of call we can only read about or see on the silver screen come to life. Attractions take inspiration from other parks, be they Disney or otherwise, brought to new heights with a unique approach. Classical concepts mix with newfangled experiments. Port Disney boasts many beloved Disney properties, plus exciting never-before-seen concepts. Family-friendly features appeal to the young, and the young-at-heart, while thrill rides draw in a wider audience. Elaborate details deliver big time, from the grandeur of the iconic Mt. Prometheus down to the humblest drinking fountain. Diverse, immersive and endlessly explorable, Port Disney is loaded with exhaustive creative detail at every turn. This is a fantastic "blue sky" offering which Walt himself would be proud to have near his final dream.

Guests to Port Disney enter through Novus Harbor, an inviting seaport featuring design influences from around the globe; courtesy of the current tenants of the harbor, S.E.A. -- the Society of Explorers and Adventurers. From there, the path leads to six other ports of call. New Orleans Bayou transports guests to the mysterious swamps of the American South, to the age of steamboats and swinging jazz. The spirit of adventure lives on in Discovery Bay, set around San Francisco in the days of the Gold Rush. In Alta Pueblo, the myths and legends of Spanish California bring a sense of heroism to the park. Pirates' Cove brings to life the Golden Age of Piracy, inviting one and all to try their hand at buccaneering. Dive into Atlantica, the fanciful locale that Ariel, otherwise known as "the little mermaid", calls home. Finally, explore the frigid, yet fun-filled, kingdom of Arendelle, that famous locale from the 2013 smash hit Frozen, brought to vivid new life. These disparate epochs are united by Mt. Prometheus, a massive volcano serving as the park's central icon and the -- no pun intended-- "peak" of Port Disney's artistry. Mt. Prometheus is massive, perhaps the single largest monument in all the resort. It is 189' tall, the same height as Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom.

LandUse1.jpg

Port Disney's location was tough to finalize. I scoured the forums for possible ideas, and in a thread specially made for 5th gate ideas, @spacemt354 suggested using the Reedy Creek Improvement District Comprehensive Plan, which details the extent to which land is sustainable enough so that it can be used for construction in Walt Disney World. The dark green marks unsustainable land, the light green marks semi-sustainable land, and the red marks sustainable land. Now, this is how they were able to get the land for Disney's Inventus all those years ago in Season Three of The Sorcerer's Apprentice. As such, I intend to utilize the same land Inventus uses.

This space, located to the right of the Magic Kingdom parking lot, as well as the old Walt Disney World Speedway, is big enough to accommodate a park, as well give it a perimeter for backstage activity. In addition, I intend to utilize a small chunk of the sustainable land to the right of this space for parking. The park's footprint is reasonably small, slightly above the footprint of Disney's Hollywood Studios (135 acres, which is 41 acres less than Tokyo DisneySea). Charming, we call it. Nonetheless, a careful arrangement of diverse, high-capacity attractions allows for crowd sizes comparable to the Magic Kingdom just a few miles north.

Ticket pricing and hours are consistent with the rest of the Walt Disney World Resort. And of course, this park will make full use of MyMagic+. Altogether, Port Disney combines the best of classical and modern Disney. Its focus on the ongoing fantasies of the 20th Century makes it an ideal complement to the nostalgia of the Magic Kingdom and Disney's Hollywoodland, the culture and maturity of EPCOT and the discovery of Disney's Animal Kingdom. Port Disney’s theme is vast and timeless, yet specific and unique. With a dedicated focus on detail and immersion, Port Disney is a shining new star in Imagineering's sorcerer's hat, and a proud sibling to its fellow parks.

~ ~ ~

Port Disney parking.png

Parking for Port Disney takes place on the small expansion pad near the bigger area reserved for the park, right nearby the entrance to Fort Wilderness. A road diverges from the road leading towards Fort Wilderness, with car parking splitting to the left and bus parking continuing northward till it reaches a rightward bend when it passes the Fort Wilderness entrance. The bus station is identical to that used for the Magic Kingdom, with three distinct loops each servicing a different resort or other area of the resort.

Among the car parking, the path then diverges again, towards one of two lots: the Little Mermaid Lot and the Finding Nemo Lot. Much like with the Magic Kingdom's Heroes Lot & Villains Lot, the sections of each of Port Disney's lots are named after certain characters. For the Little Mermaid Lot, we have Ariel, Eric, Sebastian, Flounder and Triton; and for the Finding Nemo Lot, we have Nemo, Marlin, Dory, Bruce and Gill. Be sure to remember where you parked!

Plus, since the area is rather small compared to the parking lots for the other parks, two parking garages have been built for each lot, thus picking up the slack and allowing for greater capacity. As with the Magic Kingdom, tram service goes in a loop, servicing each section. Both tram loops meet in the center, towards the park's Entrance Plaza.

tokyo_disneysea_001.jpg

Surrounded by palm trees, the Entrance Plaza is a thing of natural beauty, honoring the wild worlds of the ocean that this park will bring to life. Glistening waterfalls flank the entrance gates. Trees sway gently in the breeze. Tropical flowers are in full bloom. Here in this Entrance Plaza, our gaze is first held by the Aquasphere, one of the two major icons of Port Disney. From atop a fountain, a large model of our water planet spins gently about. In front of this sphere is a large granite slab with a golden plaque upon it. On this plaque reads the dedication for Port Disney, delivered on October 1st, 2046, 75 years to the day when the Magic Kingdom first opened...

"To all who come seeking adventure, welcome. Port Disney imbues all who enter with a spirit of curiosity and excitement. Here, all are invited to set sail for mysterious and exciting ports of call; lands of adventure, intrigue and romance. Port Disney is dedicated to all those who yearn to venture outside their comfort zone, and explore the unknown. May your adventures here be adventures worth remembering for years to come."

Directly behind the Aquasphere are the main gates. Sonorous music provides a medieval aura, as if you are stepping back in time. The main gates are almost Renaissance-esque in their design. Directly above the gates is a new stop for the Walt Disney World Monorail. The EPCOT loop for the monorail has been re-routed so that it can serve this new park, then take guests on to EPCOT. As such, the loop will now be referred to as the Port Disney/EPCOT Loop.

Well, let's not waste any more time. Let us pass through these gates and into a world the likes of which no Disney World guest has ever seen...

~ ~ ~

What do you guys think so far? Are you guys excited to see what magic Port Disney has in store? I know that last time I pitched this idea back in the "To Infinity and Beyond" thread, I only got as far as Mediterranean Harbor. This time, though, I fully intend to go through the whole park and showcase everything that it has to offer.

And by the way, in case you're wondering why I chose to begin the post with a Disney Cruise Line promo video, it's because I want that song to serve as the theme song for this particular park. In my ideas, each park at Walt Disney World has its own theme song. Magic Kingdom's would be "When You Wish Upon a Star", EPCOT's would be "Celebrate the Future Hand in Hand", Disney's Hollywoodland's would be "Hooray for Hollywood", Disney's Animal Kingdom's would be "Circle of Life", and Port Disney's would be "Cross the Sea", the song heard in the video. It's a real beautiful song, and it's a perfect way to ease into a world of adventure unlike anything Walt Disney World has ever seen before! Of course, I'm not sure if there's more to the song, but if there isn't, I'm sure it wouldn't take much to add more to it.

Stay tuned, everyone, because our journey through Port Disney is just beginning! Until the next post, please feel free to post any feedback or comments you may have -- it's all very much appreciated. I can't wait to share the rest of this park with you!

Last edited:

Suchomimus

Dive into Atlantica, the fanciful locale that Ariel, otherwise known as "the little mermaid", calls home. Finally, explore the frigid, yet fun-filled, kingdom of Arendelle, that famous locale from the 2013 smash hit Frozen, brought to vivid new life.
I would’ve thought that Frozen would take The Little Mermaid’s place here.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
It looks cool. As for the Black Panther in Animal Kingdom I put in a previous post when the theme park rights expires so it wouldn’t violate the agreement.
Oh. Well, maybe a meet-and-greet could work with the character, given that there's really no space left to work with.

I would’ve thought that Frozen would take The Little Mermaid’s place here.
In the words of @stitchcastle, "I have to say though that I think A Little Mermaid area and A Finding Nemo area can definitely co-exist what with Nemo focusing more on the realistic animal world vs.s TLM's more fantastical and mythological version."

For most of this land, I was inspired by the Novus Harbor concept that I helped create for Stanza II of The Sorcerer's Apprentice: ENDGAME earlier this year, so credit goes out to my teammates: @PerGronStudio, @Disney Dad 3000, @Pi on my Cake, @spacemt354, @Evilgidgit and @Brer Oswald. And if I'm forgetting anyone, please let me know and I'll come back and edit this post accordingly.

~ ~ ~

Novus Harbor

mediterranean_harbor_001.jpg

Serving as a counterpoint to Tokyo's Mediterranean Harbor, Novus Harbor is our gateway to a fantastic world of nautical adventure. And what better way to showcase adventure by having this land be themed as the headquarters of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers, otherwise known as S.E.A. According to the legend, S.E.A. was founded in 1538 in the quaint Italian village of Porto Paradiso by two bold adventurers.

h9hXJ4EPCg1eTKfW33uLBPzR1etWZSA2VFxVL1sQCIOB-y0yXiLM5xoJ6ksgnPiC8n_gWb0QK1VNogy3dHF3Kx6Bbf8SBQ6EGmEPXBNZ7u8IQoTfbdB4N1s1QJSb0lDuup7snxJ3jzk

The first was Professore Vincenzo Conoscenza. He grew up in a small agricultural village in Italy near the rolling hills of Tuscany. His father was a humble farm owner and his mother a housewife, and Vincenzo’s task was to tend to a flock of sheep, protecting them from the dangers that lurked in the wilderness. Vincenzo did his job well, but rather than spending his days watching sheep, he aspired for so much more. Vincenzo enjoyed reading anything he could get his hands on. Vincenzo must have read Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey at least 1000 times by his adulthood.

At the age of 18 and at the height of the Renaissance in Italy, Vincenzo left to apprentice under the great Leonardo da Vinci in Rome. Being exposed to some of the world’s greatest works while apprenticing, from the astrological studies and philosophies of the Far East including The Art of War by Sun Tzu, The Book of Rites by Confuscious, among others, to the legendary epics of Ancient Greece, to the religious texts of India and the Middle East. Having read and learned from every book in Rome's ever-expanding Library, Vincenzo ended his apprenticeship with da Vinci, instead, deciding to travel the world and learn from as many cultures and legends as possible. He traveled by camelback across the Sahara through Egypt to Morocco, visited the Byzantine Empire, traveled on the back of a mighty elephant through India, visited the empire of the Congo, traveled to China, Japan, and Russia, and then traveled through all of Europe, finally setting in to study at Oxford University. Studying to get his doctorate, he finally completed his studies and returned to Italy, settling down in a small canal village.

qv8nmK4IfERb9fVAU0dRb508msFWOJ5jTGQY1M0MdcfE1KBesRLtrRn9zsFdadqfBPGV__R6JB6wx_V7uN04OQnRK2W8p70mRtyFW0R6653eBESPLxddWL7CEAKXtOM2WTt8WcHU_W8

The second man was Eureka Idéa, a Greek explorer. Named not only for the famous exclamation of discovery coined by Archimedes, but also the Greek word for "idea", Eureka fell in love with adventuring at an early age, and explored the vast corners of the world, long before those other famous explorers did. He scaled Everest long before Edmund and Tenzing, he discovered North America long before Vespucci -- or even Columbus -- and he claimed the North Pole long before Amundsen. He happened to meet Vincenzo whilst he was traveling Greece, and the two became fast friends, going on many adventures together. However, when Vincenzo left for Oxford, Eureka remained in Greece.

Meanwhile, Vincenzo opened up a library in an old church building, hosting the largest collection in the known world, having collected books, scrolls, and other texts from all over the world. However, the prospect of the New World and its many riches in both gold, resources, and stories proved too much for Vincenzo that he teamed up with Eureka, and the duo approached some of the other remarkable people they met in their travels and founded an organization known as Società di esploratori e avventurieri, later to be translated to the Society of Explorers and Adventurers. Given that S.E.A. travels the world, it's obvious that Porto Paradiso is usually left empty, with members across the world traveling to find new adventures and new discoveries. As such, Vincenzo and Eureka have decided to come up with a second headquarters for the organization in the quaint European village of Novus Harbor. Today, Novus Harbor stands as a hub of science, innovation and a vibrant enthusiasm for knowledge and adventure.

emporio.jpg

Directly to the right of the entrance gates is the major gift shop of Port Disney, Emporio. The name is a little fancier than the usual Emporium, but the concept is the same—a large store near the main entrance that sells a general variety of park souvenirs. Plush toys, t-shirts, writing utensils, mugs, hats, and more are all here, all Disney-ized in one way or another. Emporio is held within an old storage house in the harbor. References from other S.E.A. members can be found, as if to say that many a member has passed through here -- beautiful carpets, unique bric-a-brac, mounted animal heads, etc.

But on the other side of the entrance gates is an old favorite brought back from the Extinct Attraction Graveyard. Let's just say it would fit right in with the S.E.A. theme of Novus Harbor.

AdventurersClubExterior.jpg

A decrepit old temple from days gone by marks the visage of the now-legendary Adventurers Club, in its triumphant "world re-premiere." In this kooky, topsy-turvy mish-mash of a theater, restaurant, pub and museum, we find the decorative likes of old photographs, trophy heads, tiki totems, acquired artifacts, lavish portraits, awards and trophies, tribal masks, ancient sarcophagi, bizarre fossils, accursed idols, and received - stolen or otherwise - "gifts" from countless adventures across the globe. Run by S.E.A., the club itself serves as a bit of refuge for intrepid adventurers, archaeologists and tourists alike, all in need of a little rest and recreation amid their travels thru the valiant oceans of Port Disney.

In the last post, did you notice the maroon building with a pathway leading towards it from the Entrance Plaza? That's because the Adventurers Club has two entrances, one leading directly from the Entrance Plaza, and one from Novus Harbor. I'm sure the return of the Adventurers Club would bring about humongous crowds, so the two entrances would be perfect. By day, the Adventurers Club functions as something of a walk-through, where you can explore the various relics and treasures contained therein. But when the clock strikes 7:00, the place livens up with all the fun and excitement it had when it was on Pleasure Island. As such, the nighttime Adventurers Club is completely free to get into, much like it was back at Downtown Disney. The only way to get into the nighttime Adventurers Club is through the front entrance, modeled after the original. In fact, it stays open later than the rest of the park, usually closing at 1:00 at the conclusion of the Hoopla (more on that later). By the way, although during the day, the Club is open for all ages, as a general note, children under the age of 18 are required to be accompanied by an adult at all times when at the Club after 7 p.m.

latest

Standing before the Novus Harbor entrance is a statue depicting the likeness of Merriweather Adam Pleasure, the S.E.A. member who founded the Adventurers Club. Mr. Pleasure, nicknamed "The Grand Funmeister" by those that knew him, was a "wise fool, mad visionary, scoundrel, scalawag, and seeker of enjoyment" that used wealth generated from industry and sailmaking to indulge his spirit of adventure and zest for life before he mysteriously disappeared at sea.

Born on November 18, 1873 in New South Frewsberg, Pennsylvania. Mr. Pleasure was the son of August W. Pleasure, a free-wheeling millionaire nicknamed "Gold Rush Gus", and Lydia LaMarr, a stage actress known as "The American Venus". In 1891, Pleasure rejected his father's offer to set him up in business, wanting to try and make it on his own. He lies about his age, brokers commodities on the New York Curb Exchange to make his first million and establishes the most advanced steel foundry in the world in Pittsburgh. In 1898, he would meet Isabella Domenico and after a three week courtship, they would marry and have two sons: Stewart (born in 1901) and Henry (born in 1905), with both sharing a birthday on the Fourth of July. A daughter, Merriam, was born six years after Henry, on July 3rd, 1911 -- although Pleasure changed her birthdate so that it would match that of her older brothers.

As mentioned before, Pleasure was a sailmaking tycoon, with the power station, sail making factory and canvas works fabrication plants going up in 1912 and starting full production by Christmas of that year. In 1917, to celebrate the end of World War I, Pleasure set off the "World's Largest Firecracker" and accidentally destroyed the remaining land link and turning the peninsula into an island, with Merriam coining the "Pleasure Island" name. On July 4, 1918, the family would move out of the showboat into a proper family home on the island. However, Isabella was feeling this new home had become cramped by Merriweather's extensive library and archeaological collections and in 1921, he would build the Adventurers Club to house said collection and entertain his fellow explorers and adventurers in what would become his personal S.E.A chapter. In 1937, Pleasure would give his wife an anniversary gift of an even larger home north of the island, which was eventually transformed into the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.

Merriweather and Merriam would disappear at sea aboard the ship "Dominoe" in 1941 during an expedition to the Antarctic, leaving the Island businesses to Henry and Stewart, who ran the business into the ground in the 1950s until Hurricane Connie destroyed much of the island in 1955. The Adventurers Club was sealed shut immediately after Merriweather's disappearance. Isabella would pass away in 1949 on Christmas Eve. Pleasure's legacy would eventually be revived when Disney "found" the island and redeveloped it into an entertainment district in the spirit of Merriweather's zest for life and adventure. Even now, although Pleasure Island is long-since gone, the members of S.E.A. have taken great care in making sure Pleasure's legacy lived on. Stewart and Henry were inducted into S.E.A., and they spent years upon years re-constructing the Adventurers Club, making sure to get every last detail right. Indeed, their efforts paid off. The Adventurers Club is exactly the way it was on Pleasure Island, with nothing out of place.

0SQf7Q7gb_J3b37isRPUQ-gRN0rkaHohkJnesPLTS-WuvyeTKCfzTt2qfmTO-OT8DyYIV_9X_BfmPUmPfZUKA67yUqKIXJEVod1aSVZcad5u9019cfelOXbFNwprrPkS8XbwvI-N

Greeted by Colonel Critchlow Suchbench, Club Glee Meister and retired officiate of the Royal Navy, we are invited to meander thru a sprawling complex of exhibits and displays, each named and themed for the various realms of adventure: the Zebra Mezzanine, the Main Salon, the Mask Room, the Treasure Room and the Library. A spectacular array of relics and artifacts allude to past adventures and treasure hunts, some successful, others, such as an expedition detailing a trip to Mount Everest proving anything but successful.

The Clubhouse Stage in the Library hosts vaudevillian melodramas and musical acts performed by a cast of oddball thespians, each built-in with their own colorful backstory.

• Pamelia Perkins: The fastidious Miss P., Club President, is usually available to greet visitors, to initiate new Club members and to try to keep things at the Club under control.
  • Otis T. Wren: Club Treasurer and ichthyologist of sorts, Otis is perhaps not really the adventurer he would like us to believe he is.
  • Graves: Loyal Club Butler, the formally attired Graves is usually around and about tending to the needs of the members.
  • The Maid: She often passes through the Main Salon with her feather duster, ready to keep all those old artifacts clean as a whistle.
  • Hathaway Browne: The aviator of the Club and unabashed ladies man, Hathaway cuts a striking figure as he dashes hither and yon.
  • Fletcher Hodges: The slightly off-center Club Curator, Fletcher is the voice of authority regarding the Clubs eclectic artifact collection.
  • Samantha Sterling: This daring adventuress seems to have just returned from safari, judging by her attire, and is always willing to share her stories of adventure with other Club members.
  • Madame Zarkov: A mysterious gypsy who makes rare appearances at the Club.
  • Emil Bleehall: Bumbling but lovable member of the Adventurers' Club. His innocent charm will keep you in stitches.
"Non-Thespian" residents of the Club include the Yakoose, a mounted animal head with rather charming wit; Babylonia, a talking stone head; Arnie and Claude, a pair of talking masks; Beezle, the genie; Fingers Zambezi, a haunted organ that plays itself; Jules Arronax, a new addition to the club, I've come to understand. He's a giant squid who lives in a tank above the bar. And last but not least, there's Marcel, an unknown man prancing about in an ape-suit, much to the dismay of management. Also, be sure to say hello to Nash the bartender and Dave the tech guy.

The shows the Club members vary throughout the night. Here's the usual line-up of shows in the course of a typical night at the Club... (It should be noted that all these shows, with the noted exceptions, take place in the Library.)

• Welcome Party: Samantha Sterling and Fletcher Hodges throw a welcome party to get the open house off to a good start.
  • Radio Broadcast: Otis and Pamelia lead a version of their weekly old-timey radio broadcast "Tales of the Adventurers Club", in which half of the cast is missing and must be replaced by audience members.
  • The Balderdash Cup Competition: This competition is for the Club member with the best adventure story of the year, which, as we all know is just balderdash.
  • The RadioThon: The club uses its radio broadcasting ability to attempt to raise $2,000 and save the club from losing its lease, finding some trouble along the way.
  • The New Member Induction Ceremony: Held in the Main Salon. Every night in the Adventurers Club is the night of their membership drive. The ceremony is performed 3 times throughout the night, hosted by different characters each time. There are three major components of the induction...
    • The Club Salute – This is where new adventurers learn the true meaning of the club's greeting, "Kungaloosh!", and the secret salute to accompany it. If you're curious, the salute goes like this:First, place the heel of your right hand just above your navel and wiggle it like a swimming fish. Then, raise that hand to your mouth and take a drink from an imaginary glass of the properly chilled adult beverage of your choice. Finally, raise your hand above your head and declare "Kungaloosh!"
    • The Club Creed – A recitation of the Official Creed.
We climb the highest mountains,
just to get a better view.

We plumb the deepest oceans,
cause we're daring through and through.

We cross the scorching deserts,
martini in our hands.

We ski the polar ice caps,
in tuxedo looking grand.

We are reckless, brave, and loyal,
and valiant to the end.

If you come in here a stranger,
you will exit as a friend.

~ Merriweather Adam Pleasure
Club Founder, 1927
    • The Club Song The Colonel is awakened to teach the crowd the club's anthem, though he usually misunderstands which song is expected of him at first.
"Marching along, we're adventurers,
Singing the song of adventurers.
Up or down,
North, south, east or west,
An adventurer's life is best!
Kungaloosh!"

• Adventurers Cabaret: Some Club members actually can sing up a storm, most notably Samantha Sterling, daring adventuress.
  • The Maid's Sing-Along: The Maid leads the audience in song.
  • The Rhythm Ritual: A show centered in the Main Salon that leads into the Hoopla at the end of the night. The Ritual usually features all the adventurers looking down from the balconies of the mezzanine as they take turns performing humorous solos on percussive instruments. The ritual usually builds to a crescendo as they come downstairs into the Main Salon, all playing their instruments together. Then the Colonel responds to the sound by coming off duty and shouting out rhythmic but often nonsensical phrases for the patrons to repeat, finalizing in the announcement of the Hoopla.
  • The Hoopla: The Adventurers Club evening finale. At the end of the Rhythm Ritual, the Library doors open and the guests are seated. The Hoopla is hosted by Samantha Sterling, and always begins with a sing-along of "The Happy Wanderer". There are usually two or three other numbers performed by other adventurers, then the show is always concluded with Samantha leading everyone in "When the Saints Go Marching In", with each remaining adventurer creating a verse. The actors either invent a new verse on the spur of the moment or reuse one they've previously found to be effective.
With all this excitement, it's no wonder to see why the Adventurers Club remains a favorite, even long after it has closed. And I have no doubt that its inclusion with the Port Disney experience will help bring guests flocking to the new location. It's the perfect place to "come in a stranger...and leave a little stranger"!

~ ~ ~
And on that note, this is where we'll stop our tour of Novus Harbor for now. Expect the next post to come along soon, but until then, feel free to leave any feedback or comments you may have!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Once again, credit goes out to my teammates who helped bring Novus Harbor to life for The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

~ ~ ~

L-g1x10K2evVv2yGKpgKLn14wz-O4U8lqYO3yw1zlmPXKU9gq1SpfNDE7gffP-wdjcv0GK4aYFsemIdEPis71VpcmkiE4iyjLwmF2W-E-2l7n1SzQ6sp3qdn8nZBXdivqnUDyXdPpxY

The rest of Novus Harbor is comprised of various other shops and restaurants and points of interest. Continuing on from the Adventurers' Club, we find three more shops. First is The Crow's Nest, a nautical-themed boutique set up by another prominent member of S.E.A., Captain Patrique Altomare (which is Italian for "high sea"), a French-Italian pirate, smuggler, and privateer who has sailed the "seven deadly seas", through wind, weather, and the flu, forever on the hunt for new adventures and discoveries. As a child, Patrique felt landlocked, quite literally in fact, despite living so close to a canal in southern France. His Ma had run off with a donkey salesman long ago, leaving his Pa to raise their son alone. A cold, unloving man, Pa was a hard labourer, and wanted his son to follow in his footsteps, to build brick walls til his back and legs failed him. Patrique wanted more in life, to be free and explore the world beyond his small home.

When he was old enough, Patrique hopped onto the first barge on the canal and sailed away to adventure. Through a series of mishaps, bribes, and one incident that involved a pesky seagull and a piano suspended on ropes, Patrique became captain of the Italian privateer ship, La Polaris, working for the government to raid enemy vessels and unsuspecting ports, to bring back their goods and valuables for profit. But, Captain Altomare found his journeys to not be for profit or destruction, but for discovery. To encounter new people, cultures, and tales from both land and sea, discover forgotten kingdoms and precious treasures. He became enthralled with the endless possibilities of world travel, preferring to spend more time on sea than on land.

But, eventually, a close encounter with a whirlpool in the West Indies nearly wrecked his ship. Patrique managed to sail La Polaris back to Italy, docking at a port he was not familiar with, with his ship in tatters. It was here that he met a number of intelligent and impressive individuals, who shared his passion for exploring the world and its secrets. He became a founding member of S.E.A., returning to the sea every now and again once his ship was fixed, to find rare and lost treasures and bring them back to the society. He had kept some of his more valuable finds for himself, and eventually decided to set up a shop in the port, deciding to decorate with his years of sailing and pillaging.

His long-time confidante, Silas the Red, has set up shop next door. Although Silas is not an official member of S.E.A., he is nonetheless a trusted confidante and supplier for the members of S.E.A., even accompanying them on a number of their adventures. Look around the shop and you'll find remnants of some of these adventures lining the walls, from his journeys to Romania researching vampires with Professore Conoczena, or old ship parts, the only remains from a sailing gone awry with Captain Altomare. For you though, the newest visitors to Novus Harbor, Silas' Goods supplies all sorts of necessities that you'll appreciate during your visit. You'll find everything from old maps of Port Disney park and a one of a kind field guide documenting all sorts of nautical creatures -- a must have for your journeys in Port Disney. Accompanying these numerous field items, will be toy "inventions" befitting the period, various flasks and mugs for your favorite beverage and all manner of S.E.A and Renaissance inspired memorabilia.

Adjacent to Silas' store via either the exterior entrance or by meandering your way through the stacks of Silas' goods sits Novus Relics. This smallish shop doesn't look like much, but once inside you'll find all sorts of treasures and a pin collector's dream. With one of a kind pins found only at Port Disney, guests will have their pick of themed pins befitting the park. From Mickey da Vinci, to beautifully designed ones with various mythological creatures and everything in between, you'll have no trouble adding to your collection. Along with the pins are bits and pieces of small treasures that have traded hands many a time in the Harbor from all sorts of travelers (including a few S.E.A. members if stories be true) that can be yours...for a price.

figraos_clothiers.jpg

On the other side of the street, built nearby Emporio is Figaro's Clothiers, a clothing store with an opera theme. Shirts, hat, jackets, and other manner of clothing can be found here, along with appropriately costumed representations of Disney characters. Why the opera theme? This humble abode serves as the homestead of Bravo Impresario, another Italian S.E.A. member who doubles as a powerful operatic tenor.

IrzLZMl8DKHzU9VheApctDq81ARHbfT6cp0PFXwOmJtVZWzi1eMasCRCNs1v2QVp7PtLeCauEsaSE6BkfkbHV4PqNU5SfUSx3cVnRCaxqVausmcA7fDzqrQAJD8lpgw1aq91hlQACXY

The complex also plays host to a waterside bakery: the Fibonacci Cafe. A quintessential part of any journey to Novus Harbor is a trip to the Fibonacci Cafe, named in honor of the Fibonacci Sequence of numbers, this coffee and pastry shop is famous for their Gelaffles, and for their prices stemming from $1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21. A Gelaffle is a sandwich combination of a Belgium Waffle and Italian Gelato, topped with powdered sugar, and coming in a variety of waffle/gelato combos. Sold only in Disney's Inventus for $8.50 per serving. Each serving comes with two sandwiches.

But, if you're in the mood for something more nourishing to eat, then why not try the Villa Scoperta counter-service restaurant. Also held within a waterside building complex on the opposite side of the harbor, this place offers various things to fill you with enough energy to explore Port Disney. Expect such things as pizza, pasta, signature burgers, salads and fruit.

library.jpg

Although all these things about Novus Harbor are incredible, perhaps the aspect that is the most special is that of Professore Conoscenza's library, Biblioteca Novus. A mighty abode, inspired by the Great Royal Library of Alexandria, burned by the armies of Julius Caesar in 48 BC. this massive marvel of historical and educational significance, Bibliotheca Novus (named for Novus Harbor) feels as if it would stand in the Times of gladiators and gods despite having been constructed only in the 1500. Within these walls, you can set forth into the world of myth and legend, as only Disney can do it! Using state-of-the-art animatronics, elaborate show scenes and the classic Omnimover technology, Biblioteca Novus is a classic Disney dark ride reborn for a new era!

Situated nearby the Biblioteca is the Explorer's Workshop, the main center-of-operation for American S.E.A. member Joseph Davis and place for all members of S.E.A. to get inventive! In this interactive walk-through, we can make our own experiments and interact with bizarre, Steampunk-esque machines. There are major rooms in the workshop. For example, in Camellia Falco's room, you can help her design flying machines, and even make a miniature one to take home! In Vincenzo's room, you can customize your own maps of the world...and maybe even make your own island! In Eureka's room, the spirit of new ideas is brought to life as you can put down on paper your own ideas for just about anything!

dldsw123456.jpg

Novus Harbor is situated around Imagination Lagoon, a lake with riverways leading out towards the other ports of call here at Port Disney. All views of the lagoon offer dramatic views of Mt. Prometheus, the park's central icon -- a huge volcano stretching as high as the clouds. Every so often, a burst of lava belches forth from the mountain, casting all eyes towards it. It is here along the edge of the river that you can meet some beloved Disney characters -- namely, Mickey and the gang dressed up in their Renaissance finest. Also found here are the various S.E.A. members -- Vincenzo, Eureka, Patrique, Bravo, Silas, Joseph, Stewart and Henry -- as well as Harrison Hightower III, Lord Henry Mystic, Mary Oceaneer, Barnabas T. Bullion, Albert Falls, Camellia Falco, Charlton J. Talboret, J.L. Baterista and Professor R. Blauerhimmel.

Tokyo-DisneySea-Magellans-0837.jpg

In the center of Novus Harbor, the pathway juts out towards the lagoon is the Astronomer's Lounge, the headquarters of prominent S.E.A. member Stella Vedere. Stella is an incredible astronomer -- her love of space is practically in her blood! After all, her name a rough translation from Italian for "I see stars". Kong Jian, another pioneering S.E.A. member hailing from China, was the love of her life and her partner in research. Stella and Kong worked together to create the first rocket ship in 1556. which Kong piloted becoming the first astronaut. Unfortunately, an accident happened and now he is lost out in space. So, Stella charts the stars not just for the thrill of discovery, but in hopes of finding a way to rescue her lost love. To help with her research, Stella came to Novus Harbor to work alongside some of the brightest minds and best adventurers in the world. One of the first members of S.E.A., she helped form the organization as a way to gather exceptional people with a similar thirst for knowledge and discovery together.

Now, she invites guests into her observatory to share in delicious food and to come together for lively discussion. Her hope is to inspire other to always reach for the stars and to never give up on love! Stella can often be found in person doing research and greeting guests in the Astronomer's Lounge! There are three themed dining rooms in the Astronomer’s Lounge. The Research Room is full of Stella’s work charting the stars and the renaissance era tools she uses to do it. The Prototype Room is full of models and test versions of Kong’s rocket and Stella’s attempts to build ones that could be used to find him. Lastly, the largest dining room is the Starlight Room. A real working planetarium where guests can dine among the cosmos! Wherever you’re seated, it is sure to be amazing! And what's on the menu? Honoring both Stella and Kong, the menu is a mix of Italian and Chinese dishes, with enough distinct foods to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.

o6MiB4hEye6lgV4W2bQNlzRselDt0EL6xdaB2QNqanat-EiIMNCmGJHkKhzYRjEb5Azt7XRlIgJZOPBwSDy8i-Ca12zSGiaSZl65O3tI9Ad2aCXYNwY8P8bsws0wDcld-ydGyV_J

By day, the visage of the Port Disney Tramp Steamer Line fills Imagination Lagoon with motion and activity, escorting guests to New Orleans Bayou, Alta Pueblo and Arendelle. But by night, the lagoon is transformed into a living collage of imagination and wonder in a fantastic World of Color. An unforgettable tapestry of color, magic and imagination, World of Color is in tribute to the beloved animation and spirit of the Disney Studio. The romance, friendship and music of the past celebrate the nostalgia and magic of this nighttime extravaganza. As the show’s extraordinary elements are woven into a kaleidoscope of imagination, the spectacle sweeps the surface of Imagination Lagoon.

~ ~ ~​

And thus concludes Novus Harbor, the first distinct area of Port Disney! Our next post will bring about the second port-of-call, New Orleans Bayou. Until then, please feel free to post any feedback or comments you may have and I'll see you in the next post!

Suchomimus

In the words of @stitchcastle, "I have to say though that I think A Little Mermaid area and A Finding Nemo area can definitely co-exist what with Nemo focusing more on the realistic animal world vs.s TLM's more fantastical and mythological version."
I’m lost here. I thought that Arendelle would replace Mermaid Lagoon since MK has a dark ride, quick service restaurant, and meet and greet for TLM, but you’re talking about Nemo and Ariel being able to coexist if they had different focuses. Are you saying that’s what you’re going to do with TLM and Frozen?

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
I’m lost here. I thought that Arendelle would replace Mermaid Lagoon since MK has a dark ride, quick service restaurant, and meet and greet for TLM, but you’re talking about Nemo and Ariel being able to coexist if they had different focuses. Are you saying that’s what you’re going to do with TLM and Frozen?
Exactly. Think of Arendelle as a counterpoint to the upcoming Fantasy Springs expansion for Tokyo DisneySea, an area which will also involve Frozen. Plus, the two Little Mermaid areas focus on different aspects of the world of the film, with the Magic Kingdom's being based on Prince Eric's seaside village, and Port Disney's being based on Triton's kingdom.

For this post, my biggest inspiration was @MANEATINGWREATH's post about New Orleans Square in his "Mirror Disneyland" thread. New Orleans Bayou is essentially a more elaborate take on New Orleans Square, so expect a little bit of that "sameness."

~ ~ ~

New Orleans Bayou

xtu299LAD3HBx9Lc16tYGXN2paD9LzvBcxQaZOcccSbHyKQVIWcX59VyJ0TuStkDHoOtNaQ7FBNpJ0In2SI6RQI-QSB2qr32d4isg7JOAvc5zjIanmOvyNnj5iSLmv5qst5Qofmw

Back when New Orleans Square was being planned for Disneyland in California, Walt Disney had this to say: "Disneyland has always had a big river and a Mississippi sternwheeler. It seemed appropriate to create a new attraction at the bend of the river. And so, New Orleans Square came into being - a New Orleans of a century ago when she was the Gay Paree of the American frontier... From the lacy iron grillwork of its balconies to the sound of a Dixieland jazz band and the sight of the majestic riverboat 'Mark Twain' steaming 'round the bend at the foot of Royal Street, New Orleans Square recalls her namesake, the fabled 'Queen of the Delta,' as it was a century ago when cotton was king and the steamboat ruled the Mississippi."

The Old South had always had a major design influence on Frontierland. Sam McKim created the first general view of New Orleans Square in 1957. His design called for the addition of a Thieves' Market, a Wax Museum, and on the outskirts of town, a Haunted House, in addition to the existing Swift Chicken Plantation. These original plans, of course, changed over time. Although a number of Disney Imagineers contributed to the project throughout the first half of the 1960s, the now classic design of New Orleans Square was established largely by Herb Ryman. Herb drew a number of sketches in portrayal of life in the old French Quarter and an evil pirates' hideout. "I said I had some ideas, I knew how New Orleans Square ought to look, I knew how it ought to be," Ryman recalled. "But it was not my project." Walt replied, "It is now, do anything you wish. I'm coming back at noon tomorrow and I want my Square.

Evidently, Walt was pleased with what he saw that next day. I had split the three walls open into three facades. I believed that the winding streets curving out of view would arouse people's curiosity and invite them to explore.
" In Ryman's plan, the largely front-facing "Thieves' Market" show building was broken and split into a "neighborhood," thus creating a more intimate setting for Walt's Delta City. "Walt would never let us show any sign of aging. He said, 'No, I don't want it to look old.' And I said, well, New Orleans is old; it's been there for hundreds of years. And he said, 'I want this to look clean, and the paint is fresh, just like the day it was built.'"

In keeping with Walt's intentions, New Orleans Bayou at Port Disney is a reproduction of the grand city of Louisiana in every minute detail. There are winding streets, ornate, iron-trellised balconies, romantic courtyards, and exquisite, gourmet restaurants. Even the quaint little shops that line the narrow avenues of this romantic land add to its charm and warmth. Of course, New Orleans Square is enhanced even further by its strolling Dixieland musicians, The Royal Street Bachelors, who wander through the narrow promenades playing authentic Dixieland jazz.

1556560560014-png.368104

"If this looks like a page out of an old New Orleans photo album, it was planned that way."

In a change from the pristine facades of its Midwestern neighbor, Main Street, U.S.A., color styling in New Orleans Square incorporated tonally reserved hues with a wash of "aging" over the brand-new paint to obtain the real feel of "Old New Orleans." The result didn't look dirty or unkempt, but added a patina of age and baroque character appropriate to the romance of the river bend. The River Belle Terrace rests just on the outskirts of town, an elegant, two-story manor stocked to the gills with Southern comfort food: the likes of fried chicken, collard greens, cajun potatoes and homestyle macaroni and cheese. An outdoor patio looks to the bustling riverfront, a lively bandstand its musical backdrop.

131_main_visual_name_1.jpg

The music continues as we near the Theatre d'Orleans, a grand venue designed in the styles of the grand theaters of New York or San Francisco. It offers comfortable seating in both orchestra and balcony sections -- a theater clearly designed for big, elaborate productions. And boy, does this theater go elaborate! In eternal celebration of the sweet sound of New Orleans jazz, Big Band Beat features Mickey and the gang performing alongside a live big band and an ensemble of Broadway-worthy dancers as they perform some of the most famous jazz standards of all time. The likes of such prominent jazz composers as Irving Berlin, George Gershwin, Cole Porter, Louis Prima and Duke Ellington all get recognized here in this epic production, straight from Tokyo DisneySea.

The-Disney-Gallery.JPG

Walt Disney made no secret about his love for Dixieland music, and from Disneyland's earliest beginnings, the venerable sound of New Orleans jazz has filled the Magic Kingdom. Equal was his love for the Delta City itself. The fantastic Art of Disney is an attraction and merchandise exhibition held within a stately manor house directly inspired by the famed Cabildo in New Orleans's Jackson Square. The Cabildo was built in 1799 to house the Spanish colonial government, and is perhaps best known as the site in which the Louisiana Purchase was signed in 1803. Ever since the closure of Innoventions at EPCOT, the various pieces of art that were found at their Art of Disney have been stored in the Archives. Now, with the arrival of Port Disney, we have this exuberant display, tucked away from the world below, a hidden treasure waiting to be discovered by passerby. The Art of Disney is an art exhibition that lined the walls and rooms, filled with conceptual artwork, scale models and memorabilia to capture the imagination and hearts of visitors the world over. The Disney Gallery features an elegant Victorian interior with chandeliers and hand-woven carpets. The music is an appropriately themed interpretation of Disney Classics, each performed in a baroque style, complete with harpsichord.

1556566547229-png.368131

Located at Number 33 Royal Street, New Orleans Square, is one of Port Disney's best-kept secrets. "The most exclusive address in all Disneyland" has long been shrouded in mystery and is marked only by a "33" sign next to a locked green door. The second-story restaurant inside is decorated with antique furniture collected by Walt and Lillian Disney on their family vacations to New Orleans. Some of the furnishings include actual props and set pieces used in classic Disney films and attractions, such as The Haunted Mansion, Mary Poppins and The Happiest Millionaire.

Given that each park in Walt Disney World is slated to open their own Club 33 soon, it only makes sense that Port Disney's be found right here in New Orleans Bayou. Club 33 was originally conceived by Walt Disney as a place to entertain dignitaries, VIPs and corporate sponsors, though he died shortly before the club opened in 1967. The private club is exclusive to members only, and has a waiting list that runs well past a decade in length. Members pay a mere $11,000 yearly, entitling themselves entrance to the five parks of Walt Disney World and exclusive entertainment amenities.

1556569855028-png.368160

The idea of having an antique shop within Disneyland is said to have come from Walt Disney himself. The One-of-a-Kind Shop is the most unique venue in all Disneyland; the gifts here cannot be found anywhere else. An eclectic (but elegant) selection of antique clocks, jewelry, playing cards, statuettes, miniatures, 19th Century objets d'art, Italian masks, old photographs and other treasures from the past are sold here. The style and craftsmanship of a bygone era are the true attraction; a testament to the beauty and grandeur of 19th Century Americana. Lafitte Jewelers and Cristal d'Orleans emulate an Old South version of Main Street, U.S.A.'s China Closet and Crystal Arts, only, the merchandise here is distinctly more "New Orleans" and far less "Disney." Mlle. Antoinette's Perfumerie and a Caricature Portrait Artist add an additional touch of authenticity and detail to the already impressive atmosphere of New Orleans Square. The varied Flower Marts and Candy Carts further build a thematic "panorama" of beauty and elegance.

court-des-anges-disneyland-night-M.jpg

New Orleans Square has numerous courtyards and sheltered walkways just off-the-beaten-path of Disneyland's hustle and bustle. Coming from the second-floor windows, we might overhear some of the Big Easy's denizens caught in several comical scenarios, including a southern seance, a destructive feline and a clever, wisecracking mockingbird. The lush Court of Angels offers a nice, quiet place for people to escape the hustle and bustle of New Orleans. The hidden gem was one of the last Disneyland fixtures designed by Walt Disney before his untimely death. The beautiful Court has been the popular spot for family photos, engagements, and even character meet 'n' greets, but more often than not remains a quiet and reflective oasis. Mimes, jugglers, and solo musicians often stand outside the storefronts, setting the tone for an authentic trip to New Orleans.

5TcnRguHx564xGabvQ9a4fvCjyIG6OmP-yqQ6rcDiH8BFdPh1x69Nsdhp0lpLQYa0MPPa6NjFkwnLhku4gATM4x8d6UB0vPKjD0-v4UbJ5MS6xSDShO0U6QCbcZWG2fWWMMkmPii

Porte d'Orleans, found in the heart of the French Quarter, is well-versed and stocked in a variety of Cajun spices, chicory-coffee, beignet mixes, hot sauces and kitchenware authentic to the "Queen of the Delta." The Creole Cafe, home to the world-famous Monte Cristo, features dark woods, brass fixtures and stained glass that transport us to the Big Easy's oldest neighborhood. We can "people-watch" on the elegant covered patio or dine inside with the vintage artifacts and furnishings of "Walt's Day." Amidst character displays from The Princess and the Frog, we find the very same espresso machine that served Walt cups of his favorite brew. The famous French Market restaurant is based on the New Orleans original in the historic French Quarter. The large outdoor cafe has delicious Creole dishes and southern fried soul food. The non-alcoholic Mint Julep Bar is located nearby. The French Market was, for several years, the common performance venue for "Teddy Buckner" and his band of "Jazz All-Stars." Today, the French Market continues the tradition of live music, often featuring a performance or two by the Jambalaya Jazz Band and "Queenie," their soulful leading lady.

ockRsE2RAk8Ro42SYfX6FOh3k1D6csxvSlaVmkVE0YKRyrBA1JZfpBfw50wwimbZ7G5MIr0LIeiv-TXCukcNO4z79TkW5vEcJ1LdU9j4JkUbYWkJn6tRKlflv8kp54tHPJ5eav0b

In a courtyard held in the darkest shadows of the "Big Easy," flickering candles and a sign made from human skulls point us toward the dimly lit facade of Dr. Facilier’s Voodoo Emporium. Here we find a dimly-lit hole-in-the-wall marked by a rather macabre welcome plaque made of human skulls and candles. Inside is a realm blanketed in pure mystery, where voodoo dolls and spellbooks lay scattered about carelessly, a boiling cauldron in one corner emitting a "healthy" green glow. Rather than actual voodoo, Dr. Facilier's is the park's villain-themed shop, meaning any and all things related to the dreaded Disney villains are sold here, as well as Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise, select Haunted Mansion items, magic tricks, pranks, tarot cards, and plastic skulls... Naturally, the emporium is filled with interactive elements typical of Dr. Facilier, including an arcade machine that allows a voodoo doll to dance, talking masks, spellbooks that quite clearly have minds of their own, and a serpent fast asleep above the cash registers, occasionally awakening to examine potential prey.

The Voodoo Emporium is a fitting neighbor to the shaded underbelly of New Orleans… A step inside an old plantation brings us not into a lavish foyer, but instead into a ramshackle portion of the French Quarter cast beneath the stars of twilight. The pale light of the full moon illuminates a dense bayou, where sleeping alligators and flickering fireflies lie in wait. On the horizon, a rickety houseboat and shrimping-boat gently rock among the thick foliage, an unseen banjo wafting onto the summer breeze amid the chirping crickets and croaking frogs. Thieves' Market is an "open-air" bazaar of rare imports and antiquities. As the market was once owned by the famous Jean Lafitte, the shady merchants and sellers talk and speak as if they were 18th Century pirates of the Delta City. Their wares include trinkets of silver and gold, weathered books, China porcelain, leather, fine jewelry, and much, much more. Vendors in need of a “quick buck” operate snack stands from within the marketplace, selling gumbo and deep-fried catfish to name a few cheap dishes.

Back in the daylight, we find two more shops before departing from the French Quarter and towards the bayou. 1928 is another shop unique to the French Quarter. 1928, named for the year that a certain mouse debuted, is unique, whereas it sells animation cels and original artwork from Disney films, not to mention hand-carved decorations and statuettes for year-round decor. While Main Street, U.S.A. has Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe as a year-round Christmas shop, the French Quarter has a full-on seasonal shop that changes depending on the holiday. This shop is appropriately called Chaque Vacances ("Every Holiday"). From mid-January to late-February, the shop is themed to Valentine's Day; from early-March to late-April the shop is themed to Easter; from early-May to late-August, the shop is themed to summer; from early-September to October 31st, the shop is themed to Halloween; from early-November to early-January, the shop is themed to Christmas and Hanukkah.

~ ~ ~

Like before, we're going to split this land up into two parts. Expect the next post to come by soon, and until then, please keep the feedback and comments coming.

Oh, and I should point out that this concept was inspired mainly by @MANEATINGWREATH's New Orleans Square from his Mirror Disneyland, as well as the "French Quarter" area of Frontierland he devised for his Dream Disney Resort.

Suchomimus

Exactly. Think of Arendelle as a counterpoint to the upcoming Fantasy Springs expansion for Tokyo DisneySea, an area which will also involve Frozen. Plus, the two Little Mermaid areas focus on different aspects of the world of the film, with the Magic Kingdom's being based on Prince Eric's seaside village, and Port Disney's being based on Triton's kingdom.
I love it when people think outside the box.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
I love it when people think outside the box.
Thank you kindly!

~ ~ ~

As we head northwards from New Orleans Bayou, the realistic French Market slowly transitions into sightlines only found in celluloid. After all, it wouldn't be New Orleans without The Princess and the Frog. And you can bet that Port Disney has quite a few nifty ways to celebrate this 2009 classic.

1065374_1341166689919_full.jpg

Tiana’s famous beignets are all the rage down at Tiana's Palace, a beacon for the New Orleans elite. Nestled proudly at a bend in the rivers of Imagination Lagoon, live jazz music and the musical stylings of Louis the Alligator attract visitors from far and near to come out and sample just what Tiana's cooking in her prized kitchen. Art Deco fixtures and a sweeping ballroom further complement the cajun cuisine and five-star service.

7e3c840b6b38038562f72712108b1221.jpg

Of course, if you want to rub shoulders with Tiana, she can often be found roaming through New Orleans Bayou, oftentimes with Naveen at her side. New Orleans Bayou also offers meet-and-greet opportunities with Louis, the trumpet-playing alligator; Charlotte La Bouff, Tiana's best friend; as well as the nefarious Dr. Facilier himself!

ee60608c93d618c27e1b1a40ac4dfb00.jpg

Across the street from Tiana's Palace is the La Bouff Plantation, serving as a perfect place to go for pictures. Of course, Charlotte and Tiana often hold meet-and-greets here. Although you can't step foot inside the plantation, you can certainly roam around the backyards. The outlandish backyard has quickly become a good place to host events -- corporate events, wedding receptions, and even masquerade balls during Port Disney's Halloween and Christmas celebrations! Yes, as night falls from September to January, and then again for a few weeks in March for Mardi Gras, you can take part in a masquerade ball where you can dance the night away with the Princess and the Frog gang, plus a few special guests -- namely, Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy dressed in their Mardi Gras best. Plus, for character-hunters, these masquerade balls offer a chance for you to meet Charlotte in her ballgown and Tiana in her blue gown, never before seen in the parks!

In the thicket beyond the elegant La Bouff Plantation and Tiana’s Palace, towering trees and bubbling streams mark the entrance to the mysterious bayous of the New Orleans swamp. It's a dark and moody, yet exciting, place. In fact, if you look closely, you may even see a few real-life frogs resting in the murky waters. Of course, there's not much one can do in swamps, hence why "New Orleans Bayou" is more of a placeholder name, but there is one thing we can do...

1515537442880-png.255431

Entering the humble tree-house of Mama Odie, we can re-live the story of the prince-turned-frog and the waitress-turned-frog-turned-princess via The Princess and the Frog: Tiana's Tale! For the first time ever, the world of Disney's 49th animated classic is brought to life, in a manner similar to Pooh's Hunny Hunt at the Magic Kingdom or Ratatouille at EPCOT. Stepping off from Mama Odie's tree-house, we board a giant lily-pad and take a trackless spin through the world of the film, with vivid musical numbers, high-tech animatronics, and three-dimensional set pieces.

~ ~ ~

And with that, our tour of New Orleans Bayou is complete! Our next post will discuss, perhaps, the most important land in the whole park, a land that has been years upon years in the making. Brace yourselves, this is going to be a very special post...

Until that post arrives, please keep all the comments and feedback coming, and I will see you then!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
And now, here comes, perhaps, the most ambitious new land of Port Disney.

~ ~ ~

Discovery Bay

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-27%20at%2010.38.48%20PM-590x369.png

In the 1970s, Walt Disney Imagineers officially announced a stunning new area to join Disneyland’s seven – an extension of Walt’s love of Americana and the impossible fantasy environments that only Disney’s Imagineers could create, Discovery Bay would’ve been the flagship land of Disney’s theme park empire. The gorgeous, thoughtful, brilliant concepts of Discovery Bay would’ve easily been one of the strongest lands at any Disney Park, even unto today. But Discovery Bay never opened...until now. When the time came to plan Port Disney, the Imagineers looked back upon Tony Baxter's glorious concept, and decided to breath new life into it for Walt Disney World's fifth gate.

Imagine ... what if the prospectors who found gold found themselves along the Golden Coast of California? Imagine, then, if those prospectors settled into San Francisco, right at the start of its economic boom – right as it became known as the "Paris of the West"? Imagine if they created in San Francisco an international coastal city for explorers, adventurers, thinkers, artists, and scientists – a golden, seaside port of crystalline towers, technology, cogs, hot air balloons, steel, gadgets, and wonder? Welcome to Discovery Bay.

latest

The highly imaginative tale of Discovery Bay includes the legend of a young inventor, and founding S.E.A. member, named Jason Chandler, who lived in a town called International Village during the peak gold rush years in the Big Thunder region-circa 1849. According to the chronicles, "…the young inventor devised a drilling machine with the capability of boring into the very heart of Big Thunder Mountain. There, the veins of gold ran so deep, it was rumored they could produce a mother lode that would bring a man enough wealth to last a hundred lifetimes and more.

But a cave-in occurred on Big Thunder, burying 26 miners alive. They would have drawn their last breath then and there, had it not been for the inventor and his laughable drilling machine. He burrowed down into the Earth’s core, rescuing the miners from certain death. It should have been a moment of joy and celebration, but as the men scrambled to the arms of safety, a massive earthquake shook the ground and a cavernous maw opened up, swallowing the inventor and his machine whole. The miners, as well as the citizens of the village, struggled day and night against the mountain, trying to dig the young man from his living tomb. But they never saw him, or another nugget of gold, again. Big Thunder had taken its vengeance not only on the miners, but on their wealth as well. The mountain had gone bust, and it became just a matter of time before only ghosts resided there.

Unknown to everyone else, Jason Chandler survived the incident but knowing the wealth of gold could easily be abused, chose to use the gold to fund research for any inventor whose odd ideas had been turned down by everyone else. He established a new home on the California coast near San Francisco called Discovery Bay. There, he found a mighty volcano resting on an island. This was Mt. Prometheus, a place rumored to carry many beautiful and valuable crystals ... but also a mysterious being that guarded the volcano and was hostile towards those who would seek to rob it of its riches. Utilizing his patented drilling machine, Jason tried to excavate and explore the mighty volcano, and narrowly avoided the being. Like he did on Big Thunder, he lived to tell the tale, but he has encouraged those who would dare try to explore the volcano themselves to beware ...

Harper-Goff-D-Bay.jpg

Discovery Bay a seamless combination of fantasy, history, magic, and science fiction, a lasting tribute and testament to the age of inventors, dreamers, and philosophers. Despite the evident setting of Gold Rush-era San Francisco, the overall "copper" feel of Discoveryland hints at an unreal time when the past, future, and present coexist side-by-side, each unable to pinpoint which one is different from the other. This is a realm in which the likes of Jules Verne or H.G. Wells would like to call home. Our time in Discovery Bay begins along the waters of Imagination Lagoon. A path in-between Tiana's Palace and the La Bouff Plantation of New Orleans Bayou leads across a wooden path towards Discovery Bay. Along a rocky outcropping, Discovery Lighthouse is the first thing to greet us as we step towards the water's edge, a twisted, steampunk structure beckoning us towards the bay from all points of the city. In front of it sits a statue of two children reaching up towards the uncarried heavens, determined looks on their faces. On a plaque, the following phrase is engraved: "All that is within the limit of possibility must be and will be accomplished."

sailing-ship-columbia-00.jpg

Nearby, Jason Chandler's ship, the Spirit of Discovery, would be docked at a port full of crates and nets (a cleverly disguised children’s play area) with a gang plank leading up to the ship's deck for exploration. Given how small the waterway is -- only big enough for the Port Disney Tramp Steamers to pass through -- the Spirit of Discovery does not sail. It merely remains docked at the water's edge.

FireworksFactory.jpg

Heading onwards, we find a miniature recreation of Chinatown, where Chinese immigrants of the era have set up shop in a small wharf-like setting. The Fireworks Factory, the park's third themed-shooting gallery allows us to take potshots at pinwheels and firecrackers, setting off a multitude of pyrotechnic gags and mishaps. The Lucky Fortune Cookery takes us on a tour of an authentic fortune cookie factory, allowing free samples and oddly enough, a window offering a wide variety of different items that utilize fortune cookies in their ingredients. Silk Road Traders, named in honor of the famed Marco Polo Expedition, sits nearby the Lucky Fortune. The wares and decor of a Chinese expedition are available for purchase: kimonos, masks, fans, and more. And despite being set in the American West, Mulan, Shang and Mushu have been known to frequent the small square of Chinatown, especially as we draw near the month of Chinese New Year.

Lastly, the Confucius Tea House sits us in a Chinese restaurant with full table service, not to mention an animatronic performance by Confucius himself, as well as authentic Chinese acrobats, and a talking dragon whom parades around the dining room and enjoys "smoking" inside the restaurant through his nostrils.

Moving inland from the cultural Waterfront, the interior of Discovery Bay is lavishly decorated as an early Victorian high society port of elaborate dance hall exteriors, plush chaise lounges, crystal chandeliers, and more, all disguising actual merchandise locations selling artisan crafts, scientific supplies and scale model figurines of Disneyland attractions.

latest

Housed within a bizarre-looking exhibition hall is Professor Marvel's Gallery of Wonders. This one-of-a-kind attraction was featured in a revolving theater (similar to the Carousel of Progress) and would star an inventor and explorer named Professor Marvel who would introduce his menagerie of unbelievable animals, experiments, and inventions during the musical journey. Perhaps his most astounding find was his pet dragon, which faithfully sits on his shoulder as he recounts the magical journeys he's had.

Just outside of town along a grassy hill would stand the Western Balloon Ascent, a Skyway style attraction with guests suspended below hot air balloons to lift up and over Discovery Bay for flights to Novus Harbor and Arendelle and back again. The Western Balloon Ascent is another one of Professor Marvel's inventions, and he is more than happy to share it with you. In fact, you can often see Professor Marvel himself strolling through Discovery Bay, as well as Jason Chandler. Speaking of which, Milo and Kida from the 2001 cult classic Atlantis: The Lost Empire often roam through the streets themselves, eager to meet guests.

0b2199875053b7a0a0dfc6d98cea0226.jpg

On the other side of the street, right nearby the edge of Mount Prometheus, a massive zeppelin sits within an opened-garage facing the lagoon; this garage being Reichelt Hangar, named for Franz Reichelt, the ill-fated pioneer of the parachute. And this airship is none other than the majestic Hyperion, as seen in Disney's 1974 sci-fi epic The Island at the Top of the World. It seems only fitting that Reichelt Hangar is home to not just Cafe Hyperion, a quick refreshment stop and coffee bar, but also one of the most popular attractions in the park: Island at the Top of the World. Hopping aboard the mighty Hyperion ourselves, the Aurora Borealis becomes guide to find the Polar Ice Cap in this mysterious E-ticket attraction. However, the journey is not always smooth sailing. Turbulent storms cause the dirigible to lower altitude, showcasing polar bears and migratory wales, which are followed into an delicate ice labyrinth where we are victim to a killer whale attack. In a desperate bid to escape, the Hyperion crashes through the ice and into the lost island of Astrigard, with mystical creatures and culminating into a violent Arctic storm finale and quick journey back to Discovery Bay.

n014369_2020feb01_les-mysteres-du-nautilus_16-9_tcm794-157489.jpg

Visibly docked near Reichelt Hangar is an all-too-familiar sight: the parked Nautilus, the mighty submarine of Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Back when Jason Chandler first founded the place, one of his first adventures there was a meeting with Ned Land to locate and salvage the Nautilus from its watery grave. A quick step inside takes us below the surface and into the Mystery of the Nautilus a walkthrough of Nemo's stronghold that ends in an unfortunate encounter with the legendary giant squid. Plans found within the Nautilus reveal that Nemo is responsible for much of Discovery Bay's futuristic ideals and technology, seamlessly intertwining California's rich history with the fanciful works of Jules Verne.

Also found on-board the Nautilus is the Grand Salon, offering 5-star meals amid the beauty of the ocean. The Grand Salon is a lavish dining experience quite unlike any other in Port Disney. Windows look to the vast world beneath the surface, with schools of fish, coral reefs, medieval shipwrecks, and the ominous silhouette of a giant squid lurking in the aquatic world beyond...

Heading northeast from Discovery Lighthouse takes us towards the northernmost reaches of the park, as well as the aforementioned volcano and entrance to Alta Pueblo. A collection of shops and eateries line our path in Discovery Lane, a small marketplace of unique trinkets and baubles, as well as baked goods, Discovery Bay-unique dishes, and candy; lots and lots of candy. The window displays lining the Fisherman's Wharf-esque shops are rather odd and reminiscent of the long-lost vision of the future as presented by many a 19th century futurist. Many of the buildings themselves appear to be covered in Captain Nemo-designed inventions and machinery, all working in strenuous harmony for the good of the city. Francisco Tonsorial Parlour is an old-fashioned barbershop featuring straight razor shaves, soothing skin massages, and haircuts of great precision, all to the musical stylings of an unseen barbershop quartet. K.A. Bhume's TNT & Joke Shop sits next door. K.A. Bhume, a wealthy entrepreneur and award-winning big game hunter (primitive photographs demonstrate his travels in Adventureland's Forgotten Kingdom) operates his shop with great pride, selling inventory of a wacky variety; false limbs, fake animal trophies, pop-guns, gag gifts, chattering teeth, ventriloquist dummies, etc. Harbormaster's Grill is a simple quick service station over glacial docks. Basic, comforting seafood options include fish ‘n’ chips, clam chowder, and Maine lobster. Diners may either eat near water’s edge, or retire to a boathouse loaded with artifacts from past explorations.

~ ~ ~

Surprise, surprise, we're going to have to divide this post up into two. There's just so much I want to talk about here, I don't think it's gonna fit all on one page. So, expect the next post to come by later tonight. Until then, keep the feedback coming!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
~ ~ ~

Carriatricks209th20Anniversary20-20094_zpsiezy6npx.jpg

Nestled within the rolling hills of the Western Balloon Ascent is a dense forest of Northern California inspiration, a la Yosemite National Park or the Redwoods. The waters of the bay drift past our path, quietly seeping into the heart of the unknown. At first glance, the forest appears harmless, but a quick listen proves otherwise...some unnatural beast has unleashed an unheard of, almost primeval shriek. This forest is none other than the home of Voyage to the Lost World, a trip into a forested realm inhabited by, you guessed it: dinosaurs. On this unique, and sometimes frightening, adventure, we are practically on our own as we venture through this fantastic world untouched by mankind where the fearsome Tyrannosaurus Rex and majestic Brachiosaurus all live in relative peace among their fellow dinosaurians. It isn't until we show up that things go awry, much to our dismay. Much of the attraction is inspired by Fantasia's infamous "Rite of Spring" segment as well as Ford's Magic Skyway of the 1964-1965 World's Fair, the Primeval World diorama of the Disneyland Railroad and the former dinosaur scene from EPCOT'S Universe of Energy, while the storyline and concept are loosely inspired by the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. You can bet that a climactic drop involving never-ending combat between a certain T-Rex and Stegosaurus is in order.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-27%20at%2011.36.53%20PM.png

Docked at the northern-most edges of Discovery Bay is the Spark Gap Loop, a pretty-intense-by-Disney-standards coaster, which involves a roller coaster car being drawn up a spiral lift hill “via magnetism” before a “reversed magnetic polarity” sent it freefalling backwards down a new path through a corkscrew and through quite a few loops.

L4-57kjhkjhkjh.jpg

Built opposite Reichelt Hangar, on the other side of Mt. Prometheus is another exhibition hall, albeit of a more Steampunk-style than the whimsical hall of Professor Marvel. Inside, late-great Robin Williams posthumously provides his voice to the title character of The Timekeeper, the finest in CircleVision 360 entertainment that has long been forgotten in the Disney theme park universe. Today, Timekeeper is back and better than ever in Port Disney featuring a new HD film (while the scenes remain the same to accommodate the Robin Williams dialogue; they're all new and reshot; even the Jules Verne actor is different) with new in-theater effects and magic. Entering the theater sends us far forward into the future where robots in the likeliness of Timekeeper and 9-Eyes are able to exist, the dream of many a classic futurist come true. What ensues next is a 360 degree trip through time and space, all the while accompanied by an unintentionally "kidnapped" Jules Verne who experiences many ideas in which he wrote about coming into fruition.

mount-prometheus.jpg

Well, we've walked around it too much. There's no sense in avoiding it anymore... Let us explore Mt. Prometheus, the biggest, tallest, hottest volcano in this fictional representation of Northern California. Steam vents and volcanic rocks litter the surrounding shores, hinting at volcanic activity not-so-deep beneath the earth. Pines and redwoods that have since been burnt to a crisp still stand among the muddy walkways, complementing the primeval volcano that occasionally erupts in a flurry of pyrotechnics and smoke. Stepping inside the volcano area, there is a restless energy all around you. Mount Prometheus is almost an entire sub-land dedicated to the writings and imagination of Jules Verne. Once inside Jason Chandler's base camp, we discover a rocky oceanfront looking to the waters of a bubbling, primordial lagoon. Steam can be seen escaping from cracks in the side of the volcano. The landscape is rocky and devoid of plant life. There is a turbulent waterway which occupies the center of the area, and geysers shoot up dozens of feet in the air.

Tokyo-Disney-Resort-0080-L.jpg

If you dare wish to explore the inner sanctums of the volcano, you can surely do so by taking a Journey to the Center of the Earth. Based on the Jules Verne novel of the same name, Journey to the Center of the Earth takes you on a winding trip down to the earth's core. Along the way you will encounter crystal caverns, strange creatures, and a variety of special effects that make this attraction one incredible feast for the eyes. Often breathtaking, sometimes scary, you could ride this attraction dozens of times and still not see everything. We dig deeper and deeper into the earth through Mount Prometheus, wheeling through crystal caves, past strange alien-like creatures, beside underground waterfalls and thunderstorms, underneath giant mushrooms, and nearly everything fantastical one can imagine would reside beneath the surface. Unfortunately, the fantastic journey ends when we unintentionally enter the nest of a hideous lava monster who initiates the eruption of the mighty volcano that sends us whisking up and down the side of Mount Prometheus in a thrilling finale rivaling that of all other thrill rides in the park. Journey to the Center of the Earth is one of Port Disney's premier attractions, and unless you have no tolerance whatsoever for thrill rides, this is a "must do" attraction. This is a fantastic ride that does not disappoint.

HD4U3h7hyH4Cu61RYBdZIBI9pQVksrFgy__-fZKEJXMsbPwuvfO-mE_sfBtSkhOwp4IrEL9lX_BPm_GC21n7ysET8zXV5wP6b1o_-ra1bJkg6CNNJ2oxqR-C0YNGcaMUAcxy9xSf

But that's not the only thrilling adventure we can have here in Mount Prometheus. Heading down a spiral staircase into the lagoon of this base camp, we enter an underground docking area, readied to board our very own miniature submarine. quipped with flashlight-like inventions of Captain Nemo, we dive fathoms below to investigate an underwater volcano, only to sail thru a graveyard of lost ships, have a chance encounter with a giant squid, and ultimately experience a run-in with a googly-eyed sea serpent amid the benevolent humanoids in the lost continent of Atlantis. These fish-like sentients help us make an emergency return to the surface when all seems lost. Needless to say, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is quite a unique attraction. Yet another lift from Tokyo DisneySea, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is set in a "dry-for-wet" environment, meaning all the undersea locations and creatures are held in a dry show building; the submarine portholes are double-paned, filled with liquid. Bubbles are blown into the liquid to simulate the illusion of a deep-sea descent.

vulcania_restaurant_exterior.jpg

Built into the side of the Mount Prometheus volcano, the inside of the Vulcania Restaurant is made up to look like a geothermal power station. The inside walls appear to be carved from lava rock, and the effects are very convincing. The food here is in the buffeteria style, and features plenty of variety for whatever tastes you may have. A retro-futuristic steel structure with glass pane walls, Nautilus Gifts looks bigger on the outside than it is on the inside. Here, you'll find some unique souvenirs and collectibles. Many fit the theme of Discovery Bay, but you will also find some non-Disney, science fiction, and nautically-related items as well. There is some neat stuff here that you won't find elsewhere in the park.

Not all of Discovery Bay features the likeliness of inventors and gold miners. In fact, the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge, located under the shadow of Mount Prometheus, stands for another great factor of the 19th century: adventure. Trophy heads and woodcrafted animals decorate the lavish grill and bar, all the while a series of large windows provide majestic views of the prehistoric volcano. Another great explorer finds representation in the form of James Cook's, the man responsible for making contact with Hawai'i, Australia, New Zealand, and many other islands across the Atlantic and Pacific. James Cook's, held within a combination of an old British galleon and retro-futuristic escape pod, sells science fiction and vintage explorer-related merchandise, as well as items unique to the Discovery Bay area.

~ ~ ~

And there we have Discovery Bay! I hope I did justice to Tony Baxter's glorious original concept. And by the way, I must say that my biggest inspiration apart from the original Baxter concept was @MANEATINGWREATH's own concept for Discovery Bay from his 2016 Dream Disney Resort thread.

Next post should be along tomorrow afternoon. Until then, if you have any comments, be sure to post them. I'd love to know what you guys think about Discovery Bay!

Last edited:

Suchomimus

By day, the visage of the Port Disney Tramp Steamer Line fills Imagination Lagoon with motion and activity, escorting guests to New Orleans Bayou, Alta Pueblo and Arendelle.
A second station for the Port Disney Tramp Steamer sits not too far away in a Victorian-era boating dock.
Are you changing the route? I also saw that there was no mention of a station in New Orleans Bayou.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
This is really great even with adding the lore of the Society of Explorers & Adventurers I wonder which land, and/or attraction in Port Disney is going to be part of the S.E.A lore next?
Novus Harbor is going to be the only land at Port Disney with S.E.A. connections.

Are you changing the route? I also saw that there was no mention of a station in New Orleans Bayou.
Drat! I completely forgot about that. No, Discovery Bay will not have a steamer stop. It'll just sail through on its way to Alta Pueblo.

And speaking of which...

~ ~ ~

Alta Pueblo

DfXwrV9O9F5LB0Yfs-f--3oyNMfz-ocj5NRqhKmdbrR0dmrDtzxhmbKlKiwiJDSa6jHgeHSkMjLjghXQ3gTvK1mmEvRDx7cvGZKUNskv6GdSFGhuF7J7-Jvod8cU5tmItzkGlX6o

Imagine the Pueblo de los Angeles circa 1820. New Spain is about to give way to Mexican Independence. The dusty, sun-baked village is a mixture of Spanish and native influences, full of adobe bricks, red tile roofs and finely-carved woodwork. This is Alta Pueblo. Designed to serve as a counterpoint to Tokyo's Arabian Coast, Alta Pueblo brings the history of Spanish California to Port Disney via this village located right along the banks of the flowing rivers that spread throughout the park. This epic land -- as designed by the always-amazing @D Hindley for Season Four of The Sorcerer's Apprentice -- was just too good not to include in the Port Disney experience.

b2CObZSyzWPlHW9sK9DHW47NFOmYoEeZRnQtBZwx-UuwOQ8bo-zgsIAei04NM-TGOiasWY_atNnRXVnngH66t8da0Zq3NxUf-EjW18rhs8F7D8fMAQEZzjBMnWjLHRyT8GO6ImS2

Walking toward Alta Pueblo from Discovery Bay, the gravel gives way to cobblestone. The pine trees and rolling hills give way to agave and sagebrush among sand and rock formations. Guests enter Alta Pueblo through an aging mission arch. Beyond, they discover an inviting colonial pueblo. Willows and pepper trees provide shade from the Florida heat. An asistencia sub-mission stands amidst native clay huts. Fountains of pink sandstone divide the paseos. Everywhere there are details like tile murals or colorful papel picado banners. In the center of Alta Pueblo is Mariachi Plaza, where musicians play Spanish guitar, senoritas dance the flamenco, and charros display their roping tricks.

Directly to the left as you enter is Sabor del Toro, a rancho cart grilling up quick-service meals, meant to be enjoyed in an expansive eating garden overlooking the sights and sounds of Mariachi Plaza. Sabor del Toro is a neighbor to Tienda Avila, an open-air marketplace offering Mexican and Spanish handcrafts. Directly to the right as you enter is Teatro de Charros, playing host to live displays of horsemanship and music based on the storied history of the Mexican cowboy.

Alta Pueblo is dominated by a grandiose hacienda estate perched atop a cliff. This is the home of Don Diego de la Vega, but you may know him best by his alias...

ibL1KBj66W9ZqfOwpiKG6DQ7dRgIMj-uJxaIKsZj7fsiRS2TjNhddzZY1M5pjPSoGEpWFlEPe2mhmzsGq6Hc85GYh64-w47Fvsi2D7pIV29XRzDkHW79lQ9Jj_PuVNsMeR0XCu3K

When it comes to Disney's vast history with television, many agree that one of their best series was Zorro. The story of a man living in Spanish California, fighting evil and injustice under one of the most famous aliases of all time, was a smash success back in the '50s, and it still remains a seminal classic today. Plus, don't'cha just love that theme song? Yet, the show remains underrepresented among today's Disney classics. Well, Port Disney seeks to remedy this situation with one of their signature E-tickets: The Myth of Zorro.

The Myth of Zorro sends guests on a grand adventure with the famous horseman. In this twelve-minute ride, we learn that the San Fernando Valley is in grave danger. Zorro's wicked and ruthless enemy, Governor Monastario, is planning a man-made dam so that he may control the water rights, thus making the poor people stuck under his tyrannical thumb suffer more. Needless to say, this does not sit well with Zorro, and as such, we hop aboard our own boat to join Zorro on his quest to stop the Governor's nefarious plans and restore peace to his home. Carved into the granite walls at the exit to the attraction is a small post-ride shop, The Governor's Goods, where Zorro resells Governor Monastario's ill-gotten gains back to the people of Alta Pueblo. Here too is a primitive camera obscura which projects on-ride photos of the final drop, an ideal souvenir to memorialize the journey, as well as replicas of the fox's costume and fake swords. Of course, Zorro himself often meets guests in front of his hacienda. Much like Elena of Avalor, Zorro is bilingual, so he can communicate with guests in English
y en español.

Hacienda de la Vega also serves as the home of a table-service restaurant, basically being to Port Disney what Blue Bayou Restaurant is to Disneyland. Hacienda de la Vega offers a romantic and haunting "exterior," housed completely indoors, like a spectacular permanent movie set, caught the imaginations and paintbrushes of several Imagineers. Capturing the eerie but strangely idyllic mood of the San Fernando Valley at night, with the melancholy but welcoming light from the hacienda, Hacienda de la Vega is perhaps Port Disney's most elegant dining location, a timeless capture of the romance, beauty and elegance of Spanish California in the glow of twilight. Here we might dine under the moon and stars while boats carrying passengers aboard The Myth of Zorro drift by, just before charting their course for adventure. A patio barbecue, complete with iron roasting pit, serves as the major cooking area, offering Spanish meat and fish delicacies, alongside Mexican favorites such as empanadas and tostadas.

coco596d30d0192bd.jpg

But Zorro isn't the only Disney story represented here. The 2017 Pixar classic Coco also gets representation here through an all-new dark ride: Recuérdame -- La Leyenda de Coco. Take Peter Pan's Flight, combine it with the spectacle and story of E.T. Adventure, and then translate that with new modern-day effects, and you'll have this epic new attraction. Hopping aboard the back of our own alebreje, we fly through the Land of the Dead, re-living the story of how one Miguel Rivera helped to bring music back to his family, and at the same time, uncovered the truth behind his lineage. Miguel himself often meets guests nearby the ride, guitar in hand. Now that the music ban is lifted, he is free to play music anytime he wants -- not only because he loves to play, but also so he can honor the legacy of his long-lost great-great-grandfather, Hector.

~ ~ ~

And thus, we have the fourth land of Port Disney behind us. Only three more lands remain before we start going through a couple of rides here at the park, and we'll discover the first of those three in the next post. So, until the next post comes around, please feel free to post whatever comments you may have! It's all very much appreciated!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Novus Harbor being the only land to S.E.A *points at Discovery Bay* oh really?
Oh, that completely slipped my mind. But frankly, the only S.E.A. link is Jason Chandler. I don't think Ned Land and Professor Marvel would be retroactively signed in to S.E.A.

~ ~ ~

Pirates' Cove

9irD7qXYaBHY3pBJrfChpHJzbB_w-mBcn2IEu7RrEsHjUieWDQH5EpCjYi5gSS_pHnbEneRr8u6euL0LFar0XavqIbZ2HBYvvi5SRQ7psWuqJkZJ6NWGPaMAfDBB_SEpDyja6PwS

As we travel east from Alta Pueblo, we begin to spot the skeletal remnants of former pirates among the reeds and brambles, many having fallen just short of their earthly duties. A captain, by the look of his decayed uniform, stands impaled against a palm tree, a cutlass run thru his chest. In his tri-cornered hat, a seagull sits, having made its nest within the hat. The half-submerged crow’s nest of a since-sunken galleon plays home to yet another deceased buccaneer, still gazing at passers-by with his rusted telescope.

Ocean bluffs and crooked palms cast their shadow upon the ruddy wreckage of many an unfortunate vessel, their tattered flags and sails still swaying in the coolness of an ocean breeze. Amid the tropics, shipwrecks, waterfalls, palms and jagged rocks of this foreboding oceanfront, the structural remnants of a former colony preside along the edge of a storied lagoon; ancient, well-worn, forgotten by time. The battle-scarred La Fortaleza (that's Spanish for "The Fortress") towers above the shoreline, a once-empowered stronghold meant to protect the once-thriving seaport from unwanted visitors. Tragically, their efforts were proven futile; the iconic skull and crossbones of the Jolly Roger fly proudly from the highest tower.

Entering thru a secret entrance in the fort’s armory - crafted in the shape of a large cannonball - we find ourselves meandering thru the gloom and mystery of La Fortaleza’s dark dungeons and arsenals, frozen in time, left as they were in the fort’s prime. A crumbling passage leads our path into a Blue Lagoon at twilight, where we hop aboard a cargo ship for an unforgettable voyage…

jhfgdfs.jpg

Alongside Jack Sparrow, the most charismatic rogue to ever sail the West Indies, we embark on a voyage on, over, and under the deep blue in Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure. In this epic attraction straight from Shanghai Disneyland, we set sail for glory and adventure. In search of Davy Jones' sunken plunder, we cross paths with mermaids, pirates and the monstrous Kraken, stirring into a climactic duel between Sparrow and Jones aboard the wreckage of the Flying Dutchman. But beware, as you may know, "dead men tell no tales..."

n017807_2050jan01_blue-lagoon-restaurant_16-9.jpg

The Blue Lagoon Restaurant lays cast beneath the stars, adjacent to the calm waters of a twilit lagoon. Seafood and steak is what’s for dinner at this quaint veranda tucked along the shores of the Caribbean Sea. Having once been owned by Edward "Blackbeard" Teach, we dine at candlelit tables under colorful strings of lanterns and tattered flags, soothing waves crashing against the sandy shore. The soothing rustle of the wind, the symphonic murmur of exotic birds, and the light of a pale moon set our stage for a luxurious meal fit for the finest captain, inspired by the Blue Bayou of Disneyland's own Pirates of the Caribbean.

Upon disembarking from our own battle for sunken treasure, we take a detour thru Pieces of Eight, where storefront windows display glittering jewels, treasure chests, gold doubloons and grinning skulls. Inside: a plethora of pirate loot - toy rifles, fool’s coins and gems, plastic swords, hook-for-hand replacements, miniature telescopes, eye patches and more.

treasure-cove-night-gated-path-shanghai-disneyland.jpg

As we depart from the hallowed halls and remains of La Fortaleza, our travels bring us to what remains of this former seaport, past a collapsed structure or two, and into a dockside collection of shops, merchant stalls, and converted storehouses, filled to overflowing with imported goods - stolen or otherwise - from around the world, starting with the glistening House of Treasure. Tortuga Tavern recalls the drama and excitement of an authentic pirate's tavern, complete with crooked card games, mountains of rum, and the orange light of flickering lanterns. Tortuga Tavern is our one-stop shop for hot dogs, short ribs and the almighty turkey leg of Disney lore. The friendly folks at Honest Marooned Pete’s welcome us to a remote soft serve yogurt, ice cream, juice and smoothie stand owned and operated by Honest Marooned Pete, a bearded fellow long-since trapped on the island after a seabound gambling crusade went horribly wrong. The stand is even set up in the hull of his overturned rowboat! Honest Marooned Pete himself never makes an appearance in the flesh, but his hand-drawn image appears on many of the crude posters advertising his "honest deals."

abebdbca6e805eb29679311e1ac2a66b.jpg

The Black Pearl, Captain Jack Sparrow's famed ship, sits proudly on the dark surface of the lagoon. An appropriate bridge connects the mainland to the infamous vessel, allowing us to explore the inner and outer sanctums of Jack Sparrow's beloved ship. Guests can scout all of the hidden artifacts, treasure maps, the cursed medallions and even the Dead Man’s Chest throughout the hull of the ship, collected by Captain Barbossa, Captain Jack Sparrow and the entire crew of the Black Pearl throughout their excursions. Interactive elements are naturally in great supply, including but not limited to an animatronic Jack the Monkey and a rum cellar that has been recently emptied...sigh...why is the rum always gone? Deep in the hull of the ship, lies a watery, gloomy passage. Here, guests can experience a simulated attack by the formidable Kraken, who seemingly drags the ship underwater! In another passage of the Black Pearl, a meet-and-greet is hosted with Captain Jack Sparrow himself. On the deck, guests can witness real pirates doing their daily chores of pillaging and plundering, they can use real telescoped the scout out the secrets of Pirate's Cove and use the interactive water features to blast away their onlookers, particularly those passing by on the Port Disney Tramp Steamer.

uuaLpOgP7Ch6tGRFLSFccmuwoMX2ZJeQhw4-LoRtIbOTtTNUQLMBapjuBVf16pK6ZwEtatHfMp8-nagzZMA-iNTfXhoyN2VYyqq-YM6yKVgDr7xkbYnBNaQS2iJd8wBvL79dLmlh

La Fortaleza looks toward the ancient waters of an ominous oceanfront: Dead Man’s Lagoon. By foot, we cross a rickety suspension bridge ‘cross shark-infested waters and to the edge of Adventure Isle. Thundering waterfalls, unkempt forests, crumbling shipwrecks, and mysterious caverns craft the mystical, well-traversed realm of Adventure Isle. Seeming to have been ripped from the pages of Treasure Island, the foreboding wilderness would have brought a ray of sunshine into the heart of Blackbeard or Long John Silver. From the moment we step foot in the sand of the quaint shore, we seem to recall the opening sequence of Muppet Treasure Island - a steamy, Caribbean jungle teeming with dark secrets…

Skull Rock - of Peter Pan fame - stands to the island's southern shore, a mysterious beacon of exploration and discovery. Inside, a network of haunted caves and eerie grottoes echo the fateful "Tiger Lily incident." Lush waterfalls, slow-rising tides and unfortunate skeletons, still chained to the cavern walls, set the stage for Captain Hook and Peter Pan, eternally locked in combat in an alcove high above. The grinning Tick-Tock Croc hungrily eyes the familiar silhouette of Captain Hook from a pool below, patiently awaiting his "codfish dinner." From Skull Rock, we "follow the leader" into a lush forest of tropical blossoms and rushing streams. Fanciful trees, fallen redwoods and technicolor rock formations immerse us into the unreal, fantasy world of Neverland. Neverland Trail takes us far from the Caribbean Sea and into the unusual environs of the "second star to the right." Silk Hat Falls - John Darling's top hat seen floating in the river - takes us through a lush riverbed of cool falls, whitewater rapids and spinning rocks to play on, including the world-famous Castle Rock. Naturally, a large hippo lives in the adjacent pool, often emerging from beneath the top hat (subsequently wearing it) and billowing a refreshing mist from its nostrils.

In Banana Country, mischievous apes lurk in the dense canopy, attempting to snag hats, bags and glasses from passing explorers. Telescopes, crafted from bamboo and banana peels, provide stunning views of Pirate's Cove across the lagoon. A rugged trail leads into a clearing of tall grass and giant boulders, aptly labeled as Rhino Rock. Discarded relics from past expeditions will summon a large rhinoceros from its slumber in the tall grass. Tall redwoods and pines mark the entrance to Hibernation Wood. As Hibernation Wood marks the end of Neverland Trail, the only true element here is that of a grizzly bear reclined on a large rock, fast asleep, snoring loudly. Of course, some displaced logs here and there provide ample "playground equipment" in this natural wonderland. It seems only fitting that Hook, Smee, Peter Pan and Wendy make meet 'n' greet appearances along the Neverland Trail, often engaging in mischievous antics with one another.

0YlVU0CwrZ_bc4TxJWcHH7c5CjKkytWe23NS4Sa-tng-bE7tz4Ks2rqmJVN7AFfWQnageKMfVdrNaerL3lJjuHIKQTwpghL4GsqxJEmGFFoWByzX4-gzqw7-_y7Eaydw8U-rw6Ci

Smuggler's Cove, a virtual "graveyard of lost ships," finds its namesake in the sheer amount of illegal activities and foul trades that have happened here in the past. Several wrecks and hulls have washed ashore, where decaying timber and hordes of barnacles create a haunting, subaquatic playground. A capstan wheel levies a treasure chest from beneath the surface of the lagoon, revealing a skeletal brigand still hanging on. Rusted pumps allow us to pump seawater from a waterlogged wreckage, revealing long-lost skeletons still in possession of their earthly treasures. Nautical figureheads of an argumentative king and mermaid mark the entrance to Pontoon Bridge, which connects the shores of a rocky inlet, rocking and splashing in the lagoon when crossed, often uncovering bits of wreckage and displaced treasures beneath the shallow seawater.

0A2u6g6ttdRWsItvAzFnK1BwrmqGz5FAV6neUsE0Besa9_Srm5x23CJAU9xSMjUK9HCNuAqoJV1fQSq7wAitBTQpv2cHRGId2cvBUzYTItfsML8iiPUESK0QZCu38skLKmG2G6PA

A vast labyrinth of subterranean caverns and paths harken to the ghostly catacombs of Paris: Dead Man’s Grotto. On a bold journey in the vein of Robinson Crusoe, we pass a collection of crude warnings - a la Injun Joe’s Cave - and enter a tunnel haunted with the eternal howl of an unseen hurricane. Lush waterfalls pour down into underground pools thru jagged fissures in the rocks alongside glistening crystals, stalagmites, and stalactites. The skeletal victims of an ancient sea battle appear strewn throughout the grotto, acting in lieu of furniture and decor. Thru an archway built from ribs and skulls, a dark path brings us to the underground lair of Mcgillicutty the Musical Sea Monster. With his pencil-thin mustache and starched collar, the operatic sea serpent sings in every known octave - bass, soprano, alto, tenor - and will happily perform an aria to a backdrop of dancing fountains and technicolor waterfalls before diving back beneath the surface with a thunderous splash.

Decayed rowboats and slashed sails mark our transition into a new portion of the cavern, thus unexplored by mortal men… Mysterious shapes run past beneath the surface of the surrounding waters, perhaps being sharks or some other fish… The haunting refrain of “My Jolly Sailor Bold” rings out as we come eye-to-eye with the skeletal remains of a perished mermaid, bound and tied to the wreckage of a small skiff. This chamber - Siren’s Keep - is the subterranean dwelling of nightmares and despair - land of the mermaids. Occasionally, the slightly-visible mermaids will engage in a feeding frenzy, screeching and howling, not showing what exactly they’re dining on. Quickly, we trek forward, wishing to explore a presumably safer stretch of this endless cavern…

The howl of a ghostly wind, rolling thunder and a frightening scream (perhaps one and the same with the Wicked Witch of Snow White) welcomes us to the Chamber of the Bottomless Pit, where, as expected, one could fall for an eternity...

smitaRdZucyj2dowX4jZclo-d8IEOp2WcIQiRG6JPw4mnUUz_A678Wh-mGucPqSeYLlCMttn4IXKMrOYyh0fFyQycx-9QYYstvqHzPF9AyZzDStqWvIMkVOrx0Xvs6LMfc7WhSSW

A possessed harpsichord plucks away at the familiar theme of "Yo Ho (A Pirate’s Life for Me)" from its pedestal in the once-lavish interior of a sunken galleon, now completely submerged fathoms below the surface and deep into the earth. Jagged rocks and waterfalls surround the Crew’s Quarters on the starboard side, a dockside tavern stocked with every grog, rum and whiskey known to piratedom. A pair of skeleton patrons drink in splendor, eternally bound to a cobweb-draped bar-top. One buccaneer guzzles an endless pull of firewater from his glowing, red bottle. Large droplets drip into strategically placed pots and pans below, while in the background, girlish giggles and giddy chuckling emit from a spiral staircase leading into the abyss. A pair of fossilized cats warm themselves by an absent fire, as does a skeletal parrot in a stocking cap, frozen atop its cutlass-perch.

On the opposite side of the passage, the finely appointed quarters of a ghostly sea captain are found in the Captain’s Quarters. The old captain lies in his bed, surrounded by the spoils of a lifetime of piracy. With his slender fingers, he clutches a magnifying glass over an outspread treasure map, magnifying his hollowed eye socket to grotesque proportions. On a nearby perch, another, but this time living parrot resides, blissfully unaware of the meaning behind its mindless chatter.

EjRQtb-ZcVzdFTgAGM1YIVk2MjOhTdvPB4WHKGyhSUi_MjR0l--ehdk_g-Uo9WJUZ5aHPvRCiCTYFm2juvhEZqj7jopVBNwTHwKBGNmps-XJ7UGN3z4MeepStVNhCYJFpoZg-Dlh

Flint's Treasure Cave is our last stop in the sprawling maze of Dead Man’s Grotto, the infamous treasure cache of Captain Flint himself. From atop a mountain of gold doubloons, jewels, and pieces of eight is the skeleton of Captain Flint himself, having returned in the afterlife to his beloved hideaway. Four of his doomed crew members lay at the base of the "mountain," having been shot dead by Flint long ago. The evil captain examines a stack of doubloons in his gnarled hand, an old pistol in the other. Sharks can be seen lurking near the shore, perhaps welcomed by Flint as "built-in" security...

~ ~ ~

And there we have Pirate's Cove! I must admit, most of this came from the Dream Disney Resort of @MANEATINGWREATH, so all credit goes out to him on this count. Only two more lands in the park, and they're both based on beloved Disney fairy-tales. But first and foremost, we shall take a look at the land based more on an older classic...

Until the next post, please feel free to post whatever comments or feedback you may have!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Let's dive on in to the next-to-last land of Port Disney...

~ ~ ~

Atlantica

mermaid_lagoon.jpg

"Somewhere under the sea, and beyond your imagination, lies an adventure in fantasy..."

The only land to come in full from Tokyo DisneySea (not counting Mysterious Island -- the attractions of which are part of an entirely different land here at Port Disney), Atlantica brings us "under the sea" and into the world of The Little Mermaid. There is probably no other Disney movie more apropos to be featured in a nautical-based theme park than this 1989 classic, and for good reason. Who hasn't dreamed of exploring Ariel's undersea kingdom for themselves? Plus, it works well with continuity among the other parks. Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom has their Little Mermaid area themed around Prince Eric's castle, whereas Atlantica here at Port Disney brings Triton's kingdom to vivid life.

scuttles_scooters.jpg

Even before you step foot inside Triton's castle, the tropical and whimsical feeling hits you like a tidal wave. A seaside bluff of sand, palm trees and curved rocks offers a unique touch to the layout of Port Disney. However, it should be noted that most of the attractions found here in Atlantica are mostly carnival rides thematically integrated to blend in with their surroundings. This is because Atlantica was made with children in mind, and even if you don't intend to ride them, they are still beautiful to look at. Flounder's Flying Fish Coaster is a fairly-tame roller-coaster, lasting no longer than a minute. In this ride, Flounder has invited his fish friends for a soaring ride around a tidepool. It's quite charming, and offers younger adventurers a stepping stone to help transition into bigger thrill rides, like Journey to the Center of the Earth. Scuttle's Scooters takes you on a circular trip on the back of a sand crab with some gentle rises and falls.

tlmrideconcepts_01.jpg

A new addition not found in Tokyo DisneySea, Sebastian's Spin is your average run-of-the-mill carousel. Inspired by the original concept art for a Little Mermaid attraction, Sebastian's Spin puts you not aboard the back of a horse, but upon a fish. You can ride aboard a seahorse, a pufferfish, or even aboard the backs of Flounder and Sebastian themselves! As you spin, the sweet sounds of steel-drums -- instead of your usual carousel organ -- play a variety of tunes from The Little Mermaid. Not too far from Sebastian's Spin, built right nearby the bridge separating Atlantica from Arendelle, is a gazebo where Ariel -- upon her human legs -- and Prince Eric meet guests.

With the outside taken care of, let us now explore what lies within the walls of Triton's castle. The exterior of the underwater kingdom is absolutely stunning. A fluid design accented by giant seashells, coral, and kelp, it is a structure befitting royalty. It is especially beautiful at night, when ever-changing light patterns and fiber optic special effects turn the structure into a show of its own.

of_mermaid_lagoon_005.jpg

But on the inside, it's a whole different story. The inside of the underwater kingdom is nearly as beautiful as the outside. Brilliant use of lighting effects help set the mood, as you are surrounded by kelp and coral formations, glowing jellyfish, and other creatures of the sea. As I stated in a previous post, both this and the Nemo sub-section of Australia at Disney's Animal Kingdom are able to co-exist because of how they present themselves. Nemo presents itself in a more realistic manner, whereas Atlantica is rooted in pure fantasy.

Inside, we find three more carnival rides. First, we have Jumping Jellyfish, a version of the classic parachute attraction. Boarding a large seashell (clutched by jellyfish tentacles), one of several oversized jellyfish pulls us up and down at varying speeds for a "jumpin'" good time, providing stunning views of the aquatic sub-area in the process, not to mention simulating one of the most memorable scenes from Finding Nemo. Next, we have the Blowfish Balloon Race, a gondola-style spinner attraction. Hopping inside a hollowed-out seashell, an overhead blowfish grabs ahold of us via four strands of seaweed and takes us on an "airborne" spin through the "skies" of the colorful reef, a la Flik's Flyers in California. Finally, we have The Whirlpool, a variation on the teacups. While these attractions may not be anything special, it is the highly immersive theming and detail of the area that would really be the main draw. Ariel's Playground is, in fact, a playground for the youngsters. Unlike the typical playground you might see in your local neighborhood, this one is themed to the gills to resemble Ariel's grotto, chock-full of human knick-knacks. It is something akin to Tom Sawyer Island, done Little Mermaid style.

361_main_visual_name_1.jpg

But, if you want to take in something truly spectacular, just look for the sunken ship that marks the entrance to the Mermaid Lagoon Theater, home to Legend of the Little Mermaid. In this epic show, a combination of live performers, large-scale puppets, in-theater effects, projections and audio-animatronics help re-enact the tale of the little mermaid who dreamed to be "part of our world". The theater itself is circular, which means every seat in the house is a good one. Although there is a stage in the center of the theater, the action happens around and above you, as Ariel "swims" around the theater with the help of a flying-wire device. A powerful "storm at sea" engulfs the theater in water. And that's not even mentioning the giant Ursula puppet...

the_sleepy_whale_shoppe.jpg

Triton's kingdom also contains three shops and a restaurant. Among the shops here are The Sleepy Whale Shoppe, set inside the mouth of a giant whale. Here, confectionery, toys and more are for sale, in addition to portraits and silhouettes being created live. Mermaid Treasures is a shop for the ladies in your group, especially the younger ones. You'll find perfumes and other toiletries, along with jewelry and clothing items, all with a Little Mermaid touch. Finally, Kiss de Girl Fashions primarily sells themed apparel for adults and children. A variety of other Little Mermaid souvenirs are also available.

sebastians_calypso_kitchen.jpg

The major restaurant here is Sebastian's Calypso Kitchen, a counter-service restaurant that specializes in pizza. Although traditional pizza is highlighted here, you can also get something quite apropos for an underwater setting: seafood pizza. There are also calzones, pastas, and a wide variety of tasty side dishes.

~ ~ ~

One more land to go, and then we'll take a look at a few of the attractions featured here in the park! Until then, please keep the feedback coming, and I'll see you in the next post, which should drop later today!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Here we are...the last land of Port Disney!

~ ~ ~

Arendelle

vS8EtOy_xS08s1SyMw1lAw-JRmDpoDeUSDNQc7pskLQQk1aGXY8yUWY0emCfzNwNM1XvBNEfK91eNaRnPGqytr6kuEYTqeVH_qM1gt9Zqt4NtyyDNSKv_8e2vJ-TBRM16KKWhiIz

Frozen became a cultural phenomenon after its global release in November of 2013. The film dethroned The Lion King as the highest grossing film to come from Walt Disney Animation Studios, and became a de-facto fairytale of the 2010s, instantly cemented as a classic forever on par with The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. The stunning score, storyline, and gorgeous animation made Frozen a timeless film, quickly spawning a number of spin-offs, shorts and a sequel in 2019. It was only inevitable for the film to be represented in the Disney Parks. Following the tremendous successes of Frozen-based lands in Hong Kong Disneyland, Tokyo DisneySea and Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris, a fourth Frozen land was cemented as part of the opening-day experiences found at Port Disney.

A gentle stream brings the waters of Imagination Lagoon into the fjord of Arendelle. The calm lagoon basks in the glow of the overhead sun, its dancing reflection cast across the land. As the story goes, we are visiting Arendelle shortly after the events of Frozen. Now that the endless winter is over and the long-estranged sisters have reconciled, the gates to Arendelle Castle are now and forever officially open again! And to celebrate, Elsa and Anna are inviting one and all to come celebrate "Summer Snow Day".

Amidst a grove of tall pines on the outskirts of Pirate's Cove, Wandering Oaken's Trading Post (and Sauna) welcomes us so called "weary travelers" to its year-round "Big Summer Blowout!" The friendly Oaken sells any and all things Frozen, including fresh carrot-snacks and winter-wear exclusive to the Fantasyland mercantile. Oaken’s backyard sauna, clearly built to resemble the Gol Stave Church of Oslo, Norway, hisses and trembles from the excess of steam within, often accommodated by a chorus of friendly "Yoohoos!" A gazebo provides a set of ornate telescopes for fantastic views of the mighty castle across the waters of the fjord. But before we explore the castle, we’ll continue to explore the shops and eateries of Arendelle in all its magical splendor, and see how the town itself is celebrating this special occasion.

RMv84r4G7thQKistVTWHkzjhKpv39hFf8OSypZrjvSiYXw6rHn3dqf2gXxO7k1k79UKOoIF9d0da_5knuHpDLXgxDEZWwKciyb46weYkaTh9Ge3SXbWqaXdvTNJhVDtH8061dbYU

Across a cobblestone footbridge and into the heart of town, we first visit Troll Handel (that's Norwegian for "The Troll’s Dungeon"), marked by a wooden troll beckoning for passers by to drop-in for a spell. Miniature trolls, authentic glassware and other imports of the Scandinavian culture are all for sale. The neighboring Restaurant Ved Elven ("Restaurant by the River") basks along the water’s edge from a dockside dining area, its menu: lefse for breakfast and meatballs for dinner, just to name a few. Olaf’s Holiday Hearth celebrates the splendor of the season - each season in fact, from the summer to the spring. Each holiday is showcased in a unique and interchanging collection of ornaments, miniature villages and handmade decor. The glistening, ice-crafted tree of Olaf’s Frozen Adventure twinkles come December, its glistening lights casting an illumination for the impressive display of nutcrackers, boselwood trinkets and tiny villages awash in the Christmas spirit. Arendelle Treats fills the air with the wafting scent of its freshly baked pastries and candies, an “old world” bakery typical of a Norwegian bakeshop. Of course, expect to find lots and lots of chocolate-related goodies.

The frozen - literally - fountain in the heart of town marks the entrance to the lavish and celebrated Crown Jewel Theater, noted for its soaring clock tower-turned glockenspiel. Once at our seat, we are invited to join in the fun of For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration, a comical re-telling of the story of how true love thawed the frozen heart, narrated by a comical duo of historians, Erik and Aria. On-screen lyrics and apperances by Anna, Elsa and Kristoff make for one musically fun time for all. It all ends with a spectacular chorus of “Let it Go”, which culminates in an indoor-snowfall, respectively.

2fi2IaaEE3v61pBhCk96QnSe2ZsWBYBteI_uTv3dtxlYX1BITZaBCIJb5uttnWrlpB0QRaca0fHaLXqV197dMRtngMqo3Udlw8Da28MgxE3Nz2aGTof3BkIqsnWaz3T_dwAnydUT

The spectacular facade of Arendelle Castle stands proudly along the banks of the fjord. At first glance, a flurry of snowflakes appear to constantly flow heavenward from the highest tower, perhaps the doing of an unseen Elsa. Regal bunting bearing the back-to-back silhouettes of Elsa and Anna points our path down a cobblestone road and to the wide-open gates of the fantastical palace. Inside, we are cordially invited to enjoy a personal audience with the heroes of Frozen. A quick tour of Arendelle Castle's well-appointed halls and chambers ends in a spacious greeting chamber, where Anna, Elsa, Kristoff and Olaf are waiting, ready to share "warm hugs" with all those who come to meet them.

Character-hunters can also take advantage of a few special costume variants. Compared to the more informal Royal Sommerhus at EPCOT, Anna is found here in the Castle wearing her coronation gown. And during the holiday season, Anna, Elsa and Olaf are decked out in their finest winter apparel, as seen in Olaf's Frozen Adventure.

On the farthest outskirts of the kingdom is the mighty North Mountain, where Elsa's ice palace resides. The North Mountain is truly a glorious natural sight, and the perfect place for photo ops. A mysterious cave is built into the mountain, our entrance into an expanded and revitalized experience...

V5kQ6bd_GhDQ4yijT5WOo0JpHipwiOJERJI0p0UNzbGE4CrLKXS3bH92MDKMVssr1q9n__-2brefdw8Mq8f3pMjQPUQAtegnSpKDDJN-g2hEtXhR4JUZJkfPhCrwGjb9qvXCYUnN

Frozen Ever After, moved here from EPCOT, offers us a chance to explore the North Mountain for ourselves. At the farthest edge of the cave is a dock in Arendelle Harbor at night, as lanterns flicker in the frosted town's windows. Here, we hop aboard our very own ice-cutter's sled.

kNNHVTr5-Q0QnDwft1EWwKv7fxDAVgjTFgt4maauuboetHuMKgF1AhGgtZsAtUU9ELMo_bUuFJ2xf6wLK_FeG-HqiadWum70uls5I_8VixK1i5vqXefoU84q8REzarqePAVAf24p

A supernatural, frozen grotto seems magical in its own right, never mind the appearance of Olaf, an Audio-Animatronics figure among the new generation of Disney’s advanced Audio-Animatronics figures. The incredible figure blinks, gestures, walks, jumps, and sings. Soon, we are rubbing shoulders with some "boulders" - aka Kristoff's family from Troll Valley - before bracing for the cold high up in the icy blue world of the North Mountain, Queen Elsa’s enchanted ice palace. The enchanting "Summer Snow Day Celebration" - complete with Anna, Kristoff, Sven, and Elsa - is sure to melt even the coldest of hearts.

One thing to say about EPCOT's Frozen Ever After is that the story is kind of lackluster. When you use up a small space, there's only so much you can tell. Here, with an expanded space, we are able to expand upon that story. Here, the story is that Anna needs to go up the North Mountain in order to pick up Elsa before the Summer Snow Day celebration begins back in Arendelle, and she's asking us to come along for the ride.

~ ~ ~

And that is the seventh and last area of Port Disney! With that, I think it's time to highlight a few of the rides here. Expect the first ride-through to come by tomorrow, but in the meantime, I will share with you a link to the magazine my team made for Novus Harbor in The Sorcerer's Apprentice. This magazine will offer you a look at Biblioteca Novus, the major E-ticket ride for the area.

Until tomorrow, please post any comments or feedback and I'll see you in the next post!

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Sorry for not getting this up tomorrow as I promised. I just had a lot to do yesterday, and I was too tired to work on it. But now that I'm well-rested, here's the first ride-through for Port Disney.

But first, here's a bonus: a layout for the park as a whole. I had to switch Alta Pueblo and Pirate's Cove around so that they could fit within the land layout. And BTW, if some pathways between the two pictures are a bit wonky, well, I had to do this map in two because the space was a bit too big, and I didn't want to zoom out because I wanted to make sure every detail got in.

Port Disney layout III.png

Port Disney layout II.png

~ ~ ~

The Myth of Zorro

ibL1KBj66W9ZqfOwpiKG6DQ7dRgIMj-uJxaIKsZj7fsiRS2TjNhddzZY1M5pjPSoGEpWFlEPe2mhmzsGq6Hc85GYh64-w47Fvsi2D7pIV29XRzDkHW79lQ9Jj_PuVNsMeR0XCu3K

Let us travel back in time to Old California, to an era of Spanish rule. It is a time of romance and danger. The Spanish nobility rules Alta California, subjugating its indigenous peoples. But one man stands up for the powerless! That man is Zorro, a mysterious vigilante in a mask and cape, who steals from the rich, who rights wrongs, who battles the corrupt Governor Monastario. Now let us battle alongside Zorro on an atmospheric boat ride.

The ride's exterior is based around the grandiose hacienda of Don Diego de la Vega, otherwise known as Zorro. Guests reach the hacienda grounds via a stone bridge crossing Arroyo Murrieta. From here, the mansion’s baroque entry leads to the Hacienda de la Vega table service restaurant. Ride entry is through a natural rock arch in the shape of a Z. This leads to a shaded veranda overflow queue through the hacienda gardens, full of fountains, flowers and decorative rancho equipment. (While the queue is designed with parallel paths to allow for FastPass+ implementation, the ride’s gigantic capacity makes FastPass+ largely unneeded.)

NrSpNf-xJMq0oKqEBOMDVFsWA2yBmX4B5ICC8uyg4zV_ENVFp205S1X__7GnoYMUCAfdAm7lo56HmpSsR8AvpD1JudjyrO379pnIigoU_6ABZCZQj_dt7HsAM5sN-zzn2iu781Ox

A mansion side entrance and the sounds of a Spanish guitar lead guests into de la Vega's private library. It is a comforting space, full of rafters, Toledo steel and priceless antiques. A massive oil painting of de la Vega rests over the fireplace, depicting him as a foppish dandy. His book collection is full of swashbuckling heroes like Robin Hood and the Scarlet Pimpernel, a hint to de la Vega’s true identity. After all, who would ever guess that this effete gentleman is actually the dashing Zorro? Further details reveal more. A vast mural depicts a map of California as it was once misinterpreted – as an island off the coast of America. Manuscripts lay out the history of Governor Monastario, of his struggles against rebellious Mexican nationalists, his dedication to the Spanish crown.

EM0AMNQeocFrpJkNqyAJDLA9ICSL62Pc_uCLCpEVR1oHQEd9L9jofjoO1dLZ4c8DAkXnlbdPOHhX0w8_d_YK-a5guJ5u3t2RbeOH5S66-1zo-vdqGSLqFnjCANM3Vrm2OBL_I94I

One bookcase sits ajar. Guests round it and discover a secret passageway leading under the house. They roam candle-lined tunnels, further and further into the earth (one floor down). Yellowed pamphlets on the wall detail the region’s history. They tell of Zorro's "reign of terror" robbing from corrupt tax collectors. Governor Monastario has set a bounty on the outlaw. On each pamphlet, Monastario's face has been cut away in a Z, the mark of Zorro.

At last guests reach Zorro's secret hideout. A natural granite cavern, home to an underground river, packed to the brim with Zorro's tools-of-the-trade. Rows of rapiers, medieval suits of armor, confiscated riches and a big map of the region detailing land grants and waterways. Amidst the rocks, Zorro has created a cozy apartment with bunk beds and a dinner table. Seeing all these details, guests are primed for adventure!

5AcCymW5w2CHVAbOYD-jom3LJuYK4c9aF_ZGeJT970uVzRMZ5xKVlbc-YpCJJ2z7sf0s-rGfEkTnKQtSIN8_-zyWoH_56Mk5LR3GhY8qaCGR_pQ4VArD-g4qPFTxawzztqahTHre

-ngP7kAcW44_OaiZgjE3E7lp4VPQmvI54Na01CPjCYvCLm-JsksGidyB6vIhQOQYdVLEqXNpQ10_2qUJ9Ndi5HHssftkcudnlhcCFHi0nW4YshPD-w_5MheZHVgwRG56sw-GmW7R

Wooden loading docks lead to bateaux boats. Guests climb aboard aided by cast members dressed as villagers. Other guests unload on the opposite side. The Myth of Zorro uses the same basic ride system as Pirates of the Caribbean, with a few modern upgrades for improved blocking (preventing backups at waterfalls). This allows boats to trigger unique events. The real innovation on display is the artistry. A cast of over 120 animatronics are among the most sophisticated yet created. A timeless experience, one which could be made in any era!

pklMKbqyMMkGYa6l2d_YnPHJDi7RoOVkhoKKQvv7Adn-ENIvZi8oVMhHZS5n-MW-VhJFh4u9wnChaWXniq6u3fS8FCn_V7Y5GJ0t6j6VuDp46ev3JrndMTbc8CPc22yh4CEtPzTw

We drift through the flooded caverns. A wanted poster of Zorro hangs against the rock wall. Distant streams and waterfalls echo…and so does a song… Zorro's iconic theme song echoes through the caverns, sung by mythic unseen spirits. Lightning flashes outside in tune with the music, revealing Zorro’s silhouette against the granite rockwork. The boat ascends a brief lift hill to the mouth of the cave, one floor up. Zorro's mute manservant, Bernardo, sees us off while donning a serape disguise.

oLo-5ohZVvL9jdNzqD7Z_srhdKKP6b0dc649Q2CmXY3NWIrKTsrwTIkEDqczLn8JlgxkbRQ4jB0cr6yVamivTa-hNZkp75MCuQGixuUAAB8FbtvQakK83_31rTBNGlzmXf5ZnUyO

12qKawrPWgRK7QiiicW4VvMyL2mH3jARFIU7Bbc2n0v_cdfk5PNuB94TjvSnMox2igxkv7_jQhV43fEJwDqsskPz7rb3LE0DESdpxGHh6h2p0RWVJ3s7L9jffEGCTksWeuq4qsrN

We exit the cave, out on the wide-open expanse of the San Fernando Valley farmlands at night. The boat drifts languorously along a lush arroyo under glittering stars. Hardened clay divots redirect the waters down an acequia channel, towards the farmland – the poor farmers rely on this water for their livelihoods. Rounding a bend, the back patio of Zorro’s hacienda swarms with life and lights. This is Hacienda de la Vega, a signature table service restaurant with terraced seating offering views of the tranquil river. Slowly, a soundtrack builds which will accompany guests for the entire ride…

(For this attraction, Michael Giacchino shall be composing an original soundtrack for The Myth of Zorro, with variations on Zorro’s Theme. For now, please enjoy the presentation with this temp track of Giacchino’s work on Coco.)

On the opposite bank, a few heads of cattle sip from the stream. There's also an animatronic fox – the symbol of Zorro – who will be seen throughout the ride. Slowly we drift from the patio celebration. Sounds of the river take over. Zorro appears on an outcropping riding his horse, Tornado. He addresses us: "The waterways de los Angeles. Beautiful, no? But dastardly schemes are afoot. Come, let us investigate."

du8AZ_PvdQJz6PzOcidWBxlFjEQs7e6SSViL2va8xOD4A2eZnz5pS7KBDHAyyH6BIVkPl43m0JKgCVw6_LAueVVBRGkN8TY8UcXp_dQ0PbrbQkoW6hGPxaGgkZQs4ObMRIn5w4cW

Large chaparrals line the shore. Hidden in a clearing, we find a band of Chumash natives around a campfire. One fishes in the river. Another grinds acorns. Straw huts dot a hillside. Thatch canoes float hidden under branches. Native life, unspoiled. But further down, there are horses – non-native animals – tied to a trunk. Spanish armor and weaponry piled up amidst boulders. A bell rings across the valley. The boat passes under a mission arch. Dozens of swallows roost in its alcoves. The coming of California's mission system…

fROCr3hpc86Rw7hTw3x5kGZL9Z43P8XPrmo2zse7jmzI58meQLLjdG5p4_ptZ8ToGsIINWkpmJU5gJKX-TwYLyZXBw0zD4jkctX7BQ2o-19RikCqRP1FJ7sUo1lt3vzRkkmSTHtA

The missions were the first Spanish inroads into California. They served as massive farms worked by the natives. That is the scene we now find, the first major animatronic showpiece. Dozens of exhausted natives work rows of grapes and wheat, all overseen by cruel Spanish soldiers with lances. Monks silently linger. The rotund Sergeant Garcia – a familiar foe from the TV show – awkwardly commandeers on horseback, his saddle tilting and threatening to throw him off. Bernardo works disguised among the natives, a spy for Zorro. Zorro himself inspects the scene from atop the oppressive Mission Santa Maria, backlit by the full moon. A small pueblo appears in the distance beyond the mission. Of special note is the mission’s acequia irrigation system: drainage ditches to draw water from the river. In California, water is life. So it’s a bad sign that the waters ahead splash violently, redirected by makeshift adobe canals. The currents draw our boats away from the main watercourse and instead down a freshly-dug ditch.

is6KVOE6djSUO7IRXKrTtwV-XP-IlfpP57Vf7JpBNQf8Cw387vu6mKUQA9nZCJOqVeUkfe55TJeiDAYQl5vt_GdqGQhxeLtlbWJLzyMJitMqL9ecx8ibZO9i80tZKbwamG56aR6b

The redirected waters rush through a tangled oak grove. A stone bridge sits dead ahead, a stagecoach atop it. A holdup is underway, with Spanish soldiers disguised as bandits. And what are these soldiers stealing? A land grant deed from a nobleman on the stagecoach. Suddenly our boat drops down an unexpected waterfall under the bridge, just a single story! We rush under a mess of tree roots. The stolen river winds past crumbling cliffs and into a clearing of jagged sandstone rocks.

PPcnyPwuTeMzz2l8oY-6DXyKvIsox7S2qF2qDMFMhp6ZV0IG5OlxVbVv6HlBcxcN4fA4YMaUnxugyakn3_TjoNgr6vZLHz5oaNPfeRsiWF7X-TnslRHOhqu1KAAgjj7l2IP693Mw

Drifting from the bramble, we discover a parched landscape full of cracked dry riverbeds and rolling tumbleweeds. Thirsty and dying farmlands. Cattle skeletons. Tornadoes of dust. Buzzards in the dead trees. Whoever is stealing the water is creating a drought. On distant hills, silhouetted coyotes howl. Nearby coyotes along the riverbanks snarl menacingly as we pass by.

The milquetoast Governor Monastario surveys from within a spotless carriage. He addresses Sergeant Garcia outside, who drips with mud. Montesario points to a dam in the faraway mountains, clutching a map of the region. "Excellent, Sergeant Garcia. Now we control the water rights. Our stranglehold on this region shall be unbreakable! Ha ha ha!" Zorro spies on Monastario from behind the carriage. He also takes note of the lovely senorita, Anita Cabrillo, within the carriage.

Sob2vW1JXljGLMLMxr9FbTEUVMuyWMZV-wF_1-cefTJ3LbBmR-9JU0QwlCiEqUfvmaq-xkIaB0cLAimqSdwCl66L3YJergpKxMeYcOaWTWHsb9bF9o0BjItiVXx3ezAB9g4LI8Y3

We come across a series of waterwheels and troughs. The boat is caught up in a decaying mill's wooden conveyor – a lift hill which carries us and the water towards the dam. Soldiers and bandits patrol the creaking rafters. There is a noise. We hear the confused sounds of the soldiers. "What was that?!" "It's Zorro!" "You idiot! He's simply a myth." The men aim their muskets. A noise from the other direction. They spin. Further up, a lantern illuminates a Zorro wanted poster. A shadow rushes in, briefly killing the light. When the lantern returns, the poster has a large Z carved into it. On the other side, the shadow leaps down onto a soldier. Light fades, then returns. The soldier is now tied up in rope. The shadow rushes on.

dSA9OlFqi2dgMyevCE1o_ST6HAL1L1U3bd6GwC10Blw-DE0S_LLauSb3A1q-tJMgueHp3BeBhxS8U2PNdGFnsg8yZfN1l5J62qxUp9FQ1LFixkPb_0E7wDCGW7e2GrfGWD2AwFKS

Reaching the top, we arrive in the high mountains. We pass desecrated native cliff dwellings. The waters travel a viaduct across a bridge spanning a mighty ravine. Below is the mission – a future scene. Ahead is a presidio – a Spanish fortress – the soldiers' base of operations. A sentry sleeps drunkenly, surrounded by empty wine bottles.

~ ~ ~

The Myth of Zorro is such a big and bold adventure, that I think one post will not be enough to do it justice. The next leg of the adventure will come by shortly...

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
And now, the final half of The Myth of Zorro...

~ ~ ~

tS_LtjLn9of4K7oGbjz5511oVt7d9CXxDSk8Qs2Ekshwzdl9qaWBLxzD-4Pdqz4uhTnpY8ctsoUvKf8Frw-vtiYLIxE33EcO9ct6RpB6dDaRkNZ6zOwjD3hfevx8cvp9UPJ8P3dW

Through underlit halls of hardened, mossy limestone, we prowl the presidio. Footsteps echo down gated chambers. Soldiers snore in their barrack bunk beds, some clutching ill-gotten goods or wine caskets or dollies. Zorro creeps about in the darkness, still mostly unseen. Briefly, Zorro's silhouette swordfights a soldier's shadow.

f0Jwmv5-8WSMuwMA3L_r5fhDBrAl8gTOZVJHJWOKiMsoV4p1yB9UIAtbV586Rc4TrPyihHjUsUe54jpJ57VBm5pVEFlbvTpKSOO-j3U_2WE6rgxVQM53Lu109c3pwwxIBBAmmVjQ

Then, Zorro physically swings across the waterway! This is a genuine animatronic moment, an evolution of the swinging pirate from Paris. Zorro smashes through a stained-glass window and is gone. A great commotion erupts! Under a drop gate, we reach the armory. The garrison is awake! Soldiers battle surrounded by cannons and muskets and barrels of explosives, firing at Zorro's shadow swashbuckling about. Sergeant Gargia tumbles clumsily against a table, a big Z sliced into his vest. Other soldiers lie under a toppled munitions shelf.

"That’s the outlaw!" we hear the Governor shout. "Stop him, you fools!" Soldiers fire cannons, demolishing far walls (again, all practical effects which reset for each boat). One of these blasted holes redirects the waters outside. We drift through.

FHOeq4zIenE9EaiuKoGJNJEuVaOTh4PDajy7A6WKKly9fGO6HGFsONswyXwpcvugdPsCYIytqLXJEPJzvaFLZtVKlEgPlC2eD4WI8rKXTtCNUER0jrrLMXmdlqmX5RVC-wPdi0db

Ahead is the dam overlooking the valley below. Around it are great carts of explosives stolen from the armory…and their wicks are burning. Zorro casually sits in a Spanish throne, wielding a candle. "Evildoers beware!" Zorro says. "Your cruel misdeeds shall blow up in your face." The dam explodes! We plummet down a drop (no more extreme than on Pirates of the Caribbean), and rush through the dam’s spillway under the viaduct.

VUZJADVTvzlyzSJQ2rj3XcbsdEyTLneisw3-KXFGP3b_JUY6P-WrS30fmtkZzA3WSKUfaHIMqDSnHs6XPAelQkP2wB9-epMsZsTBS1DjG3of8ZXDs8R1W9k79eC_0FJRfyEeJSWN

Onto the agricultural floodplain, now buried under a torrent of dam water. Farming equipment floats, a few soldiers scrambling atop barrels and carts to avoid the flood. The great Mission Santa Maria crumbles. Cracks form. The mighty bell tower has collapsed, now lying against an oak tree spanning our path. We pass under the tower, as the mission bell dangles precariously on a rope, slipping down just above our heads and ringing out!

paTcs6KsWN_JR82qg2mxjyWFuNfcPvLH2GuxUzQqiXPEhRhs5Zkj_EdiRuBwSGmoM4dIuAySCw3oKmJlWQfXfsQMwnysrUUfitrLi1YEzam74seUisr_a4AZA_5qAu8GnWu9L-HN

Sandbags redirect the raging waters, set in place by Bernardo and the villagers to protect their pueblo. This canal drives the waters safely through the Pueblo de los Angeles. We float down the main street, while the peasants' homes stay high and dry. A great show-stopping animatronic finale is underway! The peasants, led by Zorro, are in a heated battle for freedom against the soldiers. Peasants fight with pitchforks and torches, triumphing with comical slapstick setpieces which would make Marc Davis proud. Soldiers are clobbered with sandbags. One tumbles into the flood waters, his legs thrashing about. An aging abuela wallops a soldier with her skillet. Even Tornado does battle, sitting on one soldier and dueling another with a rapier in his mouth.

VMYtf11ox3JXg6e81Ij6SYehEeIOC-C6mshK0BMPxAF-l8s94zqVwd-mAba4-ZigE3i3ZPO3qGpQS2BiHbxNNZAY8z5mN0NAMuZNP_atp4DNPZKlDhIVLa-CZEW2GCkW0DnjVONz

A gate labeled "PLAZA DE TOROS" lies smashed. Animatronic bulls join the fray, pursuing frightened soldiers on a turntable. One massive bull, steam billowing from his nose, corners Sergeant Garcia trapped inside a wine barrel.

Meanwhile, Zorro engages four soldiers at once in an epic sword duel, a triumphant example of animatronic synchronization. Zorro stands atop an ox cart, seesawing up and down as he trades parries. Peasant women place acequia gates in the currents. Our boat reroutes through ornate gates which read "PALACIO DEL GOBERNADOR." Ahead is the gubernatorial palace of Monastario, bedecked in outrageous fineries like San Bernardino’s Mission Inn. We enter via elaborate oak doors.

-AQgmYM6Rh3lBFUNK6cY6Shef3XWuagPABOYzEYHaHbzDlvfbGTtOT7TRHvZ4reuKQO-XFalpgQ3Hg-VmEx2oL71OK8Hi45A0b_5Pj80rd5cjSwaE8g-kd9QL7ZKDSZLD35Fkl8b

The regal interior is flooded from wall to wall. Waters pour in relentlessly, from windows, from the fireplace, from Baroque statues' weeping eyes. Treasure chests and suits of armor float about. Ironically, a wall tapestry depicts Noah's Ark. The defeated Governor Monastario cowers atop a waterlogged harpsichord, his quivering feet playing an odd tune. Zorro holds Senorita Anita in his arms and cuts a chandelier's rope. Both escape, sailing straight up towards a balcony – another major animatronic set piece! We near a dead end corner. Waterlogged wood rafters rot away. The chandelier crashes ahead. The floor gives way, and we tumble down a climactic 2-floor drop!

x5QCImik_wDiT3vzhKfM3rT8s-g_Em1gVNnqX5xN3g6bXxdRjmoWlovGdswWtih2uDDXNMEjgb1L59RVjwyhoZAtURZJlahN-1ycl5IhzZrcug386tPG_2y0ajceT0zATUF1Ifyo

The boat rushes through Monastario's wine cellar, then emerges from seaside cliffs onto the moonlit Californian coast. Breakwaters crash against rocks. The various villains – Governor Monastario, Sergeant Garcia, the many wicked soldiers – all float on debris tied up and humiliated. They await a Spanish galleon on the horizon, which comes to serve justice.

rnkgD1OD648pxfIXRUHZk6Kc54-Xv8aPXpf-Uvw9joLIP66vArDLdqnwJpj9oo0XbiUCjkFFeC304OJ09rJa5RyyZn4_ZxglCPLg4Zx72rorWsyJ0vj6U7gEHLF7Z_ABmYGsHcw_

We drift towards shore. A beach celebration is underway by torchlight, the sands jam-packed full of animatronic characters. The newly-freed peasants dance. Bernardo juggles bowling pins (held on black lines we cannot see). Anita performs a tango with many senors and senoritas. Even the toros are here, mooing in song! The Chumash natives play a grand musical finale on horns, guitars and accordions. And together, they all sing Zorro's theme...

"Out of the night,
when the full moon is bright,
comes a horseman known as Zorro.
This bold renegade
carves a "Z" with his blade --
a "Z" that stands for Zorro.

Zorro! Zorro! The fox so cunning and free.
Zorro! Zorro! Who makes the sign of the "Z."

He is polite,
but the wicked take flight
when they catch the sight of Zorro.
He's friend of the weak
and the poor and the meak,
this very unique Senor Zorro.

Zorro! Zorro! The fox so cunning and free.
Zorro! Zorro! Who makes the sign of the "Z."

Zorro! Zorro! Zorro! Zorro! Zorro! ..."

We drift from this scene, past bronze plates bearing the Mexican coat of arms. This anticipates the coming Mexican Empire. In the background, a grizzly bear on a hill anticipates the Californian flag, and the region's eventual U.S. statehood.

9dj7hxXO9FNX0PK0SBjfyi4K3dBys8Q7Du3TNrpJd5-v8kpczlJ3nLLzzLwWeflob-q-oI7l981Q8BHLC_Aqxb8BI9j9oY2OrIOhtA7tT8l6zJ8pjCd0wCYf2paaIJIbxZZHPbTJ

Lastly we return to the coastal cliffs where sits de la Vega's hacienda (a forced perspective model). Zorro appears on the shore, riding Tornado. The horse rears back, a stupendous animatronic feat, giving Zorro his iconic pose. Zorro thanks us: "Gracias, mis amigos! The land is freed from tyranny. But someday we must ride again…" Tornado neighs. Lightning crashes! All goes dark.

As our boat enters a cliffside cave, lights returning, we find ourselves back in Zorro's hideout. After returning to the underground dock and unloading, guests proceed up a candlelit tunnel. Faint Spanish guitar strings pluck out Zorro's theme. Guests emerge from the cliffs below the hacienda.

~ ~ ~

What do you think, guys? Once again, I must point out that The Myth of Zorro is a concept that came from the mind of @D Hindley. I just thought it was too good not to use for Port Disney. Now, for our next ride-through, I think we'll stay in Alta Pueblo, so we can take a journey we'll "remember" for quite a long time...

Until the next post, please feel free to leave any comments or feedback you may have!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom