Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Greenlawler

Agreed, but it always cracks me up when the people on the Boardwalk especially right there as we enter that area, yell those encouraging words "you're almost there". I always chuckle to myself, "depends on your definition of almost". Two miles is not mine, but I guess in context it's understandable. Hey they are at least trying to encourage.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
One thing we loved about staying at BCV was that I could walk out along the wooden boardwalk and watch all the marathoners run by at about 24 miles and cheer them on ("Almost done!") and enjoy the costumes-

I recognize that expression....

RunningKoen

I always chuckle to myself, "depends on your definition of almost". Two miles is not mine, but I guess in context it's understandable.

At milemarker 17 I had the point where my mind took over. It started with 'if you go 500 more meter, you'll reach 28K '(I use the metric system normally) and after that the countdown started, sometimes even with just 100 meters, but I kept counting down till I was there.

Because, at 28K, there was only 14K left and thats nothing, right? That was the logic that kept me going. #almostthere
I only ran more than 16K/10M like 5 times in my life, so thats what a marathon does to you I guess.

I do not remember a lot about epcot due to partly dying ;-)

OG Runner

Hello Everyone. I am entered for the marathon in January. I have finished it a couple of times before. I
don't know if anyone has asked yet, but has there been any indication of the course this year? I am
wondering if the construction at DHS will cause problems? Also hoping they can somehow do away
with the out and back around mile 9.

Texas84

Hello Everyone. I am entered for the marathon in January. I have finished it a couple of times before. I
don't know if anyone has asked yet, but has there been any indication of the course this year? I am
wondering if the construction at DHS will cause problems? Also hoping they can somehow do away
with the out and back around mile 9.

They changed the DHS route already to avoid construction so I don't expect any changes. But you never know. Maybe a run through Pandora? :)

OG Runner

Any way you could post last year's race route? I was signed up for last year's race, but unfortunately, I was not able to go.
I am signed up this year and will definitely be there.

Texas84

Here's the 2016 map. You can see the difference.
Marathon-course-2016.jpg

dreamfinder

DHS had been altered last year on course. Previously you ran backstage over to part of the path the backlot tour trams took, coming onstage over in that cul-de-sac area, running through the Streets of America, then down the main drag, going backstage between the camera shop and stroller rental to exit the park that way. Last year you came in backstage and ran through some of the F! overflow queue/exit queues, then down Sunset Blvd before making the left hand turn down the main drag, and going backstage by the camera shop again. Basically staying in the front 1/3 of the park.

wdwjmp239

Hello RunDisney fanatics (or you're just fanatically crazy to run long distances!),

It's that time of year again as I'm already 10 weeks into the Jeff Galloway Run/Walk training program for the WDW Marathon. So far so good on the training as I'm just taking it slow to prevent myself from getting heat exhaustion (summers in Florida are pretty rough). I spent most of my time this summer on the treadmill only because of a very rainy June, hotter than hell July, and even rainier August (we recently just had Noah's Ark-type rains this past weekend - SW Florida was pretty much under water as it rained heavily for almost 4 days straight. Thankfully, we're just now starting to dry out.) The treadmill is a pretty interesting piece of equipment. I've been doing a lot of incline work (2%-4% incline) and the workouts have been pretty exhausting as well as leaving the gym with twitchy-legs. So, the workouts have been pretty effective. This weekend, I'm scheduled to do an 11 mile run and I'm going to take that party on the road. I can't do any more than 7 miles on the treadmill without running the risk of being completely bored out of my skull.

So, I'm just checking in - how's the training coming along? With less than 130 days to go before Marathon Weekend 2018, the window is closing. I have two half marathons scheduled this year (almost back to back - not really doing it for time - just doing it for movement) and on the heels of that, I have a 20 miler scheduled - hopefully, I'll have enough time to taper before January 8th. Let's hope for a warmer start (last year was ridiculously cold and I wasn't prepared for it) this year. But, if it's not.....I'm coming in prepared! :)

lukacseven

DHS had been altered last year on course. Previously you ran backstage over to part of the path the backlot tour trams took, coming onstage over in that cul-de-sac area, running through the Streets of America, then down the main drag, going backstage between the camera shop and stroller rental to exit the park that way. Last year you came in backstage and ran through some of the F! overflow queue/exit queues, then down Sunset Blvd before making the left hand turn down the main drag, and going backstage by the camera shop again. Basically staying in the front 1/3 of the park.
Agreed - no need to change the DHS portion from last year. There's a golden opportunity to eliminate the Western Way out-and-back and re-route the course through Pandora.

OG Runner

Any revision that gets rid of the Western Way out and back would be appreciated. I used to love the race track.
You know you were still running a mile, but just the way it was set up, was more enjoyable. You came in around
mile 8 and you were leaving around mile 9. The one and back, somehow, is mind numbing to me.

6laurac

I've never ran a Disney race so Jan. 7 will be my first and last big exciting time at a racecation. Should I wear my magic band during the race to get back into my room or store it with my phone in my waist bag? Also (a dumb question I know) for those who wear Minnie/Mickey ears, how do you keep something on your head for 26 miles? I just want to wear mine at the end of the race for my finish line picture. Thanks

dreamfinder

I've never ran a Disney race so Jan. 7 will be my first and last big exciting time at a racecation. Should I wear my magic band during the race to get back into my room or store it with my phone in my waist bag? Also (a dumb question I know) for those who wear Minnie/Mickey ears, how do you keep something on your head for 26 miles? I just want to wear mine at the end of the race for my finish line picture. Thanks

Congrats! It really comes down to your preference. I choose to wear mine, but that's just me. Means my arm is pretty full from my Garmin and the other assorted bracelets I wear on it. If you have a waist pouch it will fit in, then that works too. The biggest thing I have run into with having multiple things in a pouch/pocket if it you take them out making sure not to lose anything. If you won't be pulling stuff out, then it's not a problem but I wouldn't want to lose phone or room key while running. With the new MagicBand having the removable puck, that does give you more options though.

RE Mickey Ears, pretty sure my DW used alot of bobby pins, but she hasn't worn them for more than 6.2. But it depends on the set. Mine were really simple, just an elastic head/hair band with two ears glued on, and hers have all been custom made ones from Etsy. And some of those came with things that looked like the velco hooks on the underside to help keep them in place. Not sure how those bands compare to the official ones. If you just want them for crossing the finish if you have people cheering for you, you could try to have them get there early enough to hand them to you over the barricades before the finish area.

Texas84

I always run wearing my band. Works well for me. Can't help with the ears though. :)

wdwjmp239

Hurricane IRMA and fixing up her damage around the house has really screwed with my marathon training. The house is fine, but with everything that needs to be done around here....it's never ending! Hopefully, I can catch a break and get out Sunday to go for a run. Thanks IRMA!! Way to really screw with the training over here. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom