Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

GoofyRacer11

Thinking of registering for the 1/2 marathon in January. How quickly does the registration fill up?

It usually doesn't sell out until between the beginning of September and end of October. It also depends on the runner capacity that Disney sets for the race and since people don't spend as much in a suffering economy, the economy plays apart too. Also since its an anniversary year for the marathon, more people will be signing up for that. In my opinion, you should have until September, but I would keep checking the marathon website once in a while to see out fast it is filling up.

Ariel484

It usually doesn't sell out until between the beginning of September and end of October. It also depends on the runner capacity that Disney sets for the race and since people don't spend as much in a suffering economy, the economy plays apart too. Also since its an anniversary year for the marathon, more people will be signing up for that. In my opinion, you should have until September, but I would keep checking the marathon website once in a while to see out fast it is filling up.

Thinking of registering for the 1/2 marathon in January. How quickly does the registration fill up?

Yeah, I think they'll start posting how full it is once it reaches 50% capacity.

A few years back it would sell out by May, but times have changed. Just keep checking runDisney.com for updates.

dreamfinder

I don't even remember it filling up that fast the year of the 5th anniversary.

I seem to recall it hit the 50% fairly early, but then kinda stagnated and slowly crept up from there. A huge difference from when it would sell out a month after opening. Amazing what doubling or tripling the field size does to sell out rates.

lukacseven

Not to change the subject, but...This will be year 8 for the marathon weekend and we're looking for some new ideas of places to eat the night before the races. Ate one year at Kona and it didn't sit well the next morning, so looking for something a little more basic, preferably pasta. We're staying at Kidani Village. Already been to: Tutto Italia, Il Mulino, Portobello, Olivia's...ideas?

GoofyRacer11

Not to change the subject, but...This will be year 8 for the marathon weekend and we're looking for some new ideas of places to eat the night before the races. Ate one year at Kona and it didn't sit well the next morning, so looking for something a little more basic, preferably pasta. We're staying at Kidani Village. Already been to: Tutto Italia, Il Mulino, Portobello, Olivia's...ideas?

Well I have done 3 Disney races and we went to
Earl of Sandwich the night before and have had no
problems during the race.

Ariel484

The night before the 2011 Princess Half we ate at Chefs de France...which was bold/stupid looking back on it. That food is heavy! Luckily we didn't have any issues.

The night before the 2012 Marathon we are at Via Napoli. I had a personal pizza and my brother had some sort of pasta dish with clams I think. Again, we didn't have any issues. For the Goofy Challenge in 2013 I think we're going to go here the night before the half...not sure what we'll do the night before the full.

I'd like to think any place that you've been to once or twice before and haven't had any issues with would be safe, but who knows?! :shrug:

MKCP 1985

Carrabba's - offsite. There is one on 192 which is very close to your hotel and is not nearly as crowded as the one around 535 / Vineland Ave. Much better price than onsite and all the pasta you care to consume.

Texas84

Some of my pre-race meals that went well:

Steak & baked potato at Longhorn Steakhouse.

Pasta & shrimp at Cap'n Jack's Downtown Disney - might be my new tradition

Jambalaya at House of Blues (probably not a good idea for most)

frank2271

We usually stay at an All-Star Resort and have always had the pasta "deal" in the food court. We plan on doing that again this year for the Dopey.

lukacseven

We usually stay at an All-Star Resort and have always had the pasta "deal" in the food court. We plan on doing that again this year for the Dopey.

I was actually surprised that more resorts didn't offer the basic pasta dinner that they do at the All-Star Resorts. That was perfect. One year we went from OKW over to AS Sports for just that reason, but changing busses was too much of a hassle.

dreamfinder

I've done the gamut from pasta at the POFQ food court, to dinner at V&A's prior to WDW races. The only one that I regret is eating at BlueZoo prior to the 1st W&D half. Didn't sit very well, but that was most likely due to the fact dinner was only 4 hours prior to the race.

fmingo36

Last year the night before the marathon, we ate at Portobello's. My friend and I shared a Margherita pizza. We felt fine during the race. There are plenty of pasta options on the menu as well.

I always by the race breakfast box (bagel, banana, water, etc) at the resort the night before so I have something to munch on for the bus ride over to the starting line.

dreamfinder

Last year the night before the marathon, we ate at Portobello's. My friend and I shared a Margherita pizza. We felt fine during the race. There are plenty of pasta options on the menu as well.

I always by the race breakfast box (bagel, banana, water, etc) at the resort the night before so I have something to munch on for the bus ride over to the starting line.

I normally bring/buy bagels for that same purpose. But this last January AKL actually had a table setup in the lobby with bananas, water, and those Sara Lee pre-packaged bagels. For free!! Not sure if this was something that they did at other resorts, or was just the AKL management being wicked awesome. If any AKL staff reads this, huge thanks for the snacks.

lukacseven

I normally bring/buy bagels for that same purpose. But this last January AKL actually had a table setup in the lobby with bananas, water, and those Sara Lee pre-packaged bagels. For free!! Not sure if this was something that they did at other resorts, or was just the AKL management being wicked awesome. If any AKL staff reads this, huge thanks for the snacks.

That was one of the other nice things about All-Stars - since the food court wasn't open in the morning, they had bagged breakfast you piced up the night before - banana, bagel, yogurt, drink. Nothing like that at Kidani Village, but that's probably becuase of the kitchens in the rooms. Last year went with Garden Grocer instead of the Disney grocery serivce (which I think was just Publix anyway) and they were cheaper and offer greater variety.

Kandi

Does anyone know how full the marathon is yet? I have a 10k on the 20th and want to use the results for that to give an estimated time to Disney, but if its filling up quick i might just register now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom